Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,307 members, 7,836,334 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine (469 Views)

Bobrisky Jailed For Six Months With No Option Of Fine / Bobrisky To Donate 28th Birthday Cake To Couple About To Wed (Photo) / Bobrisky To Paddy Adenuga: "We Want Your Dad Not You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by kingsways: 6:37pm On Apr 13
1. This guy is a first time offender, said he didn’t know it’s an offence
2. He pleaded guilty, didn’t waste the court’s time
3. Spraying cash is literally Nigerian culture , even that judge must have sprayed cash at one point or another
4 He only sprayed cash for crying out loud, not like he destroyed the notes or set them on fire

5 Likes

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Jostoman: 6:41pm On Apr 13
Let me use this
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Forumites: 6:44pm On Apr 13
kingsways:
3. Spraying cash is literally Nigerian culture , even that judge must have sprayed cash at one point or another
4 He only sprayed cash for crying out loud, not like he destroyed the notes or sent them on fire
I feel for the guy. Let our eyes be on naira sprayers.

2 Likes

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Zonefree(m): 6:45pm On Apr 13
Ignorance is not an excuse.

Relax, it's just 6 months. Bobrisky himself needed the 6 months incarceration let's see if his head go correct small.

3 Likes

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by helinues: 6:47pm On Apr 13
Sebi you be lawyer by profession, go and appeal on his behalf

1 Like

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by SmileDance(f): 7:00pm On Apr 13
kingsways:
4 He only sprayed cash for crying out loud, not like he destroyed the notes or sent them on fire
1. Being a first time offender does not mean he should go Scot free.
2. He pleaded guilty, this contributes to why the money laundering charge was ruled out.
3. Spraying cash and manhandling the naira became a crime less than 2 months ago.
4. He is not the first to be convicted.

Life itself is unfair
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by hisgrace090: 7:52pm On Apr 13
The judgement is condemnable from all angle.

3 Likes

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Forkthiefnubu: 8:03pm On Apr 13
helinues:
Sebi you be lawyer by profession, go and appeal on his behalf
Alway spewing trash

2 Likes

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by helinues: 8:05pm On Apr 13
Forkthiefnubu:

Alway spewing trash

Before you accused others of spewing trash, have you gone through your comments history.

Wondering why some of una like to dey worship hypocrisy like demi god
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by naptu2: 8:09pm On Apr 13

naptu2:
Naira note offences and Bobrisky

1980s

I attended a party at the official residence of a very senior government official in 1985 or '86. When it was time for the dance, the MC announced that there would be no spraying because spraying was not allowed. I thought about this and I understood it.

From then on I heard similar announcements at parties that were held by government officials. My thought was that they did not want any ostentatious displays of wealth. That was in line with the situation in the country at the time.

Dirty and mutilated notes in the 1990s and early 2000s

Fastforward to the late 1990s and early 2000s. Nigerians had been complaining about the poor quality of naira notes since the end of the 1990s. They complained that naira notes were dirty, torn and that in some cases you could barely read what's written on them. At that time (Joseph Sanusi era) the CBN put pressure on banks to receive old naira notes and forward them to it for destruction (Nigerians were complaining that even banks were rejecting old naira notes).

Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo and the change

Then came Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo. Professor Soludo gave a speech in which he complained that the CBN was spending too much money to destroy mutilated notes and print new ones. He complained about the way that Nigerians treated bank notes. He reminded people that it was illegal to mishandle currency notes and he said that he was going to propose an amendment to the law to ensure that people who mishandle naira notes were severely punished.

Adverts

The CBN then released adverts to educate Nigerians about naira notes. You might remember them. The adverts were very detailed and explained every single situation properly. I’m going to try and explain them from memory.

1) Spraying: Do you want to show appreciation to a musician? Don’t paste naira notes on his forehead (where they will react with his sweat), don’t allow it to drop to the floor and react with dirt, don’t allow people to step and dance on it.

Instead, put the money in an envelope and go up and give it to the musician.

