Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Working In The Wrong Place - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working In The Wrong Place (1686 Views)

Working In Abuja Vs Lagos / I Sent The Wrong Salary Schedule To The Bank / Working In A Bank Is Better Than Working In An Oil Company - Fact Or Fiction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working In The Wrong Place by raldsfield(m): 11:38pm On Mar 09, 2006
I'm a mathematics graduate, not bragging but I made a 2.1 in the oldest university at home. I came to the U.K and I am working in a call center. It took me a jobless 3 months to get this job, which is why am not leaving it.

If not for the bills I have to pay every month I won't be going to work in the mornings. Some mornings I have to call my friend in Philippine's to talk me out of bed, for me to be able to go to work. At work i feel like a square peg in a round hole.

I'm still in the process; I am sure we have some people who have had similar experiences. Can you share with me how you were able to leave that work you didn't enjoy and found joy in a job you are looking forward to every morning? I feel I should be calculating something.

Anyway the money motivates me sha, but I wish I was doing something I find joy in.
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by Seun(m): 12:26am On Mar 10, 2006
My ideas: (I confess I have never been in your situation):

1) Take the time to take the career test at www.livecareer.com so you know for sure what your kind of job is. Pay for the full report to get a clearer picture. Without this, I think other steps may not work.

2) Familiarize yourself with the various online job boards. Craigslist is king. http://craigslist.org/ http://leeds.craigslist.org/

3) Is there a way to generate ideas to improve your current workplace and maybe impress supervisors?
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by Hotstepper(f): 1:14am On Mar 10, 2006
hmm I feel u and if i may ask, do u alwayz get sumthing like "u need a british experience" 4rom da compnaies u applied 2?
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by raldsfield(m): 2:17am On Mar 10, 2006
Hotstepper,

you just got it. To get this job they did not have to see any of my qualifications, just a C.V. It is a cool job, am a mathematican, I work with people who have been there for more than 5 years. And they are doing well, if that is what they want.

They like what they do, I don't that is the difference, it is about the Joy, but i still give my best, I always do, never planned to study maths but i did and i gave my best to it.

But you didn't mention your own experience.
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by Seun(m): 2:20am On Mar 10, 2006
I take it that you find my links completely useless?
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by Hotstepper(f): 5:13am On Mar 10, 2006
sorry gurl and datz one of da reasons ppl send their kidz 2 study abraod so they can fit into da 2 worlds, when ppl dat skooled dere r finiding it hard 2 find a job, wonderhow ppl 4rom 9ja would do dat esp. when 9ja education ain't taken 4 nuthing even 2 do ur MASTERS and u get ur transcript 4rom 9ja, it wouldn't make anything here unless u got all A'S, since u read maths, hmmm won't u like 2 teach?
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by Seun(m): 8:37pm On Mar 10, 2006
I really need you to say something, raldsfield.
Re: Working In The Wrong Place by raldsfield(m): 8:54pm On Mar 10, 2006
Seun, I am sorry i have not replied you. That has been bad of me. That was good advice you gave me.

I tried the site but was not able to do the test, my system was not responding to the site and they wanted to much

information which i was not comfortable with. home address, phone no.

I don't give that to someone i can't see. i made a few calls today and i got other sites which i have used to evaluate

myself not too impressive with there results though. I was also at a government agency today where i got some good advice. Thanks for you consign. I really appreciate.

If you have got a site for this test just inform me.

(1) (Reply)

Perfect Hair (weave-ons & Wigs) Merchandising/ Distributorship Opportunity / How Much Does Dangote Pay Graduates? / Oil And Gas Service Companies In VI, Lekki And Ajah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.