Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,801 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips (13235 Views)

Short Comedy Stories For Short Film Production / The Lover Boiz... Comedy & Action / FUNNY STORIES - The Blind Date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Seun(m): 4:29pm On Sep 23, 2007
For a comedy to work it must be grounded in reality. All the elements of the story that are not realistic should be funny, and any elements that are not funny should be realistic. The worst thing that can happen to a comedy is when people want to laugh but they are thinking, "this is stupid". Don't let them think! Do you have any tips of your own?
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by adjain(m): 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2007
I think I have a post of my own.
When acting out a comedy, your facial expression is important.
You should have a comical expression on your face.
Way I see it, if the guys watching do not laugh b'cos of your act, then they can laugh b'cos of your face.

What thinkest thou??
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Seun(m): 9:13am On Dec 11, 2007
I agree with you adjian. The way you present your joke as important as the words of the joke.

Here's a formula for joke writing followed by many professional comedians:
a good joke format to start out with is setup/punchline/tag. The setup is the premise of the joke, or everything about the joke right before they laugh. The punchline is, well, the punchline. This is the line that brings the laughter. The tag is the punchline after the punchline, which is usually a snippy line to bring in some more laughs. I’ll illustrate this format with an example.

Setup: I was buying wood the other day. The cashier wasn’t wearing a shirt, and her tits were sticking out. She then asks if that’s all the wood I have.

Punchline: I told her, “no, I’ve got 3 inches of oak I’m hiding in my pants.”

Tag: So I whipped it out and she had the biggest, sexiest smile on her face…right before she burst into laughter.

Ok, that wasn’t a good joke. But you should get the basic idea of how to set up a joke.
http://www.43things.com/entries/view/2360789

Setup, punchline, tag.
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by hayan(m): 11:32am On Dec 11, 2007
A good comedy must be natural. You shouldn't act comedy! Great comedy writer's like AristophAnes used the political; social; and econic situation of the then ancient Greek to write great comedies and that's why his comedies has not been surpassed. Writer's like shakespeare also used real occurences i.e. his comedy of error, to make his comedy. She stoops to conquer of Goldsmith is another good one.
A good comediean must look comic, i.e frank Spencer and Mr bean etc. Baba Suwe also used to be a very good comic actor, in some of his early films from bayowa stable his facial expression only will make people roll on the floor, I can remember a film i watched at teh national theatre in the 90's, can't remember the title now. He sneaked inside to stael a meat from the stew in a hospital, his look alone made everybody laughed. The laughter was so much that tehy have to pause the paly for some minutes. Nowadays, what we have as comedy in Nigeria are rubish. But guys are still doing great things on Stage.
Good comedies are found on stages now. Plays from prof femi Osofisan and other scholars taht truly understand the art!
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by imoh82: 1:17pm On Dec 12, 2007
really different cultures have different things which sound funny to them. i was hanging out with a british guy the other day and we got talking so he showed me a clip of a british stand up. while he rolled in laughter almost choking i on the other hand didnt think it was amazingly funny. when writing comedy you have to check out who the intended audience is. if it's something to be localised write Nigerian but an international comedy needs the words to be spoken in a universal way. but in scenarios like that physical comedies are safer like Mr.Bean etc
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Ka: 10:19pm On Dec 14, 2007
Seun,

Catchphrases can be used a lot for comedic effect - although I think they should be the flavour rather than the main meal.

Also, good development of characters can do a lot for comedy. Sometimes, we laugh not because what is being said is funny but because of who is saying it. In fact, sometimes we become so familiar with the character's foibles and eccentricities that we laugh even before he has done anything, just as we laugh amongst friends who may not be saying anything particularly funny.
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by NANYA1887(f): 1:29pm On Dec 15, 2007
COMEDY, hmmmmmm,to some its an excuse to be annoying,overbearing and abusive.To others its an act,a profession dat helps put people in deir best mood ever and show dem d humourous side of life!Very therapautic for me!
Best tip?DONT FORCE IT,if its not in you den its not.
ohh P.S:DONT EVER MAKE JOKES ABOUT STAMMERERs,not only is it derrogatory,its sooooooooooooo OVER RATED!
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Bodiga(m): 5:34pm On Dec 18, 2007
well I go say na u talk so lipsrsealed[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Bodiga(m): 5:34pm On Dec 18, 2007
well I go say na u talk so  lipsrsealed[color=#000099][/color] abi

bodiga
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by bikokwe(m): 3:43pm On Dec 31, 2007
what matters in comedy
1.story line
2.gesticulations
3.coherence
4.suspense
5.stage management
6.use of surrounding material[things around to form the joke]
7.targeted audience[important cuz what happen among them would sound more funny than something they have hardly experience
8.current/latest gist
9.Experience e.t.c
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Damon410: 7:32pm On Jan 12, 2008
cool u just need 2 include farts
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Damon410: 7:34pm On Jan 12, 2008
Damon

it definetly needs a funny arguement cool
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Damon410: 7:40pm On Jan 12, 2008
grin heres a funny story NO1

Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Damon410: 7:41pm On Jan 12, 2008
grin and heres the second 1

Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by ekajsenil4: 7:57pm On Jan 12, 2008
tip number 1. u always av to use stuff dat people find rude u can even use dirty bodys cool shocked
Re: Writing Funny Stories: Comedy Tips by Damon410: 7:58pm On Jan 12, 2008
r dey funny
cheesy lol

(1) (Reply)

Toke(the Girl Child) / Being An Exorcist Is Not An Easy Job! / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.