Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises (26624 Views)

Court Summons Rarara For ‘Camping Married’ Woman / Churchill Sues Tonto Dikeh For N500million For Defamation Against Father, Others / Georgina Ibeh Amazing Weight Loss From Size 18 To 12 (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by naptu2: 3:10pm On Apr 04
Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo

The complainants said the alleged actions of the defendants are contrary to Sections 391 of the Penal Code and Section 24 (1)(B) of the Cybercrimes (prohibition, prevention etc) Act 2015.

The Chief Magistrate Court, Wuse Zone 2, has summoned five social media users for “criminal defamation” of the reputation of gospel singer, Mercy Chinwo; and her husband, Blessed Uzochikwa.

In the court summons dated April 3, 2024, sighted by Channels Television, Chief Magistrate Emmanuel Iyanna ordered the five defendants to appear in person before the court on April 23, 2023, to answer the charges levelled against the complainants.

The complainants in the matter are Blessed Uzochikwa and Mercy Chinwo while the five defendants are Okoronkwo Ejike, Kingsley Ibeh, DJ Spoiltkid, Terrence Ekot, and Samuel Agozie.

The suit stemmed from posts made by the defendants last week after the gospel singer and her husband posted a picture of their son on Instagram. After the picture of the baby, who was born in 2023, was posted, the defendants alleged that there was a resemblance between the baby and another gospel singer, Nathaniel Bassey, and claimed that he was the father, an allegation that went viral.

In a criminal complaint filed by the complainants’ lawyers led by Pelumi Olajengbesi of Abuja-based law firm, Law Corridor, Mercy Chinwo and her husband said the alleged actions of the defendants amounted to cyber intimidation, injurious falsehood, and cyberstalking targeted at their persons.

The complainants said the alleged actions of the defendants are contrary to Sections 391 of the Penal Code and Section 24 (1)(B) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention etc) Act 2015.

The “individuals criminally injured the reputation and image of the complainants across the globe resulting from their intentional defamatory posts and an act of cyberstalking,” the lawyers said in a criminal complaint filed before the magistrate.

Magistrate Emmanuel Iyanna thereafter directed the five defendants to appear before the court on April 23, 2024, to answer the charges.

Nathaniel Bassey Petitions IGP

Bassey has also taken action over the matter. The ‘Jesus Iye’ crooner — through his lawyers — had petitioned the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Kayode Egbetokun, to investigate and prosecute four persons whom he accused of criminal defamation and cyberstalking. The four social media users in Bassey’s petition are Okoronkwo Ejike, Kingsley Ibeh, Terrence Ekot and Dj Spoiltkid.

Bassey’s lawyers said the alleged actions of the four individuals contravened Sections 373 and 375 of the Criminal Code Act as well as Section 24(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.).

“The consequences of making such statements on social media have been known to tarnish the reputations of individuals, render marriages unstable, and many never recover from them. International reputation is an asset—both for the individual and for the nation—and it takes time to acquire.

“Consequently, we urge you to use your good offices to, in the interest of justice, investigate this matter, arrest, and bring the suspect to justice, which will serve as a deterrent to others.”

Bassey, popularly known as “Pastor Nath” is the convener of online interdenominational worship programme, Hallelujah Challenge. He also pastors a parish of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).

https://www.channelstv.com/2024/04/04/court-summons-five-persons-for-defamation-of-mercy-chinwo/

Previous threads: Gospel Singer Nathaniel Bassey Petitions IGP Over Defamation
https://www.nairaland.com/8050636/gospel-singer-nathaniel-bassey-petitions

Defamation: DJ Spoilt Kid Apologises To Nathaniel Bassey
https://www.nairaland.com/8050895/defamation-dj-spoilt-kid-apologises

FILE PHOTO: Gospel singer, Mercy Chinwo, and her husband, Blessed Uzochikwa

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by naptu2: 3:10pm On Apr 04
Meanwhile, another of the five has apologised to Nathaniel Bassey. Earlier DJ Spoilt Kid tendered an apology, while Okoronkwo Ejike deleted his Facebook page. Now Kingsley Ibeh has also tendered an apology.

