Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,992 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet (5233 Views)

SEUN: Why Do You Allow Your Moderators To Censor Posts? / Breaking: Nigeria Labour Congress Website Hacked / Facebook Tells India It Won’t Help Censor The Web (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Jenifa1: 1:47am On Nov 19, 2011
If you use Mozilla Firefox, you might be familiar with this story. It describes how "the U.S. Congress is considering legislation that could profoundly affect the future of the internet."* The so-called Stop Online Piracy Act or SOPA, if passed into law, will magnify internet censorship to an unprecedented scale. Yes, internet censorship does already exist to some extent and if you are a Youtube viewer like me, you might already be aware of this fact.

One main usefulness of the internet since its inception, just a few decades ago, is its ability to allow for an unprecedented accessibility to a myriad of  free information. With the lowering cost of access, as well as the emergence of social media, more people -especially the young- are more connected to others and to unmonitored information than ever before. The internet has been partially responsible for the several political revolutions that have occurred around the world this year alone. These uprisings, which have been powerful enough to unseat presidents, are examples of how the internet can be a tool for not only organizing people around a political cause but also bringing hidden information to light. The US govt, still dealing with the aftermath of Wikileaks, has now had to concern itself with the nuances of Occupy Wall Street (OWS) protests. For these reasons, it is quite obvious why the US congress is pushing to censor the internet. Its security is threatened and at stake if information reaching the masses is not controlled or filtered. It is the same fear that is behind China's severe information censorship.

The US prides itself as a model democratic government. Do you think it is right in attempting to censor the internet? This censorship will also affect non -US residents since the US is the primary source of a large quantity of information digested by many people around the world.

[b]*[/b]https://donate.mozilla.org/page/s/SOPA?source=snippet
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Kobojunkie: 1:52am On Nov 19, 2011
Yes, take the side of cooperations like Google and Facebook . . . why don't you!
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Jenifa1: 1:57am On Nov 19, 2011
I'm on the side of the masses.

the internet really has been revolutionary and i'm surprised it has taken up to now for the govt to try to censor it. China was smarter. I think they censored it from day 1.
People are brainwashed anyway. with a plethora of sites and info to be gained, most still choose to spend most of their time on facebook, WoW or nairaland  tongue
but I can't complain. sites like twitter, facebook and nairaland have help spread the 'revolutions'. They have been useful in more important ways [s]like connecting me to such a @#%$&&^ like Kobojunkie [/s]  tongue cheesy grin angry
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Kobojunkie: 2:00am On Nov 19, 2011
^^^ Please take time to really look into what the debate is about. It is not on censoring all of the internet but parts of it . . . . even parts that affect the masses. If you have been open to these before this piece you picked up on, you would at least concede that their needs to be some monitoring on the internet.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Jenifa1: 2:01am On Nov 19, 2011
^duh.

but I bet you if they start today, in 10 yrs time internet will become more like TV.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Horus(m): 2:20am On Nov 19, 2011
It is more and more difficult to censor the Internet. China employs numerous ways to try to accomplish that, but there are many easy ways the average person can circumvent these elaborate filters. The Internet is just too vast and changes too fast for any censoring system today to keep up. It’s really easy to make copies of information and then hide those copies, and getting rid of them is extremely difficult, if not impossible. It’s just not the same as burning physical books.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Jenifa1: 2:28am On Nov 19, 2011
^ so basically internet censorship is nothing to be worried about?
I don't believe this one bit.

I'll assume that a lot of us are in denial
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by sexyshe(f): 7:02pm On Nov 19, 2011
it wont work.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by NET1(m): 7:05pm On Nov 19, 2011
Now, I know where Labaran Maku got his silly ideas from.

.NET
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by olusunyah(m): 7:14pm On Nov 19, 2011
the whole scene might just jeopardize the reason behind the existence of internet   
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 19, 2011
Bullshiit !
When china was censoring the internet,the same US was barking like a mad dog but now that everything seems to be falling apart for them,they are considering this anti-democratic law.mschew
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Ymodulus: 7:53pm On Nov 19, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Bullshiit !
When china was censoring the internet,the same US was barking like a mad dog but now that everything seems to be falling apart for them,they are considering this anti-democratic law.mschew

you just said it all. this people are damn hypocrite
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by klas(m): 8:42pm On Nov 19, 2011
Almost 24hours after the thread was created, only 11 posts. Thank God the censorship wasnt suggested by GEJ or Nigeria for that matter. The thread would have passed 100 pages with our brainwashed citizens and 'diasporans' writing us off as a failed state
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 19, 2011
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by 1forall: 9:16pm On Nov 19, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Bullshiit !

