Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,394 members, 7,846,643 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade - Events (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade (40832 Views)

Lagos High Society Weddings Of The 1920s / Cars Given As Souvenirs At Ehi Ogbebor Wedding In Benin (Photos) / Female 'Best Man' Steals The Show At Her Brother's Wedding In Akwa Ibom. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by MEEVEET: 11:14am On May 07
Kukutente23:

Ikwerre have said they are not Igbo but a Benin subgroup.
Opobo and it's environs is documented to belong to Ijaws for ages.
The British interacted with the Ijaws and Itshekiri when they first arrived at the shore. They met the Igbos in the forests.
Like I said when Ndoki is ready all these grammar na less
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by HBB1(m): 11:26am On May 07
Christistruth00:

That is 1960 Fashion Clothing not 1930

In 1930 they still wore Victorian Wear

I tire o!

I wondered if I was the only one that saw that

1 Like

Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by ebufa: 11:31am On May 07
tj2018:
I can See a lot of people especially Igbos who don't know the relationship between Opobo, Bonny and Ndoki People talking trash here. Opobo is an Offshoot of Bonny... The bonny people and Ndoki people are different people who had good trade relationship, Bonny being a wealthy place that hosted the European and super cargoes ships attracted lots of People including the igbos... just like it is today in Lagos and PH where you see a lots of igbos moving in daily. Ndoki was a slave market and the Riverine-Ijaw chiefs were Slave merchant who got their Goods (Human slaves mainly from the igbo Extract). Some of these slaves were encultured into the ibani Culture by cleansing and Change of Name. Some were sold). Things Changed at the abolition of Slave trade, this was replaced by Palm oil trade and bulk of it came from the Azumini/Ndoki Axis, Ibeno/Eket.

ijaw oil politics bombard you there,,,,,,,,,,,ijaws gotelevated to their current status because of their ignoble role in the slave trade, they in effect almost pushed out everyone else in the coastal areas..........Ijaws and fulanis are perfect house slaves to the whiteman!
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Komo4JESUS(m): 11:35am On May 07
That small girl in the picture of alive by now would be at least 95yrs or above.. wonderful picture though
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Putinofrussia: 11:36am On May 07
Christistruth00:

That is 1960 Fashion Clothing not 1930

In 1930 they still wore Victorian Wear
Those people can lie ehn.Most names mentioned are South South people.
There is no proof that it is 1930s.

1 Like

Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Weknowbetter: 11:45am On May 07
This picture is most likely from the 70's. A beautiful site. Nigeria was run right back then
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 12:25pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

Like I said when Ndoki is ready all these grammar na less
Ready for what? Land grabbing? Cause the land belongs to ijaws
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by dnawah(m): 12:26pm On May 07
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by MEEVEET: 12:51pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

Ready for what? Land grabbing? Cause the land belongs to ijaws
Are the jaws ready to submit their evidence before a neutral international court?

Ruling houses of opobo and Bonny are 100% igbos 100%

Traditional of Bonny and opobo from nwamtam to ogelemkpa to the food is 100% Ndoki

Don't worry when the time comes sha

Your best bet is convincing Ndoki they are ijaws
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 1:15pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

Are the jaws ready to submit their evidence before a neutral international court?

Ruling houses of opobo and Bonny are 100% igbos 100%

Traditional of Bonny and opobo from nwamtam to ogelemkpa to the food is 100% Ndoki

Don't worry when the time comes sha

Your best bet is convincing Ndoki they are ijaws
What kind of lie is this? Ruling house of Ijawland is Igbo? How's that possible beyond your infantile imagination
Ijaws have owned those lands since time immemorial. If not for amalgamation and then regionalism, where ijaw and igbo for meet?
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Believeintruth: 1:17pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

I have said it and I would still say it

Opobo and Bonny belong to the Ndoki people

There is a reason ijaws wants Ndoki to be ijaws so bad ... It's Ndoki to decide it's not my fight as an mbaise man... But

Any day Ndoki wants to take back their land and call on the Igbo nation for help we would come for them

You got it right, it is all this post civil war politics that destroyed the cohesion we have.
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Believeintruth: 1:18pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

You want to take Ijaw land?
Igbos have never been riverine. They lived in the hinterland amidst thick forests

noooo don't say that the Ndoki are riverine as well, those from Azumini are also riverine igbos
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by MEEVEET: 1:20pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

What kind of lie is this? Ruling house of Ijawland is Igbo? How's that possible beyond your infantile imagination
Ijaws have owned those lands since time immemorial. If not for amalgamation and then regionalism, where ijaw and igbo for meet?
Tell me the ijaws blood in pepple of Bonny
Or Mac pepple ja ja of opobo ( remember Tobi and urantta took Mack pepple to court for 20 plus years and lost)
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Believeintruth: 1:22pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

Ikwerre have said they are not Igbo but a Benin subgroup.
Opobo and it's environs is documented to belong to Ijaws for ages.
The British interacted with the Ijaws and Itshekiri when they first arrived at the shore. They met the Igbos in the forests.

bro i respect you very much, but you see this one, it is civil war politics, The Ikwerre are clearly igbos by far. there are igbos speaking people in Opobo and Okirika and Kalabari areas, for one after the civil war there is an Aro settlement in the Okirika area that they want them evicted because of post civil war politics.
Check how on earth did Fubara speak igbo so fluently in an Okirika gathering?
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by 3exe3: 2:23pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

