Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job (35254 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Top 10 "Menial Jobs" In Nigeria That Surprisingly Pay Well / Ordeals Of A Nigerian Job Seeker In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by laivwire(m): 3:47pm On Mar 25
Ebeano49:
It is difficult to tell.
I left Zenith Bank in 2004 for masters in the UK. Fast forward 20 years, I have been lucky in that I am working in Finance and relatively well paid.
I have most of the things I need in the UK and Nigeria. My kids are obviously dual nationals.

BUT, a close friend of mind who stayed back in Nigeria is a bank director today. He is well paid too and visits the UK quite often with his family. His family is more of a traditional Nigerian family than mine.

I'd take his success/situation over mine, but then he also says he'd take mine over his, especially the mobility my UK passport offers.

Long story short: It depends on what's more important to you. Do what suits your circumstance. The grass is not always greener on the other side. NEVER leave a well paying job/business in Nigeria for an uncertain future abroad though.
These are the comments I like to see. Its 2 sides of a coin.

I have 2 close uncles who have towed similar parallels. Both were hustling in Lagos and then one left for Europe. 19 years down the line, I have visited the both of them. One works as a nurse, his kids were born abroad and he can travel anywhere he wants, easy but average lifestyle by european standards, lives in a 2 bedroom flat and drivess a modest car. Still runs to work everyday and switches shifts with his wife to stay with kids at home. Nothing too fancy.

The other is in Lagos. Faces the mad lagos lifestyle of course but earns in excess of #3m monthly from business and job. His wife is a fulltime housewife but they are comfortable. Has exotic cars and enjoys that social Nigerian weekend lifestyle. I don't know if travelling out tickles him but he would have to go through long processes if he wants to.

9 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Panda7(m): 3:49pm On Mar 25
sukkot:
oh the 5m is basic. Well the guy used to live in America and he returned back home and got a job as the advertising and marketing manager at Guinness, salary 3million a month then from there he moved to etisalat as GM, 5 million a month. To be honest with you the guys juju is very strong because I know him and he does not look the part. Although he is a personable person.

that's an average of 150k per day just being a manager without other entitlement, and that's higher than most salary in nigeria but if I may ask what does he own? If he earns that much as official salary I believe with his position he could make more yet the unemployment rate in nigeria is in scourging high rate and there is no balance to the labor force participation rate. If anyone should boast about their income rate I think that would be an entrepreneur. Even with his position, I believe no one can post prove to what he actually earns.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by HBB1(m): 3:53pm On Mar 25
sukkot:
Ahhhh ok. Why Leave uk for Canada ? America or Australia surely is a better upgrade right ? What is it about the uk that has you tired and want to japa from ? It’s millions that are dying to be in your shoes right now

It is a bubble.

Weather is horrible, houses are small.
Mindset of the citizenry is small.
It is a has-been Nation.
I think there is more to life than 'just being comfortable'

I can earn more in Canada doing the same job.
...and one thing I know about Canada is the houses are not tiny.
🤣

Australia is good.
Weather is fantastic.
Just far from Naija (and the rest of the world).

America would have been the best...
God's own Country.
But I will have to start writing exams again and all.

In the end I want to contribute my quota to Naija sha.
God has already blessed me small.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MT: 3:54pm On Mar 25
RodgersAkpafu:

So 2 million naira is what should stop someone from leaving Nigeria

Lmaooo

For your hilarious mind, you have converted what you are earning in the UK or US to naira and feel you are better off than someone earning 2 million naira per month in Nigeria.

He has less bills to pay, which means he can save more.

You have more bills to pay, which means you can save less.

Western world is more expensive to live than Nigeria.

Each country pays according to the country's inflationary rate. If UK or US for instance pays Nigeria's wages, it will not be enough for their employees, and if UK or US salary is paid in Nigeria, inflation will finish Nigeria totally.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NPFLADMIN(m): 3:54pm On Mar 25
abuhusna1:

You are too wise

Not really.

Would you as a person beg from your father's friend whom your father collected loans from? Loans that's running into millions. And over 4 years now, my dad hasn't still paid a dime.

If this wasn't the case, I won't be coming to NL begging for money when my father's friend earns in million.

Not to mention his wife also paid my big sis university fees this year.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Mom007(f): 3:55pm On Mar 25
NPFLADMIN:

Can someone earning nearly or more than 1.2M suddenly start begging for money?
Bro, I mean... Well, anything can happpen.

