Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,861 members, 7,841,238 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) (59170 Views)

Tips To Increase Height After 18 Years. / Body Types For Females And Males / How Can A Short Lady Increase Her Height? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by jascon1(m): 10:23am On Dec 01, 2011
if they actually picked this stat. from our record, then they are correct. in the sense that, our true personal records are false. only in the hospital(some) that your real measurement is taken or considered important. and our hospital record(if only we have) remain private.
at the immigration office the height written in our profiles are random. they take no measurement to get the appropriate height of an individual. (even color of our eyes).
also, in our office files our heights are randomly written. the same thing happens in schools, license office, local government, court, banks, our associations, and during registration of any sort.
therefore, in as much as i personally refute their statistic, with the evidence they have, i cannot prove them wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by honeric01(m): 10:26am On Dec 01, 2011
And how many men did they sample from a potential population of 70 million adults?

1 Like

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by pazienza(m): 10:33am On Dec 01, 2011
They are right,most nigerian men i know are shorter than me,and i am only 6ft tall.

1 Like

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by executinal(m): 10:43am On Dec 01, 2011
How can Nigeria Male be the shortest in Africa, have you had of Pignis of Congo? they are the shortest in Africa tongue tongue tongue
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by somegirl1: 10:54am On Dec 01, 2011
I very much doubt that the average ghanaian is taller than the average nigerian man.

Oh well.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Nobody: 10:55am On Dec 01, 2011
wikitruth:

I guess it was the Calabar men as a benchmark
hahahahhahaha
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Konnektions146(m): 11:25am On Dec 01, 2011
though i am not tall but i am taller than this. i dont believe in this statistics, how dd they even research/generate this. mtcheeeeww
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by 30secs(m): 11:39am On Dec 01, 2011
I stil think am short, . though am 5ft11 sha
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by jascon1(m): 11:43am On Dec 01, 2011
@honeric01 the available becomes the resource material. anybody make up sheet about this country and get away with. we have to put the blame on ourselves. we wait for people to tell us the color of our sheet, b4 it is documented. it took foreigners to write a translatory dictionary in Igbo and other indigenous languages in Nigeria. we cant beat them with opposing fact on this, cos we haven't. it is a challenge for us to know and document basic facets about our lives and surroundings. which is an absolute doddle if we mean to do it.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by VoodooDoll(m): 11:47am On Dec 01, 2011
If you follow the wikipedia link you end up to the data.

The Nigerian data is from a research article and was compiled in Ibadan in the '90s. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/21/11/1836.full.pdf+html

The data covers 875 men and 1,056 women (very limited and since it was Ibadan, not really representative of Nigeria or even Ibadan).

Table 1—Characteristics of the study populations
Nigeria Men
n 875
Age (years) 41.5 ± 12.3
Height (cm) 163.8 ± 9.5
Weight (kg) 61.7 ± 10.8
[/b]Hip (cm) 88.7 ± 9.7
Waist (cm) 77.7 ± 9.2

Nigerian women
n 1,056
Age (years) 40.0 ± 11.3
[b]Height (cm) 157.8 ± 7.4
Weight (kg)  58.0 ± 12.4

Hip (cm) 92.6 ± 11.3
Waist (cm) 75.7 ± 10.2

1 Like

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Ekiti1: 12:14pm On Dec 01, 2011
Nooooo. Thats nt possible. Am sure its a typo or "wikipo". They mean to write "tallest" not shortest.
Lol. I disagree tho.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by truefact: 12:16pm On Dec 01, 2011
at least, i'm sure an average nigerian is taller than average ghanaian, both male and female , the list is a total false, shikina

1 Like

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:51pm On Dec 01, 2011
Nigerians are not short
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 01, 2011
UNRELIABLE. Common sense dictates that the variations say in West Africa should be minimal
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by shaama: 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2011
Gurus Globe
Im now watching over 3000 HDTV Channels on my laptop.Get yours now, Visit: www.tvapps.shaamasoft.com
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Phate07(m): 2:13pm On Dec 01, 2011
Very stupid stats. Even the Chinese are taller than Nigerians? Pooh!
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Pain(m): 2:40pm On Dec 01, 2011
What do u expect with all the wrong diet of eba, apu and bolly!
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by sebastinta(m): 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2011
very wrong stats, i wonder whr he got it from, we r 1 of d tallest if nt d tallest
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by bodsibobo(m): 5:31pm On Dec 01, 2011
Bullshit!!!!!

The simplest way to discredit this is to watch any of our soccer matches with other Afrcan nations. Nigerian men are usually of huge frames than most of them especiall Southern Africans!!!!!!

People just come unto the internet to post fake info.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by PeeBee: 5:45pm On Dec 01, 2011
@joe4christ, you didn't have to use that font.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by razznaija(f): 7:01pm On Dec 01, 2011
[size=17pt]These people are lying, i'm 5"9 and most of my relatives are 5"11 and above. [/size]
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by beespak7(m): 7:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
Wow i never knew that nigerians are now shorter than the pigmies in congo long hisssss all these fake statistics sef
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by lagcity(m): 7:48pm On Dec 01, 2011
LAI LAI! It is not possible. 5'4'' ke? lai lai
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2011
am 6 ft 2 in, i used to feel very tall but these days, i don see say height pass height, I have accepted my height as "tall" and not "very tall"
now.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by JamesDoe: 7:55pm On Dec 01, 2011
The minimum height for the Nigerian army is 1.68m which is 5ft 6 inches.

If the average height is 5ft 4 then the army will struggle.

The data is wrong as it only includes less than 1000 men and around 1000 women.

1 Like

Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by claremont(m): 9:45pm On Dec 01, 2011
The key word in the research is "AVERAGE", it means that the researchers are making conclusions strictly based on the sample size they selected. It doesn't in any way mean that all Nigerians are that short/tall, on the contrary, most Nigerians I work/play with are above 6' tall. An interesting finding all the same, I wouldn't have thought anyone would have bothered to find out the average height of Africans.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by safarigirl(f): 2:50am On Dec 02, 2011
LIE LIE LIE, we have some ☺₣ the tallest men in Africa, Ethiopian men are short, much like their marathon runners like Haile, even in Nollywood, the average height is 5ft 6", Ŝ☺ what's their point? Cos i don't agree with it
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by daroz(m): 4:33am On Dec 02, 2011
Wrong statistics. 90% of all the guys I know are above 5feet 7. Infact, no single adult male in my family is less than 6feet 1.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by Nobody: 4:59am On Dec 02, 2011
claremont:

The key word in the research is "AVERAGE", it means that the researchers are making conclusions strictly based on the sample size they selected. It doesn't in any way mean that all Nigerians are that short/tall, on the contrary, most Nigerians I work/play with are above 6' tall. An interesting finding all the same, I wouldn't have thought anyone would have bothered to find out the average height of Africans.

First, let's ask for their sample size.

"Avg" means the avg Nigerian man is short. Stop trying to sugar coat it.
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by james1(m): 6:24pm On Dec 02, 2011
Absolute nonsense!
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by sulad82i(m): 6:46pm On Dec 02, 2011
if this is true, then i thank my luck for being taller than my average 9ja man
Re: Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) by OlaPhils(m): 7:04pm On Dec 02, 2011
If Nigerian men are the shortest in the world, what will you say about the Philipinos? whom are little taller than a bottle of multina

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

HIV Prevalence Ranking: Rivers State Most Rampant, Ekiti The Safest / The Dangers Of Breast Ironing / Mordi Ononye Doing Coronavirus Screening At The Airport (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.