Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,977 members, 7,828,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? (24664 Views)

Wole Soyinka Government High School / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Wole Soyinka’s Daughter Who’s A Professor Storms Covenant University (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by AndreUweh(m): 10:07pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Chino and Areosapien
Biko, biko, biko ejim aha Chineke na ayo unu abuo ka unu kwusi esemuokwu ebea. Unu abuo bu odenigbo anyi ji eme onu. Biko ozuole nu. Mata kwa nu na ndi iro anyi gbara anyi gburugbu ngaa. Biko unu mesie ha ike , unu egbule ndi nke anyi . Unu bu nwanne, biko ka udo diri na etiti unu abuo. Onye nwe anyi gozie unu.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by moshoodn(m): 10:37pm On Nov 21, 2011
Thread should be locked.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 11:43pm On Nov 21, 2011
^^
Jobless fellow, you are so angry
with your life that you can't bear
my perception of you and your
people. Well[b] your people are
cheap and mere good for bed[/b],
just like we dey screw them up
here with the trick 'mama anyi
si'. We don't want imo LovePeddler as
wives
. Too bad take your
'ogogoro' and go to bed. With
the way you are being drained
with bitterness tonight I wish you
don't commit suicide due to
frustration and denial. . You are
too young to die bro. 2nd class
Igbos. Sorry bro but its the fact,
do your research

LMFAO! I dey laugh ooo! grin Hold on, am I supposed to feel offended about this your childish attempt at an insult? I bet you still haven't even realized how stupiid you look with this one. And guess what? I just called my Nnewi-born friends into the room to join me in reading your wack comments, and you won't realize how hard they've been laughing at your skull-shattering idiocy! grin Ewuuooo! I hate to break it to you pal, but the joke is actually on you. I mean, who doesn't know Imo is the richest state in the South-East, followed by Abia? grin
Who doesn't know Imo has the literacy rate in Nigeria? It's all over the net, Mr Man, and these are real figures. So it is you who needs to kick the dust off your lazy buttt, crack open a research book, and exercise your dull brain grin

And as for your other juvenile wretched comment about knacking girls and all that crap? I won't even dignify that with a rebuttal, because the statement itself only stands to testify and underscore your crude stupiidity grin
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 11:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
And in keeping true to my troublesome internet persona, I'm going to go a step further in exposing this Chino animal for the clueless little child he is grin

Oh, Chino, are you so quick to forget the events of July 06 2011, when Ezeagu, EzeUche and Abagworo took turns humiliating you to the full glare of NairaLand? grin
When you were left helpless and torn to shreds on this thread?
nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-336779.320.html
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 12:04am On Nov 22, 2011
Remember this image, Chino? grin
[img]http://2.bp..com/_qtIq0s7ABjU/SZFWj1qzCMI/AAAAAAAACXU/txBZ03_W-ZY/s700/IMG_0921.JPG[/img]

grin Chei! Mehn, if this is what it takes to be a '1st Class Igbo' like this Chino swine, then I think I'll gladly pass. grin
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by mykhel995: 12:19am On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

