Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,935 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti (23756 Views)

Cost Of Healthy Diet Per Adult In Nigeria (January 2024) / Prices Of Food Stuffs From The Nigerian Bureau Of Statistics / Banting Diet For Weight Loss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by ijustdey: 4:32pm On Mar 30
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has said that Ekiti, Lagos, and Osun states recorded the highest costs of a healthy diet (CoHD) per adult a day at N1295, N1195, and N1184 respectively.

The National Average, CoHD stated, per adult a day stood at N938 in February, 2024, according to the report.

The NBS revealed this in its CoHD report released on Friday in Abuja, noting that the average CoHD was highest in the South-West at N1157 per adult per day, followed by the South- East region at N1077 per day.

The NBS also said that in February, the lowest average CoHD was recorded in the North-West region at N723 per adult per day, according to the News Agency Of Nigeria.

The bureau said Katsina recorded the lowest CoHD at N673, followed by Sokoto and Zamfara at N714 and N720, respectively.

The bureau said the CoHD was the least expensive combination of locally available items that met globally consistent food-based dietary guidelines.

It said it was used as a measure of physical and economic access to healthy diets.

“This is a lower bound (or floor) of the cost per adult per day excluding the cost of transportation and meal preparation.”

The bureau said that to compute the CoHD indicator, the following data on Retail Food Prices, Food Composition Data, and Healthy Diet Standard were required.

The report added that animal-source foods were the most expensive food group recommendation to meet in February, accounting for 38 per cent of the total CoHD to provide 13 per cent of the total calories.

It noted that fruits and vegetables were the most expensive food groups in terms of price per calorie.

“They accounted for 12 per cent and 14 per cent, respectively, of the total CoHD while providing only seven per cent and five per cent of total calories in the Healthy Diet Basket.

“Legumes, nuts and seeds were the least-expensive food group on average, at six per cent of the total cost.’’

The report also says that in recent months, the CoHD had risen faster than general inflation and food inflation.

“However, the CoHD and the food Consumer Price Index (CPI) are not directly comparable.

“The CoHD includes fewer items and is measured in Naira per day, while the food CPI is a weighted index.

“The food CPI increased approximately by four per cent between January and February, while CoHD increased by nine per cent.’’

The NBS said the policy implications of these results would foster collaboration among a wide range of stakeholders, such as policymakers, researchers and civil society actors that focus on food security.

“These stakeholders will devise strategies that tackle access, availability, and affordability of healthy diet effectively.

“Also future research incorporating income can also be used to determine the proportion and number of the population that are unable to afford a healthy diet,” the report said.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/03/30/average-cost-healthy-diet-nigerians-n938-national-bureau-statistics

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by CodeTemplar: 5:24pm On Mar 30
That's about 32 meals a month based on minimum wage.

6 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by mariahAngel(f): 5:24pm On Mar 30
That is false.
It'll cost an adult more than that to have a healthy meal in the present Nigeria.

113 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by CodeTemplar: 5:26pm On Mar 30
Katsina averaged N637.

That's so impressive.
mariahAngel:
That is a lie!
A healthy meal per day costs more than that.
Your definition must be very high in standard then.

Meal is just balanced diet in a sense and not fastfood pack.

12 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by pretydiva(f): 5:33pm On Mar 30
Some group of people will just sit in one corner and come up with some baseless statistics undecided

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Amuluonyenaego: 5:34pm On Mar 30
Na lie

5 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by DenreleDave(m): 5:35pm On Mar 30
Lies

For me, a healthy meal is 300 beans from Iya Ayo Elewa ( 200 for plate, 100 for nylon so that he go plenty if I join them).

Then one 500 naira bread.... Check my past topics to see 300 naira beans from Ìyá Ayo or wait for Prigidypogodo to upload

Na people like AlhajiCSO dey eat worms from trolling grin grin grin grin grin

Watch how he will mention me with his Prigidypogodo moniker and report me with his AlhajiCSO moniker grin grin grin grin

18 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by mariahAngel(f): 5:35pm On Mar 30
CodeTemplar:
Katsina averaged N637.

That's so impressive. Your definition must be very high in standard then.

Meal is just balanced diet in a sense and not fastfood pack.

