Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? (43498 Views)

The Only Type Of Nigerian Who Will Enjoy The Japa Lifestyle Of The West / The Japa After The Japa / Nigerian Youths And The ‘Japa’ Syndrome, By Fredrick Nwabufo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by anamo: 3:43pm On Apr 26
Who else notice that the japa noise has reduced these days? Or people no longer japa again ? Before, anywhere you go on social media you’ll see things like “I don’t get these things, I just talk to a man who sold his 5 duplexes and 500 cars and 6 businesses in Nigeria to relocate to UK permanently “ “new dispensation”

Is it that people no longer japa ir they’re hiding it now?

44 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:48pm On Apr 26
Exchange rate palava. Also immigration policies have become very stringent now.

395 Likes 27 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Drickstore(m): 3:55pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:
Exactly

126 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by anamo: 4:05pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

Hmmm.. true. I thought the same too

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Treadway: 4:52pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:
it is more due to the tightened immigration policies than the exchange rate. The majority were borrowing to travel, so exchange rate wouldn't have mattered if the rules didn't change. Over 80% of japa geng headed to the UK for one prime reason, it was very easy to do so, compared to the rigors of maxing out IELTS and still learning and acing French to be able to get into Canny for example, just to qualify ooo, aside all the money you will also spend.

Unfortunately, the UK has given japa geng sliding tackles since this year and that my friend is why everywhere quiet. I read here yesterday that a ton of Nigerians are now claiming asylum from the UK to enter Ireland, sotey that one sef don cast, expectedly and understandably so. How do you claim asylum from the UK ffs?🤦

127 Likes 19 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Bongadu: 4:57pm On Apr 26
Na mumu day japa

Everything good in naija

92 Likes 15 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:00pm On Apr 26
Treadway:
it is more due to the tightened immigration policies than the exchange rate. The majority were borrowing to travel, so exchange rate wouldn't have mattered if the rules didn't change. Over 80% of japa geng headed to the UK for one prime reason, i was very easy to do so, compared to the rigors of maxing out IELTS and still learning and acing French to be able to get into Canny for example, just to qualify ooo, aside all the money you will also spend.

Unfortunately, the UK has given japa geng sliding tackles since this year and that my friend is why everywhere quiet. I read here yesterday that a ton of Nigerians are now claiming asylum from the UK to enter Ireland, sotey that one sef don cast, expectedly and understandably so. How do you claim asylum from the UK ffs?🤦

UK is just an overrated country. Aside the presence of electricity I dont even see the difference between Nigeria and the UK. I have friends in the UK with the same experience level as I am and they cant even get a job interview despite being there for more than a year o. They will be saying UK experience. As if the javascript written in the UK is different from the one written in Nigeria. Canada is a much better place but an extremely difficult place to survive if you arent well loaded. Australia has made great changes to its post study scheme. I am so glad I followed an uncommon route and I like it so far.

236 Likes 26 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Treadway: 5:13pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

UK is just an overrated country. Aside the presence of electricity I dont even see the difference between Nigeria and the UK. I have friends in the UK with the same experience level as I am and they cant even get a job interview despite being there for more than a year o. They will be saying UK experience. As if the javascript written in the UK is different from the one written in Nigeria. Canada is a much better place but an extremely difficult place to survive if you arent well loaded. Australia has made great changes to its post study scheme. I am so glad I followed an uncommon route and I like it so far.
lol🤣🤣 at the bolded

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Bankowner: 5:19pm On Apr 26
anamo:
Who else notice that the japa noise has reduced these days? Or people no longer japa again ? Before, anywhere you go on twitter you’ll see things like “I don’t get these things, I just talk to a man who sold his 5 duplexes and 500 cars and 6 businesses in Nigeria to relocate to UK permanently “ “new dispensation”

Your second guess is your answer. Nigerians are hiding japa and you can't blame them.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by ednut1(m): 5:21pm On Apr 26
Exchange rate and immigration rules in the choice countries got tougher.

151 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by papyjaypaul: 5:25pm On Apr 26
This is what happened lipsrsealed

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by papyjaypaul: 5:29pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

I have friends in the UK with the same experience level as I am and they cant even get a job interview despite being there for more than a year o. They will be saying UK experience. As if the javascript written in the UK is different from the one written in Nigeria.

Let's be honest. If you bring a British, American or Canadian here, no matter how brilliant and well connected they are, until they come here and experience Nigeria, they still don't have Nigerian experience. It is what it is.