Oga leave this osu people joor..dem dy always wan claim everybody
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 2:26pm On May 07
Believeintruth:

bro i respect you very much, but you see this one, it is civil war politics, The Ikwerre are clearly igbos by far. there are igbos speaking people in Opobo and Okirika and Kalabari areas, for one after the civil war there is an Aro settlement in the Okirika area that they want them evicted because of post civil war politics.
Fubara speaking Igbo is acculturation not ethnicity. Ikwerre have claimed to be from ancient Benin
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by 3exe3: 2:28pm On May 07
Believeintruth:

There are aros in ikwerre land. Example the aros in isiokpo were once slaves to the mother of isiokpo and omagwa. After many years they too learnt the language, but this do not make them ikwerres
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Believeintruth: 2:37pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

Fubara speaking Igbo is acculturation not ethnicity. Ikwerre have claimed to be from ancient Benin

it is not an acculturation, and as for Ikwerre being from Benin that is the biggest BS i have ever heard, all their customs and tradition none came from Benin but rather they are all igbo tradition similar to Ndoki and Ngwa areas. If you have ever been to a typical Ikwerre village you will understand.

1 Like

Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by sameks08(m): 2:47pm On May 07
I'm sure say all of them in that picture don kpai
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 2:47pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

Tell me the ijaws blood in pepple of Bonny
Or Mac pepple ja ja of opobo ( remember Tobi and urantta took Mack pepple to court for 20 plus years and lost)
Jaja might have been Igbo but Ijaws did not start with Jaja
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by MEEVEET: 3:12pm On May 07
Kukutente23:
Jaja might have been Igbo but Ijaws did not start with Jaja
Certainly but jaja owns opobo
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Orobadmeat: 3:13pm On May 07
This Bush people are very funny, every time ikwerre, opobo, Bonny,, Una no dey shame, very senile lots, you want out of Nigeria because you want freedom,but you want to force others by force to join your unattractive red mud country, according to an ikwerre song: That thing wey dey sweet you,e dey sweet me too,, keep talking Bunkum

1 Like

Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by 3exe3: 3:27pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

Oga rest...even the present opobo king sees himself as ijaw...u knw nothing about ijaw customs..fubara once said he is an ijaw man to his very bones...
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 4:01pm On May 07
Believeintruth:

it is not an acculturation, and as for Ikwerre being from Benin that is the biggest BS i have ever heard, all their customs and tradition none came from Benin but rather they are all igbo tradition similar to Ndoki and Ngwa areas. If you have ever been to a typical Ikwerre village you will understand.

Can you explain further pls. I'm aware their names have similarity with Igbo names but I believe that's where it ends. I've not seen anything in literature or culture to bear similarities between Ikwerre and Igbo
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 4:07pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

Yeah he founded the place as a kingdom but he did so as an Ijaw man and that is why Ijaw is the predominant speaking language there. It is just like Ilorin and Fulani King who is to al intent and purposes Yoruba now
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by MEEVEET: 4:15pm On May 07
Kukutente23:
Yeah he founded the place as a kingdom but he did so as an Ijaw man and that is why Ijaw is the predominant speaking language there. It is just like Ilorin and Fulani King who is to al intent and purposes Yoruba now
Ijaws is the predominantly spoken what where?

Bro opobo was uninhibited
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:22pm On May 07
anonimi:

Did the British hide their books from us? Or even their history of how they evolved from being Cavemen to where they are now?

Do you think that you are intrinsically LESS intelligent than the average British guy, even though God made everyone in His image and we are all descendants of Adam & Eve
laziness not less intelligent is our problem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Believeintruth: 4:33pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

Can you explain further pls. I'm aware their names have similarity with Igbo names but I believe that's where it ends. I've not seen anything in literature or culture to bear similarities between Ikwerre and Igbo

a typical Ikwerre Village has the same market day names, they have the same igbo customs, their houses have the same Obi where people sit for meetings, there is no similiarity with Benin here.
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 5:30pm On May 07
MEEVEET:

Ijaws is the predominantly spoken what where?

Bro opobo was uninhibited
Ijaw language is spoken in Opobo

Opobo was uninhabited but Jaja was an ijaw man to all intent and purpose when he founded the place. He migrated with his fellow ijaws under his ruling house. Or is amanyanabo an Igbo kingship title?
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 5:32pm On May 07
Believeintruth:

a typical Ikwerre Village has the same market day names, they have the same igbo customs, their houses have the same Obi where people sit for meetings, there is no similiarity with Benin here.
What about their food and dresses as well as their language. Ikwerre is known as Iwhuruọha. Does the word have any meaning in igbo?
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Believeintruth: 5:48pm On May 07
Kukutente23:

What about their food and dresses as well as their language. Ikwerre is known as Iwhuruọha. Does the word have any meaning in igbo?

Do you know that iwhuruoha is an igbo word?
Re: A High Society Wedding In Aba (1931), By Tayo Agunbiade by Kukutente23: 5:54pm On May 07
Believeintruth:

Do you know that iwhuruoha is an igbo word?
more
NOPE
What does it mean?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bridal Shower Paint Party: Bride & Her Squad Go Into Painting Contest / Boyloaf Ebikabowei Weds Onyi Maris In Houston Texas (Photos) / Another Rescued Prostitute Weds In Omega Power Church In Rivers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.