Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,776 members, 7,827,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare (3131 Views)

Power Generation Falls By 356.8MW In Three Weeks / GROUP IMPORTATION FOR POWER BANKS FOR RETAILERS AND USERS / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by ceomike(m): 3:32am On Nov 30, 2011
Gas Flare Drops To 19% – Nnpc

Nigeria National Pertoleum Corporation (NNPC) says  gas flare in the country has reduced significantly and stands at 19.54 per cent. The development was attributed to increased utilisation of gas for power generation, export and industrial applications.

According to the latest edition Monthly Petroleum Information (MPI) from the NNPC obtained by News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Eket, 197.62 Billion Standard Cubic Feet (BSCF) of gas was produced while 159.02 BSCF was utilised. The MPI was published on NNPC’s web portal on November 1, 2011.

A total of 38.60 BSCF about 19.5 per cent of total gas production were flared at the oil fields in onshore and offshore oil fields in Nigeria. Also 83,768 Metric Tons of Natural Gas Liquid (NGL) was produced by both the Joint Venture and Production Sharing Companies in the Oil and Gas sector for the period under review. Mobil Producing Nigeria (MPN) which operates a joint venture with NNPC accounted for 51 per cent (42,271 MT) while NNPC was credited with 49 per cent (41,047MT) of the volume.

According to the Petroleum statistics MPN flared 6.2 BSCF, about 20.7 per cent of its total associated gas. Agip however flared the highest quantity of 9.14 BSCF, 23.36 per cent of its produced gas , while Total Exploration and Production flare the least gas volume of 2.04 BSCF , 9.57 per cent in the joint venture category.

Operations at Mobil’s 1.3 billion dollars sEast Area Natural Gas to Liquids projects has reduced the oil firm’s gas flare figures from about 40 per cent to 20 per cent and improved oil recovery at the Qua Iboe oil fields.

The upstream oil industry highlight also showed that total Crude Oil and Condensates produced during the period was 72.68 million barrels, averaging 2.34 million barrels per day by Joint Venture Company, Production Sharing Contracts and Marginal Oil Field Operators.

In June 2011, global emissions from gas flaring alone were more than half the annual Certified Emissions Reductions (624 million tons) currently issued under the Kyoto’s Clean Development Mechanisms.(data as of June 2011) Gas flaring emissions in some oil-producing countries, represent about one third of their total CO2 emissions, according to Nigeria’s National Communication to the UNFCCC.

http://www.nigerians.com.ng
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/gas-flare-drops-to-19-nnpc/
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by unclenna(m): 11:41am On Nov 30, 2011
what do they want us to do? Clap for them? Abi this na job or economy wey d suppose fix. embarassed
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by PeeDaVinci: 11:49am On Nov 30, 2011
in a way, this is a good development, however, this should have been done 20 years ago, and celebrating this can be compared to celebrating a 20 year old who just got admitted in secondary school.
question on my mind now is would we have to wait for another 20 years before the flaring can be reduced to between 1- 2 %
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by buJu234: 11:52am On Nov 30, 2011
this NNPC cabal can lie,

reduced what?

when Obj was there; he gave 2008 as dead line and MPN (ExxonMobil) worked to build a gas processing plant,
but what happened when he left; they stopped, ; now u are saying 19%,

liars, ;

show me fact with structures on ground,
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by MarcAnthon(m): 11:59am On Nov 30, 2011
@Uchenna, ur ignorance is alarming. What do u think the $1.3B MPN investment in gas recovery will do? Won't that provide jobs and boost the economy? Didn't it occur to u that gas flaring is a waste of natural resources and any effort to reverse this trend is commendable? Nigeria used to flare about 70% of its natural gas. That has both economic and environmental impacts - negatively. So this is very good news my friend. From the employment angle alone, reducing gas flaring from 70 to 20% would have provided jobs for not less than 3000 people from the oil companies(must be over $5B investment) to the power generation and distribution companies to other smaller scale household gas utilization companies. Think about that. Kudos to the efforts that brought about this.
Still, better late than never.
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by markdacas: 12:16pm On Nov 30, 2011
Story!
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by buJu234: 12:34pm On Nov 30, 2011
[b]GEJ before he entered into power tot like Obama that it is just what u see in d media thats Nigerian`s problem.