18 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by papyjaypaul: 5:41pm On Apr 26
People will travel tomorrow. People are traveling today. Even though security, economy and politics is not what people like, people have always been traveling and it will not stop. What fueled the japa sensation was Google searches. Japa was one of the most searched words in 2020 and people started talking about it. Now that tech companies pay users for content, people started posting on the topic. Also, it takes time for Nigerians to get post nut clarity in their new land, so they can keep talking until they learn the rules of the new place they call home. You know Nigerians like bullying, oppression and status show off, some of them were doing it for that. some were doing it for content as they have to pay bills.

When they integrate into their new land they may even delete the posts or change their names to be born again. Nigerians are social people so we like to talk to each other. Unfortunately most of the countries they japa to are not that friendly and they hide their identities online cause them no want trouble. Let's be thankful for social media, it is the connection holding some of their senses together in a new country. The people that travelled in the 70s-90s lost connection to home and some of them even changed their phone numbers to disconnect. Thank you NITEL and NIPOST angry

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 6:04pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

UK has tightened their immigration policies with recent salary threshold of £38700 and care COS restriction.

KPMG has even made it clear they won't hire overseas workers again. That's the resultant effect. The govt wants to push Brits especially people on benefits back to workforce. Apprenticeship especially where there's massive shortages is being supported.

That's the challenge we migrants are facing now and migrants that came especially last year is too high. So demand has significantly increased for declining opportunities (supply).

All these don't mean "apart from electricity, UK is the same as Nigeria". A single night shift here is what professional earn as monthly salary back in Nigeria (with over 50% inflation). Stop capping please.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/kpmg-cancels-job-offers-to-foreign-graduates/#:~:text=KPMG%20has%20stopped%20hiring%20overseas,an%20exception%20to%20this%2C%20however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-to-announce-major-reform-package-to-boost-apprenticeships-and-cut-red-tape-for-thousands-of-small-businesses#:~:text=The%20Government%20will%20fully%20fund,to%20kick%20start%20their%20careers.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:18pm On Apr 26
lastkingsman:

UK has tightened their immigration policies with recent salary threshold of £38700 and care COS restriction.

KPMG has even made it clear they won't hire overseas workers again. That's the resultant effect. The govt wants to push Brits especially people on benefits back to workforce. Apprenticeship especially where there's massive shortages is being supported.

That's the challenge we migrants are facing now and migrants that came especially last year is too high. So demand has significantly increased for declining opportunities (supply).

All these don't mean "apart from electricity, UK is the same as Nigeria". A single night shift here is what professional earn as monthly salary back in Nigeria (with over 50% inflation). Stop capping please.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/kpmg-cancels-job-offers-to-foreign-graduates/#:~:text=KPMG%20has%20stopped%20hiring%20overseas,an%20exception%20to%20this%2C%20however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prime-minister-to-announce-major-reform-package-to-boost-apprenticeships-and-cut-red-tape-for-thousands-of-small-businesses#:~:text=The%20Government%20will%20fully%20fund,to%20kick%20start%20their%20careers.

Yeah but people are complaining they aren't even getting the jobs so what's the essence of a night shift earning more than in Nigeria if the job no dey.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 6:41pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah but people are complaining they aren't even getting the jobs so what's the essence of a night shift earning more than in Nigeria if the job no dey.

Yes, I pointed out the "job no dey wahala" with demand and supply of labour situation right now, even Canada is in similar situation because migrants came in en mass.

People on sponsorship/dependent visa are not complaining.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:54pm On Apr 26
lastkingsman:

Yes, I pointed out the "job no dey wahala" with demand and supply of labour situation right now, even Canada is in similar situation because migrants came in en mass.

People on sponsorship/dependent visa are not complaining.

Honestly I can never advise a married man to migrate from Nigeria Sha grin. I am just glad I did the whole thing when I am single. If I was married with kids I don't even know how I will cope.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 8:31pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,

Based on everything that happened when we left, the only place I can think of moving to would be the US as it is unarguably the best place for a skilled black professional to thrive. Initially, it was tough and odd due to distance and language differences, but upon settling down and learning the language, it has been good. Most importantly, the immigration policies have been consistent. Right from when I researched Japan's immigration policies in 2017, they have been consistent and even further liberalised. Inconsistency and changing the goalpost are things I dislike in life.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by lastkingsman: 8:34pm On Apr 26
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly I can never advise a married man to migrate from Nigeria Sha grin. I am just glad I did the whole thing when I am single. If I was married with kids I don't even know how I will cope.

Lol.. UK used to be smooth for married partner.

You pay cheaper rent, form A dey for you and partner could work full time. Not anymore

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 8:38pm On Apr 26
lastkingsman:

That's the challenge we migrants are facing now and migrants that came especially last year is too high. So demand has significantly he%20Government%20will%20fully%20fund,to%20kick%20start%20their%20careers.

