Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians (10992 Views)

The Eyo Festival In Lagos State / History Of Eyo Festival / What Is Eyo Festival All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 27, 2011
boneruns:

This great festival has been hijacked by street urchins(mostly non lagosians) who see it as an avenue to loot, beg and intimidate the populace. The also fought and maimed yesterday. I hope these anomalies will be corrected by the next festival.
This so called eyo festival is BS of the highest order. from the early 80s to date, i have witnessed many eyo festival as a Lagosian myself and almost all havent been freed of violence and death each time the festival takes the centre stage. l returned to the country yesterday morning not knowing the BS blood sucking festival was to be held. from the ikeja airport, there was no sign of anything happening since the eyo thing was only an island thing and not extended to other local govt of Lagos. getting to the island at obalende, this touts in the name of eyo were harassing pple, stopping all commercial buses and charging money from them in the name of eyo. l almost used the car to hit one one them blocking my way. any commercial bus driver that failed to stop or give money, they used the stick to hit the side of their buses. they were forcing pple to pull of their shoes and anyone who doesnt, were hit with the stick. i left island and returned at about 7pm only to hear the expected, which is violence and death. one eyo was passing and another was also passing. one side refused to stop for the other and then it became free for all. bottles and matchetes flowed freely. more than 3 pple were killed with several others injured. its touts and area boys that mostly do this eyo thing and i stand to be corrected for more than 20 yrs of my witnessing this festival, just like the useless egungun festival, there must be violence and pple must surely loose their lives. l thought they all were to be at the TBS ystday, yet some animals were still parading the streets which eventually led to the violence. smh
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by Dyt(f): 7:30pm On Nov 27, 2011
Hehe
uncle Roba don feks
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by Nobody: 7:44pm On Nov 27, 2011
Kennyyo:

You can imagine them calling it idolatary! It is not wrong if its halloween, but anything african is termed evil. A people who has lost their identity, language and culture can never evolve. We need to celebrate who we are and we are Africans.

these so called babes nah my mumsy age group and so other people property (OPP)
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by texazzpete(m): 8:44pm On Nov 27, 2011
dammizz:

Idolatery lipsrsealed
later when someone calls you an Infidel, you people will be the first to cry about intolerance.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 27, 2011
Dyt:

Hehe
uncle Roba don feks
idyt. who's ur uncle? shocked we are age mate even though im older than u with 5 yrs.

seriously, im sure u were on the island ystday. kindly share ur experience on the violence, deaths and harassment i spoke about.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:14pm On Nov 27, 2011
Bros no vex na
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by lukkie(m): 9:26pm On Nov 27, 2011
dammizz:

Idolatery lipsrsealed
Here we go. Let's welcome the religious fanatics. Everything foreign is good; but anything African is bad.

Kennyyo:

You can imagine them calling it idolatary! It is not wrong if its halloween, but anything african is termed evil. A people who has lost their identity, language and culture can never evolve. We need to celebrate who we are and we are Africans.

Thank you jare. Help me tell them. We Africans are still slaves to Oyinbo & Arabs, following them like mumu cos of their imported religions.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 28, 2011
The Eyo masquerades are pretty good looking than those wearing outlandish clothes and palm fronds.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by enyhss(m): 4:39am On Nov 28, 2011
toba:

This so called eyo festival is BS of the highest order. from the early 80s to date, i have witnessed many eyo festival as a Lagosian myself and almost all havent been freed of violence and death each time the festival takes the centre stage. l returned to the country yesterday morning not knowing the BS blood sucking festival was to be held. from the ikeja airport, there was no sign of anything happening since the eyo thing was only an island thing and not extended to other local govt of Lagos. getting to the island at obalende, this touts in the name of eyo were harassing pple, stopping all commercial buses and charging money from them in the name of eyo. l almost used the car to hit one one them blocking my way. any commercial bus driver that failed to stop or give money, they used the stick to hit the side of their buses. they were forcing pple to pull of their shoes and anyone who doesnt, were hit with the stick. i left island and returned at about 7pm only to hear the expected, which is violence and death. one eyo was passing and another was also passing. one side refused to stop for the other and then it became free for all. bottles and matchetes flowed freely. more than 3 pple were killed with several others injured. its touts and area boys that mostly do this eyo thing and i stand to be corrected for more than 20 yrs of my witnessing this festival, just like the useless egungun festival, there must be violence and pple must surely loose their lives. l thought they all were to be at the TBS ystday, yet some animals were still parading the streets which eventually led to the violence. smh

It's really unimaginable how some people would really go out of their ways to put down what is truly their's , only to glorify everything that is foreign to them. I do not condone violence no matter what. But when folks like you describe traditional festivals in your homeland as ''useless''; It's an understatement to say your comment is absurd!. Constructive criticisms from you & others, on how these traditional festivals could be safer for all and sundry. would have been the noble way to go. Having lived in one of the so-called ''advanced countries'' for years have really changed my perception of a ''Perfect Society'' , which some folks would like to glorify when they go back to their Native-land. There's no perfect society!
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by prefers555: 7:31am On Nov 28, 2011
Sy the truth, this years edition was boring , a lot of phone jacking xperience, and whats with the stupid eyos flogging spectators 4 not walking on barefoot. Phucking stupid and xploitative angry. The entire island was deserted and i had to walk barefoot in the blistering road.

Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by nwanioma(f): 12:05pm On Nov 28, 2011
The Eyo seems like child's play when compared to Igbo masquerade festivals. eyos ping, eyos holding chicks on the streets? Just seems to me like its just a joke, well maybe its a culture shock thing sha.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by humblebee: 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2011
prefers555:

Sy the truth, this years edition was boring , a lot of phone jacking xperience, and whats with the silly eyos flogging spectators 4 not walking on barefoot. Phucking silly and xploitative angry. The entire island was deserted and i had to walk barefoot in the blistering road.

try again next year!!!
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by isleman(m): 1:13pm On Nov 29, 2011
Kennyyo:

let them continue to live in the past. Those are principles and virtues of a poor man every culture is idolatry, every stranger is an enemy, everything they dont know is not good etc
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by isleman(m): 1:22pm On Nov 29, 2011
toba:

You just said it all, the event is at TBS, those ones on the roadside are illegal and are miscreants. they should be arrested. if you said there was a fight at TBS and there was blood shed, i would have advised the festival banned.

Why do you think we run when we here gun shots, riots, or even ordinary fighting when we even know we are NOT the target? its because some nonentity and miscreants highjack the whole thing for their self extortion and stealing. it narrows down to better security in the country. That should never the less deny us doing what we ought to do.

there were announcement for transportation and logistics before the day for people who want to part take in the festival, perhaps coming into Lagos without prior knowledge made you run into those bulls.

apologies on behalf of the state.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by Pukkah: 4:13pm On Nov 29, 2011
dammizz:

Idolatery  lipsrsealed

So Eyo is idolatry? Wow!  Which of the foreign religions do you profess? Anyway, consider the following:

Is Halloween idolatry?  Also consider the following Christmas symbols:

Is the Christmas Tree, the sacred tree of the winter god idolatry? Druids believed the spirit of their gods resided in the tree.

The Star - the 5-pointed star which some thought to be a powerful symbol of Satan, second only to the hexagram.  How come this Star which really has nothing to do with Christianity has come to be associated with it?  Is this idolatry?

Candles - Many pagans all over the world use candles in their rituals and ceremonies. The extensive use of candles is usually a very good indication that the service is pagan, no matter what the outward trappings might be.

Mistletoe - the sacred plant of the Druids, symbolizing pagan blessings of fertility.

Wreaths - these are associated with fertility and the 'circle of life'.

Santa Claus - some Satanists have said that 'Santa' is an anagram for 'satan'.  If you doubt this, you shouldn't doubt the fact that the god 'Sanat Kamura' is definitely an anagram for Satan.  The mythical attributes and powers ascribed to Santa are eerily close to those possessed by Jesus Christ.

Reindeer  - are horned animals representing the "horned-god" or the "stag-god" of pagan religion.

Green and Red are the traditional colors of the season, as they are the traditional pagan colors of winter. Green is Satan's favorite color, red is the color of human blood, Satan's highest form of sacrifice.

December 25 -  is known as the "nativity" of the sun. This date is the birthday of Tammuz, the son, the reincarnation of the sun god. Traditionally, December 21 is known as Yule. The Roman Catholic Church moved the celebration of Yule to December 25.

Now let's move to Valentine Day:

Valentine's Day - is a pagan festival that encourages love and physical lust.

It is celebrated precisely 13 days after Imbolg, thus imprinting upon it the number '13', Satan's number of extreme rebellion. While most people view this day as the day to honor your wife or your lover, this celebration is steeped in paganism.

Consider the camouflaged occult gods in Valentine's Day:
1. Cupid, the son of Venus, is really Tammuz, son of Semiramis

2. Venus, daughter of Jupiter, is really Semiramis herself. Jupiter is the head deity, a sun god - Nimrod, Semiramis' husband, is considered a sun god in the Babylonian Mysteries.

And now to Easter:

March 21-22
Goddess Ostara (Ishtar, also spelled, "Eostre"wink, for whom "Easter" is named - March 21 is one of the Illuminati's Human Sacrifice Nights

Easter is a shifting date using the common practice of Astrology; it is celebrated on the first Sunday after the first new moon after Ostara.

This date also has nothing to do with the resurrection of Jesus Christ! Rather, this day in the pagan tradition celebrates the return of Semiramis into her reincarnated form of the Spring Goddess. Since the marrying of pagan Easter to Jesus' resurrection, Good Friday is permanently fixed on the Friday prior to Easter.

Easter is steeped in the Babylonian Mysteries, the single most evil idolatrous system ever invented by Satan!

Although throughout the prophetic Scriptures, we see God declaring His final judgment upon wicked Babylon! yet, every year, Christian pastors intone "Easter" as though it were Christian. Many Independent Baptist preachers have begun referring to this day celebrating Jesus' resurrection as "Resurrection Sunday", in order to separate the day from the pagan celebration.

And so on, and so on.

Life is too deep and complex for you to condemn another man's thing. Simply face your own and leave the other man to what he has chosen to patronize.
Re: Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
Everything in this world started PAGAN.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Is "Actually" From Nigeria??? / Top 10 Scariest Traditional Practices In Nigeria!!! / God's Natural Blood Giver.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.