but when he entered i believe he found-out that the Nigerian Cabal are even more powerful that the Mafias & drug cartels,

have u even asked urself why has GEJ not talk abt building refineries & stop gas flaring, he knows that if he does people like Dangote; Spdc etc
will organise a coup against him that will b supported by the Americans & west , why

because the western refineries will nolonger bcom productive, lower demand 4 their refined pdts,

let me tell u the truth,

THE POWER & FUEL PROBLEM IN NIGERIA CAN B STOPPED VIA :-

(1) EITHER GOVT. OR PRIVATE SECTOR BUILDING ATLEAST 6 REFINERIES IN 6 GEO-POLITICAL REGIONS, & REDUCED GAS FLARING TO JUST 50%

THEN

(2) BUILD THERMAL POWER STATIONS AT EACH OF THE SITES CLOSE TO THESE REFINERIES; WHERE BY MAKING THE GASES 4RM THE REFINERIES TO B USED TO
POWER THESE THERMAL POWER STATIONS

(3) ENCOURAGE MANUFACTURERS TO RELOCATE TO THE NEAREST POWER STATION CLOSE TO your AREA OF BUSINESS,

do u knw what u will get in return:-

(1) ENOUGH PETROLEUM PRDTS THAT NIGERIA WILL BEGIN TO EXPORT PETROL etc TO OTHER COUNTRIES ( that means more money; higher GDP)
(2)ENOUGH ELECTRICITY
(3) ALOT OF JOB CREATIONS

so can u see the solutions to the Nigerian problem,
why cant Nigerian govt. apply it; from my one views:-

(1) PEOPLE LIKE DANGOTE; OTEDOLA; ADENUGA etc WILL NOT LONGER BCOM THE ONLY MULTI-BILLIONAIRES IN NIGERIA; so they have to kick against it
(2) THEIR OFFSHORE REFINERIES ( like d ones in sao tome & principle etc) WILL BCOM USELESS
(3) THE WESTERN GOVT. WILL THEN SEE NIGERIA AS A REAL TREAT TO THEIR ECONOMY ESP. IN WESTERN AFRICAN MARKETS( because Nigeria will nolonger b buying their pdts)
(4) PEOPLE IN THE GENERATOR IMPORTATION BIZ WILL PACK UP,

I feel this is one of the reasons why they (cabals) cant allow this country to mover forward,
so they have their people in everyareas of Nigerian society,

thats why i said Nigerian corruption is too complex oo,

i dont think tht even a military head of state can solve this,

WHO ARE THOSE AGAINST THE PIB? IOCs,

o boy leave naija wahala; e dey make person dey get headche
[/b]
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by 27naira(m): 12:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
buJu-234:

this NNPC cabal can lie,

reduced what?

when Obj was there; he gave 2008 as dead line and MPN (ExxonMobil) worked to build a gas processing plant,
but what happened when he left; they stopped, ; now u are saying 19%,

liars, ;

show me fact with structures on ground,

I am surprised at the lie too. This is when it gets risky, the moment govt just throw figures to wade off their imcompetence. NNPC is just a scam!
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by buJu234: 1:51pm On Nov 30, 2011
@27naira;

my broda there are too many scam in this GEJ regime ( same with d Yar`dua regime),

what abt the new number plate have u seen dat one; what abt financial report 4rm ex. financial minister (Aganga, whatsoever); Fuel subsidy removal; current minister of petroleum
bunches of lies on d current state of the Local content, etc

they are too many;;; everyone in Power is just cooking up one or 2 lies just to deceived the masses and enrich the few ( PDP; Cabals & their God-fathers),

this is the state we are now in dis country,,

do u still remember the employment form that FRSC sold; how many did they recruit after over 50,000 forms at the rate of 1500-2000 naira per form,
what abt past Imo state govt. civil service jobs 4 1000 positions sold at 1000naira per employment form,

did the Senate ever talk abt it??

so there are many scam going on in these 2 govt. esp. this current on,

I havent told u abt Ministries that recieved Billions 4 their projects that they didnt even do, ooo

infact this country tire me, ;;

someone we say why not complain;;; O boy is like u dont wnt to see another happy day,
Nigerian SSS I fear them,
Re: Increased Utilisation Of Gas For Power Generation Reduces Gas Flare by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:06pm On Nov 30, 2011
I'm tired of all these talk and talk and running the numbers. We need action

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Charcoal Export Business / #1M In 60 Days, Selling T-shirts... Step-by-step Guide. / Anyone Heard Of D-Earnpay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.