Meanwhile, over here, I keep getting notifications saying Accenture dey recruit. Know the language, and there are no restrictions whatsoever.

Sha, people should remain there.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:46pm On Apr 26
Gerrard59:

Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,

Based on everything that happened when we left, the only place I can think of moving to would be the US as it is unarguably the best place for a skilled black professional to thrive. Initially, it was tough and odd due to distance and language differences, but upon settling down and learning the language, it has been good. Most importantly, the immigration policies have been consistent. Right from when I researched Japan's immigration policies in 2017, they have been consistent and even further liberalised. Inconsistency and changing the goalpost are things I dislike in life.

The same thing here. I am glad I can get my permanent residency this year and I don't have to wait. Imagine people going to study and seeking asylum. Like what's the point. They will just be in limbo and years are passing by o and they will definitely reject the asylum claims and deport them.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:48pm On Apr 26
Gerrard59:

Meanwhile, over here, I keep getting notifications saying Accenture dey recruit. Know the language, and there are no restrictions whatsoever.

Sha, people should remain there.

Bros Deloitte sef cancel my own offer cause I won't be able to commit fully and their main OGA dey ask when I go finish lol.

10 Likes

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by franchasofficia: 8:51pm On Apr 26
anamo:
Who else notice that the japa noise has reduced these days? Or people no longer japa again ? Before, anywhere you go on twitter you’ll see things like “I don’t get these things, I just talk to a man who sold his 5 duplexes and 500 cars and 6 businesses in Nigeria to relocate to UK permanently “ “new dispensation”

UK has adjusted their immigration policy and made it unattractive to most Nigerian Japarians.

Canada did same.

US has been a no go area since Trump's regime.

Germany is now delaying visa appointments, same with most other European countries.

When you join these points with high inflation making naira to lose its value, tell me how else you expect average Nigerians to japa?

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by pansophist(m): 9:12pm On Apr 26
Those that have money are doing it codely.

I have about five people in my hands that I am processing japa for through the student route. They don't make noise, because silence is security.

Japa happens, all the time. People leave the airport every day, they just choose not to make noise.

86 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by flokii: 9:13pm On Apr 26
The grass is no more greener on the other side.. the ones already ho0ked over there are telling the intending 'runaways' to abort mission.

Africa is my home..

I'm black and proud..

No place like Nigeria, no place like home.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Gerrard59(m): 9:29pm On Apr 26
franchasofficia:
UK has adjusted their immigration policy and made it unattractive to most Nigerian Japarians.

Canada did same.

US has been a no go area since Trump's regime.

Germany is now delaying visa appointments, same with most other European countries.

When you join these points with high inflation making naira to lose its value, tell me how else you expect average Nigerians to japa?

The US has always been tough to migrate to legally and establish a stable residency. Even other white folks find it hard to emigrate to the US legally. The economic downturn has exacerbated things. H1B quotas have not been increased, and other legal routes take so much time due to clogs within the system.

The world is going to be more competitive as time goes on. Make people know how dem dey fvck o.

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Goodman247: 10:09pm On Apr 26
Aoroka wetin concern you, always looking for wetin no dey find them, mischievous Nigerian

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Doylestown92(m): 10:42pm On Apr 26
anamo:

Immigration policies changes over time. Take The UK for example, they currently have restricted immigration. They have their own challenges.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by chnnmfl(m): 11:04pm On Apr 26
Another major reason is that the awareness on the true realities on the ground abroad is spreading.

A lot of Nigerians believed that once they go abroad, they have made it in life. It's an utopian wonderland to many uninformed Nigerians.

I know how many anti-japa threads I have created here that made it to FP since 2020 and even on Twitter in a bid to educate the uninformed.

The thing is that people are begining to be aware of what is obtainable on the ground there and the delusion is weighing down.

41 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by ekanDamie: 12:02am On Apr 27
Bongadu:
Na mumu day japa

Everything good in naija
Japa is not easy, but shut up, u don't have the money

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Cassandraloius: 12:52am On Apr 27
Everywhere hard.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s Happening To The Japa Wave In Nigeria?? by Basic(m): 1:46am On Apr 27
tensazangetsu20:

He didn't even add that a month's rent over there can be more than a professional's 1-year rent here.

46 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Abuja, Ibadan, Port-Harcourt Make Euromonitor Top 10 Fast Growing African Cities / Mecca, Washington DC And Some No-fly Zones In The World. / Tipper Crushes Father Of 30 Children To Death In Kogi (Graphic)

Viewing this topic: Zammy123(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.