Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. (7713 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Do Edo (Bini) People See Themselves As Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by HowFar1: 4:03pm On Nov 17, 2011
I sat in the toilets at work this afternoon listening to a heated conversation of two Igbo colleagues. Of course I didn't understand a word they said, after all I am a Bini girl, so why should I? Then it struck me, I can't even speak Bini so the chances of my having a gossip session (oops, I mean conversation) with a fellow Bini girl in the toilets at work are slim too none. embarassed

So, I have come back to my desk and have typed all manner of questions into google in the hope that I will find how to say the simplest of phases in my mother's language.

Nothing that serious, I mean I am not trying to say anything complicated like 'Hey there how are you? Nice day we are having. Hope the wife and kids are well and your grandmother, has she recovered from her minor illness?'

No! I just want the basics.

Hello. Goodbye. Thank you. Thank God. How are you. Don't be angry. Goodnight. See you tomorrow. I am from Edo. Show me the money grin (The last one is just for fun).

Please, please can anyone help me?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by Arkhin(m): 4:11pm On Nov 17, 2011
Yes the last one is the most important.Show me the color of your money and i'll teach you everything!
cool
Re: Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by HowFar1: 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2011
Arkhin. Very funny!

1 Like

Re: Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by exotik: 11:02pm On Nov 17, 2011
lol, my written bini is not perfect but i dey scatter am the way obahiagbon dey scatter english grin

so here goes:

'Hey there how are you? - koyor, vbo yehe?

Nice day we are having -  evbi hia ma vbe ede ne'ena

Hope the wife and kids are well and your grandmother, has she recovered from her minor illness?' - de ovbokhanwue kevbe emo ma? kevbe iyue no'khua, egbe rian ne vbe emiamwen khere no'te khuo'vbi?

Hello - koyor

Goodbye - khian zekpe

Thank you - uwese

Thank God - kponmwosa (dis is actually a common bini name, "ikponmwosa": meaning "i thank god"wink

How are you - vbo yehe?

Don't be angry - ghe gui (or you can say "laho, ghe gui": meaning - "please, dont be angry"wink

Goodnight - okhionwie

See you tomorrow - agha miegbe vbe akhue

I am from Edo - ovbiedo me khin

Show me the money - gie igho ne ma mwen

Welcome - obokhian (i noticed u didnt include dat and felt it was necessary)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by HowFar1: 9:51am On Nov 18, 2011
Exotik.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. A million thank you. This very kind of you. I sent my mum a text this morning with some Bini laced in it and she called me back straight away (usually she flashes) crying. That God is finally answering her prayers smiley her daughter is learning Bini!

Oh, one last one please, How do I say SORRY?

Have a great day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by exotik: 1:00pm On Nov 18, 2011
how far, no yawa. im glad i could be of help with my little knowledge.

sorry - do (pronounced as 'doe') but in edo, 'do' can also be used to say 'well-done' as a form of greeting.

other words u might want to know.

friend - ose
my friend - osemwen
plenty friends - osekpo

come - lare
come here - lare vbe evbana
come tomorrow - lare vbe akhue

shut up! - ghunu!

i think u will find edo sites on the internet, where u can learn basic words and phrases coz i know i have seen some. i will help u search later when im on my lappy and will post any link i find.
Re: Bini People, Abeg Be Your Sister's Teacher. by exotik: 2:22pm On Nov 18, 2011
there you go, enjoy!

http://www.edofolks.com/words/edoE.htm

and oh, you might also want to know this:

jesus christ - jesu christi  grin
jesus is the healer - jesuobo/or jesurobo (and those are common bini names which is a variant of the more common "osarobo" meaning "god is the healer"wink

anyways, laters.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Reed Dance Is Out Of Date! / Emir Of Dutse Gifts Wheelchair To 14-Year-Old Physically Challenged Girl / Shea Butter & Coconut Oil Mix For All Skin & Hair Types

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.