Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car (1205 Views)

No Car Brand Or Model Is BAD. Do You AGREE Or DISAGREE With That? / A Few Weeks After I Bought My First Car, I Went Home Forgetting That I Had A Car / POSSIBLE? FROM NO CAR TO NEW SPORT LOOKING CAR WITH JUST N985K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 8:54pm On Mar 23
My dad was recently very ill in the middle of the night and I was at his place, we couldn't get Uber to take him to hospital because of car no dey, thank God he didn't die. This episode made me think of getting a car at least for mobility sake if not for anything.

Please I need help of Gurus in the house, what car can I buy that'll save fuel, good reliability and won't cost much in terms of maintenance. My budget is between 3-3.5m

I will be in the comment section thanks for your contributions.

Cc nurey, gazzuzz , weyreypey, kingreign, marpol
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by kestolove95(m): 8:59pm On Mar 23
So you get this kind money you no buy car since? U go stingy

6 Likes

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by nurey(m): 9:03pm On Mar 23
Slizzords:
My dad was recently very ill in the middle of the night and I was at his place, we couldn't get Uber to take him to hospital because of car no dey, thank God he didn't die. This episode made me think of getting a car at least for mobility sake if not for anything.

Please I need help of Gurus in the house, what car can I buy that'll save fuel, good reliability and won't cost much in terms of maintenance. My budget is between 3-3.5m

Sorry about your old man. Find
Honda civic 2003 2005 and 2006 upwards
Honda crv 2002 to 2006
Hyundai/kia Accent/Rio 2006 to 2010

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 9:12pm On Mar 23
nurey:

Honda crv 2002 to 2006
Thanks boss, I recently saw a Naija used hyundai accent 2013 for 3.2m. Is it a good buy? What's the reliability of the car and hope it's not a car that gives problems
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 9:13pm On Mar 23
kestolove95:
So you get this kind money you no buy car since? U go stingy
I no get money oh,car is just a necessity at this point in time for me

1 Like

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 9:21pm On Mar 23
Please don't look and pass. I need suggestions and advice

1 Like

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by heffem(m): 9:41pm On Mar 23
Slizzords:

Ain't you considering the 2012 model of mazda3 ? Easy to maintain and consumes lesser fuel
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by AyGrafix: 9:48pm On Mar 23
I have Corolla 2004 & Honda CR-V for that price range available. 07049108370 WhatsApp
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by AyGrafix: 9:52pm On Mar 23
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by yak(m): 9:55pm On Mar 23
nurey:

Honda crv 2002 to 2006

Are these cars not too old with possibility of a little more troubles?
Please, I'm asking for knowledge not to argue
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 9:58pm On Mar 23
heffem:

Ain't you considering the 2012 model of mazda3 ? Easy to maintain and consumes lesser fuel
what do you think of the hyundai accent 2013 ?
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by alphaNomega: 10:13pm On Mar 23
Slizzords:
Thanks boss, I recently saw a Naija used hyundai accent 2013 for 3.2m. Is it a good buy? What's the reliability of the car and hope it's not a car that gives problems
Before nigeria's economy went to shit, this money would get you 3 tear rubber Kia Picanto, or one latest model tear rubber corolla

1 Like

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by heffem(m): 10:40pm On Mar 23
Slizzords:
what do you think of the hyundai accent 2013 ?
Hyundai accent is not on the list of few cars that I've driven.... But, I don't think it's a bad model... You can give it a try thou
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by nurey(m): 5:21am On Mar 24
Slizzords:

Avoid those, wacky and troublesome engine, AC compressor bad design. Replacement engine expensive for such category.

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by nurey(m): 5:24am On Mar 24
yak:

Are these cars not too old with possibility of a little more troubles?
Please, I'm asking for knowledge not to argue

My honda is 13years in Nigeria, I only change oil, brake pads, the toughest trouble it gave was oil leak from engine seal which was fixed in a day.

