Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,188 members, 7,829,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? (24672 Views)

Wole Soyinka Government High School / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Wole Soyinka’s Daughter Who’s A Professor Storms Covenant University (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Diligence: 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
Doesn't soyinka have case of bribery and corruption to answer for the period he headed FRSC?
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by maclatunji: 12:30pm On Nov 21, 2011
How old(mature) is the creator of the thread? I love Achebe's work above any other African Author that I can say. As for global coverage, Soyinka might edge it I think because he is more of a maverick. This thread is all part of the IGBO VS YORUBA (Pseudo-contest) some of you guys are running around here #Verychildish!

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by lagcity(m): 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2011
Achebe definitely has more global coverage. Now, what conclusion can we draw from this? undecided undecided Nothing really.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by olawalebabs(m): 12:38pm On Nov 21, 2011
What i'll say is this, the west is not our friend. So, if they appreciate or refers a man, that does not make him a super man. The two men have paid their dues in their respective and little way, Among the two, when it matters most to confront the monster called 'Leadership', we know who normally yield the call

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by odomanis: 12:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
OF WHAT IMPORT IS THIS POST?
WHAT DOES THE POSTER INTEND TO ACHIEVE?
AND PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY STARTED FALLING TO IT.
TOO BAD !

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by shadrach77: 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
by virtue of his nobel laurete, soyinka is a more accomplished and a more recognised writer

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by airmark(m): 1:16pm On Nov 21, 2011
afam4eva:

You don't need a soothsayer to tell you before you know that Chinua Achebe is the most respected Nigerian throught the world.

You can now go back to your cage.

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 21, 2011
Diligence:

who is soyinka? an ex convict? where are his children, or is it the nobel whateva that was given to the wrong candidate - the world knows that soyinka getting that prize is nothing but robbing peter to pay paul.

pls stop insultg authorities, as far as literary world is concerned, soyinka is a nobody; achebe has it all!
Wetin person no go hear from idiiots on NL.how did they rob achebe to pay soyinka ? If your ichebe had deserved that award since all these years,he would have got by now.soyinka worked hard to earned the award so tell your lazy ichebe to work harder maybe he might get his before he dies.btw,what has he done for Nigeria beside writing things fall apart ?
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by maclatunji: 2:15pm On Nov 21, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Wetin person no go hear from idiiots on NL.how did they rob achebe to pay soyinka ? If your ichebe had deserved that award since all these years,he would have got by now.soyinka worked hard to earned the award so tell your lazy ichebe to work harder maybe he might get his before he dies.btw,what has he done for Nigeria beside writing things fall apart ?

I will have to disagree with you. Chinua Achebe should have won the Nobel Prize for Literature by now. Why he hasn't beats me.

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 21, 2011
During my secondary school days I never bothered to read these people's works even though they were recommended; but I'd give it to Wole Soyinka for being awarded a Nobel prize whatever - it classes him amongst world class writers - Achebe is an achiever in his own right too and secondly Soyinka baba na Ahoy! LOlx! Cap n Blood to sure!

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by redsquare(m): 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Diligence:

who is soyinka? an ex convict? where are his children, or is it the nobel whateva that was given to the wrong candidate - the world knows that soyinka getting that prize is nothing but robbing peter to pay paul.

pls stop insultg authorities, as far as literary world is concerned, soyinka is a nobody; achebe has it all!

It's very unfortunate that tribalism has beclouded some peoples sense of reasoning. Why insult 2 respected gentlemen when none of you is known outside his village. None of you can achieve one-tenth of what these 2 great men achieved in your entire miserable lives. F.O.O.L.S.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
Areosapien:

LMAO! Your 'office'? Yeah, by 'office', I'm sure you're refering to your mom's cold, murky basement, where you sit your bony asss in front of Nairaland to strike the keyboard with your leprous fingers.
I bet you didn't see it coming that I'd expose you and your shameless IDs, you hopeless idle wretch.
And how can you be lying about having a job at Udoka when you can't even pass WAEC? Who do you think you're fooling?