I do not like this thread because both Achebe and Soyinka are famous writers. Because of my love for Soyinka's plays, I went to a theatre last year in London to watch one of his plays, to my greatest surprice, the theatre was virtually empty.
Then, in conferences meant for Achebe's works in London, it is always a sale out.
Despite the fact that Achebe is more globally celebrated, I and Soyinka has a lot in common.
no you don't. Wole Soyinka speaks impeccable english. you do not "have" anything in common with him.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by mykhel995: 12:44am On Nov 22, 2011
I will try to be as objective as possible. I am 16 years old. I read things fall apart in primary school (when i was 8 or 9) and i loved it. The style of writing was easy to understand. the progression of the book was fluid. It was the best book i had read at the time. Around the same time, i dabbled into Wole Soyinka's works. I was stumped. i couldn't read his books. they were clearly beyond my level. If I had been asked who was a better author then I would say, without hesitation, Chinua Achebe. Now, i feel like i deprived myself by not reading the Soyinka books then. I search rabidly for them now that i can grasp the message behind his writing.
Today, on the other hand, i would have to think deeply. It is very difficult to compare people with varying writing styles to each other. Chinua Achebe is an easy read. Wole Soyinka is more tasking to read. To read a Soyinka book, you have to make a conscious decision to "go in". You can't just delve into it and expect to not get burned.
So to me, Wole Soyinka is a better writer(as much as i admire Achebe i don't think he deserves a nobel prize based purely on his writing and ignoring sales), but Achebe is slightly more popular.
Also to the people on the thread who say Soyinka has a nobel laureate, is he a kidnapper?
The awards are nobel[b] laurels[/b]. He has a nobel laurel.
He is a nobel laureate.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Jenifa1: 12:59am On Nov 22, 2011
Achebe is more popular because of his book "Things fall apart." This book has broad appeal. mostly because it's simplistic like poster above me said.
Soyinka on the other hand specializes in drama and poetry. He speaks on different topics from nigerian politics to apartheid etc. His audience is narrower, understandably. but his works are, to me,way more sophisticated.

Andre Uweh:

I do not like this thread because both Achebe and Soyinka are famous writers. Because of my love for Soyinka's plays, I went to a theatre last year in London to watch one of his plays, to my greatest surprice, the theatre was virtually empty.
Then, in conferences meant for Achebe's works in London, it is always a sale out.
Despite the fact that Achebe is more globally celebrated, I and Soyinka has a lot in common.

that's too bad.
I prefer Soyinka too.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by AndreUweh(m): 1:26am On Nov 22, 2011
Jenifa_:

Achebe is more popular because of his book "Things fall apart." This book has broad appeal. mostly because it's simplistic like poster above me said.
Soyinka on the other hand specializes in drama and poetry. He speaks on different topics from nigerian politics to apartheid etc. His audience is narrower, understandably. but his works are, to me,way more sophisticated.

that's too bad.
I prefer Soyinka too.
What is too bad?. Do you mean the empty seats at the London theatre?.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by AndreUweh(m): 1:30am On Nov 22, 2011
Areosapien:

Remember this image, Chino? grin
[img]http://2.bp..com/_qtIq0s7ABjU/SZFWj1qzCMI/AAAAAAAACXU/txBZ03_W-ZY/s700/IMG_0921.JPG[/img]

grin Chei! Mehn, if this is what it takes to be a '1st Class Igbo' like this Chino swine, then I think I'll gladly pass. grin
Bia this naughty boy, it seems my appeal did not get to you. Please concentrate on the this thread or start another thread to sort out what is eating you deep. Is there any other way to display stupidity than what you are doing here. Biko, kwanyere onwe gi ugwu nwokem.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Jenifa1: 2:22am On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

What is too bad?. Do you mean the empty seats at the London theatre?.

yea
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 7:26am On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Bia this naughty boy, it seems my appeal did not get to you. Please concentrate on the this thread or start another thread to sort out what is eating you deep. Is there any other way to display stupidity than what you are doing here. Biko, kwanyere onwe gi ugwu nwokem.

Nwannem biko tell the born boy. grin grin grin grin grin. I almost jump out of my skin at his rage. The truth is better than bitterleaf. Dalu kwanu. IGBO BU IGBO. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chino11(m): 7:31am On Nov 22, 2011
First class igbos home of : Great Zik of Africa,Chinua Achebe,Chike Obi and many more.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 8:07am On Nov 22, 2011
chino11:

Nwannem biko tell the born boy. grin grin grin grin grin. I almost jump out of my skin at his rage. The truth is better than bitterleaf. Dalu kwanu. IGBO BU IGBO. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin Ewuuuooo! Now wey you don suddenly repent, after you don recieve severe dose of your own medicine? All the way from 'Imo people are this and that' to 'Igbo bu Igbo'? Chaaai! LMFAO! Tell me, are you not a loser?

