Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,542 members, 7,837,085 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? (452 Views)

Bad Driving Habits That Reduce Your Car Battery’s Life / Bad Driving Habits That Damage Your Car / My 2003 Camry Automatic Gear Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by fineboynl(m): 3:06pm On Mar 20
When you drive to a stop. Before you do anything use Ur hand brake first before moving the gear to park.

I was making the mistake before now. As I will put it in park first before using the hand brake.

Gauging the transmission oil. Majority of us make this mistake of gauging the transmission oil.

The best way to gauge your gear oil. Start the car and put the gear on drive. Use the hand brake. Then gauge the gear oil.
Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by Chingyyy878: 10:10pm On Mar 20
Abeg, who understand wetin op dey talk
Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by 2shure: 11:02pm On Mar 20
Automanual is back with his dumb words. U put gear in neutral ,draw hand or leg brake up/down b4 placing gear in park.dunce

2 Likes

Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by jomarick(m): 11:45pm On Mar 20
You keep talking about hand breaks, do you know an automatic car would move with the park break on? The key is to make sure you're stopped completely before shifting to part or reverse. To ensure that, press the break down fully before shifting.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by Babatundehy: 6:56am On Mar 21
jomarick:
You keep talking about hand breaks, do you know an automatic car would move with the park break on? The key is to make sure you're stopped completely before shifting to part or reverse. To ensure that, press the break down fully before shifting.

The op's post has caused a lot of argument on many forums, the common talk is to be at a stop, shift the gear stick to neutral, pull up the hand brake, and then shift to park, those maintaining this is the right sequence claim the transmission's parking pawl will not have to carry the weight of the vehicle if the hand brake is applied before the car is shifted to park.
This argument is more valid when the vehicle is parked on an incline, like a steep hill, if you park in such a place there will be more pressure on the transmission's parking pawl as it is holding the weight of the vehicle and when you're ready to leave you might not be able to shift out of park or you hear a loud bang when you finally do shift out of park, this is from my research online, I'm not a mechanic!!
So it is advised you be at a total stop, apply the handbrake, and then shift into park when parking your vehicle on an incline, this way, the vehicle's weight is on the handbrake and just not the transmission's parking pawl.
And yeah I remember when I was learning to drive I'll often remember to use the handbrake while parking and then forget to disengage the handbrake when taking off, the car would still move and I'd sometimes reach my destination before finding out, then I didn't notice any drag as I was learning to drive and didn't even cross 20mph so it was hard to notice if anything was pulling back the car, the post is educative, God bless the OP.

1 Like

Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by vivalavida(m): 7:44am On Mar 21
2shure:
Automanual is back with his dumb words. U put gear in neutral ,draw hand or leg brake up/down b4 placing gear in park.dunce

This is the correct way

But you could have said this without the abusive words. Seems you are angrygoat.

1 Like

Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by fineboynl(m): 8:08am On Mar 21
Babatundehy:

The op's post has caused a lot of argument on many forums, the common talk is to be at a stop, shift the gear stick to neutral, pull up the hand brake, and then shift to park, those maintaining this is the right sequence claim the transmission's parking pawl will not have to carry the weight of the vehicle if the hand brake is applied before the car is shifted to park.
This argument is more valid when the vehicle is parked on an incline, like a steep hill, if you park in such a place there will be more pressure on the transmission's parking pawl as it is holding the weight of the vehicle and when you're ready to leave you might not be able to shift out of park or you hear a loud bang when you finally do shift out of park, this is from my research online, I'm not a mechanic!!
So it is advised you be at a total stop, apply the handbrake, and then shift into park when parking your vehicle on an incline, this way, the vehicle's weight is on the handbrake and just not the transmission's parking pawl.
And yeah I remember when I was learning to drive I'll often remember to use the handbrake while parking and then forget to disengage the handbrake when taking off, the car would still move and I'd sometimes reach my destination before finding out, then I didn't notice any drag as I was learning to drive and didn't even cross 20mph so it was hard to notice if anything was pulling back the car, the post is educative, God bless the OP.
talking from experience. I don't notice any drag or noise. As you come to a stop with leg brake. apply the hand brake then move the gear to park. Fastest and simply way.

1 Like

Re: Bad Driving Behaviour Is What Cause Gear Problem? by Pootle: 6:26pm On Mar 21
Chingyyy878:
Abeg, who understand wetin op dey talk

thankgod i think say na only me

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is Front And Back Catalyst For Honda 2011 / History Of BMW? / Buy Gearbox With 20% OFF Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.