Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,434 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized (3739 Views)

Ondo Trauma & Surgical Centre Built By Mimiko (Photos) / Save Money; Lose Weight Without Surgical Procedures / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 10:53am On Dec 03, 2011
i understand that one can contact HIV through different methods including use of unsterilized instruments.
Given that most doctors and nurses take it to mean you are questioning their expertise and responsibility when you ask certain questions,how can you be sure the instruments to be used on you are sterilized?
A close family member is going to be operated in a few days and given the state of Nigerian hospitals,she just wants to be 100% sure she won't be taking any extra problems back home with her.
Your replies would be really useful.
Mods,it'd be nice if you can help get this to front page.thanks!
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Odunnu: 12:23pm On Dec 03, 2011
I have several reasons to visit hospitals most especially to see the sick. I've come across a lot of incompetence even in our hospitals amongst Doctors and nurses. I have seen a young boy who was to take two shots of injection after 2hrs of the first, they gave him the first, dropped the syringe in the thrash and then the nurse remembered she would give the boy another shot later, you know what she did? she went back to the thrash and picked an assumed syringe used on the boy amongst others (a syringe costs less than N30) and kept on the table awaiting the boy. I was MAAAAAAAAAAAAADDD that day. Since i didnt kill that day, I bet i'll never commit murder in my life. So since then, i'm always wary of them health personnels.
In your case, going before hand and asking nicely if the items were sterilised might help, most times, the doctors dont even know if they are clean and just use as they are placed for them. Maybe you should get to know the theater head is and make friends with him/her
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 6:35pm On Dec 03, 2011
Odunnu:
the nu
I have several reasons to visit hospitals most especially to see the sick. I've come across a lot of incompetence even in our hospitals amongst Doctors and nurses. I have seen a young boy who was to take two shots of injection after 2hrs of the first, they gave him the first, dropped the syringe in the thrash and then[b] the nurse remembered she would give the boy another shot later, you know what she did? she went back to the thrash and picked an assumed syringe used on the boy amongst others[/b] (a syringe costs less than N30) and kept on the table awaiting the boy. I was MAAAAAAAAAAAAADDD that day. Since i didnt kill that day, I bet i'll never commit murder in my life. So since then, i'm always wary of them health personnels.
In your case, going before hand and asking nicely if the items were sterilised might help, most times, the doctors dont even know if they are clean and just use as they are placed for them. Maybe you should get to know the theater head is and make friends with him/her
JEEZ@bolded
thanks.we'd do our best to ask and confirm at the hospital.but the truth is the theater heads are usually very busy and the nurses are always hostile.even when they answer you,its usually in angry tones and you can't really be sure they aint just telling you what you want to hear.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Odunnu: 6:42pm On Dec 03, 2011
Is it in a private hospital?
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 9:33pm On Dec 03, 2011
^^^^no,it's a teaching hospital.if it was private,i won't be here asking this.private hospitals pay special attention and care to their patients and processes but the availability of specialsts in a teaching hospital overides that.it makes you kinda sure you are getting expertise treatment.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 10:31am On Dec 06, 2011
are there any mods in this section?
Why haven't they heeded my request.did i ask too much?
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Kx: 3:30pm On Dec 06, 2011
Government hospital??

Anyways, your friend should tip the nurses and doctors like its her birthday,
having done that, she should tell them,while smiling, to please ensure sterilized instruments only are used on her.
The tip would have "mellowed" their minds to do her bidding without picking offense.
Just remember that tips,egunje is the password to anybodies heart in any govt establishment.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by tripleace(m): 3:33pm On Dec 06, 2011
Ask politely as many times as possible those who are in charge of that procedure in the department. Let them know it is one of your main concern. Have someone who is level headed and knows his way around people to create a good personal relationship with the staff in the ward and give gifts where needed to does that matter. Put your trust in God that all is well.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by olsmade(m): 3:40pm On Dec 06, 2011
While I agree that you should be sure of what service you are paying for, I think dat dis is not very necessary especially in a teaching hospital setting. N besides, tipping or talking to people will not be of help as you will just be assured that the instruments 'll be sterilized. I have been in a teaching hospital for the better part of the last 5yrs, initially as a student n now as a doctor and I don't fink u need woRry at all. All d best with the surgery.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Outstrip(f): 4:07pm On Dec 06, 2011
Odunnu:

I have several reasons to visit hospitals most especially to see the sick. I've come across a lot of incompetence even in our hospitals amongst Doctors and nurses. I have seen a young boy who was to take two shots of injection after 2hrs of the first, they gave him the first, dropped the syringe in the thrash and then the nurse remembered she would give the boy another shot later, you know what she did? she went back to the thrash and picked an assumed syringe used on the boy amongst others (a syringe costs less than N30) and kept on the table awaiting the boy. I was MAAAAAAAAAAAAADDD that day. Since i didnt kill that day, I bet i'll never commit murder in my life. So since then, i'm always wary of them health personnels.