So I'll give you one last warning, my hopelessly dull 'tribesman' - If you don't want your arse getting exposed on the internet again, then you best learn how to clean up on your act.

Smell you later, alligator.

You are merely seeking for attention and I won't be the one to bring you out of your caves. NL has given your likes jobless scammers the opportunity to troll the walls of internet space. I bet you, you are not above the people I feed on daily basis.

The number of times you have mentioned WAEC showed that you are still in secondary school. I pity the parents that gave birth to you because as I write this piece they must have given up on you as wasted child who has kept bringing bad name to your poor family.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2011
Areosapien:

LMAO! Your 'office'? Yeah, by 'office', I'm sure you're refering to your mom's cold, murky basement, where you sit your bony asss in front of Nairaland to strike the keyboard with your leprous fingers.
I bet you didn't see it coming that I'd expose you and your shameless IDs, you hopeless idle wretch.
And how can you be lying about having a job at Udoka when you can't even pass WAEC? Who do you think you're fooling?

So I'll give you one last warning, my hopelessly dull 'tribesman' - If you don't want your arse getting exposed on the internet again, then you best learn how to clean up on your act.

You are merely seeking for attention and I won't be the one to bring you out of your caves. NL has given your likes jobless scammers the opportunity to troll the walls of internet space. I bet you, you are not above the people I feed on daily basis.

The number of times you have mentioned WAEC showed that you are still in secondary school. I pity the parents that gave birth to you because as I write this piece they must have given up on you as wasted child who has kept bringing bad name to your poor family. I have dedicated to help you jobless fool but you seems to be an idiot. This is my last response and recognition to a monster like you. Goodbye owerri LovePeddler
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 3:07pm On Nov 21, 2011
Areosapien:

The number of times you have mentioned WAEC showed that you are still in secondary school. I pity the parents that gave birth to you because as I write this piece they must have given up on you as wasted child who has kept bringing bad name to your poor family. I have dedicated to help you jobless fool but you seems to be an idiot. This is my last response and recognition to a monster like you. Goodbye owerri LovePeddler

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Diligence: 3:31pm On Nov 21, 2011
Doesn't soyinka have case of bribery and corruption to answer for the period he headed FRSC?
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 3:36pm On Nov 21, 2011
^^

There must be, if we dig a little bit. Another big question, what about Soyinka's children? As we can see Achebe's children are all professors from the top to the very last.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Dele99: 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2011
swintiney:

I see 90% of Nigeria's problem reflecting here, we abandon the critical issues for irrelevant things.
We don't have to always compare them in order to prove their worth! We can learn from their lives and become
better first as an individual, then as a nation!

These are the two most excellent Nigerians of all times with their various aspects of global influence.
I am proud to be a Nigerian because of them.

To the initiator of this topic, would you say you did not know you were about causing something silly
knowing that Nigerians are likely to tilt towards tribalism? What do you expect, that soonest we will start bad
mouthing each other with the Ibos calling the Yorubas names and vice versa.

I have  carefully X-rayed the duo, they had same educational foundation (of those old good days when
our education was well valued over those of the UK & US) from the same university around the same period,
what this should remind any agent of change is that we need an educational revolution back to the prestige of
those good old days.

How many Nigerians can speak good english like the duo today? Do we say minority or majority?
How many Nigerians have their level of integrity?
What value will comparing them add to our present situaton?
How do we tackle corruption without being selfish or tribal?
How do we salvage this country from this great political and economic tribulation melted on us by our politicians?
Do you have power to run your business?
Is your certificate fully accepted even in your country?
Does your vote count?
Have you actually had a balanced meal this morning?
Can your parents enjoy their old age without your input?
How many bills passed by the senate touched your life since 1999?
What percentage of Nigeria's budget touched your life since 1999?
Can you prevent a terrorist plane from crashing into your country's defence H/Q or Aso rock
like the Americans did for Pentagon?
How many Nigerians are poets?
How many Nigerians are even writers?
Who are you today and what are you hoping to become tommorrow?

