Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth (8432 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 11:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
Dear nairalanders.

I wish to take my wife to south africa to have our baby, We need all the directions please,which hospital to go(Govt. or Private)
how to procure the birth certificate and south african passport,how much the hospital bill will cost.
How to get cheap accomodation for like a month of our stay there.Every info will really be appreciated.
Any south african city information will be welcomed for us to go.We will be travelling from nigeria.

Regards All,
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 12:22pm On Nov 22, 2011
Your rssponse and advise needed please,
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by justwise(m): 12:38pm On Nov 22, 2011
dread247:

Dear nairalanders.

I wish to take my wife to south africa to have our baby, We need all the directions please,which hospital to go(Govt. or Private)
how to procure the birth certificate and south african passport,how much the hospital bill will cost.
How to get cheap accomodation for like a month of our stay there.Every info will really be appreciated.
Any south african city information will be welcomed for us to go.We will be travelling from nigeria.

Regards All,

Why not get these info directly from a hospital in SA? The cost of giving birth in their hospital and if they have resident accommodation or a hotel close to their hospital? Just use Google and search: Hospitals in SA then contact them.

You don't mention anything about passport to them until you get their and your wife deliver first then u start the next step.
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by Kx: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
Predicated on the need for good med attention or child's SA citizenship? just asking
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by justwise(m): 12:44pm On Nov 22, 2011
Use website like this to get an idea

http://community.babycentre.co.uk/post/a3717985/whats_it_like_giving_birth_in_sa

Keep the issue of passport out of it else you will get nowhere with it

1 Like

Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by malaika(f): 1:15pm On Nov 22, 2011
:/
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by justwise(m): 1:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
malaika:

I would strongly recommend that you go the private hospital route, unless you want your wife to compete with thousands of Zim pregnant women for a bed to deliver on.

3 main private hospital groups:
http://www.netcare.co.za/live/netcare_content.php?Item_ID=889&Region_ID=1
http://www.mediclinic.co.za/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.lifehealthcare.co.za/

The good thing about these websites is that you can even do a search for Gynae/Ob names and you'll find many Nigerian doctors' names, which I think you'd be more comfortable with.

I'd say for starters stick to Gauteng province (Jo'burg & Pretoria), you'll land in Johannesburg and to/from the airport would be a taxi / Gautrain ride and you'll most likely find a decent hotel nearby if you enquire from the hospital or doctor's rooms. Good luck!

@Op here you have it ^^^^. Good luck.
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by RSA(m): 3:00pm On Nov 22, 2011
In terms of the cost in the private hospital,prices ranges between R7000 to R25000.
Also check this SA forum on this matter
http://www.rainbownation.com/community/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1781
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 4:18pm On Nov 22, 2011
thanks Justwise, Mailaika and RSA your comment and advise has helped releived
some tension, I really appreciate.
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by paniki(m): 12:06pm On Nov 23, 2011
dread247:

Dear nairalanders.

Regards All,

You or your wife has to be a South African citizen or have a PR permit, if not then your newborn will not get SA citizenship. So the passport thing won't work out. Your baby would have to get citizenship by naturalization which involves staying in the country for a number of years.

www.dha.gov.za/

The private hospitals will break your bank balance. Those places are only good if you have medical insurance. I suggest you go to places like Bloemfontien, Polokwane, Mbombela, Mafikeng and other smaller cities where the public hospitals are not so crowded

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hospitals_in_South_Africa
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 5:30pm On Nov 23, 2011
Thanks Paniki , i appreciate your comment, This Permit and South African citizenship thing
will be a major set back, Is there anyway we can go around it?, I am really concerned now.
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by paniki(m): 9:47pm On Nov 23, 2011
dread247:

Thanks Paniki , i appreciate your comment, This Permit and South African citizenship thing
will be a major set back, Is there anyway we can go around it?, I am really concerned now.

There's a way around everything but the law titled South African Citizenship Act, 1995 (Act 88 of 1995) states that a child born in South Africa to foreign nationals will receive the citizenship of their parents. When home affairs captures a new birth on the national population register, the system they use requires them to link that new capture to a existing citizen who's already on the register. If you and your wife are not on the register as SA citizens or permanent residence permit holders then your child will be given a birth certificate but wont be captured on the population register which is what gives citizenship. The law also kind of prohibits dual citizenship without saying so clearly and with that the home affairs department regularly deletes people who have other passports from the population register, which makes them lose their SA citizenship.

This article might help you
http://www.polity.org.za/article/south-african-citizenship-and-the-2010-citizenship-amendment-bill-2010-07-28
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 12:00am On Nov 24, 2011
Just some questions paniki,

1, Who issues birthcertificate and the process?
2.Do they need the details(names e.t.c) of the parents to issue the birthcertificate?
3.Are the details names(e.t.c) of the parents written in the birthcertificate?

Thanks again for your vivid explanations,
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by paniki(m): 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2011
1. Home Affairs: you go there and fill out a notice of birth form like this [url]http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/homeaffairs/forms/BI%2024.pdf[/url] which becomes the "vault birth certificate" kept by home affairs in its archives
2. Yes
3. Yes (for unabridged certificate)
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2011
Paniki you are a genius thanks alot
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dustydee: 7:05pm On Nov 25, 2011
E don be for Nigeria o. People now going to SA to give birth
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by SAfulfill(f): 5:03pm On Nov 27, 2011
hi

Your child wont be given an SA citizenship because the Parent does not have a permanent residence permit .It only when the the parent hold that permit that the child can be given a citizenship .But we at fulfillsa we are a travel and tour company that can help you to arrange all necessary thing needed to visit South African and even if you still want your wife to still give birth in south Africa we can help you arrange all that .for more details you can send an email to fulfillsa@gmail.com
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by dread247: 7:36pm On Nov 27, 2011
SAfulfill thanks for your response.
Re: Travelling To South Africa To Give Birth by mbulela: 3:13pm On Nov 29, 2011
dread247:

SAfulfill thanks for your response.
Why would you want a South African citizenship for your child?
anyway, it is not even possible unless you or/and your wife are already SA citizens.
Outside of the passport issue which is ruled out, what exactly is your reason for wanting to go give birth in SA?

SAfulfill:

A Self-catering Apartment In South Africa

A Luxurious furnished suites with telephone,
TV, DSTV.24 hour security
Secure parking. Self-
Catering & Restaurant facilities.
It is situated at Barclay Square, Sunnyside, Pretoria
per day, the longer you stay the discount you receive.
Contact 0814960024, 0123413207
Telephone Number: 071-8071725
E-mail fulfillsa@gmail.com
Sunnyside ke!!

(1) (Reply)

Ghanaian High Comission Deny News Of Confisticating Nigerians' Money / After 3 Months Of Lockdown, See How People Sat Inside A Plane In Nigeria! / Arrangee Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.