This is why I like to stay to myself in Nigeria. Imagine if I saw something like that. I might feed that witch the syringe. Someobody has to be cursed to pull some sh111t like that
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by bonyface: 4:26pm On Dec 06, 2011
Go to a gd hospital.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by owenueme: 4:37pm On Dec 06, 2011
Simple. Go to a good private hospital. Can't trust some govt hospitals. Workers too lazy.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by ruthkufe: 4:52pm On Dec 06, 2011
very sure,
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by tithe(m): 5:05pm On Dec 06, 2011
@Poster, you can buy a syringe by yourself before going. Also i advice u are there during the sterilization of other instruments to be sure.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 5:12pm On Dec 06, 2011
olsmade:

While I agree that you should be sure of what service you are paying for, I think dat dis is not very necessary especially in a teaching hospital setting. N besides, tipping or talking to people will not be of help as you will just be assured that the instruments 'll be sterilized. I have been in a teaching hospital for the better part of the last 5yrs, initially as a student n now as a doctor and I don't fink u need woRry at all. All d best with the surgery.
this is kinda assuring.thanks!
tithe:

@Poster, you can buy a syringe by yourself before going. Also i advice u are there during the sterilization of other instruments to be sure.
lol.this isn't possible.you'd get the lashing of your life if you by any means request to be there during sterilization
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by VoodooDoll(m): 5:40pm On Dec 06, 2011
@ Slimyem,

This is Nigeria.  Make friends with the hospital staff, bring them gifts. Smile at them, ask them friendly questions.  Ask after their health.  - All things you should not have to do but, at least your family member may have a better chance.

I have been in private hospitals, where the same staff member cleaning the toilet will wear a nurses uniform and walk into the operating theatre.  I have seen private hospital rooms where I had to clean the room and bath after a nurse claimed to have cleaned it. But you laugh with them, ask them nice questions until your family member leaves.  The hospitals I am talking about are top hospitals in Lagos where people pay serious money.

If you do agidi for them, you may win the agidi but hurt your family member.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Odunnu: 5:56pm On Dec 06, 2011
owenueme:

Simple. Go to a good private hospital. Can't trust some govt hospitals. Workers too lazy.
Private hospital nurses may not be lazy but they are mostly incompetent
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Dr9ce(m): 6:22pm On Dec 06, 2011
If u say d surgery will take place in a teaching hospital i dn't thnk u ve to worry, i'm a doctor and i work in a teaching hospital.as far as i knw,surgical equipments are sterilized by a designated unit in d hospital before reuse they are made to undergo autocleaving.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by EvilBrain1(m): 6:53pm On Dec 06, 2011
@OP

Reusing needles between patients or using unsterilized instruments is considered an abomination in modern medicine. While I want to believe that nobody does this, we all know that occasionally, crazy things happen and not all nurses and doctors follow their training. Even in the US, you'll be shocked at the kinds of things some bad egg nurses do.
Also, in a resource-poor environment, its not unusual for health workers to reuse disposables (like syringes) on the same person. Usually, its when the person can't afford to buy up to the number he needs. The practice is frowned upon, but people need to take their drugs to get better so we usually turn a blind eye as long as the health worker makes sure there's no chance that the same syringe will be used for 2 people. You best bet is to buy your own pack of needles and syringes so that you never run short.

As far as surgical instruments are concerned, you can more or less guarantee that they are sterilized. Using unsterilized instuments in surgery will surely lead to a massive wound infection and any surgeon who does so won't last long before people notice that he's killing all his patients.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by nagoma(m): 6:57pm On Dec 06, 2011
@Poster

You are right HIV transmission can occur through the use of instruments contaminated with the virus ( usually in from blood) and reused without sterilization. Although Nigerian public hospitals are really bad in medical ethics and care i find the example given of recovering a used syringe from trash & using it again far fetched and should have been reported to the Nursing or medical council. For your question - just ask them directly or use a bit of technical jargon like . "With so much power failure how do you regularly generate steam for your sterilization?" Or "  matron's autoclave cannot cope with major surgery sterilization i believe. " Or ," I really respect Louis  Pasteur , how did they perform operations without sterilization before his time? "Etc.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Wallie(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2011
I think that HIV should be the least of your problems because the virus does not survive outside a host for long. What's more likely from unsterilized instruments is Hepatitis B.*

I also think that you should be more worried about blood transfusions and you might want to secure a few pints of blood before hand. Luckily, as long as the donor is not a risk taker and the blood is fully tested by a competent lab before transfusion, chances of catching something deadly is significantly reduced. I say reduced because tests will not detect newly infected virus, which is why you want someone that doesn't engage in crazy behaviors to be the donor.

