Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. (6311 Views)

Nigerian Students Rated Tops In U.S., UK Universities / Free Admission Application For Uk Universities / Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2011
I will start by saying thank you to those that responded to my initial post.

I have concern considering which of these universities will be best for me doing msc logistic and supply chain mgt considering

1) Reputation of university
2) Satisfaction students can get from the university
3) social life as well as night life.
4) Environment ie coldness, large city, friendliness
5) Part time jobs
6) Fast tracking into CIPS and CILT

The universities are Heriot Watt university, University of Northumbria and Glasgow Caledonian.

Pls you can also highlight any better university for this course. Thanks and hope hearing from you soon as your advise are highly needed.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 9:21pm On Dec 09, 2011
pls vicjustice, justwise and all those that have information concerning these uk universities in any aspect should help. Pls a brother needs your advise.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by dalebutt1: 10:16pm On Dec 09, 2011
OP, none of these universities are not top uk Unis, it depends which part of the UK you would like to study, aside Northumbria which is in England (Newcastle upon tyne) the other two are in scotland, however if i was studying in the UK I would choose to study in scotland for so many reason.

I do not know about CIPS and CILT, you should email the universities yourself to get those details, and regards part time employement you should be able to get part time job depends on your experience, you probably will have to start with a factory job or Mc donalds or some other menial jobs, after you must have gained some experience then how fast you integrate would determine your chances of getting an averagely good job, you will only be allowed to work 20hrs during term time and 40 hrs during holiday which is a set back because employers need people that could work for longer hours but then you should still find yourself a job.

In comparison to England, Scotland is a pretty cold country, North sea separates scotland from the scandinavians which makes it a really cold country. There is rascism everywhere in europe so scotland/England is no different but its at its minimal in scotland, racist attacks are very rare.

Pls you can also highlight any better university for this course

Why should someone recommend you a better university to study, you should do the trouble if you are infact keen on studying in the UK,
Goodluck
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by justwise(m): 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2011
GIO12:

pls vicjustice, justwise and all those that have information concerning these uk universities in any aspect should help. Pls a brother needs your advise.

To add to what dalebutt1 have said already. . . those universities are ok but Heriot Watt university is ranked higher followed by Northumbria, personally i don't like Scotland, so i will go for Northumbria (Newcastle), social life in Newcastle is crazy, huge student community as there are two universities in Newcastle.

You will be able to get part time job. . .20hrs a week during term time and full time during the holidays.

As per friendlessness. . . if you blend in you will make friends, don't get stuck with Nigerians alone else . . . grin grin
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 12:01am On Dec 10, 2011
@justwise, pls what are your reasons while u prefer newcastle to scotland. Thanks and hope hearing from you soon.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by OmoTier1(m): 9:02pm On Dec 10, 2011
GIO12:

I will start by saying thank you to those that responded to my initial post.

I have concern considering which of these universities will be best for me doing msc logistic and supply chain mgt considering

1) Reputation of university
2) Satisfaction students can get from the university
3) social life as well as night life.
4) Environment ie coldness, large city, friendliness
5) Part time jobs
6) Fast tracking into CIPS and CILT

The universities are Heriot Watt university, University of Northumbria and Glasgow Caledonian.

Pls you can also highlight any better university for this course. Thanks and hope hearing from you soon as your advise are highly needed.
1.Heriot-Watt, Northumbria
2.Heriot-Watt, Northumbria, Glasgow Cali.
3.Northumbria, Glasgow Cali and Heriot-Watt neck and neck
4.ALL on the north end of UK, so freaky cold! And its forever raining in Scotland.
5.Northumbria, Heriot-Watt, Glasgow Cali.
6. Heriot-Watt!

If anything, I would go for Heriot-watt. My brother finished from there and His experience was very rewarding! Heriot-watt is a first generation university and they offer scholarship in tuition discount to foriegn students.

A beg avoid glasgow! that na city center of excellence for day light robbery. Social life is very dull! Had a brother who did his MSc in glasgow after finishing his BSc in England and he hated it up there - too many OAPs
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by justwise(m): 9:36pm On Dec 10, 2011
GIO12:

@justwise, pls what are your reasons while u prefer newcastle to scotland. Thanks and hope hearing from you soon.

I can't stand Scottish accent, i know Newcastle has their own strong accent as well but that of Scotland is just up there.

Some Scottish people come across as grumpy, . . my view though.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 9:47pm On Dec 10, 2011
Pls what about University of Brighton compared to the others mentioned above.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by justwise(m): 10:59pm On Dec 10, 2011
GIO12:

Pls what about University of Brighton compared to the others mentioned above.

