Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,684 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us (30576 Views)

5 Reasons Why Online Retailers Are Crushing Brick-and-mortar Merchants / Save Us; Flour Companies Are Killing Our Businesses, Bakers Beg FG / Distributors,wholesalers, Retailers Are Wanted For Brand Of Baby Wipes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by kingmsookwagh(m): 10:21pm On Apr 21
Call the above consumer protection right number to report any dare devil Retailer ripping you off..
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by poseidon12: 10:22pm On Apr 21
Afamed:

That was what your brothers at Ochanja market was telling me just yesterday.
They blame Tinubu just to extort innocent people.
Most of you in your markets are not happy, the $ is coming down.
You all wanted $ to be N4000 , so you can continue to blame Tinubu and continue to extort innocent people.

Na only Una dey pay for custom duties?
What your brother wanted to sell for me N78k is sold in Lagos N55k.
Una to greedy for that side

Quick money syndrome, Una too like am.
The keke from Nsukka to Obolor Afor, I took just around Feb, ran out of fuel.
He needed to buy just a litre along the road before he got to another filling station, which is less than 2 klm.

The road sellers black market were not ready to sell below N1500. For a liter of fuel.
Una to like exploitation for that side

Why don't you seize the opportunity and open a retail shop, undercut the "greedy retailers" by selling much lower and make a killing.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by poseidon12: 10:26pm On Apr 21
predictor1:
You just read it up. Thank you for that at least. But profiteering happens everywhere it's allowed, not necessarily war zones.

You don't know the meaning of profiteering.
Let's leave that aside for now. Things cost money like you keep repeating but then when you do profit gouging all because things cost money, that's ripping hapless people off and it's all shades of wrong.That's too common in poverty stricken places such as Africa. We are just too uncaring. Why do you think Africa is the way it is?

It's not just the stupid leaders, it's you and me as well. My landlady who had a shop in front of the house sold me a congo of rice. It was #500 at the time. I went inside the house to get money for her. I came out in less than 5 minutes. She told me the price was no longer #500 but #600 because someone just told her price of rice had gone up. grin

That's what the op is telling you people. There's something about Nigerians and morality I don't get. And when you complain they'll tell you to also go and open a shop and start selling stuff too. That's always their last resort like you and another person told the OP.

The reason they are telling you to go open a shop is because they believe that you don't understand the challenges they face daily in the retail business.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by ufotunang: 10:27pm On Apr 21
You cannot compare trade fare bussiness with retailers shop bussiness ..there is much difference...the trade fare buy in bulk, cartons direct from the manufacturers in cheaper price and cheaper rate ..while the retailers buy their products from the market addition with transportation costs of transportating the products to their shops, rent of the shop, tax , electricity bill and other overhead costs and expenses they incur

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by cucumbar: 10:29pm On Apr 21
ccollins:
keep quiet . Seems u love the economic hazards that Nigerians has faced unfortunately before but let me remind you that inflation has reduced, the naira has appreciated manifestly and there are signs that prices of goods are coming down well. How can you be unconscionable to support high inflation in a country instead of economic stability. U eagerly want people not to afford good things of life and that they should struggle because of inflation. See the price disparity between trade Fair market dealers and the local retailers around you and u are here trying to justify why commodities should be more expensive to what end? For your selfish reasons or to make most Nigerians not to be able to afford necessary basic commodities for themselves and their familiies.
How can retailers be changing prices like 3-4 times or more in the space of 2 months.thats abnormal. There is no famine and yet some retailers skyrocket their prices.they are truly greedy and it's either you are a member of Lagos chamber of commerce and industry or u are a typical business man retailer who just wants to make all gains from selling market.dollar is going down now so stop your selfish stories and defense. Prices of goods must come down.the federal competition and consumer protection commission would soon visit Lagos to stop this anomaly.
na by force to speak English?
You are even using words that are not in the dictionary.
No comma, no full stop.
You are compounding the problem for us sef.
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by cucumbar: 10:31pm On Apr 21
Elinosweet143:
Retailers are not trying at all, their own is too much imagine buying indomie for 10k with 40 peices inside and reselling it for 250 to 300 naira each, abi buying a dozen of 50naira biscuits for 600 and reselling each for 70 naira do the math and see the height of their greed and wickedness and this is to mention just a few oh the list os endless
is making N2000 on a carton of indomie too much profit?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Omalicious1: 10:35pm On Apr 21
Pecoleee345:
People are wicked in this country.

Greed will finish us in this country.

Go to trade fare and see how street retailers are ripping us off big time.

My wife bought her body cream CT+ at the rate 2100 at trade fare yesterday while in our area retailers are selling it for 3700.

Kk brothers soap my wife bought the pack for 7k(6pieces) while one is sold for 1700 by retailers.

Her sanitary pad she bought 1 pack at the rate of 1050 while retailers sell for 1700.

Even strike bitters sachet pack(20 pieces) wey I dey always use console myself i buy for 2000 she got it for 1450.

Note she didn't even buy at carton price but at pack price because if she was buying in carton the price would be lower that than.