I guess you thought you were good at insulting people, not knowing you're just a mere hairless pig afterall grin grin
I think I'm done engaging spineless losers like you, can't through shiit to save their lives grin
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Areosapien(f): 8:19am On Nov 22, 2011
Andre Uweh:

And who be this stray camel hypocrite wey dey preach Jack-Timothy to me? If you've lost fragments of your grey matter, I suggest you retrace your steps and go pick them up. And for your information, Ban Ki Moon, O bu kwesiri i kpachara onwe gi ugwu, maka na afughi'm otu ifea siri gbasa gi. So, do me a favor: Take this lopsided goodwill sermon of yours, and shove it right up your royal asss.

Thank you.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by cooltobex(m): 10:47am On Nov 22, 2011
Well dis z thought-provoking,both men r literary giants, no doubt,buh chinua achebe haz more global affluence.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by chic2pimp(m): 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2011
Jenifa_:

that's too bad.
I prefer Soyinka too.
You actually took what he wrote seriously grin grin
Ask him to describe what the outside of a theatre looks like let alone the inside. Dude has never been anywhere near a theatre in his existence.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Kanto: 7:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
It is very easy to see that some nigerians are really sick bigoted psychopaths. The usual thing to do if you dont like a topic is to stay away and stay silent, but not so for the usual sick wacko's in the forum like Eko Ile and all the usual sick animals in nairaland who will never waste an opportunity to pollute any issue in nairaland with their stinking disease of bigotry.

Wherever you go in nairaland you see these same sick primitive apes and cowardly lowlifes polluting issues with their dirty habits. So there should be no surprises that a simple issue of two great and succesful Africans Wole Soyinka and Achebe is highjacked by the Eko Ile and the usual sick idiots whose life revolves only around hate mongering and sadism.

It is a good thing that the creator of the article has said he created it deliberately to lure out the usual sick loosers and shame them. As we can see that bait worked because these sick idiots cannot live without hate and stupidity.

These kind of sick debased hateful witches and wizards are the real problem with nigeria and Africa. It is sick and bigoted animals like Eko Ile and gang that populate the government in nigeria and africa and that is why black africa and nigeria has never moved forwad. A person whose life is full of hate cannever rule a nation well to provide for the citizens and therein lies the reason for the crisis of leadership in nigeria and black africa. Untill such sick psychopaths and sadists like Eko Ile are all killed nigeria and africa can never move forward .
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 8:41pm On Nov 22, 2011
The roots x can be found by completing the square,
x^2+b/ax=-c/a
(2)
(x+b/(2a))^2=-c/a+(b^2)/(4a^2)=(b^2-4ac)/(4a^2)
(3)
x+b/(2a)=(+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a).
(4)

Solving for x then gives
x=(-b+/-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a).
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 8:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
q=-1/2(b-sqrt(b^2-4ac))=1/2(-b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))
(20)
1/q = 2/(-b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))(b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))=(2(b+sqrt(b^2-4ac)))/(-b^2+(b^2-4ac))
(21)
= (b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(-2ac)=(-b-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2ac),
(22)

so
x_1 = q/a=(-b+sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a)
(23)
x_2 = c/q=(-b-sqrt(b^2-4ac))/(2a).
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 8:47pm On Nov 22, 2011
Einstein's postulate that the speed of light is a constant comes out as a natural consequence of the Minkowski formulation.[12]

Proposition 1:

When an object is travelling at c in a certain reference frame, the spacetime interval is zero.

Proof:

The spacetime interval between the origin-event (0,0,0,0) and an event (x, y, z, t) is

s^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - (ct)^2 .\,

The distance travelled by an object moving at velocity v for t seconds is:

\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2} = vt \,

giving

s^2 = (vt)^2 - (ct)^2 .\,

Since the velocity v equals c we have

s^2 = (ct)^2 - (ct)^2 .\,

Hence the spacetime interval between the events of departure and arrival is given by

s^2 = 0 \,

Proposition 2:

An object travelling at c in one reference frame is travelling at c in all reference frames.