No job security in Nigeria. In the past 2-3 years, there were so many job losses, forced resignations, even 'established ' businesses were forced to fold up.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Panda7(m): 3:58pm On Mar 25
Blackfinegirl:

Stop being ignorant, I work in a multinational bank (Head Office) and earn well above 1m monthly, then you can just imagine what the big guys in higher level earn (DM and above). Except you only associate with contract staff who earn really low. My husband works in tech and earn 7000 USD monthly, you need to associate with young people doing well in their career. I even have a friend who works in oil and gas and earns 70 000 USD yearly as bonus, excluding his salary. The day i saw his bank statement when I was helping him in his visa application, I was surprised. We are all in our early 30's.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by NPFLADMIN(m): 4:00pm On Mar 25
Mom007:

No job security in Nigeria. In the past 2-3 years, there were so many job losses, forced resignations, even 'established ' businesses were forced to fold up.

Hmmmmmm

One of the things he must have been afraid of before deciding to leave.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by alfajohn: 4:02pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Even a politician don't earn up to a million monthly and that is not even with an employee job. So shove up your lies begger
. Many government jobs pay well over one million naira per month. NCC, CBN, NNPC, PENCOM, NERC and many many more pay their management staff way beyond a million a month

4 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by spencekat(m): 4:03pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Even a politician don't earn up to a million monthly and that is not even with an employee job. So shove up your lies begger
Some employees,especially top management staff earn one million and above monthly as salaries.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MT: 4:04pm On Mar 25
Blackfinegirl:

Stop being ignorant, I work in a multinational bank (Head Office) and earn well above 1m monthly, then you can just imagine what the big guys in higher level earn (DM and above). Except you only associate with contract staff who earn really low. My husband works in tech and earn 7000 USD monthly, you need to associate with young people doing well in their career. I even have a friend who works in oil and gas and earns 70 000 USD yearly as bonus, excluding his salary. The day i saw his bank statement when I was helping him in his visa application, I was surprised. We are all in our early 30's.

Do not mind these people.

Lot of them do not have professionals as associates in Nigeria, so they simply do not understand it.

I have seen the two worlds and I can boldly say that the only way a seasoned professional should migrate abroad is only either through marriage (joining his or her partners) or if he gets work that pays way higher than what he is currently earning in Nigeria. Any other route will lead to unstoppable tears.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by sukkot: 4:05pm On Mar 25
HBB1:

It is a bubble.

Weather is horrible, houses are small.
Mindset of the citizenry is small.
It is a has-been Nation.
I think there is more to life than 'just being comfortable'

I can earn more in Canada doing the same job.
...and one thing I know about Canada is the houses are not tiny.
🤣

Australia is good.
Weather is fantastic.
Just far from Naija (and the rest of the world).

America would have been the best...
God's own Country.
But I will have to start writing exams again and all.

In the end I want to contribute my quota to Naija sha.
God has already blessed me small.

all valid great points. Would you say these denigrating points you share about the Uk is prevalent opinions amongst the Nigerian community ? Meaning there must be lots of japa regrets. Imagine selling a huge house in naija to japa to a tiny London house. Surely there must be mass regrets and unsatistaction in the naija community over there right ?

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by vexing(m): 4:06pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

You don't know what you are talking about. A lot of people collect more than that.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Panda7(m): 4:08pm On Mar 25
Blackfinegirl:

People are earning more than a million every months and doesn't know what to do to improve life and employability. Take my advice, save that money for 2years, then buy a plot in a residential area and construct a rental house for people. I believe you will recover your money in 7years time and that building will be there for at least 50-70 years. O believe by 40 you must have had 5 or more of that. Let people not come to social media and talk about how they lost their jobs

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by sukkot: 4:10pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

that's an average of 150k per day just being a manager without other entitlement, and that's higher than most salary in nigeria but if I may ask what does he own? If he earns that much as official salary I believe with his position he could make more yet the unemployment rate in nigeria is in scourging high rate and there is no balance to the labor force participation rate. If anyone should boast about their income rate I think that would be an entrepreneur. Even with his position, I believe no one can post prove to what he actually earns.
what does he own ? A house in Victoria island . His wife passed from cancer. 2 kids.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by vexing(m): 4:10pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

Sir, if you are sure of your statistics you can go ahead and mention their roles and the
companies they work. Working in a big or established companies don't guarantee you must earn very high. It's just packaging or showing off.. even during job interviews, the last question is usually how much you hope to earn and you cannot possibly tell your employee you wish to earn up to 200 and 500k a months and expect a call back. Even people who work in tech companies usually get there through internship which doesn't guarantee you much salary a month, they only work there for experience.