2) Carrying money: Don’t put naira notes in your bra where they will react with your sweat. Don’t squeeze naira notes and stuff them in your pockets. Get a wallet and put them neatly in the wallet.

3) Trading: Are you a trader/hawker? Don’t squeeze naira notes, don’t stuff them in your wrapper/pockets. Get a waist pouch and place them neatly in the pouch. Ensure that your hands are clean before you handle the naira. Don’t get blood or other liquids on the naira.

4) Church: Don’t squeeze naira notes into the collection box/basket. Put them in an envelope and place them neatly into the box/basket.

5) Selling change: Don’t sell naira notes. It is an offence. (Some people sell lower denomination notes [aka change] at parties, so that people will have money to spray).

6) Writing: Do you want to make calculations and write down important things? Don’t write on the naira, get a notepad.

All these scenarios were dramatised in the adverts (I’m sure that I have forgotten some of them).

The CBN said that the naira was a national symbol and people must treat it with respect.

Polymer notes:

You might remember that this was also one of the reasons that Professor Soludo introduced polymer notes. It was said that the polymer (plastic) notes would not get torn and would not absorb liquids as easily as the paper notes. It was also more difficult to write on the plastic notes.

Enforcement

The CBN act was amended to include jail terms for people who mishandle naira notes.

However, on one hand, some people expressed scepticism. Would the Central Bank go to all parties at weekends to arrest people that were spraying and selling change? They said that it was impossible to enforce.

On the other hand, some bloggers and rumour mongers created scare stories about policemen invading parties and arresting people.

Flagrancy

As stated above, the CBN/EFCC/ICPC cannot go to all parties every weekend and arrest every single person that sprays or sells money. They can’t arrest everybody that puts naira notes in their bra or stuffs them in their pocket.

Yet many people have been arrested and prosecuted for committing these offences in the past 17 years. How come?

Bobrisky was arraigned on a three count charge, that means he committed the offence 3 times, why wasn’t he arrested after the first or second time and why was he arrested after the third time? In fact, people who follow these kind of events will tell you that Bobrisky has sprayed money on more than 3 occasions. Why wasn’t he arrested all the other times? I’ll tell you what happened.

A movie producer wanted maximum publicity for her movie and she figured out a way to get it. Bobrisky was invited to the movie premier and given an award for being the best dressed woman at the event. As expected, this caused an uproar.

The issue trended for a full week. There were many pictures, videos, stories and opinions about the incident. Many of them graced Nairaland’s homepage. The movie producer had gotten the publicity that she wanted.

In fact, the backlash was so great that the producer had to eventually admit that it was a publicity stunt (my friend had said that it was a publicity stunt right from when the first story broke).

Among the videos that trended for a week was a video of Bobrisky spraying money at the event. There was no way that it would not catch the attention of the EFCC.

A lot of people have been arrested and prosecuted for these offences in the past 17 years and if you look at them you’ll notice that they were all fragrant violations of the law.

A1) A Chinese man got angry at the Murtala Muhammed Airport and he tore over three thousand naira worth of notes right in front of security agents (Immigration, Customs, SSS). He was arrested by the SSS and handed over to the EFCC. He was prosecuted and sentenced to 2 years in jail.

https://www.efcc.gov.ng/efcc/news-and-information/news-release/8080-court-jails-chinese-two-years-for-naira-mutilation

Another actress was spraying money at an event and the video went viral. This was at a time that the government was very sensitive about the notes because they had just been redesigned and were scarce. Of course she was arrested and prosecuted.

https://www.nairaland.com/7553630/efcc-arrests-oluwadarasimi-omoseyin-over

A man became famous for creating jewelry made of naira and kobo coins. That fame was his problem. Of course he was arrested.

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2023/5/currency-mutilation-man-jailed-for-using-nigerian-coins-to-make-jewelry-2.html

There were also some people that were selling new naira notes at a party in Ilorin at a time when the notes had been redesigned and were scarce. They were also arrested.

So as you can see and as you will see when I share more articles and stories, there is nothing special about Bobrisky’s arrest and conviction.