Proof:

Let the object move with velocity v when observed from a different reference frame. A change in reference frame corresponds to a rotation in M. Since the spacetime interval must be conserved under rotation, the spacetime interval must be the same in all reference frames. In proposition 1 we showed it to be zero in one reference frame, hence it must be zero in all other reference frames. We get that

(vt)^2 - (ct)^2 = 0 \,

which implies

| v | = c.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 8:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
The gyromagnetic ratio γ is the constant of proportionality between the frequency ν of nuclear magnetic resonance (or electron paramagnetic resonance for electrons) and the applied magnetic field B: ν = γB. It is difficult to measure gyromagnetic ratios precisely because of the difficulties in precisely measuring B, but the value for protons in water at 25 °C is known to better than one part per million. The protons are said to be "shielded" from the applied magnetic field by the electrons in the water molecule, the same effect that gives rise to chemical shift in NMR spectroscopy, and this is indicated by a prime on the symbol for the gyromagnetic ratio, γ′p. The gyromagnetic ratio is related to the shielded proton magnetic moment μ′p, the spin number I (I = 1⁄2 for protons) and the reduced Planck constant.

\gamma^{\prime}_{\rm p} = \frac{\mu^{\prime}_{\rm p}}{I \hbar} = \frac{2 \mu^{\prime}_{\rm p}}{\hbar}

The ratio of the shielded proton magnetic moment μ′p to the electron magnetic moment μe can be measured separately and to high precision, as the imprecisely-known value of the applied magnetic field cancels itself out in taking the ratio. The value of μe in Bohr magnetons is also known: it is half the electron g-factor ge. Hence

\mu^{\prime}_{\rm p} = \frac{\mu^{\prime}_{\rm p}}{\mu_{\rm e}} \frac{g_{\rm e} \mu_{\rm B}}{2}
\gamma^{\prime}_{\rm p} = \frac{\mu^{\prime}_{\rm p}}{\mu_{\rm e}} \frac{g_{\rm e} \mu_{\rm B}}{\hbar}.

A further complication is that the measurement of γ′p involves the measurement of an electric current: this is invariably measured in conventional amperes rather than in SI amperes, so a conversion factor is required. The symbol Γ′p-90 is used for the measured gyromagnetic ratio using conventional electrical units. In addition, there are two methods of measuring the value, a "low-field" method and a "high-field" method, and the conversion factors are different in the two cases. Only the high-field value Γ′p-90(hi) is of interest in determining the Planck constant.

\gamma^{\prime}_{\rm p} = \frac{K_{\rm J-90} R_{\rm K-90}}{K_{\rm J} R_{\rm K}} \Gamma^{\prime}_{\rm p-90}({\rm hi}) = \frac{K_{\rm J-90} R_{\rm K-90} e}{2} \Gamma^{\prime}_{\rm p-90}({\rm hi})

Substitution gives the expression for the Planck constant in terms of Γ′p-90(hi):

h = \frac{c_0 \alpha^2 g_{\rm e}}{2 K_{\rm J-90} R_{\rm K-90} R_{\infty} \Gamma^{\prime}_{\rm p-90}({\rm hi})} \frac{\mu_{\rm p}^{\prime}}{\mu_{\rm e}}.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 12:16am On Nov 23, 2011
It is well known than when light enters a material medium it slows down in proportion to the refractive index, n, of that medium. Minkowski and Abraham wanted to know how light's momentum changes as a result. Abraham calculated that the momentum of a single photon within the light is also reduced by a factor n, a result which agrees with our experience of everyday objects – as their speed drops, so too does their momentum. Indeed, a number of powerful arguments have been put forward over the years in support of this position. Prominent among these has been a simple proof based on Newton's first law of motion and Einstein's equivalence of mass and energy, which considers what happens when a single photon travels through a transparent block and transfers some of its momentum to the block, given that the motion of the system's centre of mass-energy must remain constant.