Instead of allowing these rare gems (Soyinka & Achebe) divide us, why not use them as yardstick to measure
our national deviation.

I expect us to weep for our country and refuse evil leaders whos worth could only be reconciled
to corruption. They pretend loving Nigeria and therefore would die for political offices whereas in real terms
they are after money and political influence.

I see Nairaland as a forum of national unity and will be proud of a new Nigeria initiating its course
through this forum. Let's be Nigerians for the sake of Nigeria. Let's not propagate the silent fact; that
the only reason why Nigeria has not splitted is not that we love each other as ethnic nationalities but that
corruption has formed a vehicle for our leaders to understand themselves and bind us together through it.

I love Nigeria, i love Nairaland!

[b][/b]
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Dele99: 3:58pm On Nov 21, 2011
[b]
swintiney:

I see 90% of Nigeria's problem reflecting here, we abandon the critical issues for irrelevant things.
We don't have to always compare them in order to prove their worth! We can learn from their lives and become

These are the two most excellent Nigerians of all times with their various aspects of global influence.

To the initiator of this topic, would you say you did not know you were about causing something silly
knowing that Nigerians are likely to tilt towards tribalism? What do you expect, that soonest we will start bad

I have carefully X-rayed the duo, they had same educational foundation (of those old good days when
our education was well valued over those of the UK & US) from the same university around the same period,
what this should remind any agent of change is that we need an educational revolution back to the prestige of
those good old days.

How many Nigerians can speak good english like the duo today? Do we say minority or majority?
How do we salvage this country from this great political and economic tribulation melted on us by our politicians?
Does your vote count?
Can you prevent a terrorist plane from crashing into your country's defence H/Q or Aso rock

Instead of allowing these rare gems (Soyinka & Achebe) divide us, why not use them as yardstick to measure
our national deviation.

I expect us to weep for our country and refuse evil leaders whos worth could only be reconciled
to corruption. They pretend loving Nigeria and therefore would die for political offices whereas in real terms

I see Nairaland as a forum of national unity and will be proud of a new Nigeria initiating its course
through this forum. Let's be Nigerians for the sake of Nigeria. Let's not propagate the silent fact; that
the only reason why Nigeria has not splitted is not that we love each other as ethnic nationalities but that
corruption has formed a vehicle for our leaders to understand themselves and bind us together through it.

[/b]

The only sensible quote on this thread.Nigeria will never move forward if nairaland gives a sample of how the average nigerian thinks.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by sylve11: 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
funny peeps grin grin grin cool are they not two great men? cool
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2011

The number of times you have mentioned WAEC showed that you are still in secondary school. I pity the parents that gave birth to you because as I write this piece they must have given up on you as wasted child who has kept bringing bad name to your poor family. I have dedicated to help you jobless fool but you seems to be an . This is my last response and recognition to a monster like you. Goodbye owerri LovePeddler

Yessss! cool grin And unknown to you, you've only fallen into my trap of exposing you for the semi-literate gutter-sucking swine of a bigot you are; because it is only a glorified underachieving illiterate of your ilk that would be shockingly stuupid enough to harbor hatred for your fellow Igbos, badly enough to judge them along State lines. I mean, have you no shame?
As for your dull swipe about offering me a job, naaaah! I think I should be the one advising you to go pick up a job so as not to rot away in abject poverty like you're destined to. It is, however, unfortunate that your options will be extremely limited, as no-one would want to hire an all-round dunce like you; so you might want to settle into the role of a road-side vulcanizer, as that is the only job you're suited for.
And if you're still questioning my assertion on the fact that nothing more than a WAEC-level student, well, that's no fault of mine, as this fact is deep-rooted in your pathetically juvenile posts which expose you to be nothing more than a bloated overgrown slob with the IQ of a prepubescent child.
So, yes, your stupiidity is your birthright. Nothing more, nothing less
grin
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by samstradam: 6:04pm On Nov 21, 2011
A funny thing about this thread is that the idiot and the bigots who started it have failed to demonstrate that they have ever read 2 works of Achebe let alone 2 of Uncle Wole ( who has numerous 5 min poems) for them to compare and contrast both juggernauts in a civilised intelligible manner. Maybe then they would have understood why one has a nobel and the other's seminal work is loved by so many.