Kingsley Ibeh

APOLOGY TO PASTOR NATHANIEL BASSEY AND MINISTER MERCY CHINWO FOR DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER.

I am writing to offer my deepest apologies for the unfounded and hurtful allegations I made against Pastor Nathaniel Bassey and Minister Mercy Chinwo Blessed on various social media platforms.

I now realize that my words were not only baseless but also deeply disrespectful to their character and reputation as Children of God who have gained the love and trust of many over the years.

I want to acknowledge the gravity of the harm I have caused them, their families, and community by spreading false information about their personal life. My actions were irresponsible and lacked integrity.

I understand that no amount of apologies can fully undo the damage I have done, but please know that I am genuinely remorseful for my actions. I take full responsibility of my words and am committed to making amends in any way possible.

I am willing to publicly retract my statements and apologize for them on the same platforms where they were made and also on major National Newspapers.

Additionally, I am open to meeting with them personally to offer my apologies face-to-face and as a way of showing how remorseful I am.

Once again, I am truly sorry for the pain and distress I have caused Pastor Nathaniel and Minister Mercy. I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

Sincerely,
Ibeh Kingsley .

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/sW2xCJ6MAS7TWzLw/?mibextid=oFDknk

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by naptu2: 3:10pm On Apr 04
DJ Spoilt Kid's apology.

DJ Spoiltkid @spoiltkid

Follow-up Statement Regarding Recent Social Media Posts I Shared On My Page

Dear Followers,

I want to take a moment to address the recent discussions surrounding a retweet I made regarding Nathaniel Bassey and Minister Mercy Chinwo Blessed's son.

Firstly, I want to express my sincere apologies for any distress or confusion my retweet may have caused. This is not truly my character and the retweet I made was just like every other news I source and share on my page.

I want to clarify that my intention in sharing the post was solely to disseminate information, not to endorse or validate the allegations therein.

As someone dedicated to sharing news from various sources, I aim to provide my audience with information how I receive them and I’m not in any way in support of what the originator said.

However, I understand now that the retweet was misunderstood even though I put the original post in quote with a screenshot reference. I did not in any way support the post with any intention to harm rather I also very much worried about it and as a human I am very much sorry to make such a mistake and never will I do it again.

I seek you join me and plead with @nathanielblow to find a place in his heart to forgive my wrong actions as I take full responsibility for having shared the post on my platform.

Moving forward, I will continue to prioritize accuracy and responsibility in my content.

Thank you for your attention and understanding.

Best regards,

DJ SpoiltKid

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by naptu2: 3:16pm On Apr 04
Media briefing by Nathaniel Bassey's lawyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbM4oihHpPc?si=_3Meinp5eDEQSpge

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by BreconHills(m): 3:41pm On Apr 04
The law needs to take its course and make an example of these men to serve as a deterrent to all the social media louts out there who for the sake engagement spread falsehood.

125 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Surface2AirToto(m): 3:44pm On Apr 04
They should sentence them to 2 months of anal sex by a 12 man gang of prisoners(death row inmates preferably) for 6 hours daily, so that they will learn.

11 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by inoki247: 3:45pm On Apr 04
Lol assuming most of this people spewing jargons are from another region they might AV tagged dem tribalist...

People fail to realize whether you're from Tribe A Tribe B been stupiddd online and offline is a different thing entirely u don't generalize people stupidityyy...

People jus wake up come online start yappingg jargonss...

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by yesloaded: 3:45pm On Apr 04
Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Owon: 3:45pm On Apr 04
Good.

Lessons needs to be taught and learned.
People should always be held accountable for their actions and speech.

THERE'S FREEDOM OF SPEECH, BUT FREEDOM AFTER SPEECH IS NOT GUARANTEED.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR A FO0L...