It ranked lower than the rest but Brighton is a fun city, night life there is out of this planet.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by joxiri: 1:51am On Dec 11, 2011
cost of living will be highre in brighton than up north
big gay community there as well if that bothers you
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 2:24am On Dec 11, 2011
Pls can anyone tell me more about Heriot Watt university and the city of Edinburgh.

Hope to hear from any experience nairalander that have first hand knowledge about the place.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by OmoTier1(m): 11:30am On Dec 11, 2011
Like I said, my brother did His BSc &MSc at Herriot-Watt university. Top notch university, brilliant facilities as it is a foremost research center for oil and gas, virtually all major UK oil giants have a stake in their labs. IT wise, MS I learnt has a base there.

As for Edingburgh, brace yourself for high cost of living, i think last ranking it was fourth highest in the UK -need to check again-, more like business city than anything else. good transport link and cheap compared to england but always cold. Got lots of Nigerians in Herriot-Watt Uni! Peter Odilli's daughter is studying Pet chemical there! Famous destination for Nigerians studying petro-chemical engineering.

I know first hand they offer foriegn students scholarship in discounted tuition. You can get lowly jobs in Edingburgh out skirts and then find your way into skilled job once you have learnt the UK way of doing things!

If you have the money 'cos Herriot-Watt is expensive (oh well its a first gen. uni so what do i expect ), then go for Herriot-Watt.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2011
@ dalebutt1, justwise, omo-tier1, joxiri and Dis guy. Thank you all for the advise and suggestions given to me partaining selecting the proper school for better reward towards my career advancement. During the course of further research, i noticed university of Glamorgan have lower tuition fees and better scholarship for international students for my intended course. Pls my great brothers and sisters in the house, i will like your contributions and general view concerning this university putting into consideration the factors stated above. Hope to hear from you soonest.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2011
@ dalebutt1, justwise, omo-tier1, joxiri and Dis guy. Thank you all for the advise and suggestions given to me partaining selecting the proper school for better reward towards my career advancement. During the course of further research, i noticed university of Glamorgan have lower tuition fees and better scholarship for international students for my intended course. Pls my great brothers and sisters in the house, i will like your contributions and general view concerning this university putting into consideration the factors stated above. Hope to hear from you soonest.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by joxiri: 4:44pm On Dec 16, 2011
I will advise you to stick to the scottish universities there is a large nigerian contingent in glamorgan
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 6:50pm On Dec 16, 2011
@Joxiri. Thanks for your smart response, am very much grateful. Pls, what other issues do you think i should considered choosing the right university and what are the primary reasons for choosing schooling in scotland.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by joxiri: 8:23pm On Dec 16, 2011
well it depends on you as a person
but cost of living should be important u can always look at rankings as well but the higher the rank of the uni the more expensive it is
cost of living is usually much cheaper up north, I dnt know much abt scotland but take sheffield and sunderland for instance rent is quite cheap in both places and they have tram systems whereby you can live out of town in a cheap accomodation and get tram to uni everyday
sunderland e.g u can get a 1 bed flat for 350 quid whilst in some place thats what you will pay for a decent double room

does being around a lot of nigerians matter to you, unis in birmingham do, so you would feel at home there
i
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by mimi234: 11:18pm On Dec 17, 2011
Dunno why no one has said this but take into consideration the scottish accent/language, i don't even no sef if its a language lolol,

anyways one of the best lecturer at my uni (which is none of the ones your considering) had a very very serious scottish accent in the beginning it was slightly (for me anyways) difficult to comprehend but by the time I finished my undergrad I can safely say his one of if not the best economics teacher I've come across. Seeing has your considering doing a masters course which is only one year do take this into consideration.

I haven't been to Scotland but from the weather forecasts the cold is ghastly up there however notwithstanding its a very cultural environment I know the Scots pride themselves when it comes to there culture - which is interesting, note I didn't say 'multi-cultural because I'm not too sure about that'
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 8:09am On Dec 18, 2011
@ mimi234 Thanks for your suggestion. Those two areas you made mention about which are weather and scotish accents are areas am also seriously considering. Pls, am at this point getting confused about which school to consider for my program being that the program is just for one year and i need to utilized every possible opportunity in having my career fulfilled. I know very well that inability to adapt to the weather and accents on time will affect my studies greatly cos the program is just a year.

Please i need more detail advise on the following university cos i lack experience concerning these schools and their environment.
Heriot watt, Glamorgan and Northumbria university.

