Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,120 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses (8345 Views)

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria / Social Media Killing Nigerian Newspapers, Say Vendors / List Of Genuine Online Businesses You Can Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by BizNews: 9:07am On Dec 08, 2011
How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses - Nairalist, Tradestable

There is no pressing issue today in the Nigeria’s online business than the entrance of the behemoth called Google. Google’s entrance has send shivers down the spine of Nigeria online businesses and seen them frantically grabbing what hitherto was Nigeria’s domain. Google is innovating by killing local businesses.

Mashable recent post has this about Google earnings, ‘…the search giant’s third quarter, they reported $5.7 billion revenue, up 7% from the same time last year. The company generated $2.54 billion in free cash flow during the quarter, bringing the company’s total cash on hand to a staggering $22 billion’.

Google came into the Nigeria’s market with a war chest of over $22bn and ferocious assemblage of the smartest to conquer the Nigeria market. It seems to have achieved that. The past few weeks has seen Google with its war chest and network of associates and strategic linkages pushing hard to take Nigeria’s businesses online whether they want it now or not. Even with a free web portal that didn’t factor in services firms but basically meant for product sales. It has taken on tradestable , nairalist and dealfish through Google Trader is just ubiquitous on the internet.

As a result, the Nigeria web designers are going jobless and what seemed an opportunity has suddenly turned into a nightmare. These web designers in the past decade stumbled on the internet; they joined the platforms and started a self-learning process that saw them becoming useful in providing I.T services which in the past weren’t in existence. They could have been cybercriminals, cyber-bullies, ‘yahoo-boys’ and thieves and others but the choose the right path.

http://businessnews.com.ng/2011/12/08/google-an-unfair-competition-and-killing-of-local-web-business/
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by JAZES(m): 10:28am On Dec 08, 2011
I have really thought about this sometimes back and my conclusion is that google is not being fair to their clients.
Truth is most of these websites that you mentioned above place adverts on google and it bothers me that they now want
to steal their ideas.

Google is already making enough money from the search engines so i don't see any reason why they should be competing with their
clients. Imagine if Guardian or any of the news media in Nigeria begins to compete with those placing ads in their papers just
because they notice their clients are making money.

Somebody needs to call google to order.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by kokorunna(m): 3:18pm On Dec 08, 2011
As long as Nigerians keep on approaching them to setup google.com.ng or youtube.com.ng or facebook.com.ng then they are killing business for web developers and small business
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by JAZES(m): 3:44pm On Dec 08, 2011
kokorunna:

As long as Nigerians keep on approaching them to setup google.com.ng or youtube.com.ng or facebook.com.ng then they are killing business for web developers and small business

I think you are right because i notice of recent that it is Nigerians that are bringing them in
but at the same time i think it is necessary that we have a body that checkmates the excesses of big
online companies like google.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Dec 08, 2011
This is like the case of going to whiteman and wanting to get them to taking the black into slavery, meanwhile, Black man sold black man into slavery.
Nigerians are calling them in to set up in Nigeria and now we wanna condemn them?
Also, most of the sites that has been mentioned, they are not buoyant enough to compete . . . .Business is not about being fair, it is about having what it takes.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by JAZES(m): 7:42pm On Dec 08, 2011
Fhemmmy:

This is like the case of going to whiteman and wanting to get them to taking the black into slavery, meanwhile, Black man sold black man into slavery.
Nigerians are calling them in to set up in Nigeria and now we wanna condemn them?
Also, most of the sites that has been mentioned, they are not buoyant enough to compete . . . .Business is not about being fair, it is about having what it takes.

My brother as much as i agree with you that its about being buoyant, my point is google is eating their cake and having it too.
Truth is google can never try what they are doing in Nigeria right now in USA, they paid millions of dollars to people in the states for using their datas without their consent sometimes back when they launch google buzz how much more when they steal people's biz model.

Lets face it, this is daylight robbery. This is stealing people's biz model and anyhow you look at it, they are dead wrong. If nairalist,dealfish or tradestable was an american company, what they will do is to offer to buy the websites not create their own.

We all know that they bought youtube and so many other successful online business model. That is the right thing to do not steal someone's biz
model just because they are using their platform to advertise.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by vladimiros: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2011
nairalist did not die

seun killed it
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by LoveDecay(m): 12:27am On Dec 09, 2011
Poster and his story no dey make sense. Google has always had the upper hand. They are the most powerful data mining corp.

It makes no sense to kill nigeria online business ,  we got google.com.ng before many countries. Nigeria is one of the largest internet user in the world. And the biggest in Africa. And, you say they want to kill. They are opening the market FYI.

