Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) (5545 Views)

Nigerian Students Rated Tops In U.S., UK Universities / Top-ten List Of Countries For Masters In Computer Science / How To Study In Europe With Free Tuition Fees For Masters Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:47am On Feb 10, 2010
Please house, i need those who have studied/know very well about these unis to leave a line or two. I plan applying for a masters degree for an IT course in our one of these unis, please let me know which i should go for with strong reasons based mainly on Academic History, Acceptability, Recognition, Links & Prospects etc.

The schools in Focus are :

Kingston University
Uni of Westminster
Middlesex Uni
London Met Uni

Your views will indeed help a confused brother. Thanks!
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 10:55am On Feb 10, 2010
IykeD:

Please house, i need those who have studied/know very well about these unis to leave a line or two. I plan applying for a masters degree for an IT course in our one of these unis, please let me know which i should go for with strong reasons based mainly on Academic History, Acceptability, Recognition, Links & Prospects etc.

The schools in Focus are :

Kingston University
Uni of Westminster
Middlesex Uni
London Met Uni

Your views will indeed help a confused brother. Thanks!

They are all shyte institutions.
7 years ago, they were all polytechnics until the secretary of Education decided to upgrade all tertiary institutions to Universities.
I wouldn't advise anyone to attend any Uni on that list.

Look for schools outside London and if you must stay in London. . . .
Imperial College
London School of Economics
University College London and
King's College should be your destination.

2 Likes

Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 11:42am On Feb 10, 2010
Thank you very much for your quick response.Which school do you recommend for an IT course outside London though i really want to stay in London.King's college was indeed my choice but it's a bit above my budget.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 4:01pm On Feb 10, 2010
Please keep them coming, i really ned every information i can get now.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 3:31pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Sauron~:

They are all shyte institutions.
7 years ago, they were all polytechnics until the secretary of Education decided to upgrade all tertiary institutions to Universities.
I wouldn't advise anyone to attend any Uni on that list.
Look for schools outside London and if you must stay in London. . . .
Imperial College
London School of Economics
University College London and
King's College should be your destination.
You are absolutely right, they are just not worth it.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:50am On Feb 12, 2010
Justwise, please can you recommend a school for IT, be it in London or Outside London.How is Birmingham City uni?
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 11:26am On Feb 12, 2010
IykeD:

Justwise, please can you recommend a school for IT, be it in London or Outside London.How is Birmingham City uni?

Birmingham City uni is not bad, is in the top 100 interms on ranking.

Fees for postgraduate is £9550 and undergraduate 8950. Their IT ranking is not that good. Birmingham Uni ranking is better.

For london, University College London and King's College are great. Though pretty expensive
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 8:55am On Feb 13, 2010
Thank you Justwise.My budget is not more than 9500 and that's why i can't even think of King's and the other big boy schools in London.Royal Holloway(Uni of London) has the exact course i want to run but their fee is wuite on the high side as expected.I think it's 14k, I am still searching seriously for a good school that is not that expensive.uni of Birmingham doesn't offer my intended course at masters' level
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 9:39am On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

Thank you Justwise.My budget is not more than 9500 and that's why i can't even think of King's and the other big boy schools in London.Royal Holloway(Uni of London) has the exact course i want to run but their fee is wuite on the high side as expected.I think it's 14k, I am still searching seriously for a good school that is not that expensive.uni of Birmingham doesn't offer my intended course at masters' level

I totally understand where u are coming from, there are other Unis outside london that is within ur budget though they are ranked between 64 to 71.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:40am On Feb 13, 2010
Thanks Justwise for your help thus far.Now i just digged out Uni of Plymouth for my exact course and i think they are fairly ranked.They are in mid-table or thereabout. Now my question is, how is Plymouth as a city? You know it's not totally about studies lol, the place you are contributes a lot too.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:42am On Feb 13, 2010
Just saw their ranking now, they are 48 according to The Guardian online rankings.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 12:08pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

Thanks Justwise for your help thus far.Now i just digged out Uni of Plymouth for my exact course and i think they are fairly ranked.They are in mid-table or thereabout. Now my question is, how is Plymouth as a city? You know it's not totally about studies lol, the place you are contributes a lot too.

U will be better off staying outside London.
The cost of living in London is ridiculous. . . . .
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 1:31pm On Feb 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

U will be better off staying outside London.
The cost of living in London is ridiculous. . . . .

Absolutely ridculous,only very loaded foreign students can afford london cost of living
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by dayo23(f): 3:32pm On Feb 13, 2010
oh i thought it open for flocking those criminals that calls themselves consultant.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:48pm On Feb 13, 2010
Thanks peeps! I am still searching seriously.Any recommendation will be highly appreciated
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 10:49pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

Thanks peeps! I am still searching seriously.Any recommendation will be highly appreciated

What IT course are u interesting in?
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:53pm On Feb 13, 2010
It has several names according to different unis.It's either called Information Security, Computer Network & Security, Network management & Security etc.So it's just about Network Security.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 10:54pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

Do people still go to Uni to study IT?
Find a computer school somewhere and enrol instead of wasting £9000 in the Uni.
£9000 per 9 months when you need less than £3000 to be a Cisco expert!!!
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 10:59pm On Feb 13, 2010
[quote ]

[quote][/quote]

There are limits to what you get from those so-called IT insttitues, moreover i have done a couple of them, even Telecoms Network management et al but i want a master's degree on Network Security.I need the Chryptography modules embedded in the course outline

1 Like

Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 11:02pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

There are limits to what you get from those so-called IT insttitues, moreover i have done a couple of them, even Telecoms Network management et al but i want a master's degree on Network Security.I need the Chryptography modules embedded in the course outline

How will this help you in the job market?
U will be surprised your Supervisor here in UK does not even have a Bachelor's degree.
Going to Uni here to study IT is a waste of time/money.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 11:03pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

It has several names according to different unis.It's either called Information Security, Computer Network & Security, Network management & Security etc.So it's just about Network Security.