I don't do fast food. 🙄
I make my own meals.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by NOETHNICITY(m): 5:35pm On Mar 30
The wey I love Nigeria enh

I am loving it all the way in this country

You can insult the country from now till eternity, my mind won’t change

4 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by UHLmoving: 5:35pm On Mar 30
OK ewedu
Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Thundafireseun: 5:35pm On Mar 30

Asaba Delta state should be higher than #1200 per meal …. But let’s do the maths using #1200

#1200*3= #3600 per day….

#3600* 30days=#108,000 per person a month

Imagine a family of four….(Husband, wife and two kids)

I sincerely pity civil servants

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Tjra: 5:35pm On Mar 30
This one na fat lie

As far as high cost of meal (healthy or not) is concerned, Rivers state should top the list.

Rivers especially Portharcourt is not for the poor.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by owiko(m): 5:36pm On Mar 30
I think healthy diet is relative in this regard.
It costs so much to eat a decent meal these days.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Caramia2020(m): 5:36pm On Mar 30
Is that so? I don't believe it

1 Like

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by omoredia: 5:36pm On Mar 30
Hehe apc govt doesn't mean well.

3 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by specialmati(m): 5:37pm On Mar 30
grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin grin naso .this is what is trending every month. APC criminals una try

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by SisterAnn(f): 5:37pm On Mar 30
Rice 500
Beans 300
Meat 300
Pure water 50
Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by yemmit90: 5:37pm On Mar 30
This kind of joke should be thrown in the dustbin.

An healthy diet per serve is not less than #3000, let alone per day.

7 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by haybhi1(m): 5:37pm On Mar 30
As a concerned SWner, I really feel for us.

2 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by CamsedVacancy: 5:37pm On Mar 30
Cost of preparation wasn't included...
Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Skillsnigeria: 5:37pm On Mar 30
Hmmm
Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by sacajawea: 5:38pm On Mar 30
No
Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by GreaterFuture(m): 5:39pm On Mar 30
It has hit me now...
After trying to make sense as to why a report would be innacurate in something as Mundane & Generic as this, I got it.
Got it afer thinking for a few seconds, it now made sense rereading the article.
Subtle subtle Propaganda

1 Like

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Think9ja(m): 5:40pm On Mar 30
K
Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Prigidypogodo(f): 5:41pm On Mar 30
DenreleDave:
Lies

For me, a healthy meal is 300 beans from Iya Ayo Elewa ( 200 for plate, 100 for nylon so that he go plenty if I join them).

Then one 500 naira bread.... Check my past topics to see 300 naira beans from Ìyá Ayo or wait for Prigidypogodo to upload

Na people like AlhajiCSO dey eat worms from trolling grin grin grin grin grin

Watch how he will mention me with his Prigidypogodo moniker and report me with his AlhajiCSO moniker grin grin grin grin
😂😂😂😂😂

Since I've been watching you from your dubious act
you've been crying.
happy beans munching David grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Sirchiboy: 5:41pm On Mar 30
Just find blood tonic and be drinking to compensate for loss

3 Likes

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by tefishy(m): 5:43pm On Mar 30
cheesy
Sure balance diet
SisterAnn:
Rice 500
Beans 300
Meat 300
Pure water 50

1 Like

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Sleekfingers: 5:44pm On Mar 30
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1, 300 naira in Lagos . An healthy diet for an adult? Maybe those food Dem dey sell near gutters.....

1 Like

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by okomile(f): 5:45pm On Mar 30
Who dey write this

Story for the flying bird
grin

1 Like

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by youngrichnigga: 5:46pm On Mar 30
Some tie-rocking nigga will just stay in an air conditioned office and be churning out statistics without empirical data and real life evaluation of situation. What exactly constitutes healthy diet for respective regions of the country as well as current inflationary trends, is this cost from a mama put, standard restaurant or homemade cooking? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by Chisave: 5:47pm On Mar 30
Wait, do they mean per meal ABI per day

Per meal: possible
Per day: impossible

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Cost Of Healthy Diet For Nigerians Is N938 – National Bureau Of Statisti by ArewaNightmare: 5:50pm On Mar 30
grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Native Chalk / Praise Okereafor Emerges Winner Of Maggi Ota Lenu South West Cooking Show / Do Nigerians/africans Have Food Allergies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.