This means, all those useless web design that make retro-websites will die and good, gifted and update guys in web dev can now stand a chance

check out all nigerian built websites how many are that cool. go to the webdesign forum -- see the cra[p]

One of the simplest business models in internet and media is build - expand - sell. cool
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Fhemmmy: 12:44am On Dec 09, 2011
JAZES:

My brother as much as i agree with you that its about being buoyant, my point is google is eating their cake and having it too.
Truth is google can never try what they are doing in Nigeria right now in USA, they paid millions of dollars to people in the states for using their datas without their consent sometimes back when they launch google buzz how much more when they steal people's biz model.

Lets face it, this is daylight robbery. This is stealing people's biz model and anyhow you look at it, they are dead wrong. If nairalist,dealfish or tradestable was an american company, what they will do is to offer to buy the websites not create their own.

We all know that they bought youtube and so many other successful online business model. That is the right thing to do not steal someone's biz
model just because they are using their platform to advertise.

Please note that i am on same page with you, but all i want you to know is that it is time for people like those that you mention to do business and be willing to take some risk as well in those business.

Most of the sites you mentioned, they start something and you hardly see any improvement in years, but google always looking for ways to improve.
Most classified sites in Nigeria are all about the number and money they could make, they never sat back and imagine what people really need, how many times or how much money have they spent to really market their idea and sites . . . they would rather add some google adsense for them to get some money from Google on a monthly basis.

If we are Google, we would do same, why would i wanna give some people some money for advertising with me, when i can take over the market.

Watch out, more site will be gone soon . . . we need to learn to constantly improve.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by JAZES(m): 9:41am On Dec 09, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Please note that i am on same page with you, but all i want you to know is that it is time for people like those that you mention to do business and be willing to take some risk as well in those business.

Most of the sites you mentioned, they start something and you hardly see any improvement in years, but google always looking for ways to improve.
Most classified sites in Nigeria are all about the number and money they could make, they never sat back and imagine what people really need, how many times or how much money have they spent to really market their idea and sites . . . they would rather add some google adsense for them to get some money from Google on a monthly basis.

If we are Google, we would do same, why would i wanna give some people some money for advertising with me, when i can take over the market.

Watch out, more site will be gone soon . . . we need to learn to constantly improve.

phemmy,
Lets not miss the point here. Google is into the business of search engines online and needs advertisers to
come on their platform to advertise. Remember that they make their money from advertising the services of their
clients which their clients paid for. So just because a client is running an advertisement on your platform and you see
the result they are getting gives you the right to jump into the business?

It is morally and unethical for them to do that.
I am not too sure but i think it was microsoft that bought skype. Do you think microsoft doesn't have the capacity
to start a business like skype?

If google is interested in the business model that one of their clients run on their platform, the normal thing they ought to do
is to approach them with an offer they cannot resist and acquire them.

Like i said earlier on, this is happening because this Nigeria where everything goes. Facebook sued a company in japan two years ago just
because they build a website that looks exactly like facebook, i am sure u are aware that samsung and iphone are still in court today because
samsung release samsung galaxy. Apple is claiming that samsung stole their ideas.

Now talking about improving on your ideas, the truth is every entrepreneur always gets to a point where they cant push further or let me
say a point of diminishing return. At this point, the zeal at which they started out begins to go down.

Nobody has the zeal of Ted Turner the owner of CNN when it comes to broadcasting,he was a pioneer of most things we see today
on TV. He started the first 24hrs news network at the time no one thought it was possible, infact Americans makes jest of him when
he first came up with that idea that they nick name CNN Chicken News network. Recently he has to sell the larger part of CNN to someone else
to manage.
People sell business models everyday to fresh blood who can take the business to the next level and improve upon what they have done.

Like i said before now, this can only happen in Naija.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by 4real(m): 11:32am On Dec 09, 2011
Look i am also going into online biz lets be honest google is a company that was formed to provide services and make money, google is not only into search engines, they gave there hands in almost everything now, from desktop publishing to smart phones and online markets, the truth is we really dont have any online site in nigeria who is going to give google a run for its money, most of our sites are not updated and you cant even pay online for christ sake, instead of getting worried as for me i have ear marked 2012 for my year and starting my online store and i am going to run it so hard that google will have to buy it off my hands in the sum that would make sure my great grand kids would ever lack
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by omo9ja1(m): 11:38am On Dec 09, 2011
this article has no meaning to me no offense, but you are free to air your opinion
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by abhosts(m): 12:09pm On Dec 09, 2011
Google is not killing any Nigerian Business; if anything, they are aiding the growth of the Internet Market in Nigeria.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Bawss1(m): 12:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
omo9ja1:

this article has no meaning to me no offense, but you are free to air your opinion

I thought I was the only one that noticed something was amiss here. Nowhere in the article is it stated how Google is killing Nigerian online business. So Google extends its services into the Nigerian market and our local businesses are scared? Till someone can show how Google is stopping local online businesses from making money then all this is just unreasonable FUD.

