Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,336 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Yoruba Dialects - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Dialects (11489 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Dialects by VoodooDoll(m): 9:03pm On Nov 28, 2011
E ku se, bawo ni.

Se e fe jeun nisin?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 9:58pm On Nov 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

"e" is used in central yoruba, that much I know.

In Ekiti, I believe we use "in" as a replacement for "e".

"e" is not only used for respect, but for a group of people. example : e wa --> Shouting out to a group of children to come your way.
lol, in yagba, your 'e' turns to 'hay'. Eg. Hay ra --> Shouting out to a group of children to come your way. But its not really pronounced 'ra', like it has a 'gh' in between. I try hard to pronounce that to people, but the best reply they give is 'ra' or 'ga'.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 28, 2011
Emmyk:

lol, in yagba, your 'e' turns to 'hay'. Eg. Hay ra --> Shouting out to a group of children to come your way. But its not really pronounced 'ra', like it has a 'gh' in between. I try hard to pronounce that to people, but the best reply they give is 'ra' or 'ga'. 

Interesting. I'm even finding it hard to  pronounce the "gh" between the "ra" right now. Is it like the "GB" pronunciation? Give me an example.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Sike(m): 10:31pm On Nov 28, 2011
Wahala wa oh!
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 28, 2011
Sike:

Wahala wa oh!

Ke ti se o? ==> Ekiti
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Wallie(m): 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2011
Do other Yoruba dialects understand the "Lagos dialect" without being exposed to it?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by atakiti(m): 12:00am On Nov 29, 2011
Lowe lowe la n lu ilu agidigbo, ologbon lo ma jo, awon omoran lo wa mo. Translation pls.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 29, 2011
Wallie:

Do other Yoruba dialects understand the "Lagos dialect" without being exposed to it?

Which one is Lagos dialect?

As an Ekiti woman, I'd understand Ondo dialect more than I would an Ijebu  dialect. Infact, I dont even understand Ijebu and some part of Ondo dialect.

Even Ekiti has diff dialects. My mom's Ekiti dialect is diff from my dad's.  undecided

So I really dont know how to precisely answer your question.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by olapluto(m): 12:09am On Nov 29, 2011
atakiti:

Lowe lowe la n lu ilu agidigbo, ologbon lo ma jo, awon omoran lo wa mo. Translation pls.
Proverbially proverbially, that is how we beat the agidigbo drum. Only the wise dance to it, and only the learned know the beats.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 12:46am On Nov 29, 2011
atakiti:

The Talking Drum is sounded in proverbs, only the wise could follow its tune and the learned its meaning
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 12:51am On Nov 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Interesting. I'm even finding it hard to  pronounce the "gh" between the "ra" right now. Is it like the "GB" pronunciation? Give me an example.
try to mimick those that dont know how to pronounce 'Ra' correctly, eg. Mofe ra rice. Do you understand me now?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 29, 2011
Emmyk:

try to mimick those that dont know how to pronounce 'Ra' correctly, eg. Mofe ra rice. Do you understand me now?

No I really dont.

I've noticed that MOST Lagosians (Indigenes of Lagos) can't pronounce their "r", is it the same  thing with "ra"?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 29, 2011
What dialect is spoken in 'urban' Lagos? Is it a real historical dialect?
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Emmyk(m): 7:04am On Nov 29, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No I really dont.

I've noticed that MOST Lagosians (Indigenes of Lagos) can't pronounce their "r", is it the same  thing with "ra"?
Bingo! Thats it. Thats the way we say 'Come' in Yagba
Re: Yoruba Dialects by babaowo: 7:11am On Nov 29, 2011
aigbofa la nwo oke ifa kankan kosi nii para, translation plz
Re: Yoruba Dialects by bababuff(m): 8:54am On Nov 29, 2011
"isiro loko dido" = sexual intimacy requires mathematical accuracy
Re: Yoruba Dialects by bababuff(m): 8:58am On Nov 29, 2011
ola_pluto:

Proverbially proverbially, that is how we beat the agidigbo drum. Only the wise dance to it, and only the learned know the beats.

percipi1:

The Talking Drum is sounded in proverbs, only the wise could follow its tune and the learned its meaning

Sorry, Agidigbo is not a talking drum. [
Re: Yoruba Dialects by Kizilala: 8:58am On Nov 29, 2011
silly poster.Learn your own language first.Yoruba lap dog
Re: Yoruba Dialects by iz2much: 9:53am On Nov 29, 2011
check this out
Eruku Iyi iya e po
Re: Yoruba Dialects by gigabytes: 1:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
Ewesoo o Omo A'lare
Boun ti riooo.

How are you the Ijebus
How do you feel.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by osea4real: 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2011
Ora o, bawo ni?
su a jeun baa?
(EKiti)
Re: Yoruba Dialects by tpia1: 6:23am On Jul 08, 2014
Sike: Wahala wa oh!

true that.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by tpia5: 8:26am On Jul 08, 2014

Ke ti se o? ==> Ekiti

Ke se o.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by toyinakomolafe(m): 11:29pm On May 16, 2015
odumchi:
Ki lo se! I know there are many dialects in the Yoruba language, but I'm sure most of us have not seen or heard all of them. So in an attempt to increase our understanding of Yoruba, lets try and translate the following sentences each into a dialect.

The rules are you must use a different dialect each time until all (or as many as possible) have been used.

Hello, how are you?

Do you want to eat now?
ora, bawo ni?

suwo ti fe jeun baa? EKITI
Re: Yoruba Dialects by toyinakomolafe(m): 11:31pm On May 16, 2015
ke se o is not how are u? ke se o means what is the matter?
tpia5:

Ke se o.

Re: Yoruba Dialects by tpiaT: 11:48pm On May 16, 2015
toyinakomolafe:
ke se o is not how are u? ke se o means what is the matter?

My dear, did you check the post I was responding to or are you simply in a hurry to type?

Let me correct your own english, give me a second.
Re: Yoruba Dialects by tpiaT: 11:50pm On May 16, 2015
toyinakomolafe:
ora, bawo ni?

suwo ti fe jeun baa? EKITI

Bawo is standard yoruba.

Ba o is Ekiti dialect.

Thus bawo ni is ba o ni in Ekiti.

Se wo ya jeun, se wo fe jeun, se wa jeun (short wa, not long one), are what you should have translated.

Stop being in a hurry to type, who hired you sef?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / Igbo People Characteristics / Aju Festival Of Ugbo People. (IWA AKWA).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.