Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,937 members, 7,810,605 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:57 AM

LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database (9530 Views)

Moove Is Impounding Uber Drivers’ Cars In Nigeria / Security: LASG Begins Clampdown On Illegal Commercial Motorcycle Operators / Apapa Gridlock: Taskforce To Commence Impounding Trucks Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Morbeta11(m): 5:54am On Mar 21

Lagos government begins impounding Uber/Moove vehicles over failure to provide access to database

..the state officials operate by ordering rides on the Uber platform only to set upon the drivers who accepted the rides, deflate their tyres and impound their vehicles.

The Lagos State Ministry of Transportation has reportedly started impounding vehicles belonging to e-hailing drivers operating on the Uber app.

According to people close to the matter, the latest clampdown is due to the e-hailing company’s refusal to integrate its API with the state government’s so that they may have access to the company’s database which includes information about drivers and riders alike.

Moove vehicles are particularly targeted because they are unique and it is common knowledge that they all operate on the Uber platform. According to drivers whose vehicles were impounded, the ministry adopted a Gestapo-styled tactic to lure them. One of the victims explained that the MOT officials operated by ordering rides on the Uber platform only to set upon the drivers who accepted the rides, deflate their tyres and impound their vehicles.

According to Sunday, a Moove driver whose vehicle has been impounded:

“I came to Alausa to drop a passenger, and somebody ordered me. Thinking that it was a passenger, they tricked me into a compound, and before I knew what was happening they took the keys from me and deflated my tyres. I asked them what’s the problem and they said Uber has a problem with the government.”

The story was further corroborated by the PRO of the Lagos State chapter of the Amalgamated Union of App-based Transporters of Nigeria (AUATON), Comrade Iwindoye Steven. Comrade Steven, in a statement, said the Lagos State government, through the Ministry of Transportation (MOT), has initiated enforcement actions against the company.

According to the statement, the action is due to the company’s refusal to provide API integration to the Lagos government from their users. The PRO also advised his comrades to ditch the company’s app until the issues between the company and the government are resolved.

“Despite multiple letters sent by the government, Uber has not complied, leading to the decision to enforce the arrest of Uber app users. As a responsible union, we aim to protect our members from the subjugation of this app company and the Lagos government. Therefore, we recommend temporarily ceasing the use of the Uber app,” the statement said.

Database access: is Uber breaking any law?
It appears Uber is breaking the laws of Lagos State by its reported failure to grant the Ministry of Transportation access to its database via an API integration. This is because such a refusal contravenes the provisions of the Lagos State taxi-hailing regulation which mandates every taxi-hailing company to do so.

Section 4.1 item x of the said regulation states that[b] “all operators of e-hailing taxi services MUST give the ministry access to their database.” [/b]In light of that, Uber must contact the ministry to resolve the current impasse before it degenerates further.

Unfortunately, drivers, or driver-partners, as the companies like to call them, are bearing the direct brunt of the government’s clampdown. No fewer than a dozen drivers already have their vehicles impounded by the ministry. And the drivers, who mostly want to go about their normal business, are ruing their losses.

“If Uber has a problem with the government, we drivers are not supposed to be affected. I’m not an Uber staff, I don’t work for Uber. I only use their app. So it’s surprising to me now that my vehicle is impounded, my tyres deflated, and nobody could explain the reason this thing is happening to me,” Sunday said.

Uber’s recent travails in Nigeria
In Nigeria, Uber seems to be finding itself in difficult situations with city authorities lately.

Recently, Technext reported that the company might lose its license to operate in Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja due to its failure to secure operating licences from the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) through its Transport Secretary.

The FCTA revealed that only two ride-hailing companies have been approved to operate exclusively in the city. The companies are Estonian ride-hailing giant, Bolt, and Nairaxi, an indigenous mobility startup that won the innovator’s competition organized by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) held February 2023.

Now, the ride-hailing giant, which recently backed Moove in a mega fundraising round, has another scuffle to resolve with the government authorities in its biggest African market, Lagos.