Old cars don't mean trouble if they are well maintained and have parts available in the market.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Originalsly: 5:54am On Mar 24
Toyota Camry .... Big Daddy .... 4 cylinder .... is pretty good on gas ... low maintenance.... rugged and reliable... if not maintained by Kazeems. Look around... you'll see many everywhere... testimony of their endurance. Very much underrated because of " looks" ... so very much underpriced.
Toyota Camry Hybrid.... very much underrated and underpriced....excellent on gas and very reliable.
Subaru ... pretty much the same as Toyota ... (they are connected).. very reliable... AWD ... very much underrated and underpriced.
Hyundai... I've never seen one in a repair shop ... nor broke down on the road. But an owner (Uber) told me they are very good up to the 100K miles warranty then things begin to quickly go down hill.

3 Likes

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by yak(m): 1:39pm On Mar 24
nurey:

My honda is 13years in Nigeria, I only change oil, brake pads, the toughest trouble it gave was oil leak from engine seal which was fixed in a day.

Old cars don't mean trouble if they are well maintained and have parts available in the market.

Thanks Bro!
Which Honda are you using sir?
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by nurey(m): 2:11pm On Mar 24
yak:

Thanks Bro!
Which Honda are you using sir?

Element
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by yak(m): 4:12pm On Mar 24
nurey:

Element

Have heard many good things about that car too
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Esiri111(m): 6:13am On Mar 26
If you can bargain well, Camry Big daddy or Honda Anaconda
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Morphinne: 5:51am On Mar 27
Slizzords:

Hope he’s now feeling better? You weren’t specific about the car you want really. Do you want Foreign or Nigerian or used and sedan or SUV? Since your priority is mobility and fuel efficiency, I’ll advice that you go for foreign used Honda civic or a Nigerian used Toyota Corolla. I would sincerely not recommend the later because it attracts thieves and can be stolen/vandalized very easily but the earlier is not any better either at least, in the coming days because Uber have started approving them and what to expect is higher demand for it which will ultimately result to more theft. If you aren’t bothered about this issue (assuming you will invest in extensive security and not parking your car carelessly) then they are your best bet for fuel economy and reliability. If fueling won’t be a problem, then I would personally choose a duly inspected Nigerian used 2010 upwards Accord or naija used 05-08 Toyota Avalon or an 08-09 Honda CRV.
Also, pls avoid Hyundai and don’t buy any cheap luxury cars from Germany (bmw, Benz, Audi, Volkswagen etc) Cheap German cars are the most expensive! Don’t be fooled by their pricing because I’m sure you’ll be seeing Benz C series at ridiculous prices like 1.5-2.9 million. Don’t be fooled, they aren’t cheap and remember to not buy what others are running from since it’s your first car.
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 8:16am On Mar 27
Morphinne:

Hope he’s now feeling better? You weren’t specific about the car you want really. Do you want Foreign or Nigerian or used and sedan or SUV? Since your priority is mobility and fuel efficiency, I’ll advice that you go for foreign used Honda civic or a Nigerian used Toyota Corolla. I would sincerely not recommend the later because it attracts thieves and can be stolen/vandalized very easily but the earlier is not any better either at least, in the coming days because Uber have started approving them and what to expect is higher demand for it which will ultimately result to more theft. If you aren’t bothered about this issue (assuming you will invest in extensive security and not parking your car carelessly) then they are your best bet for fuel economy and reliability. If fueling won’t be a problem, then I would personally choose a duly inspected Nigerian used 2010 upwards Accord or naija used 05-08 Toyota Avalon or an 08-09 Honda CRV.
Also, pls avoid Hyundai and don’t buy any cheap luxury cars from Germany (bmw, Benz, Audi, Volkswagen etc) Cheap German cars are the most expensive! Don’t be fooled by their pricing because I’m sure you’ll be seeing Benz C series at ridiculous prices like 1.5-2.9 million. Don’t be fooled, they aren’t cheap and remember to not buy what others are running from since it’s your first car.
Good morning boss, he's feeling better now thanks. Prices of Tokunbo cars are over the roof now, so am looking at settling for a clean naija used sedan or Suv that won't have much issues. I went to inspect a Toyota camry05 yesterday and my female mechanic friend asked me not to buy it.

My mind is looking at a camry 2010, Honda accord 2010, just something with a little oomph, I don't like corolla because of the commonality on Nigerian roads.

If you have other suggestions too I wouldn't mind thanks
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Morphinne: 10:05am On Mar 27
Slizzords:
Good morning boss, he's feeling better now thanks. Prices of Tokunbo cars are over the roof now, so am looking at settling for a clean naija used sedan or Suv that won't have much issues. I went to inspect a Toyota camry05 yesterday and my female mechanic friend asked me not to buy it.