1 Like

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by DMerciful(m): 8:30pm On Apr 13
But you're defending the criminal drug baron and certificate forger! See how the common man hate themselves
SmileDance:

1. Being a first time offender does not mean he should go Scot free.
2. He pleaded guilty, this contributes to why the money laundering charge was ruled out.
3. Spraying cash and manhandling the naira became a crime less than 2 months ago.
4. He is not the first to be convicted.

Life itself is unfair

1 Like

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Asonaijaaso: 8:44pm On Apr 13
One thing i dont get about LGBT community is......Do your LGBT IN PEACE.

Dont try to glamorize and force it down those that are not interested.

Idris decided to take the whole country on a cruise, he would come out everyday to shout he is untouchable !

Knowing fully well Nigeria is a secular country. People deserve to raise their children without undue exposure to his lifestyle. He can keep it to himself. The fact that we tolerate him doesn't mean we condone it.

Before he is released, he should be made to sign affidavit that he will not continue forcefully propagating LGBT lifestyle. Nigeria has more problems we need to address. Not man and man sex.

1 Like

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by WorldRichest: 8:48pm On Apr 13
kingsways:
4 He only sprayed cash for crying out loud, not like he destroyed the notes or set them on fire

You can follow him there so that you can be fuccking his anus.

You said spraying money is a Nigerian culture, is a homosexualism also your family culture?

1 Like

Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by WorldRichest: 8:50pm On Apr 13
Asonaijaaso:
One thing i dont get about LGBT community is......Do your LGBT IN PEACE.

Dont try to glamorize and force it down those that are not interested.

Idris decided to take the whole country on a cruise, he would come out everyday to shout he is untouchable !

Knowing fully well Nigeria is a secular country. People deserve to raise their children without undue exposure to his lifestyle. He can keep it to himself. The fact that we tolerate him doesn't mean we condone it.

Before he is released, he should be made to sign affidavit that he will not continue forcefully propagating LGBT lifestyle. Nigeria has more problems we need to address. Not man and man sex.

He and his supporters are MAD. He go hear am for prison
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by WorldRichest: 8:50pm On Apr 13
DMerciful:
But you're defending the criminal drug baron and certificate forger! See how the common man hate themselves

Who in your family is the criminal drug baron and certificate forger you are talking about?
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by kingsways: 9:34pm On Apr 13
WorldRichest:

You can follow him there so that you can be fuccking his anus.

You said spraying money is a Nigerian culture, is a homosexualism also your family culture?
Don’t come and spew rubbish if you don’t have common sense. He wasn’t charged for homosexuality
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Adaisback(f): 9:48pm On Apr 13
Many Nigerians are guilty of spraying naira notes including our polithiefians. They should pls pardon bobrisky and give the rest of us two years to adjust to this their new policy for Christ sake we are above 200 million people na
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by 2aces(m): 12:02am On Apr 14
Bob don commit full ground, na the one them fit use hold am be that. Me self happy cos he made other idiots think they can get away with immoral behavior in the society, hand go touch all of them one by each.
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by SAMBARRY: 12:08am On Apr 14
Anybody wey no see parents train am,abi Dem train am,e no train himself or he decided not to even listen to the words of caution oma jisinu ofin aye ni.

I remember when people old and young,men and women were begging bob.shora shey,shora re,pipe down,lay low, reduce your excesses,he will return it to them with insults and his situation reminds me of yinka ayefeles song which says

Ntaye baso eda,wafi bue tobadola,awa lamo nta shey fun e seyin seyin

The spraying of money was just a convenient excuse.theres something more than spraying of money they arrested him for

It's bad enough people were closetly resenting and hating on you and you still didn't hear the voice of warning to pipe low.now where are the people that always invite you for their owanmbes or podcast? How many of them don go visit you for prison.even the eniola sef no go instead she went on with her movies and replaced bob with portable .the same portable that took advantage of the controversy surrounding the movie to quickly throw a jab at bob to cash out

If you have not yet understood Ebenezer obeys song taye nba Fe e,korora saye o,aye ofeni foro aforieni,then you're on a long thing.do you now know the interesting part, after all the people that he was dining and partying with moved on,it's only his sister that stood up for him.the same sister that still looks like sapa promax despite All the money he spends outside. Another one-if everyone forgets you your family will always have your back no matter how Terrible the world sees you and no matter how badly you have treated them lipsrsealed take care of family o.after God they're all you've got at the end of the day.every other person is just there for the good times or what their relationship with you will do to them.