BTW I think local online business is a misnomer, how can you really be online and local at the same time?
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by worldbest(m): 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with what google is doing. They are not limited to search and advertising. Nigeria has great potentials for any web company and I would love to see more serious companies come in as far as our people are unable to create serious world class companies. When It comes to business opportunities, there is no such thing has morals (ask Mark Zuckerberg). Moreso, why would google buy any Nigerian company that has less attractive traffic statistics when they can do better in a short time.

My people, build good web applications. Target google's weakness or co-exist with them. They may at one point buy your company just to put it out of its misery. Stop wining, you cannot beat Google inc.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by segunjowo(m): 12:32pm On Dec 09, 2011
I wonder why google is doing this anyways. I wanted to create a website recently and the web designer I consulted insisted I use a .com.ng address system. I asked him why and all he could say was it´s what google wants for Nigeria. I insisted he register my address as .com, because I know from the little experience I have with web address system that .com.ng is a subdomain (a child domain) of .com address. I don´t care what google wants for Nigeria, I care about what I want for myself. If Nigerian google clients decides to deal with google, they can do it. google can´t just come around and steal the market from the likes of tradestable, nairalist and the rest without them fighting back? but then, this is Nigeria. I am sure some people are making money from this venture already and they will fight for google to remain in business in Nigeria. don´t forget, opportunity abounds in Nigeria, and each time these foreigners come, they exploit us to the fullest. remember MTN, Econet, etc, The profit MTN declares p.a in Nigeria is more than any profit declared by several countries the rest of the world combined.
let´s watch it, wait and see,
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by greenhope(m): 12:54pm On Dec 09, 2011
I wonder how google is killing any Nigeria business, Do you know how many competitors Google with Facebook joining its market recently but not withstanding google is still making its money and its market. I think our people should understand their market and focus.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by humblebee: 1:55pm On Dec 09, 2011
Google to me is not killing businesses here, i think we just need to brace up cos while we are attacking google, another search engine is building theirs, we should work on ours and make it bigger, google will not force anyone to advertise on their platform , you choose which you want and i dont think it should be a problem. I personally liked nairalist, even with the poor layout but i just wonder what went wrong. if we fail to collaborate to improve our own, we can't make any difference
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by akinalabi(m): 2:03pm On Dec 09, 2011
omo9ja1:

You spoke my mind. I read it over and over again (went to the link) and still cant make head or tail what this is about. I'm actually trying to decode the meaning through replies here.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Hodaya(m): 2:24pm On Dec 09, 2011
In China, Google had issues simply because the Chinese government realized the dominance of google will make it impossible for her citizens(local businesses) to compete.

The bulk of their(Google) profit heads back to the US meaning we are literally contributing to the growth of their economy and killing ours. How do you guys expect DealDey, Tradestable or Nairalist to compete with Google trader. It is just impossible and this is the point where the government of Nigeria should interfere. We need our local businesses to grow first at home and then grow fast enough to export their products and services to other countries.

So for you guys saying Google isn't killing our web industry, y'all are a joke and need to wake up fast.

The most popular website in China is Baidu.com(a serch engine), google is fifth and Facebook isn't even in top 100. It is high time we woke and face reality, we stand lots more to loose if the Nigerian government doesn't interfere to rescue our local ecommerce businesses. Why must a local Nigerian business rely on Google(an American company) to market/advertise in Nigeria to Nigerians? Something isn't right, a Nigerian business should dominate that market. Do you guys ever think a Nigerian company can dominate any industry in the US even if it has the capacity? Shameful!
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Bawss1(m): 2:48pm On Dec 09, 2011
segunjowo:

I wonder why google is doing this anyways. I wanted to create a website recently and the web designer I consulted insisted I use a .com.ng address system. I asked him why and all he could say was it´s what google wants for Nigeria. I insisted he register my address as .com, because I know from the little experience I have with web address system that .com.ng is a subdomain (a child domain) of .com address. I don´t care what google wants for Nigeria, I care about what I want for myself. If Nigerian google clients decides to deal with google, they can do it. google can´t just come around and steal the market from the likes of tradestable, nairalist and the rest without them fighting back? but then, this is Nigeria. I am sure some people are making money from this venture already and they will fight for google to remain in business in Nigeria. don´t forget, opportunity abounds in Nigeria, and each time these foreigners come, they exploit us to the fullest. remember MTN, Econet, etc, The profit MTN declares p.a in Nigeria is more than any profit declared by several countries the rest of the world combined.
let´s watch it, wait and see,

So how does this translate into Google killing your business?