*Disclaimer: I’m not a Doctor and I could be wrong.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Machmaker: 7:51pm On Dec 06, 2011
I am also a Dr and work in both a teaching hospital and 1 or 2 private "shops"(few wl understand).The issue of sterility in a teaching hospital is nothing to worry about.A special unit with well trained personnel oversee this!, The problem is with some private hospitals where a lot goes on.There is nothing wrong in asking politely.Be sure if u go to a private clinic that u ask.Kindly request to see the sterilisation unit.Some bad eggs and eggheads do practice here! embarassed embarassed
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by nagoma(m): 8:01pm On Dec 06, 2011
CSSD building is there in all teaching hospitals and most general hospitals but many have been out of use. They will of course show her the building but that may not help. My suggestion ( above) is to start a conversation on the topic especially if she can quickly read a little about it. Alternatively she can take a health worker friend ( nurse, doctor, pharmacist , etc ) who will know the questions to ask.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by helpee(m): 9:03pm On Dec 06, 2011
U get yourself worried unneccessarily over things you can't really help. If u keep your money in the bank do you ask the manager wether they borrow your money to only those who can pay ? It is based on trust. A teaching hospital is where doctors are being trained, do you think they will now stoop so low to teach students how to operate without sterilised instruments. For your information, its cheaper to sterilise instrument for surgery cos if you don't the wound becomes infected and the hospital spend more on antibiotics and dressing materials and patient stay more on bed. Which stupid doctor will want to create extra job for himself by not sterilising instruments even in private clinics it is far cheaper and makes your job neater to sterilise.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2011
i think most government hospitals in the south-west, at least, in my little practice are ok. Some, or many private hospitals, but really, i wonder what the medical and dental council are doing!!!! i know in the rural community in the north, most of them are beyond bad. my recommendation is, if its that serious eg, surgery, best its done in a government hospital or a reputable private hospital
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by chioma134: 12:09am On Dec 07, 2011
@poster,in a teaching hospital,nurses and doctors would refuse to work rather than use unsterilized instruments. So u don't need to worry.
But I tire for naija people o. Everytime,we look for opportunity to belittle what we have. If u don't like the hospitals here,I suggest u travel out for treatment. Don't worry,we'll still have plenty customers and u can be sure u won't be missed.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 12:31am On Dec 07, 2011
nagoma:

@Poster

You are right HIV transmission can occur through the use of instruments contaminated with the virus ( usually in from blood) and reused without sterilization. Although Nigerian public hospitals are really bad in medical ethics and care i find the example given of recovering a used syringe from trash & using it again far fetched and should have been reported to the Nursing or medical council. For your question - just ask them directly or use a bit of technical jargon like . "With so much power failure how do you regularly generate steam for your sterilization?" Or "  matron's autoclave cannot cope with major surgery sterilization i believe. " Or ," I really respect Louis  Pasteur , how did they perform operations without sterilization before his time? "Etc.
i kinda like those start-up line and i sure would try work with one.thanks!
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 12:38am On Dec 07, 2011
chioma134:

@poster,in a teaching hospital,nurses and doctors would refuse to work rather than use unsterilized instruments. So u don't need to worry.
But I tire for naija people o. Everytime,we look for opportunity to belittle what we have. If u don't like the hospitals here,I suggest u travel out for treatment. Don't worry,we'll still have plenty customers and u can be sure u won't be missed.
hey!
This isn't about belittling nothing.like it or not,incompetencies abound in almost all sectors of the country so its okay for me to be a little skeptical.
I'm here to ask questions because of what i need to be made clear.you could have made your point without having to act all defensive of your dear country and btw,its my dear country too.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Nobody: 12:58am On Dec 07, 2011
chioma134:

You're being unduly defensive, and such attitudes could be fatal.

Anyone placing their lives on the line have EVERY right to ask questions, regarding sterelization, and other procedures. We can't let blind patriotism overide health and hygiene issues, that could kill you.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by kinguwem: 6:56am On Dec 07, 2011
I wish to commend on this issue as a concerned citizen and also as a medical doctor. Use of unsterilized equipment can cause HIV infection. Medical facilities usually sterilize instruments before procedures. Syringes are usually not recycled. Blood is usually screened before transfusion.
However we are aware of quacks who run health facilities. The NMA and the Ministries of Health ensure that such facilities are closed. Please report any suspected quack for disciplinary action. Be vigilant and ask questions when in doubt. Suspect practitioners who are secretive and unfriendly.
The kits used for screening of blood may not be 100% sensitive for HIV if the donor is infected and is in the window period. As a result of this we usually transfuse blood when it is absolutely necessary. They are more sensitive kits which are not readily available in most facilities.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by Reference(m): 9:24am On Dec 07, 2011
slimyem:

^^^^no,it's a teaching hospital.if it was private,i won't be here asking this.private hospitals pay special attention and care to their patients and processes but the availability of specialsts in a teaching hospital overides that.it makes you kinda sure you are getting expertise treatment.

This is highly mistaken. The standard of care in teaching hospitals exceed those of 95 percent of private hospitals. You just cannot compare the competencies of staff. They may be over crowded and stressed but chances of such mishaps are very rare.
Re: How Can You Be Sure That The Surgical Instruments to be Used On You Are Sterilized by slimyem: 9:48am On Dec 07, 2011
^^, and that's what i'm here to clarify.thanks!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does Close Up Tooth Paste Remove Black Spots On The Skin? / What Nurses Should Not Wear With Their Uniforms / Dealing With Vagina Paper Cuts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.