Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,589 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) (664 Views)

Common Errors In English And Their Corrections / Common English Errors We Make During Conversation / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by Okoyepeter442(m): 5:09pm On Mar 19
The English language is what we would refer to as an L2 language, that is, a second language. In Nigeria, the English language is our lingua franca or what we would commonly call "official language" in English.
Interestingly, it is obvious that the English language has not been rooted deep in our tongue and oral lifestyle which is why we make mistakes while using the language, most times unknowingly. Most of these mistakes have been normalized overtime to the extent that we (Nigerians) and by extension Africans now see them as grammatically correct whereas the otherwise is the case.

In this article, I am going to share 20 most popular and common mistakes we make while using the English language; most times we make these mistakes out of ignorance. In this write-up, you will be awed to see the corrections.
NB: The ones in the brackets are the correct grammar.

1) I should have went somewhere!
( I should have gone somewhere!)

2) Last night, I dreamt with you.
(Last night, I dreamt about you)

3) I look foward to meet you.
(I look foward to meeting you)

4) She is lacking behind in her academics.
(She is lagging behind in her academics)

5) Leave me in peace!
(Leave me alone!)

6) I did it by my own.
(I did it on my own)

7) Have you been in UNN?
(Have you been to UNN?)

cool There are less biscuits now.
(There are fewer biscuits now)

9) I don't use a watch.
(I don't wear a watch)

10) It's more cold now.
(It's colder now)

11) Who shall I invite?
(Whom shall I invite?)

12) Everybody are fine.
(Everybody is fine)

13) Pay salaries as at when due!
(Pay salaries as and when due!)

14) Hand me my traveling back!
(Hand me my travel bag!)

15) I've been here since five months.
(I've been here for five months)

16) She got on the car and drove away.
(She got in the car and drove away)

17) I invite you.
(It's on me)

18) He spoke in my behalf.
(He spoke on my behalf)

19) The director was sacked.
(The director was dismissed)

20) My names are...
(My name is...)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by Tohsynetita1: 7:28pm On Mar 19
why is 19 incorrect? is sacked not same as dissmissed?

2 Likes

Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by Tohsynetita1: 7:29pm On Mar 19
only, 17, 13, 10 that's not common, others are something most people know.

1 Like

Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by NPFLADMIN(m): 8:26pm On Mar 19
Also, stop using Am for I'm. I'm is the short form of I am. Am is a verb used with "I" only.

1 Like

Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by Benwallt(m): 9:52pm On Mar 19
Correct this;

A. I don't like pancakes. Me too
Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by hstar: 10:53pm On Mar 19
Following
Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by Cassandraloius: 4:18am On Mar 20
Nice
Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by MrBroke(m): 3:24pm On Mar 20
People hardly make these mistakes when speaking.
Re: Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections (A Must Read) by TGCML: 11:28am On Apr 19
Buy WAEC GCE Pins, WAEC Result Checker Scratch Card, Neco Result Token, NABTEB Result Checker Scratch Card on https://myexampin.com/

(1) (Reply)

Any Nairalanders At London Oxford College / Apology To Her / Need University Admission - Get Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.