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 21, 2011
Global coverage goes to Chinua Achebe. Some of my Ghanaian friends do not know Wole Soyinka, like they've never heard of him but they know Achebe and have read his books. Achebe is a Professor at Brown University which further adds to his popularity.

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by samstradam: 6:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
And also for those who don't get it- Uncle Wole has a nobel because accomplished western writers admire his witty writting style and his body of work. While Achebe is far more read because young western literate kids and readers love his work and find something to identify with. Note that work is among the best selling not because of sales in Africa, let alone Nigeria, but because young white and coloured people in the west love it and spend money on it. As a lover of African literature, and a lover of Achebe especially (i'd take 'arrow of God' over most books to any deserted island), the impact of his works in nigeria are quite minimal to non-existent, and thus it seems he will probablly be remembered by mainly strangers- thus the Mandela comparison is absolute nonsense.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by AndreUweh(m): 7:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
I do not like this thread because both Achebe and Soyinka are famous writers. Because of my love for Soyinka's plays, I went to a theatre last year in London to watch one of his plays, to my greatest surprice, the theatre was virtually empty.
Then, in conferences meant for Achebe's works in London, it is always a sale out.
Despite the fact that Achebe is more globally celebrated, I and Soyinka has a lot in common.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 7:23pm On Nov 21, 2011
^^
GBAM grin grin grin grin
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2011
Areosapien:

Yessss! cool grin And unknown to you, you've only fallen into my trap of exposing you for the semi-literate gutter-sucking swine of a bigot you are; because it is only a glorified underachieving illiterate of your ilk that would be shockingly stuupid enough to harbor hatred for your fellow Igbos, badly enough to judge them along State lines. I mean, have you no shame?
As for your dull swipe about offering me a job, naaaah! I think I should be the one advising you to go pick up a job so as not to rot away in abject poverty like you're destined to. It is, however, unfortunate that your options will be extremely limited, as no-one would want to hire an all-round dunce like you; so you might want to settle into the role of a road-side vulcanizer, as that is the only job you're suited for.
And if you're still questioning my assertion on the fact that nothing more than a WAEC-level student, well, that's no fault of mine, as this fact is deep-rooted in your pathetically juvenile posts which expose you to be nothing more than a bloated overgrown slob with the IQ of a prepubescent child.
So, yes, your stupiidity is your birthright. Nothing more, nothing less
grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin And we are talking about almajiris up north, not knowing that we have Igbo almajiris. I left my office and got home you are still sitting in a cafe punching your life out of your fingers. I pity you and your poverty stricken family, as a fellow Igboman I can offer to rehabilitate you. Or why not join the Amnesty program of FG instead wasting away in your fathers house. I bet you are jobless and needs help, come out clean so that you will attract one.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by TRUTHTELA: 8:08pm On Nov 21, 2011
I CREATED THIS THREAD NOT BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW OF ACHEBE & SOYINKA'S GREATNESS. BUT, BECAUSE I WANT THOSE ETHNIC BIGOTS TO SHOW THEIR INGORANCE THE MORE & THEY ALL DID,EXCEPT FOR "swintiney" & HE OR SHE CAPTURED MY MIND. I AM NEW HERE & WAS SO DISAPPOINTED @ THE LEVEL OF IGNORANCE, BIAS, & TRIBALISM THAT OVERSHADOW EVERY TOPIC HERE. I CHOSE TO GIVE THEM MORE REASON TO FOOL THEMSELVES. NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOUNG PEOPLE REFUSE TO KEEP TRIBE & RELIGION ASIDE & RECLAIM THEIR COUNTRY. LITTLE DID THEY KNOW THAT tribalism HAS HELPED YOUR CORRUPT LEADERS TO FLOURISH & LOOT WITH IMPUNITY. YOUTH IN ARAB NATIONS USED FORUMS LIKE THIS TO CHASE AWAY BAD RULERS,BUT NIGERIANS ARE USING THEIRS TO STOKE THE FLAME OF TRIBALISM. HOW IN THIS WORLD CAN ANY SANE PERSON LIVING IN THAT JUNGLE (NIGERIA) WITHOUT BASIC THINGS OF LIFE THINK OR BE BOASTING OF HOW better HIS TRIBE IS? I WEEP FOR THEE!
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by TRUTHTELA: 8:12pm On Nov 21, 2011
Dele99:

