Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,275 members, 7,829,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Okocha: Yakubu Is Not The Solution To Nigeria's Attacking Problems! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okocha: Yakubu Is Not The Solution To Nigeria's Attacking Problems! (781 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Returns To Football With English Club / Yakubu Aiyegbeni With His Wife & Daughters (Holiday Pictures) / Yakubu Is Finished (His Injury) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Okocha: Yakubu Is Not The Solution To Nigeria's Attacking Problems! by Nobody: 3:52am On Dec 13, 2011
Nigeria and Bolton legend Austin ‘Jay Jay’ Okocha has spoken out against the return of Blackburn’s Yakubu to the national team despite his recent impressive performances in the Premier League.

Yakubu has scored nine goals for Rovers this season and is being considered for a recall to the Super Eagles by coach Stephen Keshi, following his absence from the squad after poor performances at the World Cup in South Africa last year.

“It is sad that at this time of our football we are talking about bringing back Yakubu when we should be looking for fresh blood to take our game to the next level,” Okocha said.

“No doubt, Yakubu is having a good time in the EPL now, scoring regularly for Blackburn. But if you ask my opinion, I would say that it is better for a coach to fail with fresh players than old ones.

“With new ones, everyone will know the coach is rebuilding a new team and the blame will not be much even if such an experiment does not work.”

Okocha also hit out at his former team-mates turned coaches Samson Siasia and Austin Eguavoen for their failure in the handling of the national teams.

“They failed and their performance was a bad reflection on the competence of other local coaches,” he said.

The 38-year-old also indicated an interest in taking up a coaching career in future.

“I said previously that I don’t want to be a football coach, but now I am seriously considering a change of heart because it would be a disservice to the next generation if I stuck to my guns not to coach,” Okocha said.

What's your take on this? TRUE OR FALSE?

source: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2557/news/2011/12/12/2799815/former-bolton-star-jay-jay-okocha-yakubu-not-solution-to-nigeria-

(1) (Reply)

Volleyball: / Okocha Lands Lucrative Deal In India / I Don’t Care About Guardiola – Mourinho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.