Minkowski's formulation, on the other hand, seems more natural from the point of view of quantum mechanics. As light slows down inside a medium its wavelength also decreases, but quantum mechanics tell us that shorter wavelengths are associated with higher energies, and therefore higher momenta. In fact, Minkowski's approach suggests that the momentum of a single photon of light increases by a factor n as it passes through a medium. This result can also be supported by strong theoretical arguments, among them one that considers what happens when an atom moving at some speed through a medium absorbs a photon and experiences an electronic transition.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 12:23am On Nov 23, 2011
Minkowski Space The spacetime that Minkowski formulated is
called Minkowski space. It consists of a description of events characterized by a
location (x0, x1, x2, x3). We can then define an invariant interval between two events,
a and b, in the spacetime as
s2 = −(x0a− x0b)2 + (x1a− x1b)2 + (x2a− x2b)2 + (x3a− x3b)
2ds2 = −(dx0)2 + (dx1)2 + (dx2)2 + (dx3)2 (1)
It is invariant because another observer using coordinate system (x0, x1, x2, x3)
would measure the same interval, that is
ds2 = ds2 = −(dx0)2 + (dx1)2 + (dx2)2 + (dx3)2
This invariant interval is analogous to a distance in the flat 3-dimensional space that
we are accustomed to. However, one peculiar thing about this “distance” is that it
can be negative. We separate the intervals into three types:
ds2 > 0 the interval is spacelike
ds2 < 0 the interval is timelike
ds2 = 0 the interval is lightlike
A spacelike interval is one for which an inertial frame can be found such that two
events are simultaneous. No material object can be present at two events which are
separated by a spacelike interval. However, a timelike interval can describe two events
of the same material object. For instance, as an initial event, say you are holding a
ball. Suppose you then toss it to a friend, who catches it as a final event. Then the
difference between the initial and final events of the ball is a timelike interval. If a
ray of light could travel between two events then we say that the interval is lightlike.
This is also sometimes referred to as a null geodesic. For a single object, we define
the set of all past and future events of that object as the worldline of that object.
Thus, if two events are on the worldline of a material object, then they are separated
by a timelike interval. If two events are on the worldline of a photon, then they are
separated by a lightlike interval.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 12:33am On Nov 23, 2011
A crystal in contact with its melt (or a liquid in contact with its vapor) is modeled
by a bounded Borel subset M of Rn of nite surface area and xed volume. If f is
a nonnegative function on Sn1 representing the surface tension, assumed known
by experiment or theory, then the surface energy is given by
F(M) =
Z
@M
(17) f(ux) dx;
where ux is the outer unit normal to M at x and @M denotes the boundary of
M. (Measure-theoretic subtleties are ignored in this description; it is assumed
that f and M are such that the various ingredients are properly de ned.) By the
Gibbs-Curie principle, the equilibrium shape of the crystal minimizes this surface
energy among all sets of the same volume. This shape is called the Wul shape.
For example, in the case of a soapy liquid drop in air, f is a constant (neglecting
external potentials such as gravity) and the Wul shape is a ball. For crystals,
however, f will generally re
ect certain preferred directions. In 1901, Wul gave a
construction of the Wul shape W:
W = \
u2Sn1fx 2 Rn : x  u  f(u)g;
each set in the intersection is a half-space containing the origin with bounding
hyperplane orthogonal to u and containing the point f(u)u at distance f(u) from
the origin. The Brunn-Minkowski inequality can be used to prove that, up to
translation, W is the unique shape among all with the same volume for which F is
minimum; see, for example, [144, Theorem 1.1]. This was done rst by A. Dinghas
in 1943 for convex polygons and polyhedra and then by various people in greater
generality. In particular, Busemann [37] solved the problem when f is continuous,
and Fonseca [60] and Fonseca and Muller [61] extended the results to include sets
M of nite perimeter in Rn. Good introductions with more details and references
are provided by Taylor [144] and McCann [116]. In fact, McCann [116] also proves
more general results that incorporate a convex external potential, by a technique
developed in his paper [115] on interacting gases; see Section 8.
To understand how the Brunn-Minkowski inequality assists in the determination
of Wul shape, a glimpse into later developments in the Brunn-Minkowski theory
is helpful. There are (see [135, Theorem 5.1.6]) integral representations for mixed
volumes and, in particular,
V1(K;L) =
n
Z
@K
(18) hL(ux) dx;
for convex bodies K and L in Rn. Here hL(u) is the support function of the convex
body L, the function on Sn1 giving the signed distance from the origin to the
hyperplane supporting L with outward normal vector u. The vector ux is again the
outer unit normal to K at x. Thus V1(K;L) is essentially the surface energy (17)
when the crystal M = K is convex and f happens to be the support function of L.
The minimum surface energy among all convex bodies M of xed volume is then
provided by Minkowski's rst inequality (15), and it occurs when M is homothetic
to L.
In convex geometry, the alternative expression
V1(K;L) =
n
Z
Sn
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Jenifa1: 12:55am On Nov 23, 2011
chic2pimp:

You actually took what he wrote seriously grin grin
Ask him to describe what the outside of a theatre looks like let alone the inside. Dude has never been anywhere near a theatre in his existence.

rotfl is that so? cheesy
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 1:03am On Nov 23, 2011
Albert Einstein is correct in one sense, mistaken in another. It is true that matter is intimately interconnected to all the other matter in the universe by the Spherical In and Out-Waves, something quantum theory discovered but never correctly understood.
This has become known as quantum entanglement and relates to the famous experiment posed by Albert Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen (EPR) and when later technology allowed its experimental testing, it confirmed quantum theory's entanglement. Albert Einstein assumed this interconnectedness was due to the spherical spatially extended field structure of matter, instead, it is due to the interaction of the spherical spatially extended Standing Waves of matter with other matter's Wave-Centers distant in Space. Explaining this Standing Wave interaction of matter with other matter in the Space around it (action-at-a-distance) is largely the purpose of this Article and is one of the great powers of the Metaphysics of Space and Motion and the Spherical Wave Structure of Matter.

Nonetheless, Albert Einstein was very close to the truth. He realised that because matter is spherically spatially extended we must give up the idea of complete localization and knowledge of the 'particle' in a theoretical model. For the particle is nothing but the Wave-Center of a Spherical Standing Wave, and thus can never be isolated as an entity in itself, but is dependent on its interactions with all the other Matter in the Universe. And it is this lack of knowledge of the system as a whole that is the ultimate cause of the uncertainty and resultant probability inherent in Quantum Theory.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by aribisala0(m): 1:09am On Nov 23, 2011
Before matrix mechanics, the old quantum theory described the motion of a particle by a classical orbit, with well defined position and momentum X(t),P(t), with the restriction that the time integral over one period T of the momentum times the velocity must be a positive integer multiple of Planck's constant

\int_0^T P \;dX = n h.

While this restriction correctly selects orbits with more or less the right energy values En, the old quantum mechanical formalism did not describe time dependent processes, such as the emission or absorption of radiation.

When a classical particle is weakly coupled to a radiation field, so that the radiative damping can be neglected, it will emit radiation in a pattern which repeats itself every orbital period. The frequencies which make up the outgoing wave are then integer multiples of the orbital frequency, and this is a reflection of the fact that X(t) is periodic, so that its Fourier representation has frequencies 2πn / T only.

X(t) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{2\pi i nt / T} X_n

The coefficients Xn are complex numbers. The ones with negative frequencies must be the complex conjugates of the ones with positive frequencies, so that X(t) will always be real,

X_n = X_{-n}^* .

