Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe (51239 Views)

UNIJOS Student Commits Suicide Over ASUU Strike / Iyaje Abuma Shedrack: UNIJOS Student Stabbed To Death By Suspected Hoodlums / UNIJOS Student Stabbed To Death By Hoodlums (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by Cantonese: 9:36pm On Apr 07
Ilekokonit:

Far from it. Not every Profs child in my set cheated and I know of only that 1 chap who used to see exam questions before the exam date. The funny thing is that this classmate of mine would still have passed the exams without seeing the questions before hand because he was extremely hardwoking but I doubt if he and his crew would have consistently scored 100% in those MCQ exams without the unfair advantage his Dad by commission or omission allowed him to have.

Having said that, another 20% of my class cheated to pass if they were on the verge of being kicked out of Med School for failing a class more than once and there was another classmate whose Dad was also a Prof of Medicine who got asked to leave Med School for failing the same class twice. So, it wasn't all of my classmates whose Dads were Profs who cheated in exams.

Things have degenerated in Nigerian Medical schools to the extent that the following stories will show :-

1. There is currently a Senior Doctor who used to work at UCH and was in charge of mentoring or supervising young Medical Students. This Doctor allegedly lured one of the students to a hotel in Ibadan in the guise of helping her prepare for an impending exam. He then allegedly proceeded to forcefully defile her by her own public account and she even publicly named the offending Doctor on the internet for the whole world to see.

UCH constituted a panel, called the girl to give her account and the female panel members (themselves senior doctors at UCH) proceeded to gaslight the girl by asking her to state her body count and asked her why she did not wear underwear to a meeting with a man.

Suffice it to say that the panel members sided with their colleague and UCH gave the accused Doctor a soft landing by allowing him to resign and they must have given him a good reference because he immediately left Nigeria for the UK and is now practicing Medicine in the UK. I pity his new patients and medical students he comes into contact with if all that young medical student said about him are true. The BRAVE young lady stuck to her studies and will be qualifying as a Medical Doctor from UCH in a matter of months.

2. I met a not yet successful politician at a friends restaurant in Lagos more than 15 years ago. We got talking and the guy said he has bedded 2 female final year medical students in the same room before and the females saw no big deal in it. I'm guessing that they must have slept their way through their Med School lecturers to get as far as final year of Med School.

3. The one that is scariest is when more than 10 years ago, newspapers carried the story of a female medical Doctor who was arrested at an ungodly hour skimpily dressed and soliciting for "customers" in one of the red light districts in Abuja. It was some of her colleagues who went to plead with the task force and bail her 'cos she was supposed to be on call in the hospital the next morning. Imagine a medical doctor still doing prostitution on the streets of Abuja at night ?? Things dey happen for Nigeria.

That's the anomaly we have in Nigeria where from top to bottom the best of us have been relegated to the background whilst the more criminally minded who see themselves as being above ANY rule or law get parachuted to the top by the criminals in power.

But is such a situation sustainable ? How long before it implodes ??

Thank you very much. This is very enlightening. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

2 Likes

Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by Cantonese: 9:37pm On Apr 07
sunsweet33:

This same thing happened to me like 3 years ago; I presented with a simple open-and-shut case of malaria but the doctor prescribed a confused cocktail of antibiotics and vitamins that bore no relevance and made me even more sick.

I couldn’t believe it, I don’t even like going to the hospital again.

Very sad.

1 Like

Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by Ilekokonit: 1:24am On Apr 08
sunsweet33:

So you’re not a doctor again! After all the disgraceful things you saw, you became disillusioned. Awn. sad

I never wanted to be a doctor in the first place but was brainwashed by my mum from a young age that Medicine was the course for me. I was more suited to anything to do with Mathematics as that came so naturally to me that I did not have to study too hard to pass Maths 'cos once I got the logic, I would never forget it.

The cheating in exams by some of my Med School classmates made it easy for me to make up my mind to leave 'cos I will never cheat in any exam and as 20% or more were cheating, there was no level playing field and I no wan kill myself competing against those cheating classmates. It just was not worth my while.

I eventually retrained from scratch as a Chartered Accountant and post qualification I retrained in Database Programming which is what I do now and since lockdown in March 2020, I have been working from home. (beats having to do night shifts as a Medic who by the way are underpaid in most countries apart from America, Australia and Canada.)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by Danabu(m): 2:43am On Apr 08

1 Like

Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by sunsweet33: 1:44pm On Apr 08
Ilekokonit:

I never wanted to be a doctor in the first place but was brainwashed by my mum from a young age that Medicine was the course for me. I was more as a Medic who by the way are underpaid in most countries apart from America, Australia and Canada.) [/i]

I swear, this spirit of forcing children into disciplines they’re not interested in really needs to end with us. Haba!

Anyway I’m glad you managed to turn things around and create a better life for yourself. At least you have a very high level of conscientiousness which will serve you well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by FireUpNow(m): 7:42pm On Apr 08
Cantonese:

Sadly, everyone of them involved in it will never realize their dreams. Did they truly aspire to become medical doctors in the future? What is the essence of using money to “settle” and then not being able to defend your degree upon qualification as medical doctors? No wonder we have horrible doctors who know absolutely nothing about their medical practices and attending to sick people.

Anyway, who is to blame? A lot of them have rich and influential parents, who either help them secure jobs upon graduation, or open their private practices.

Blames our politicians who go on mvery sad indeed bro.

The situation is so pathetic to be honest with you. Some of our medical doctors are nothing to write home about. Sometimes when one visit our public hospitals one will weep. That's why I dont blame our politicians who go abroad for medical treatment
Re: UNIJOS Student Abdulsalam Idris Beaten To Death By Course Mates Over N30k Bribe by TGCML: 10:53am On Apr 19
Buy WAEC GCE Pins, WAEC Result Checker Scratch Card, Neco Result Token, NABTEB Result Checker Scratch Card on https://myexampin.com/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Approves 5 New Varsities, With ₦5 Billion Take-Off Grant / Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You / When Your Best Friend Turns You Down During Exams (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.