Earning anything close to 500k every month can guarantee you luxury lifestyle's and houses which you hardly see in Nigeria unless one is a business owner or entrepreneur. Oil companies abroad don't even pay more than $15k/ month for a start and that's excluding taxation and personal expenditures

Please stop exhibiting your ignorance. Those of us earning above 500k monthly are still struggling to survive. What is 500k? With that amount you cannot comfortably purchase a 2010 saloon car in 3 years?

8 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Oracleee: 4:11pm On Mar 25
ednut1:
You will only do menial jobs for long if you japa illegally or didn’t have the right skills from Nigeria. Most people i know that came to Canada with permanent residency are doing job they were doing in Nigeria. Some of them had to start with menial jobs sha (2-4 months) before getting their dream jobs.

But there are people who still japa with visit visa or claim asylum. They don’t regret the menial jobs cos they are still able to save than what they saved in Nigeria.

Seconded. . My fiancee just a girl friend as at then japa to New York 2016. She didn't even tell me she went to flip burger though she was 18 or 19 then final year computer science in covenant uni. Today she's a Nurse over there after she went back to uni to study nursing there and flipping burder sideways. I do taunt her by calling her burger queen (Burger King) stuff. But today she's doing very fine like very very fine over there.

My elder sister left her coming up chamber in Nigeria where she was making cool cash and migrated to Texas. Omoh she when do baby sitter job join, today she's a lecture in one of the schools over there.

Japa is not a bed of roses but at the end, the rose dey bloom out

5 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Calitoscassius(m): 4:11pm On Mar 25
Dennisochampa:
There is a thin line between lucrative Job in 9ja and menial job in abroad....
Take for example.... A salary job of 500k monthly after all deductions in 9ja....its a good job to you..
In the UK, you can earn as much as 12 pounds per hour for factory jobs... If you work 8hrs, u earn 96 pounds.... And for 3 days work, u can get an equivalent of 1 month 9ja salary.....
So the menial job abroad pays more than the office or lucrative job in 9ja in some cases... Though not all.....

So you will not buy food, pay rent and travel fares outta the 96 quid right?. grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by flexyrule(m): 4:11pm On Mar 25
Panda7:

You're kidding right?

There's no week I don't see the payslip of a salary earner making 20m+ per annum.

If I include their allowances and bonus... You'll faint!

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by HBB1(m): 4:12pm On Mar 25
sukkot:
all valid great points. Would you say these denigrating points you share about the Uk is prevalent opinions amongst the Nigerian community ? Meaning there must be lots of japa regrets. Imagine selling a huge house in naija to japa to a tiny London house. Surely there must be mass regrets and unsatistaction in the naija community over there right ?

Not really.

Depends on what people want from life.
Some are very happy because they just want to buy a house and drive fine car.

I want to be the best I can be.
Think of Maslow's heirachy of needs.

So if all you want is just be comfortable, the UK should be okay.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by immobilare(m): 4:12pm On Mar 25
Everybody dey form big man for Internet! I earn this! I earn that! But 99.4% of bank accounts in Nigeria have less than 500k in them. No be me talk am o, na NDIC! If you have the opportunity, make una commot from Nigeria. Exactly 10years ago, my wife was schooling in the UK and I was a civil servant earning about 150k oer month. I comfortably paid her flight ticket to come for holiday and intro then , it cost about 150k naira. 10 years down the line, the cheapest ticket is over 1.2m and the salary increase is not commensurate despite advancement in career. Imagine what it would be like in another 10 years, and Nigeria don't seem to be getting better.

Make una dey dey strategic in una thinking!

13 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Calitoscassius(m): 4:18pm On Mar 25
Oracleee:

Seconded. . My fiancee just a girl friend as at then japa to New York 2016. She didn't even tell me she went to flip burger though she was 18 or 19 then final year computer science in covenant uni. Today she's a Nurse over there after she went back to uni to study nursing there and flipping burder sideways. I do taunt her by calling her burger queen (Burger King) stuff. But today she's doing very fine like very very fine over there.

My elder sister left her coming up chamber in Nigeria where she was making cool cash and migrated to Texas. Omoh she when do baby sitter job join, today she's a lecture in one of the schools over there.

Japa is not a bed of roses but at the end, the rose dey bloom out
You think only Naigeerians or foreigners flips Burgers? I was born and bred in East London, i flipped Burgers in Burger King, cleaned the toilets and tables in Burger king, did washing ups the trays also when i was 18, I also stalked shelfs in Tescos, I was a Bin man for some years, So work is work, i don't know why some Naigeerians sees work as something to be ashamed of, every job is important and respected in the UK, everyone can not be a doctor, a lawyer, a computer technician, an IT worker or a proffessor. It would be ignorant to think so.