Yea i'm interested in that course as well, internet security  network security, or even ethical hacking. Some Unis here offers that course, some are ranked 66, some 64 and fees are ok.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 11:05pm On Feb 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

How will this help you in the job market?
U will be surprised your Supervisor here in UK does not even have a Bachelor's degree.
Going to Uni here to study IT is a waste of time/money.

What are u talking about? Have you done it b4?

1 Like

Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 11:05pm On Feb 13, 2010
justwise:

What are u talking about? Have you done it b4?

No comment. grin
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 11:07pm On Feb 13, 2010
Justwise, now you understand where i am going to, the ethical hacking, that's it.You got it right.it's a very good course and the chryptographic aspect of it is just what makes it unique though not all unis have it in their course outline.Please recommend some of those unis u got.Thanks a lot
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 11:09pm On Feb 13, 2010
~Sauron~:

Doing Cisco gives u narrow chance in jobmarket, its straight jacket, if u got job and want to improve then doing Cisco is ok, Msc gives u more career options. There are many areas in IT, its not about browsing the internet or knowing how to post in NL

2 Likes

Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 11:10pm On Feb 13, 2010
@sauron, u make me laugh in chinese! How can your supervisor who is probably a Prof not have a B.sc in the the line? It's better i go do it at master's level than go to Aptech or those IT institutes who claim the offer ethical hacking course meanwhile they can not counter a threat to a network
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 11:17pm On Feb 13, 2010
justwise:

Doing Cisco gives u narrow chance in jobmarket, its straight jacket, if u got job and want to improve then doing Cisco is ok, Msc gives u more career options. There are many areas in IT, its not about browsing the internet or knowing how to post in NL

U dunno what you are talking about but i will allow you to wallow in your military-grade ignorance.
I am not talking about the run-of-the-mill CCNA/CWNA here. . . . .I am talking about Cisco's expert-level certifications.
M.Sc/B.Sc here in the UK is shyte compared to a Cisco expert. . . . .U will be surprised your employers don't even have a degree in any Uni but what they learnt in computer schools.

IykeD:

@sauron, u make me laugh in chinese! How can your supervisor who is probably a Prof not have a B.sc in the the line? It's better i go do it at master's level than go to Aptech or those IT institutes who claim the offer ethical hacking course meanwhile they can not counter a threat to a network

That is one of the culture shocks you will face when you come here.
It is only in Nigeria people worship University Certificates. Over here, it is what you can do.
The best networking expert in BT when i was still working for them never went to a University and he is a network guru earning 6 figures.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 11:18pm On Feb 13, 2010
[quote ]
[quote][/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more on this, funy though.I got my CCNA some two years ago and doing CCNP here is just a waste of time and money.I had planned going to India for my CCNP but then i looked at, the modules for the masters in Network Security prepares you well for CCNP cos most of the modules are CCNP syllables, so as i am rounding off with my masters, i will write CCNP immediately.More like using one stone to kill two birds.

@sauron, IT get levels, not NIIT and Aptech kinda.I did all those, some 6 yrs ago.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by justwise(m): 11:21pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

Justwise, now you understand where i am going to, the ethical hacking, that's it.You got it right.it's a very good course and the chryptographic aspect of it is just what makes it unique though not all unis have it in their course outline.Please recommend some of those unis u got.Thanks a lot

Some Unis here have it in degree level like Northumbria University but De Montford University offers computer security course, hertfordshire Uni has something like that as well.
Many ethical hacking courses are still in degree and short courses level. What u can do is, do the masters then take the short course on ethical hacking afterwards, that is what i'm planing to do as well.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 11:23pm On Feb 13, 2010
Cisco's expert level? It takes a lot to get to IE level oh.The person might not have had B.sc but ask him how much he spent going to all those IT schools and now you mention UK, i am not in the UK, these schools may be good there but here, you will see an institute that claims to offer training in CCNA, meanwhile they don't even have a single router.
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by Sauron1: 11:30pm On Feb 13, 2010
IykeD:

Cisco's expert level? It takes a lot to get to IE level oh.The person might not have had B.sc but ask him how much he spent going to all those IT schools and now you mention UK, i am not in the UK, these schools may be good there but here, you will see an institute that claims to offer training in CCNA, meanwhile they don't even have a single router.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am saying rather than wasting £9000 per session in the Unis here, you are better off facing expert-level certifications in Cisco.
With a CCIE, the sky is your foothold.
U will spend around £40,000 bagging a Bachelor's degree in IT here including other expenses. . .Why not pull that together and bag your CCDE/CCIE?
Re: Uk Universities Review(for Masters Degree) by IykeD(m): 11:32pm On Feb 13, 2010
Read the topic well sauson, it's masters degree and not bachelor's degree.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Nekede Owerri Putme Cut Off Mark / What Course Will You Choose If You Have A Second Chance? / ASUU Calls Implementation Of 2009 Agreements With Federal Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.