[b]
YOU MADE MY DAY! PLS KEEP IN TOUCH, KINDRED SPIRIT
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by TRUTHTELA: 8:16pm On Nov 21, 2011

I have carefully X-rayed the duo, they had same educational foundation (of those old good days when
those good old days.

Does your vote count?

our national deviation.

^^^^^^
WHOEVER U ARE, YOU EARNED MY RESPECT. KINDRED SPIRIT.PLS KEEP IN TOUCH
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 9:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
And we are talking about
almajiris up north, not knowing
that we have Igbo almajiris
. I left
my office and got home you are
still sitting in a cafe punching
your life out of your fingers. I
pity you and your poverty
stricken family, as a fellow
Igboman I can offer to
rehabilitate you. Or why not join
the Amnesty program of FG
instead wasting away in your
fathers house. I bet you are
jobless and needs help, come
out clean so that you will attract
one.

Same way we're talking about miserable stark illiterates like Chris Uba, not knowing we have the impoverished bottom-feeding version aimlessly lurking around the internet to peddle his numerous futile lies no-one wants to buy. I can see why you feel I'm in a cybercafe, cuz that's the only medium of computer access that populates your backward home. But just to indulge you irredeemable idiocy, I'm actually using a mobile phone, which means I can post from wherever I want while still engaging in my numerous daily affairs. Too bad we can't say the same for an idle rural swine like yourself who only comes on the net to pour out the frustrations surrounding his moribund failure of a life, as well as his broken dreams. And you just told another shameless lie about coming home from work. Exactly what work would that be? Hawking bananas? I can, however, wear a proud smile that inconsequential nonentities like yourself are in the minority of the social ladder. And that just brightens up my day.
grin

1 Like

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 9:44pm On Nov 21, 2011
^^

grin grin grin grin Jobless fellow, you are so angry with your life that you can't bear my perception of you and your people. Too bad a your ogogoro and go to bed. With the way you are being drained with bitterness tonight I wish you don't commit suicide due to frustration and denial. grin grin grin grin grin. You are too young to die bro.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
^^

grin grin grin grin Jobless fellow, you are so angry with your life that you can't bear my perception of you and your people. Well your people are cheap and mere good for bed, just like we dey screw them up here with the trick 'mama anyi si'. We don't want imo LovePeddler as wives. Too bad take your 'ogogoro' and go to bed. With the way you are being drained with bitterness tonight I wish you don't commit suicide due to frustration and denial. grin grin grin grin grin. You are too young to die bro. 2nd class Igbos. Sorry bro but its the fact, do your research.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mmesoma: I Support Sanctions Imposed By JAMB – Ezekwesili / Sylvester Oromoni: Lagos Government Clears 5 Dowen College Students, Staff / Lagos Orders Reintroduction Of History Into School Curriculum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.