N.B: This reporter reached out to Uber for comments but is yet to get one at the time of this report.
https://technext24.com/2024/03/20/uber-lagos-govt-impounding-vehicles/

7 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Absuchat(m): 5:59am On Mar 21
Lagos state is gradually becoming the worse state to live and do business in.
So many frustrating laws .
Tufiakwa

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Shellsploit: 6:06am On Mar 21
We moove!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Splashme: 6:06am On Mar 21
The greedy LASG wants to start taxing poor Uber drivers per trip.

29 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Shadomaan7: 6:21am On Mar 21
Na wa o, Lagos state officials don start again with their wahala for UberMoove drivers, all because of database access wahala. E no go better for them!

28 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by helinues: 6:54am On Mar 21
Good.

That would reduce the crime within the Uber transportation sector

28 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by helinues: 6:55am On Mar 21
Shadomaan7:
Na wa o, Lagos state officials don start again with their wahala for UberMoove drivers, all because of database access wahala. E no go better for them!

Eh heh, so LASG shouldn't have the database of the acclaimed Uber driver when there are criminals amongs them.

Don't be blinded with politics, think things logically before dropping opata

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Faiththatworks(m): 6:59am On Mar 21
I throway salute for Lagos State Government.
Seriously Lagos-state is far ahead of other subnationals in Nigeria.
I believe this move by the government is simply a way to protect the citizens of the state. For those who don't understand the story but simply like to criticize the actions of government,I believe I can break it down for you.
All the government is doing is simply trying to have a database of all registered drivers on the Uber and Moore,the API is the back end where all the information is stored,by accessing it, Government can easily trace any driver who commits a crime without having to go the company.
It's simply killing a bird with One very big stone,I believe the company is trying to protect its database but if there's a law that requires it to provide the database of all its drivers,it's better it complies or disengages from operating in the state.
I sympathize with all the drivers whose vehicles have been seized,but bolt and Moore should do the needful instead of putting their drivers through such a traumatic experience.
God bless Lagos State
God bless Nigeria........

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by aderadio1: 7:18am On Mar 21
Is it the fault of the drivers that Uber hq in Nigeria did not provide what is required of them? LASG should deal with Uber directly by giving the deadline of which if they did not meet their licence to operate will be suspended until they comply..

Why is our government always targeting the wrong people?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by McCarlito(m): 7:19am On Mar 21
Ena thank u oo for the many months of ban.... Pipo wey ena ban all of together don deactivate sef.....
Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Asonaijaaso: 7:19am On Mar 21
ALL THESE APPS BUSINESSES OPERATING IN NIGERIA SHOULD BE MANDATED TO SHARE THEIR DATABASE.

AT LEAST WITH THE SECURITY APPARATUS, AMERICA WILL NOT ALLOW NIGERIA TO OPERATE AN APP SERVICE IN AMERICA

WITHOUT AN OVERSIGHT.

HOWEVER ABUSE SHOULD BE GUARDED AGAINST.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Coolestguy2023: 7:19am On Mar 21
LASG always acting like bastards sometimes. Why taking actions on the innocent drivers for the non compliance of UBER?

Same thing LASPA were doing by locking peoples car that comes to a facility to purchase items just because the facility is yet to pay parking permit.
Very foolish actions

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by AntiChristian: 7:19am On Mar 21
undecided

I pity the drivers whose cars are impounded!

But why can't Uber obey the law?

1 Like

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by DenreleDave(m): 7:19am On Mar 21
Lagos state... Abeg leave this people alone ooooo..

There is too much hardship in the land, let the people breathe abeg...

17 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Greenback: 7:22am On Mar 21
Wow.
This govt is hell bent on ruining the lives and business of it's citizens.
So they are now taking orders from MC oluomo?!
Their agberoes are making lives hell for danfo and keke operators while they are now looking for the Uber people to give wahala. Even bike courier guys are not left out as agberoes chase and harass them on the roads everyday!
They are very wicked people,all of them..and they are all y.m.m people. When the head of lastman decided to sell seized vehicles of citizens,you know exactly what I'm talking about! And check very well,they are y.m.m. wicked people.

Omoh,get your money and move out of this Kain kwantiri if you can o....

