Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,840 members, 7,838,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute (20026 Views)

Pentagon Orders US Soldiers To Withdraw From Niger Republic / US To Withdraw From Niger As Security Pact Fails In Strategic Victory For Russia / French Troops Begin Withdrawal From Niger Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by dre11(m): 8:21am On May 11
Benin has blocked China’s first shipment of crude oil from Niger amid an ongoing border dispute between the two West African nations arising from a coup that has put a military junta in Niger in power which caused strained relations with other African nations[.

China’s first imports of crude oil from Niger’s military junta arrived in Benin in three vessels but were prevented by the authorities from docking at the port.

Benin’s President, Patrice Talon, justified the action in a statement, arguing that Niger could not view his country as an enemy and still expects the country’s oil to cross Benin territory.

If you want to load your oil in our waters, you can’t view Benin as an enemy and at the same time expect your oil to cross our territory. We’re open to working with Niger. They’re the ones that refused to allow trucks to cross,” Talon stated in the statement, according to Oilprice.com.

The oil bound for China was part of a $400-million commodity-backed loan from China National Petroleum Corp, which Niger’s military junta agreed to at a seven interest rate and repayment in oil for a period of 12 months, as reported by Bloomberg.

Additionally, CNPC has invested some $4.6 billion in Niger’s oil industry, including the construction of a 1,200-mile pipeline transporting crude oil from Niger to Benin. The pipeline was set to begin shipping 90,000 bpd in May and up to 110,000 bpd at full capacity.

The deal has been disrupted by the coup in Niger last July, in which the military junta seized power and closed its land border with Benin, which in turn slapped sanctions on Niger.

Those sanctions have been lifted; however, Niger has kept the land border with Benin closed, and the latest oil shipment bound for China is now a bargaining chip. As of the time of writing, Niger’s junta has not responded to Benin’s statements, according to the Oilprice.com

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2024/05/11/benin-blocks-chinas-first-crude-oil-shipment-from-niger-over-border-dispute?amp=1

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Obagreatdatoye(m): 8:27am On May 11
Let the oil remain there..

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by EmperorCaesar(m): 8:34am On May 11
The SE is landlocked, if they secced, they'll be denied access to the sea

Na this kind thing Dem go face

I'm coming from the future, trust me, things wouldn't go well with them

94 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Exousiang01(m): 8:57am On May 11
Just like Biafrans the junta in Niger didnt understand what "landlocked" meant

70 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Exousiang01(m): 9:02am On May 11
EmperorCaesar:

They are busy making enemies with the SS.
For a people whose major business is importation. Landlocked countries dont make enemies with their neighbors.

89 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Hillarie(m): 9:41am On May 11
Now this is how a leader runs a government. You make crucial decisions and stand by them with reasonable reasons.

One day, Naija sef will get it right.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Dpharisee: 9:42am On May 11
Benin is a puppet country controlled by France which is angry at Niger for driving them out of their country.

Before the coup France was paying 8 Euros for a KG of Uranium, today Niger is selling its Uranium at 200 Euros per KG and they are bitter about it. Niger is currently the fastest growing economy in Africa, believe me many citizens of Niger Republic doing menial jobs like shoeshiner, Okada, Helper in Nigeria are moving back home gradually.
There will be concerted efforts to sabotage their new found freedom from French and American imperialism.

In order to deal with France because of its support for Ukraine, Russia is buying Uranium at international rate from Niger and Iran will start buying soon which means more money.

Russia is also supplying them with free grains and fertiliser and training their forces to fight terrorism brutally like Russia does (called human rights violation by the west).

To show that they are serious, the leader of ISIS in West Africa who has a $10m bounty on his head by America for 10 years was killed this week and the story is here on Nairaland.
The leader of bandits in Sokoto was captured by Nigerien forces who entered Nigeria at Illela Sokoto its also here on Nairaland FP this week.

EmperorCaesar:

The thread is about Benin and Niger but meanwhile South East which is a recent political creation is landlocked but neither Igboland nor Eastern region is landlocked

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by 4tomandchi: 9:42am On May 11
Africa should please unit all we need is peace

1 Like

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by ROYALMAXCLEANER: 9:42am On May 11
Small nyansh dey shake.... 😁😁

Imagine Africa countries with enemity are like pr!ck and totoz👌👈

Benin too dey shake waiste 😁😁

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by ironheart(m): 9:43am On May 11
See country wey sabi

7 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 9:43am On May 11
Good one. It's give and talk, I rob your back, I rob yours.

4 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by symbianDON(m): 9:44am On May 11
I love Benin for this grin

18 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by AUTOCRATIC(m): 9:44am On May 11
E Don set

2 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by jiz: 9:44am On May 11
Pray Nigeria goverment will learn from Benin Republic on how generate IGR from blessings of waters

9 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Pootle: 9:45am On May 11
i love leaders with balls not some jelly fish ones scared of little boys running around with AKs

11 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by rowland545(m): 9:45am On May 11
I think benin is a progressive country ..though very small but they are doing well....

This shows d military has no business in power if they could not understand how power plays...how can u close ur border to a country that has d sea route ...jow do u expect to get your shipment.... power is not all about "i can fight corruption"

Do u understand how international politics plays

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:45am On May 11
EmperorCaesar:

angry

1 Like

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by id4sho(m): 9:46am On May 11
Coups affect international trade and Alot of economic sanctions will be meted on the junta. tongue

Nigeria under Abacha suffered same. Boys where playing football at apapa and tincan ports in Lagos. Na Cotonou save Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by stuffs2002: 9:46am On May 11
South East own go worse pass Niger sef because all they have been doing is making enemies upandan.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by jiz: 9:46am On May 11
You no see future well grin grin Adjust your thinking glass
EmperorCaesar:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by xtian110: 9:47am On May 11
This country is finish... May God hear our cry . AMEN.
Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by bestman09(m): 9:47am On May 11
Tit for Tat

So Niger now exports crude oil? Congratulations to them.

4 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by WantsandMore: 9:47am On May 11
The oil bound for China was part of a $400-million commodity-backed loan from China National Petroleum Corp, which Niger’s military junta agreed to at a seven interest rate and repayment in oil for a period of 12 months, as reported by Bloomberg.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Thanos5555: 9:47am On May 11
shocked
wow

This benin president,na president wey go school

SEE tough and aggressive foreign engagement with werey Junta boys, to improve benin tradeflows with neighbouring countries, and force them to open borders.

5 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Quelme: 9:47am On May 11
Benin doing the bidding of its slave master, France.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by fastseo: 9:47am On May 11
cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by AOB1: 9:47am On May 11
Okay
Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Homiesjinxbank: 9:48am On May 11
wink

1 Like

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by Ogonimilitant(m): 9:48am On May 11
BATRians full this comment

4 Likes

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by inoki247: 9:48am On May 11
So you see someone as enemy still wan move goods through dere route....

Is a Tit for Tat u block dere Truck buh want to use dere water....

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Blocks China’s First Crude Oil Shipment From Niger Over Border Dispute by appini: 9:49am On May 11
That Republic of Benin president nor send anybody

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

ISRAEL Warns UN Security Council Of Regional War If Hezbollah Is Not Disarmed. / Russian Govt, Struggling Under Sanctions, Asks India For Supplies To Key Sectors / Saudi Prince Sues Forbes For Underestimating His Wealth

Viewing this topic: UniQue84

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.