Pls i need someone to tell me more about Glamorgan cos am considering it due to their scholarship to international students thereby reducing their tuition fees.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 10:01am On Dec 18, 2011
@ justwise i know u are someone with great experience when it comes to travelling, pls can u help me out with general overview pertaining schooling in Glamorgan with reference to previous post. I was given a conditional offer at heriot watt on friday to pay un-refundable deposite. Just want to be sue am not making any mistake of choosing the right school before paying the deposite. Secondly, am also considering scottish weather and accents if its something i can adapt to easily cos these informations were not available to me before making my application then. Thirdly, considering finance, quality of teaching, reputation of school, weather, networking, career prospect etc what will u have to say concerning Glamorgan in relation to others mentioned above. Hope to hear from u soon.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by joxiri: 12:01pm On Dec 18, 2011
as for weather, there are plenty of nigerians in scotland am sure you can cope, can i ask how many universities do your course and what your course is
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2011
@Joxiri The course is msc logistic and supply chain mgt though considering those universities that can fast track me into full membership CIPS and CILT as i already have more than 5 years experience in supply chain function. There are other schools like lancanster, Duhum and shieffied but dnt fast track also warwick, manchester, liverpool but these ones have high tuition fees compare to my budgets. Thanks for you prompt response.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by worry246(m): 2:08pm On Dec 18, 2011
You have to consider the employment possibilities from any university you choose.
Big companies wihh hold seminars at Uni to try to attract the best graduates to work for them.
They will start at the top with Oxford & Cambridge then work down the list. I doubt that they ever get to the cheapest schools or to Scotland.
You may pay more money up front but if that gets you a job then it is worth while.
Ask the Uni about their job placement sucess ib you study area. That will tell you if you are wasting money.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 3:42pm On Dec 18, 2011
@worry246 majority of the best schools in my field of study dnt fast track professionally and those that fast track do have very high tuition fees. Am looking at the possibility within the range of 13000 pounds maximum, though currently working with a multinational company here in nigeria whose policy allows up to 2 years career break.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by joxiri: 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2011
So which are the universities that fast track u to cips, Is it only glamorgan and heriott watt, are there any other unis that have fast track apart from that 2
What about university of surrey?
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by worry246(m): 5:40pm On Dec 18, 2011
Over 90 study centers fof cips in UK
http://www.cips.org/en-GB/studyqualify/wheretostudy/
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by justwise(m): 7:34pm On Dec 18, 2011
GIO12:

@ justwise i know u are someone with great experience when it comes to travelling, pls can u help me out with general overview pertaining schooling in Glamorgan with reference to previous post. I was given a conditional offer at heriot watt on friday to pay un-refundable deposite. Just want to be sue am not making any mistake of choosing the right school before paying the deposite. Secondly, am also considering scottish weather and accents if its something i can adapt to easily cos these informations were not available to me before making my application then. Thirdly, considering finance, quality of teaching, reputation of school, weather, networking, career prospect etc what will u have to say concerning Glamorgan in relation to others mentioned above. Hope to hear from u soon.

Only somebody who studied in that school can comment on the quality of teaching but you can read what ex-students said about the university by typing: glamorgan university reviews in google.

In terms of accent and weather, there is nothing you can do about it, you just have to get on with it, get your winter gears because you will definitely need them from the airport. For job prospect, nobody can guarantee you that considering the economic situation world wide, since you have a job already in Nigeria you can always go back to your job after graduation.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 2:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
Great nairalanders, its nice to know that i have brethern who are always willing to support me in advise concerning career advancement. I just got an offer from university of lancaster which is among uk top 10 university but my concern is that it will not fast track me into CIPS and CILT unlike Heriot watt university that fast track into full membership of both professional bodies. Pls, which among both universities do u think will offer me better career advancement looking at them critically and also how easy it is to gain full membership into CIPS and CILT without fast tracking root from the university. Hope for a response soon.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 4:40pm On Jan 12, 2012
@worry246 and those nairalanders interested in helping a brother should please advise on this. Hope for response soon.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by yemmyma: 5:47pm On Jan 12, 2012
GIO,

Do you currently work in Supply Chain? Do you have 3 years experience? If the answer is yes, i don't see why you won't get full membership with CIPS upon graduation provided your school has accreditation from them.

Hope that helps. But, I don't know if their experience is post Ms degree or can be pre Ms degree
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2012
@yemmy-ma, I currently work in a supply chain function and have over seven years work experience. The issue is that University of Lancaster is among uk top 10 but my chosen course is not accredited by CIPS and CILT while same course is accredited in Heriot watt university which is rate lower. Pls, somebody with better knowledge should help me out.
Re: Pls I Need Your Advise on these uk universities. by GIO12: 6:47am On Jan 13, 2012
@worry246 and other good nairalander.Thanks for your advise so far, please will like you to comment on this. Hope hearing from u soon.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OMG!!! See 19 Rare Pictures You' Ve Probably Never Seen Before / The Most Educated Sub-ethnic Group In Nigeria With Over 550 Professors / Top 10 Motivational Pictures With Deep Meaning Episode 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.