Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments (4451 Views)

“A Banks Man: Expect Higher Charges With Godwin Emefiele As New CBN Gov.” / CBN Reintroduces N65 Charges On Cash Withdrawals On ‘other Banks’ Atms / First Bank Nigeria Holding Company: Formerly First Bank Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by realvenc: 11:41am On Dec 11, 2011
My company (a small IT Firm) has a running contract with a Servicing company for support services.
Anytime i send in my Invoice for payment for services, i usually add VAT of 5% to the total amount on the invoice. But they will pay me less the VAT and also minus withholding TAX from the Sub Total.

So in essense, they pay me less VAT and Less with holding Tax.

Is this the right thing thing. What am i supposed to do about this.

Your responses will be highly appreciated. Also other related issues with regards to running a small coy like mine can be included.

Thanks
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by walab: 3:43pm On Dec 12, 2011
How much do they charge as withholding tax.I mean the rate.
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by realvenc: 3:58pm On Dec 12, 2011
They are charging with holding tax at 10%
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:41pm On Dec 12, 2011
I think that is the updated rate for WHT and VAT grin keep an eye out for TAX collectors AKA FIRS or they will get you grin
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by walab: 10:58am On Dec 13, 2011
@realvenc.The right thing is to pay u with VAT included on your invoice.It is wrong to pay you less VAT.But always write your VAT registration no. on your invoices.The 10% WHT is correct for Companies while it is 5% for individual,but ensure that you collect Withholding Tax Credit Note from your client.This is issued by Inland revenue.
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by realvenc: 11:04am On Dec 13, 2011
walab:

@realvenc.The right thing is to pay u with VAT included on your invoice.It is wrong to pay you less VAT.But always write your VAT registration no. on your invoices.The 10% WHT is correct for Companies while it is 5% for individual,but ensure that you collect Withholding Tax Credit Note from your client.This is issued by Inland revenue.

@Walab. Thanks for the info
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by sovpounds(m): 12:31pm On Dec 13, 2011
realvenc:

My company (a small IT Firm) has a running contract with a Servicing company for support services.
Anytime i send in my Invoice for payment for services, i usually add VAT of 5% to the total amount on the invoice. But they will pay me less the VAT and also minus withholding TAX from the Sub Total.

So in essense, they pay me less VAT and Less with holding Tax.

Is this the right thing thing. What am i supposed to do about this.

Your responses will be highly appreciated. Also other related issues with regards to running a small coy like mine can be included.

Thanks

maybe the company does not trust you to remit the VAT and the withholding tax to the appropriate authorities so they have decided to do it themselves. its still wrong.
Re: Vat Charges, With Holding Tax And The Invoice Payments by ykdot: 7:30pm On Dec 04, 2015
I just want to supplement people's response so far as regard WHT. It is very important to take a cognizance of the relevant agent you are remitting to. if it is a limited company it should be remitted to FIRS otherwise LIRS.

(1) (Reply)

Cbn New Rule: Atm Card Trapped In Other Bank's Atm Terminal Ll Be Perforated / We Make And Install Roll-up Banners / Foreign Direct Investment To Nigeria Fell By 21% To $3.5 Billion In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.