Just yesterday I bought a derica of rice on my way back home for 900 around oshodi terminal while the seller in my street is still selling for 1300 despite price of bag of rice coming down.

We are own problem.......everyone is wicked in this country.

Last time they blamed it on the dollar, now they are blaming it on the cost of petrol...we are definitely our problem

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by poseidon12: 10:37pm On Apr 21
jumper524:
with pains my dad had to increase his house rent from #150k to #250k.
well I don't regret, most of his tenants are business men who inflate price so in the end the suffering goes round.
just that we are creating more criminals for the unemployed.

So it is ok for you to increase the house rent but not ok for the retailer to increase price (although the retailer may have bought at a higher price from the wholesaler?
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Beverlyjean(f): 10:41pm On Apr 21
nairalanda1:

What is happening in Nigeria, everyone is suffering. Everyone needs money

So the people who sell rice.need to also raise money.

Part of life

U are saying total nonsense...are they the only ones that need money?? So because they need money , they can now sell a bottle of Eva water for 1k

2 Likes

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by ubev01(m): 10:41pm On Apr 21
Pecoleee345:

See one them......wicked humans

Those selling in trade fare are aliens?? They are not suffering hardship??

How can you buy something for 2100 and want to sell for 3700??

We buying are plucking money from trees
how did you know he bought his at trade fair? He probably bought from someone that bought from someone that bought from trade fair.
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by mimijane(f): 10:42pm On Apr 21
Are u trying to tell me retailers should not make their gain?
If u are a business person,u will understand better.
How will a business person buy from a wholesale,for instance 1000 and still sell it 1000.wont the retailers add his or her gain,do u want to rip the person off business.
If u cannot afford want they sell ,then buy ur things u use in ur house in bulk from a wholesaler,simple.....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by SmartMen: 10:42pm On Apr 21
Pecoleee345:

See one them......wicked humans

Those selling in trade fare are aliens?? They are not suffering hardship??

How can you buy something for 2100 and want to sell for 3700??

We buying are plucking money from trees

You are a mor00on who lacks basic economics knowledge. You are also selfish. So they should sell it to you at how much?

nA YOUR urine dem go use pay shop, take care of their kids lives and needs, pay house rent, and all?

1 Like

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Father4all: 10:54pm On Apr 21
Go and open your own shop oga
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by NoToPile: 10:56pm On Apr 21
Loool everybody should shine their eyes.

Retailers make far more profit than the wholesalers especially our online vendors.

At least no dollar to blame now and fowl yansh is open, the hypocrisy of our business men is out for all to see.

That said prices are dropping, shine your eyes folks. It is your duty to ensure you are not ripped off. angry

One of the women I patronize told me point blank that price of some items i bought dropped when I picked some stuffs from her this week, if it were others they won't talk.

2 Likes

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Connected1: 11:04pm On Apr 21
tete7000:

In as much as I am not putting up excuses for the retailer, I suggest you too set up a retail shop and force the price down rather down wailing here on nairaland which won't change anything. We all complain too much in this country without taking any concrete action.
Everyone isn't financially capable.

Even Airpeace felt the wild competition when they brought down flight fares.

Encourage Nigerians to be Good and not telling him to go into Retail. Everyone can't be a Retailer.

2 Likes

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by abdsamad(m): 11:07pm On Apr 21
Economists on this thread must be sighing incessantly.
All these arguments go back to poor understanding of economics.

Let's shaa be calming down.
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Ate247(m): 11:09pm On Apr 21
Pecoleee345:

My wife bought her body cream CT+ at the rate 2100 at trade fare yesterday while in our area retailers are selling it for 3700.

Kk brothers soap my wife bought the pack for 7k(6pieces) while one is sold for 1700 by retailers.

Her sanitary pad she bought 1 pack at the rate of 1050 while retailers sell for 1700.

Even strike bitters sachet pack(20 pieces) wey I dey always use console myself i buy for 2000 she got it for 1450.

Note she didn't even buy at carton price but at pack price because if she was buying in carton the price would be lower that than.

Just yesterday I bought a derica of rice on my way back home for 900 around oshodi terminal while the seller in my street is still selling for 1300 despite price of bag of rice coming down.

your wife probably got a fake one
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by CaptainFM1: 11:17pm On Apr 21
Pecoleee345:

We don't operate formal and universal market system.
In all you enumerated, you do not factor in transport, comfort and convenience fee for buying groceries on your street ( a stone throw from you).

Someone has gone into this hot and scorching Nigeria Sun to bring those items to your doorstep and you don't want him or her to drink cold coke on your head.

We all did business studies in school and we know that one of the advantages of a sole trader is he determines his price. How much more an informal market settings.

The only way to crash such a price within your neighborhood is by the market to compete with one another within that axis. Otherwise, if you don't buy from the store, someone else will.
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by prophetfire: 11:18pm On Apr 21
SalamRushdie:
So the goods will fly magically from trade fair to your house? Add you wife's transport to and fro , her refreshments at trade Fair and then you will will understand
stop supporting evil.