4 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Yankee101: 7:23am On Mar 21
Wickedness
Is the driver Uber ?
The wickedness in Lagos revenue generation with no human face or feeling is what Tinubu is trying to impose on nigeria
E pass your power

1 Like

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Onefornaija24: 7:23am On Mar 21
Faiththatworks:
I throway salute for Lagos State Government.
Seriously Lagos-state is far ahead of other subnationals in Nigeria.
I believe this move by the government is simply a way to protect the citizens of the state. For those who don't understand the story but simply like to criticize the actions of government,I believe I can break it down for you.
All the government is doing is simply trying to have a database of all registered drivers on the Uber and Moore,the API is the back end where all the information is stored,by accessing it, Government can easily trace any driver who commits a crime without having to go the company.
It's simply killing a bird with One very big stone,I believe the company is trying to protect its database but if there's a law that requires it to provide the database of all its drivers,it's better it complies or disengages from operating in the state.
I sympathize with all the drivers whose vehicles have been seized,but bolt and Moore should do the needful instead of putting their drivers through such a traumatic experience.
God bless Lagos State
God bless Nigeria........

they merely want tax

don't think they like you like that

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by kaywhy09(m): 7:25am On Mar 21
That's absolutely wrong!

It's more like confiscating users' mobile phone for using Uber.

5 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by DesChyko: 7:28am On Mar 21
helinues:
Don't be blinded with politics, think things logically before dropping opata

In that case, LASG can start apprehending learners and parents of a school when the school fails to comply with Ministry of Education/Quality Assurance directives.

Take your own advice, Chieft

Meanwhile, fellow employees in private businesses who pay taxes, do you walk down to LIRS to pay your taxes or your company deducts PAYE from your earnings? I need to ask because it's beginning to look like paying taxes started yesterday.

10 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by COMPAQ(m): 7:28am On Mar 21
Splashme:
The greedy LASG wants to start taxing poor Uber drivers per trip.

You call it greedy, but should people earn income and refuse to pay income taxes?

But yet I'm sure you want government to subsidize everything for you
Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by UpTown001(m): 7:30am On Mar 21
Imagine the government suffocating the poor struggling masses. But stuffing up billions for their unborn children.
Posterity would never be kind to whoever in power that has made life uneasy for the common man

2 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Whois(m): 7:31am On Mar 21
They should temper justice with mercy. Some of those drivers are on hire purchase

1 Like

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Greenback: 7:32am On Mar 21
Onefornaija24:

they merely want tax

don't think they like you like that
Gbam. That's all this is about.

1 Like

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by Judolisco(m): 7:32am On Mar 21
Person go finish from sch start to dey drive car up and down... U think d youth like dis kind of job, despite increasing fuel price, some of us still dey drive even when there's little gain in it.... If government has a problem with uber, let them take it up with the company, leave d car, stop taking away means of livelihood from youths....

3 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by PHIPEX(m): 7:33am On Mar 21
Integrate to govt API? Which business will do that that? Even CBN does not have API integration with banks.

So they will do same in every state they operate? It's like asking banks to also integrate their API to govt agencies.

Where did Sanwolu get all these overzealous appointees from?

4 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by CaptainFM1: 7:35am On Mar 21
Absuchat:
Tufiakwa

Is it so difficult to provide data for the state you're doing business?

Uber won't try this in many cities of the world.

1 Like

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by loadedvibes: 7:35am On Mar 21
People be screaming access to the database would allow for catching criminals.. I say it's total nonsense.. the LASG has access to NIN, FRSC, BVN and all the other database of Nigeria.. have dey finished making use of those ones? Nonsense government looking for more ways to make life difficult for the citizens.

6 Likes

Re: LASG Begins Impounding Uber/moove Vehicles Over Failure To Provide Database by badoh(m): 7:35am On Mar 21
Absuchat:
Tufiakwa
How I wish you can see the benefit of this initiative rather than rushing to make apt comment. Access to database could also help to detect some kidnappers disguising as Uber driver.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians In The Uk. / Living In Liberia / How Possible To Travel Out If You Don't Know Anyone Abroad To Stay With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.