Some people actually do like their menial jobs they do and it isn't always about money, maybe it is all about money for Naigeerians only.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by MT: 4:18pm On Mar 25
immobilare:
Everybody dey form big man for Internet! I earn this! I earn that! But 99.4% of bank accounts in Nigeria have less than 500k in them. No be me talk am o, na NDIC! If you have the opportunity, make una commot from Nigeria. Exactly 10years ago, my wife was schooling in the UK and I was a civil servant earning about 150k oer month. I comfortably paid her flight ticket to come for holiday and intro then , it cost about 150k naira. 10 years down the line, the cheapest ticket is over 1.2m and the salary increase is not commensurate despite advancement in career. Imagine what it would be like in another 10 years, and Nigeria don't seem to be getting better.

Make una dey dey strategic in una thinking!

Everywhere in the world, Civil servants do not get paid fantastic salaries.

We are talking of seasoned professionals here.

In that same Nigeria you were earning 150k Naira per month , some younger dudes are earning 2 Million Naira per month.

Will you agree with me that your narratives about Nigeria will be different? cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by sukkot: 4:18pm On Mar 25
HBB1:

Not really.

Depends on what people want from life.
Some are very happy because they just want to buy a house and drive fine car.

I want to be the best I can be.
Think of Maslow's heirachy of needs.

So if all you want is just be comfortable, the UK should be okay.
very valid points. I would look into that Maslows heirachy of needs. Sounds interesting bro lol

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Ojochogwusunny(m): 4:20pm On Mar 25
Good evening nairalanders. Please I need someone to enlighten me on IT skills. I have keen interest in it and I will be grateful if someone can volunteer out of his or her good will to teach me.
I don't want to be (in PMB's voice) "a lazy youth" I want to be useful. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by OvertheTop(m): 4:21pm On Mar 25
yomi531:
Its Better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven. Nam Angels (Who remembers that movie)...
very old movie!!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by ednut1(m): 4:21pm On Mar 25
Germi9:

What kind of skill can one learn broh
the skill I’m talking about is the one gotten through work experience.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by spencekat(m): 4:28pm On Mar 25
CoronaVirusPro:

And how is your monthly rent? Your 2 years in Nigeria 🤣🤣🤣

I always laugh at y’all who convert foreign salary to Naira. Do you spend Naira there?

Convert your monthly rent and bills to Naira too, and tell people.
You are correct.The money ,foreign currency will be better if sent to Nigeria for investment.
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by Error401: 4:29pm On Mar 25
lol, which country are you from cos I have people who earn more than 1 million monthly.
Not even old people but young guys

Panda7:

3 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by descarado: 4:33pm On Mar 25
Panda7:
I won't personally reply anyone again, tech guys and bankers

Tech companies who earn money from creating API's and analysis now employ people monthly to debug their codes or watch their analytics, then pay them millions, if you ask these guys now, what skills do you have they will tell you IT skills, what skills exactly please, even HTML is an IT skill.
Don't mind Nigerian bankers.
Bankers outside don't earn much. You can actually Google what an average banker make in country like UK annually.
I know their tech guy earn a bit higher but the only set of bankers who earn big, really big are their econometricians. Don't know what they are called. But banks employ like very few or even one or two who works in hq. And sometimes, they are not regular staff.

You get people like that in cbn. I had a lecturer then who worked with bank of Japan as evonometrician as contract staff and was paid so much
Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by donogaga(m): 4:36pm On Mar 25
NPFLADMIN:
Honestly, my dad knows a person in this situation.

He earns 1M as salary monthly and also has a side hustle which should be bringing him nothing less than 200k estimate. But the man still wants to leave 4 UK. And getting a job in the UK at the age of around 45+, isn't that almost impossible?

His wife is already there and she's doing care-job.

I still don't understand why he wants to move.

If I ever meet him with my dad before he leaves, I'll tell him "sir, you're making a big mistake!"

Well, he's still agile. I guess that's an advantage.

That money the Man is earning monthly in Nigeria is nothing.

My brother, relocating is far better and more profitable. There are lots of opportunities here. Jobs everywhere. If you are not lazy, you will make good money in UK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job by hurryup123(m): 4:37pm On Mar 25
Gadafii:
your dad does

Besides do you know anyone here that you are demanding them to send you 17k?
Savage 😅
Sir please I would like to be your friend.
I like your Sense of reasoning.
You're highly skilled

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Good Evening,thread For Npower Applicant That Are Yet To Receive SMS . / How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name / Graduate With A Distinction From UK Uni & You Offered With N50k Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.