1 Like

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by RexTramadol1: 11:32pm On Apr 21
SalamRushdie:

When a shop owners takes cartons of that cream to your area from trade fair,
They pay transport

They pay tradefair dues

They pay those that load it

They pay policemen on the road

They pay local govt Agbero

They pay staff in their shop

They pay for deisel for generator

They pay rent and rent is expensive in that your area than trade fair

Oga the price cant be the same

Omo, space for your head go build university and airport ooo
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by SalamRushdie: 12:06am On Apr 22
ManirBK:
my friend how far longtime no fight

Bro ..how far , e don tey oo😁😁
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by flourishing247: 12:29am On Apr 22
Pecoleee345:

Better be sure of what you are buying. Most of those products have different types with different prices. Just like extract. They have two types one is cheaper than the other. Same pack same everything.
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by odimbannamdi(m): 12:38am On Apr 22
harjay1986:

Thats where you get it wrong as an household i may want to get just pieces that will last me few week and once I see that the different is high then I will change my buying pattern to carton which will save me much

Now com down to retailer If I buy let say bathing soap 3 pack and each is around 1000 from where I buy from, I can sell for 1200 or 1300, making 200h or 300h, yes you may say the profit is low but mind you thats is 20% or 30% gain from my 1000 naira on each soap, doing this will make my sales cheap and improve my turnover, but if am now of a taught that I want 100% gain on every 1000 naira my sales will drop

Okay, something happen of recent, we do buy Garri Paint bucket around 2k suddenly it turn to 4k, me and my wife decide to buy raw cassava and process it into garri, we buy two sack that's 10k after everything we get 6 paint bucket of Garri, thats around 24k in price we have save on that,

As a retailer forget the saying that if you add transport fare to it ... let that statement stay with you, that market you think you know that has turn to your own Job many of them know the same place. The moment you think you are doing your customer favor and they go outside to confirm a lower price you loose such customer even if you reduce the price more than what they get outside

You did not save 24k bro.

You are making a common mistake people do when they calculate their cost savings.

What is the opportunity cost of your time? The time you and your wife used in processing the cassava into garri could have been used for another activity that could make you more than that 24k. If you have a job that paid you 500k per month, for example, calculate how much your earning would be per hour and multiply it by the total hours you spent processing the garri to know how much the value of the time you spent processing the garri is.

Now talk about the water and other consumables you would use in the process as well.

I am not encouraging you to buy the garri from the retailer at an exorbitant price o...I just want you to do your calculations well and correctly determine whether you actually saving money

2 Likes

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by odimbannamdi(m): 12:42am On Apr 22
Bullfallo:
Most trade fair are items that’s about to expire .

Things will not come down like that oh because landlord have increase rent and schools increases school fees. Those once will never bring it down again. So blame tinubu for insensitive actions towards messing up the economy

I totally agree.

The rash and harsh economic policies of this present administration as soon as they assumed leadership set the country into a downward spiral. Sadly, they have reverted to the same policies they stood against, after significant damage has been done to the economy. Even if dollar miraculously depreciates to 400 against the naira, certain prices will never revert to previous prices.

1 Like

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by FRANKOSKI(m): 12:50am On Apr 22
Pecoleee345:

Transportation to the shop...?
Na so d country be.
In CALABAR here okro is just 4 pieces for 100 naira. Not am imported goods oooo

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by FRANKOSKI(m): 12:51am On Apr 22
One bottle of fearless is 500
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Agbaburna1291: 12:52am On Apr 22
Mint iphone SE 2020 64GB(white)
Factory unlocked
TouchID✅92%BH
Ask for more pictures

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by ambale(m): 1:14am On Apr 22
maasoap:

If dem no buy from trade fair, dem no get where dem dey buy from? Or, no be from the manufacturers/companies all the goods come from? May be those selling at the trade fair steal am

I can see you've never tried a business or trade all your life

How many retailers fit buy directly from manufacturers?

Una even do economics for school at all?

Na from direct manufacturers everyone dey buy from, I give up on your mumuness sha
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by mrvitalis(m): 1:47am On Apr 22
maasoap:

Too many rippers on this forum

Sellers are ripping you off and all you want to do is to work more and make more money to dash them? Wonderful! Our fellow Nairalanders with their unique solutions to problems grin grin grin.
are they ripping u more than APC?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Originalsly: 2:28am On Apr 22
Hmmm ..... the people at the Trade Fair .... by how much do they mark up their products? If they are too expensive ... don't buy ... get stuff from the Trade Fair..... see how that works out.
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by Taiwo20(m): 3:14am On Apr 22
Buy from whosalers and farmers market.
Prices are relatively cheaper
Re: People Are Wicked.....retailers Are Killing Us by bewla(m): 3:15am On Apr 22
Pecoleee345:

First and foremost Seun should have charge you for advertising without paying.
To the topic have you checked price of moving those goods from the market to them shop multiple tax and area boys fee
Dose are the mean challenge
On the rice I believe it's old and new stock issues
But all and all government no try at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak Around UBA Building Dugbe, Ibadan (Video) / How To Register Your Business In Nigeria / POS Operator Returns Cash To FCMB Cashier That Overpaid Him With N100k (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.