People just like to talk even when they have no real understanding of the matter at hand.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Bawss1(m): 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2011
Again all this is [b]F[/b]ear [b]U[/b]ncertainty and [b]D[/b]oubt -FUD that is unwarranted.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Bawss1(m): 3:05pm On Dec 09, 2011
Hodaya:

In China, Google had issues simply because the Chinese government realized the dominance of google will make it impossible for her citizens(local businesses) to compete.

Not correct. Google had issues with the Chinese government over censorship. The Chinese government wanted Google to censor content in the local version of it's search engine.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Hodaya(m): 3:13pm On Dec 09, 2011
Bawss1:

Not correct. Google had issues with the Chinese government over censorship. The Chinese government wanted Google to censor content in the local version of it's search engine.

Well, they needed a way reduce their market share and that was achieved. The censorship issue was just the means to achieve that end. The bottom line is that our citizens and businesses loose more and make starting a business a more difficult in region with little or no incubators, agent investors and bank support.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by vinderbilt: 3:14pm On Dec 09, 2011
Business is not fair, so no need to complain Google is killing anyone. Survival of the fittest, that is life!
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Hodaya(m): 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2011
vinderbilt:

Business is not fair, so no need to complain Google is killing anyone. Survival of the fittest, that is life!

The implication of your perception is increased unemployment, more job seekers and lesser job creators.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by mkmyers45(m): 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2011
vinderbilt:

Business is not fair,  so no need to complain Google is killing anyone. Survival of the fittest, that is life!

Quite True, Do we even have control of our own online businesses? I mean online domains,directories etc , Anyway what do we do?
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by passyjango(m): 3:33pm On Dec 09, 2011
What Google is doing is good, they are opening up the market and creating more opportunities. Nigerian online businesses should focus on value addition. Google cannot do everything.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by WebsiteGuy: 3:53pm On Dec 09, 2011
let´s watch it, wait and see

.com.ng is not a child domain. Anyway why did your designer insist on .com.ng if you say you don't want it? Contact me nihinladejoe@yahoo.com if you need further help on web designing.
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by Fhemmmy: 4:07pm On Dec 09, 2011
The fact remains they are doing business and again, if the Nigerian online business and constantly doing things right, i am sure that Nigerians will not be approaching the giants of the net to come and help.
Also, our govt have a watch dog to make sure all activities are fair and ethical, so if they are not talking, who do we blame.
Nairaland is a sample of a great forum, but is all fair to everyone when you rub shoulder with the "moderator"? I dont see Nairaland being affected, cos the dude is doing a good job, constantly looking for how to improve

Let us be real, Nigerians wants good stuff and wanna see some changes, and if it takes the coys like google, so what do we do?
Re: How Google Is Killing Nigerian Online Businesses by yusuf01(m): 4:22pm On Dec 09, 2011
I've been monitoring the activities of Google recently and I see that it sees Nigeria as a good market place to spread it's tentacles to. First, we have Google Trader, then we have YouTube.co.ng, this is after the so called website platform for SMEs (can't remember the name now). For those of you saying it's only competition to the market, understand that entreprenuers in Nigeria don't have the financial muscle of Google, so it's killing them literarily. And for those that don't know Google; it's too aggressive. Google wants to be everywhere, it wants to control everything online. Why do you think it invested so much into Google+ after it had failed on several attempts in social media? Simply because its getting jealous of how facebook has changed the online world, it wanted a slice of the social media ads. Recently, Eric Schmidt was made to defend it's company's monopolistic operation (don't know the end of the case though). One thing clear; Google is just too aggressive, and if it doesn't care if it sweeps everybody away from the market. All it wants is total domination. I even hear it is now in the TV market; Google TV. So brace up Nigerians, these guys are coming here with everything jst to rule our market here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mini Importation- How To Sell Your Good In The US From The Comfort Of Your Room / Ifeanyi Ubah Denies Interest In Anambra Election,Tell Punch:Verify Wat U Publish / 30 Lucrative Business Ideas You Can Start Right Now In 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.