A quantum mechanical particle, on the other hand, can't emit radiation continuously, it can only emit photons. Assuming that the quantum particle started in orbit number n, emitted a photon, then ended up in orbit number m, the energy of the photon is En − Em, which means that its frequency is (En − Em) / h.

For large n and m, but with n − m relatively small, these are the classical frequencies by Bohr's correspondence principle

E_n-E_m \approx h(n-m)/T

In the formula above, T is the classical period of either orbit n or orbit m, since the difference between them is higher order in h. But for n and m small, or if n − m is large, the frequencies are not integer multiples of any single frequency.

Since the frequencies which the particle emits are the same as the frequencies in the fourier description of its motion, this suggests that something in the time-dependent description of the particle is oscillating with frequency (En − Em) / h . Heisenberg called this quantity Xnm, and demanded that it should reduce to the classical Fourier coefficients in the classical limit. For large values of n, m but with n − m relatively small, Xnm is the (n − m)th fourier coefficient of the classical motion at orbit n. Since Xnm has opposite frequency to Xmn, the condition that X is real becomes:

X_{nm}=X_{mn}^*.

By definition, Xnm only has the frequency (En − Em) / h, so its time evolution is simple:

X_{nm}(t) = e^{2\pi i(E_n - E_m)t/h} X_{nm}(0) .

This is the original form of Heisenberg's equation of motion.

Given two arrays Xnm and Pnm describing two physical quantities, Heisenberg could form a new array of the same type by combining the terms XnkPkm, which also oscillate with the right frequency. Since the Fourier coefficients of the product of two quantities is the convolution of the Fourier coefficients of each one separately, the correspondence with Fourier series allowed Heisenberg to deduce the rule by which the arrays should be multiplied:

(XP)_{mn} = \sum_{k=0}^\infty X_{mk} P_{kn}

Born pointed out that this is the law of matrix multiplication, so that the position, the momentum, the energy, all the observable quantities in the theory, are interpreted as matrices. Because of the multiplication rule, the product depends on the order: XP is different from PX.

The X matrix is a complete description of the motion of a quantum mechanical particle. Because the frequencies in the quantum motion are not multiples of a common frequency, the matrix elements cannot be interpreted as the Fourier coefficients of a sharp classical trajectory. Nevertheless, as matrices, X(t) and P(t) satisfy the classical equations of motion.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 11, 2015
dayokanu:
Global coverage that cant even win a Nobel?

25yrs after Wole Soyinka won his own, Achebe cant even get close. What a shame.

Soyinka is a cultist.
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by GermanPoison(m): 11:37pm On Oct 31, 2018
Even  thinking about it now, Wole Soyinka's poems were boring.
Gosh, looking back at what I had to suffer in this American education system.

Now this is a better explanation. Was that so hard? tongue
that book won Nobel Prize for Literature y achebe never won it
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by GermanPoison(m): 11:37pm On Oct 31, 2018
Even  thinking about it now, Wole Soyinka's poems were boring.
Gosh, looking back at what I had to suffer in this American education system.

Now this is a better explanation. Was that so hard? tongue
that book won Nobel Prize for Literature y achebe never won it so who is better
Re: Between Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka, Who Has More Global Coverage ? by GermanPoison(m): 11:44pm On Oct 31, 2018
maclatunji:

I will have to disagree with you. Chinua Achebe should have won the Nobel Prize for Literature by now. Why he hasn't beats me.
if he deserve it he will surely get it u think oyibo ready give black man credit. For them to give soyinka that means he was very outstanding to the extent that they can't do ojoro #AbiUGoSayGeorgeWeahNoDeserveWorldBest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Your Plans If ASUU Suspends The Strike Next Week / LAUTECH Shut Down, Jambites Not Allow To Write Their Exams (Photos) / Mmesoma: I Support Sanctions Imposed By JAMB – Ezekwesili

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.