Iyen lobe.as notorious as gistlover is (hate him or love him) as funny, sarcastic and wild as he can be I remembered he warned bob severally.he warned him using jokes, parables, insults and sarcasm but he won't listen
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by kingsways: 11:14am On Apr 14
SAMBARRY:
Anybody wey no see parents train am,abi Dem train am,e no train himself or he decided not to even listen to the words of caution oma jisinu ofin aye ni.

I remember when people old and young,men and women were begging bob.shora shey,shora re,pipe down,lay low, reduce your excesses,he will return it to them with insults and his situation reminds me of yinka ayefeles song which says

Ntaye baso eda,wafi bue tobadola,awa lamo nta shey fun e seyin seyin

The spraying of money was just a convenient excuse.theres something more than spraying of money they arrested him for

It's bad enough people were closetly resenting and hating on you and you still didn't hear the voice of warning to pipe low.now where are the people that always invite you for their owanmbes or podcast? How many of them don go visit you for prison.even the eniola sef no go instead she went on with her movies and replaced bob with portable .the same portable that took advantage of the controversy surrounding the movie to quickly throw a jab at bob to cash out

If you have not yet understood Ebenezer obeys song taye nba Fe e,korora saye o,aye ofeni foro aforieni,then you're on a long thing.do you now know the interesting part, after all the people that he was dining and partying with moved on,it's only his sister that stood up for him.the same sister that still looks like sapa promax despite All the money he spends outside. Another one-if everyone forgets you your family will always have your back no matter how Terrible the world sees you and no matter how badly you have treated them lipsrsealed take care of family o.after God they're all you've got at the end of the day.every other person is just there for the good times or what their relationship with you will do to them.

Iyen lobe.as notorious as gistlover is (hate him or love him) as funny, sarcastic and wild as he can be I remembered he warned bob severally.he warned him using jokes, parables, insults and sarcasm but he won't listen

And should a judge sentence him for whatever other than what he was charged for?
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Change4dbeta: 11:40am On Apr 14
kingsways:

Can't she appeal the sentence . it's highly unfair .Asfar as I know crossdressing is not a crime by Nigerian law.so spraying of naira doesn't warrant jail time.
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by SAMBARRY: 1:21pm On Apr 14
kingsways:

And should a judge sentence him for whatever other than what he was charged for?
I don't know the full details of the story.i am only stating my opinion BASED ON THE ONE THE MEDIA CHOSE TO RELEASE TO THE PUBLIC.however I have a feeling that there's more to bob's arrest than meets the eyes or there's somethings going on behind the scene that the media is not telling us.if not who goes to prison with Louis Vuitton bags.prison na hotel ,resort or vacation place? Abii na place where he go dey wear his designer clothes or wigs?

Mafinumi momoje.

Even mega super stars like rkelly, this South Africa stop apartheid Man (I've forgotten his name),fela or Martin Luther king, them carry designer bag go prison? When these people are ready to talk they'll tell us what THEY REALLY ARRESTED BOB FOR.till then make we dey play my fans
Re: It Was Grossly Unfair To Send Bobrisky To Prison Without Option Of Fine by Natbrowny: 1:25pm On Apr 14
Well CBN offences and penalties states

Prison Term AND Fine
Prison Term only

There is no mention of
PRISON OR FINE
FINE ONLY

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Davido And Chioma In Jamaica For Her Birthday Despite Wizkid Drama. / Help Me With Tonto Dikeh's Topic That Could Hit Front Page! / Mind Of A Geek

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.