My mind is looking at a camry 2010, Honda accord 2010, just something with a little oomph, I don't like corolla because of the commonality on Nigerian roads.

I personally don’t like anything Corolla and even Toyota Camry (both big daddy and muscle)
I tilt more towards Honda and the only Toyota I can recommend for you will be Toyota Avalon (you can get a clean Nigerian used 05-08 Avalon for as low as 3-3.5M) I will personally not buy any one below 2.8M but ensure you go with your mechanic.
08 camry has prevalent dashboard melting issue and engine oil drying up too quickly though it’s a nice, rugged car. The Avalon is spacious, luxurious and almost identical to the IS and ES Lexus but longer with generous cargo space and leg room. The interior is super nice and comfortable but the leather and dashboard materials are not solid. The peel off rather easily and the dashboard cracks easily too. Also avoid any pre 2010 Honda accord. Though the leg-pulling issue shouldn’t be an issue if you are the observant type and if you take good care of your car but I would rather avoid it altogether if I were you.
Another thing I don’t really like about accord is something I’ve noticed but haven’t been seeing people talking about it. The body starts getting bloated over time even though they look elegant on the inside (interior)
If you want the best alternative to the Nigerian-overhyped rav4 SuV, then Honda CrV is your best bet. Just go for an 07-09 model and if I were you, I would paint it all matte black to give it a touch of masculinity grin The interior is nice but Honda could have done better like they did with the 2012 models. If you live in rough terrain, I will strongly suggest going for the crv but if you are a speed person, it may not be what you want because it’s a 4-cylinder machine but where are we running to?. It also comes in 4WD but it’s not as common as the 2wheels drive models.

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by MasterJayJay: 11:14am On Mar 27
Slizzords:

Na you dey look for uber. No keke rider in your street? Nawa!

1 Like

Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by speedfreak(m): 12:47pm On Mar 28
Slizzords:

The Honda accord would be a good buy, carry out due dilligence and you would enjoy the car. Good fuel economy, decent oomph(avoid the v6 models tho), bulletproof engine, luxurious interior, available and relatively cheap parts. I've owned two and would gladly buy all over again. Forget the honda talk, you'd enjoy the car through and through. If you do get the car, i have a couple parts from my 2012 that i could give away.
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 12:55pm On Mar 28
speedfreak:

The Honda accord would be a good buy, carry out due dilligence and you would enjoy the car. Good fuel economy, decent oomph(avoid the v6 models tho), bulletproof engine, luxurious interior, available and relatively cheap parts. I've owned two and would gladly buy all over again. Forget the honda talk, you'd enjoy the car through and through. If you do get the car, i have a couple parts from my 2012 that i could give away.
What year model do you think Is good? Am going to inspect an Honda accord 2008 today.
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by speedfreak(m): 1:12pm On Mar 28
Slizzords:
What year model do you think Is good? Am going to inspect an Honda accord 2008 today.

The 08 was the first model year, so avoid this. The K24 engine burns oil, rattles like crazy on cold starts and has injector issues. 2010-2012 is the sweet spot as most of these were corrected in 2010. Four cylinder or V6?
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Onepiece007: 11:24am On Mar 29
Boss I get 2008 Honda Accord , First body . Zero issues 3.5M
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by tivta(m): 4:27pm On Apr 01
Slizzords:
I no get money oh,car is just a necessity at this point in time for me
Just remember when buying a car have a special account for emergency repairs, cars are a big time money pit
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 8:19am On Apr 05
I still never see good Nigerian used car buy oh!!

I recently want to go and check out a Nigerian Used Honda Pilot 2007 for 3million naira . Is it a good deal at that price ? I don dey tire o
Re: My Dad Almost Died In The Night Because I Had No Car by Slizzords: 8:19am On Apr 05
tivta:

Just remember when buying a car have a special account for emergency repairs, cars are a big time money pit
God go provide

(1) (2) (Reply)

My 2002 Honda Accord Cd Changer / Any Jaguar Users or Mechanics in the house? / Nigeria Customs Service Auctioning Is It True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.