Exactly, when Egypt and Tunisia were censoring Internet content to try and keep their revolutions under control the same US was crying foul play.
Babanla hypocrites!
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by klas(m): 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
Wrong. Threads on this section typically do not span more than two pages; you can verify this by looking at all the threads on the first page. If this were posted on the politics section, then that would be a different case.

My bad. I linked here from the front page and took it for granted that the thread is in politics section
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:05am On Nov 20, 2011
1forall:

Exactly, when Egypt and Tunisia were censoring Internet content to try and keep their revolutions under control the same US was crying foul play.
Babanla hypocrites!
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Jenifa1: 12:19am On Nov 20, 2011
this thread belongs in politics section.
not "webmasters"
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by iykak47: 2:35am On Nov 20, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Bullshiit !
brother mi take take e-shandshake, thank you joo
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by benlay(m): 8:38am On Nov 20, 2011
, that reminds me of 'Alawiye' a Yoruba textbook that we read in primary school, lol, the US Congress nor the US government is not planning to censor the internet, folks should be fast to hear and think and be slow to talk. Common people!
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by EvilBrain1(m): 11:01am On Nov 20, 2011
This bill is just another desperate move by a bunch of obsolete companies to cripple or kill the new innovation that has made them useless. The internet is making the record labels and big media conglomerates irrelevant so they're bribing the pröstitutès in congress to do something about it. It just shows that most US politicians work for corporations who pay for their campaigns and not the people who vote for them.

The internet is the future, the media industry needs to adapt or die, that's how progress works. Imagine if the horse-drawn cart industry had managed to get the governement to ban cars 100 years ago. Nonsense!
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by dtwsola(m): 2:12pm On Nov 20, 2011
Some of you peeps are so reactionary. Why don't you read and understand before spewing nonsense. No the US congress is not planning to censor the internet. The Stop Online Piracy Act is a bill supported by large entertainment and recording corporations to control piracy. The problem is that it won't work. They had a similar bill in Congress which failed just last year. And this bill will also fail. Trying to compare the BILL (not a law) to laws in place in regimes like China and Iran which censor political and religious speech on the internet is simply disingenuous.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by iykak47: 3:00pm On Nov 20, 2011
dtw_sola:

Some of you peeps are so reactionary. Why don't you read and understand before spewing nonsense. No the US congress is not planning to censor the internet. The Stop Online Piracy Act is a bill supported by large entertainment and recording corporations to control piracy. The problem is that it won't work. They had a similar bill in Congress which failed just last year. And this bill will also fail. Trying to compare the BILL (not a law) to laws in place in regimes like China and Iran which censor political and religious speech on the internet is simply disingenuous.
Teacher dont teach me nonsense. angry angry angry
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by DaLover(m): 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2011
i guess the US entertainment industry is really begining to fill the heat, people just dont buy music anymore, when u can easily download off the web, tghe same thing with movies, although not as much, but the stop piracy act alone will not work, someone has to come up with some ingenious way of encrypting online media such music, movies and books to ensure that pple who paid can enjoy the benefits of owing a digital media file without the posibgility of the files being easily shared,

i bet that anyone that comes up with such technology stands to make millions of dollars
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by mrperfect(m): 9:13pm On Nov 20, 2011
Thank you for the update.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Jenifa1: 9:58pm On Nov 20, 2011
Imagine the thousands of people like me who rely on Torrents to listen to music and watch movies grin

http://americancensorship.org/
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by islamrules(m): 8:07am On Nov 21, 2011
That will be a good thing.
Virus, spamming, hacking may be tackled tru this.

At least, internet will be safe again.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by vivicole: 1:21am On Nov 22, 2011
can it be successful?
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by justwise(m): 8:32am On Jan 18, 2012
dtw_sola:

Some of you peeps are so reactionary. Why don't you read and understand before spewing nonsense. No the US congress is not planning to censor the internet. The Stop Online Piracy Act is a bill supported by large entertainment and recording corporations to control piracy. [/b]The problem is that it won't work. They had a similar bill in Congress which failed just last year. And this bill will also fail. [b]Trying to compare the BILL (not a law) to laws in place in regimes like China and Iran which censor political and religious speech on the internet is simply disingenuous.

Thank you!!, you are the only sensible contributor here.

Folks here read the headline without knowing what the details are and start embarrassing themselves by saying all sorts of garbage.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by mrperfect(m): 5:26pm On Jan 18, 2012
I think Internet shouldn't be censored as this is joy of it.
Re: Us Congress Plan To Censor The Internet by Ekiti1: 1:05am On Jan 19, 2012
islamrules:

That will be a good thing.
Virus, spamming, hacking may be tackled tru this.

At least, internet will be safe again.
Really

(1) (Reply)

*** Get A Free Website *** (www.yourname.com) / Strategies That Will Boost Your Website Traffic Right Away. / a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.