Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Why Do People Pray? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Pray? (2149 Views)

Why Do People Pray Against Expected Events? / I am sinner who makes luv to girls like a dog.please people pray for me / Why Do Religious People Pray ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Pray? by igbo2011(m): 2:19pm On Nov 22, 2011
how long haveyou been praying for? I read people's comments here and they say that they will pray for Nigeria or pray to get things better. How long have you been praying for? STOP PRAYING AND DO SOMETHING!!

Re: Why Do People Pray? by claremont(m): 2:28pm On Nov 22, 2011
People use prayer as a way to escape reality. The average Nigerian prefers to rant like mad elves rather than confront his problem logically, that partly explains why we are wallowing in the present conundrum.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by Joagbaje(m): 3:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
If you're a christian ,see what the bible says.

Luke 18:1
. . men ought always to pray, and not to faint
;

And if you're not a christian, leave christian matters alone.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by kelz88(f): 5:14pm On Nov 22, 2011
OP, please tell them. angry They would rather wait for manna to fall from heaven.

‎"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Teach a man how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime; Give him Religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish"

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Pray? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
well said kelz88,
Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told, religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by igbo2011(m): 9:20pm On Nov 23, 2011
kelz88:

OP, please tell them. angry They would rather wait for manna to fall from heaven.

‎"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Teach a man how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime; Give him Religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish"

Very true, Nigerians need to wake up.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by HISchild: 7:05am On Nov 24, 2011
"John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven." - John 3:27.

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil." - Pro 3:5-7

At the same time, work as hard has you can. GOD in HIS faithfulness and goodness blesses efforts. "And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;" - 1 Th 4:11; "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread." - 2 Th 3:10-12

But one must always give GOD all thanks and glory for all one has and is (if you're sick or incapacitated in some way or the other, you cannot enjoy your wealth). Thus one should thank and praise GOD, "Who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not, that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end; And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth. But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day." - Deut 8:16-18

----
"A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." - Psa_24:1
Re: Why Do People Pray? by plappville(f): 4:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
kelz88:

OP, please tell them. angry  They would rather wait for manna to fall from heaven.

U sound as if people who pray do pray with your mouth shocked and what made u think that people who pray do not work/jobless?

@ OP, we pray because that is the means in which christians communicate with thier God.
God gave us this method PRAYER, so that we can ve link with him.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by mabell: 7:15pm On Nov 24, 2011
Prayer is a fellowship, a communion with God
When you pray incense goes up to heaven, it's a sweet smelling savior to God
Prayer is a meadium by which you can intercede for people, nations, situations e.t.c
The Christian has being called into a life of prayer and that is where he should find his fulfillment
Re: Why Do People Pray? by Kay17: 9:23pm On Nov 24, 2011
Why would prayers be needed, if there is an omniscient being who already knows all?!
Re: Why Do People Pray? by gotizsata: 12:44am On Nov 25, 2011
Re: Why Do People Pray? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:05am On Nov 25, 2011
igbo2011:

Why Do People Pray?

Why Do People Eat?
Re: Why Do People Pray? by Iyineda(m): 1:11am On Nov 25, 2011
People pray because they think their imaginary best friend can solve all their problems.

Or this:

gotizsata:

Re: Why Do People Pray? by manmustwac(m): 2:54am On Nov 25, 2011
When I clicked on the link to this thread I thought it was another pray for Nigeria thread thank dog its not. My brothers and sisters have no qualms in praying for Nigeria but when it reaches money matters they never pray they'd rather beg thier uncle in London to send them western union.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by manmustwac(m): 2:58am On Nov 25, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Why Do People Eat?
you have to eat to survive. Man must wack smiley prayer is nothing but superstition.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by manmustwac(m): 3:04am On Nov 25, 2011
plappville:

U sound as if people who pray do pray with your mouth shocked and what made u think that people who pray do not work/jobless?

@ OP, we pray because that is the means in which christians communicate with thier God.
God gave us this method PRAYER, so that we can ve link with him.

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Unknown
Re: Why Do People Pray? by kelz88(f): 3:13am On Nov 25, 2011
Nice one. ^^ I'm so saving that quote.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:03pm On Nov 25, 2011
manmustwac:

you have to eat to survive. Man must wack smiley prayer is nothing but superstition.

We eat to satisfy our material hunger. We pray to satisfy our spiritual hunger.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by Bamaguje: 6:17pm On Nov 25, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

We eat to satisfy our material hunger. We pray to satisfy our spiritual hunger.

@PAGAN 9JA:

kaima arne ne kamar ni, sai dai ni atheist ne, na bar musulunchi. grin
Re: Why Do People Pray? by harakiri(m): 6:46pm On Nov 25, 2011
People pray when they have lost hope in all direct means of tackling a problem. That is why whenever i hear someone say "Let's hope in god" OR "Let's pray over it". . .i automatically know all hope is lost. Nigeria's electricity supply remains epileptic in-spite of all the prayers. Leaders keep looting billions on a daily basis and all people can do is pray. The roads are nothing but death traps and prayers remained unanswered. Policemen shoot innocent civilians on a daily basis and yet, all we do is pray. Na how many man pikin wan mention?

Na dem sabi.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by gotizsata: 3:22am On Nov 26, 2011
we masturbate to satisfy our sexual urges
we drink alcohol to quench our thirst
we pray to quench the desire to talk to ourselves
Re: Why Do People Pray? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:53pm On Nov 27, 2011
Bamaguje:

@PAGAN 9JA:

kaima arne ne kamar ni, sai dai ni atheist ne, na bar musulunchi. grin

Ni Maguzawa Arne, ni ba atheist ba ne. Ina farin cikin saduwa da kai. cool
My brother, you are the first Hausa i meet "on Nairaland" who has left islam. may the Gods guide you on the right track. our old and true cultures and religion is dying because of islam. we need to bring back those into mainstream Hausa society for the benefit of our brothers and sisters. Ubangeji Guide you.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by emofine(f): 1:24pm On Nov 27, 2011
I think some people here assume that prayers is all about asking a request but many people pray to also give thanks to their God not just to supply a list of their needs.

I perceive prayer as not only a means of communication but also a heart to heart. If someone is of faith then I believe it's standard of such person to converse and confide in their God.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by Haribo: 12:51am On Nov 28, 2011
People pray when they feel powerless. Empowered people have no need for prayer. Our beloved country is a classic example of why this is true. Our leaders do not care, our hospitals do not care, our law enforcement officers are only interested in their pockets, and your own best friend will betray you for a quick buck. When no one in your world gives a damn about you, your next step is to reach out to 'higher powers' that can supposedly effect change.

So, people pray because they are powerless. That's my answer to the OP.

Is prayer effective? Other than the sense of relief it must bring to know that some greater being is working on your case, I don't think prayer accomplishes anything. But that's another topic altogether.
Re: Why Do People Pray? by igbo2011(m): 7:56am On Jun 25, 2012
Has prayer ever worked for any of you? For me it hasn't.
PAGAN 9JA:

Why Do People Eat?
To survive?
Re: Why Do People Pray? by Mattigasz: 8:48am On Jun 25, 2012
People pray because they think it helps. Soon they find that it doesnt so they pray harder. Then somthing happens in their lives and they attribute it to their prayer. Praying doesnt work, never will. How do I know, cause I tried and it did not work. Easy as pie.

(1) (Reply)

Black Jesus, Nigeria Jesus - By His Stripes You Are Healed / Pastor E.A. Adeboye And Mummy Sitting On A Bench.throw Back Pix / Muslims Are Not Terrorists And Terrorists Are Not Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.