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by TheMensch(m): 3:45pm On Apr 04
Seek for damages!
They have to pay for damages!
They should have thought about the consequences of their childish words before spewing it on the internet.
No be only apologize, na apocalypse. Nonsense

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by ChizzyBuna(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04
All these ones no concern me
I hope Mercy finds a way solve this dilemma

As for me personally
I can never trust any woman... Period!!!!
If you like be the Holiest Virgin in town
I must do D.N.A test

Justin Trudeau's mother Margaret Trudeau visited Cuban president Fidel Castro
And spent more time with Fidel Castro in Cuba

She comes back and months later gives birth to Justin Trudeau the current prime minister of Canada.
This was during the 60's when D.N.A test no dey exist.
Look at the resemblance of young Fidel Castro and young Justin Trudeau D grin

All I know is I can never trust a woman
I trust only God and Science!!!!

That is why at the mention of "DNA TEST"
Plenty Women tremble in fear
Because they know it's GAME OVER grin grin

Second picture is Magreat Trudeau Visiting Fidel Castro

Third picture is Magreat Trudeau with Fidel Castro and Her husband Pierre Trudeau

Last Picture is Pierre and Margaret Trudeau Visiting Fidel Castro After the birth of Justin Trudeau. grin grin

42 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by SaturnNick(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04
Too bad

1 Like

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by BarrElChapo(m): 3:47pm On Apr 04
These young men need to spend some quality time at kuje sha. 😂

20 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:47pm On Apr 04
Idiots they all are.
These animals deserve to spend a long time in jail.
Thinking they are faceless on social media.
We have many buffons like them here also.
Y'all trolls will never end well in life.
Lazy mofos...

Just imagine these swines level of defamation and character assassination........

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:47pm On Apr 04
If you are on Nairaland,
Defaming or lying against innocent members here.
Y'all will never see any good thing in your miserable and frustrated life.....

10 Likes 3 Shares

All trolls will never end well in life.

Y'all will learn,
And you'll learn the hard way.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by MosayA: 3:47pm On Apr 04
Good and a welcome development.

This should teach them and others a lesson.

3 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Sweetvie: 3:47pm On Apr 04
Hmmm
Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Judolisco(m): 3:47pm On Apr 04
Very good
Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by sammysmiles(m): 3:47pm On Apr 04
That's the problem with Nigeria. Accountability! People are not always accountable for their actions or words, from leaders to followers. Those fools needs be taught a lesson in jail.

8 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Olatundex22(m): 3:48pm On Apr 04
Political bandits can you see, stop the bullying you people make the matter change now, plenty laws now for cybercrime aka online bullying, aka political bandits 🤭🤭🤭🤭

2 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by ednut1(m): 3:48pm On Apr 04
They must be taught a big lesson. Bunch of idiots

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by axglide(m): 3:49pm On Apr 04
All the defendants should get their lawyers ooo, even after apology still get your lawyer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Straybullet: 3:49pm On Apr 04
grin

😄 🤣 😂 😆 😄 🤣 😂 😆 😄 🤣 😂 😆

Cruise gone wrong

5 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by blamingthedevil: 3:52pm On Apr 04
Prison loading

You have freedom to say anything, I also have right to sue

6 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by kuboy: 3:52pm On Apr 04
Most of them have done it during election and go Scott Free. So people need to be though some lesson.

12 Likes

Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Nwaokunkpara: 3:52pm On Apr 04
If the court are as active as they get to be when it comes to people of certain positions then Nigeria would have been better
Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Bulldozer90: 3:53pm On Apr 04
Not bad
Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by Rebuke: 3:53pm On Apr 04
BreconHills:
The law needs to take its course and make an example of these men to serve as a deterrent to all the social media louts out there who for the sake engagement spread falsehood.

Seconded
Re: Court Summons Five Persons For Defamation Of Mercy Chinwo As Ibeh Apologises by AllahOfBlood: 3:54pm On Apr 04
cheesy

this news go make me sing that Ebenezer again

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mercy Johnson, Annie Idibia And Yvonne Jegede Pictured Together / Tobi Bakre And His Mother Show Swag With Legwork / Iyabo Ojo's Daughter Priscilla Knocks Naira Marley Over Threat To Sue Mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.