Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Gift Giving In Igbo Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gift Giving In Igbo Culture (3564 Views)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by Shanay(f): 5:49am On Dec 19, 2011
I am in a friendship with an Nigerian guy. His ethnic group is Ibo. He is a first year medical surgeon. I am African American with a regular paying job. We have only been friends for 1 month in a half. He had a birthday recently and I offered to by gift of cologne or shirt, which he declined and ask for expensive 300.00 USD gift.  cry Which I did not buy. Then I ask his sister What would be inexpensive gift for him for Christmas. Thinking that she is woman with family she would understand times are hard and have better understanding of inexpensive than he. She gives me ideas of 200.00, 300.00, and 450.00 USD gift. Then she request a gift for herself that cost over 100.00 USD.  cry Is this normal? This kind of behavior is frowned upon in the US. When I refuse these gifts he calls me stingy. I am the most giving person, but I feel like they are trying to take advantage of me. Am I wrong in my thinking?
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by seedord247(m): 5:58am On Dec 19, 2011
Sweery you are definitely not wrong with your thinking . . .  They are just pathetic free loader thinking of cultivating from where they didn't sow. All you need to do is to take time and study the kind of Guy he's. C'mon you said 1 month and he's demanding something 300 bucks from you. . . .Oh My gosh. . .

brb . .
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by AfroBlue(m): 6:10am On Dec 19, 2011
Dump that relationship quickly, they're users!
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by MrsChima1(f): 8:27am On Dec 19, 2011
Shanay:

I am in a friendship with an Nigerian guy. His ethnic group is Ibo. He is a first year medical surgeon. I am African American with a regular paying job. We have only been friends for 1 month in a half. He had a birthday recently and I offered to by gift of cologne or shirt, which he declined and ask for expensive 300.00 USD gift.  cry Which I did not buy. Then I ask his sister What would be inexpensive gift for him for Christmas. Thinking that she is woman with family she would understand times are hard and have better understanding of inexpensive than he. She gives me ideas of 200.00, 300.00, and 450.00 USD gift. Then she request a gift for herself that cost over 100.00 USD.  cry Is this normal? This kind of behavior is frowned upon in the US. When I refuse these gifts he calls me stingy. I am the most giving person, but I feel like they are trying to take advantage of me. Am I wrong in my thinking?

First, I want to stress to you that it has absolutely nothing to do with his ethnicity because all Nigerians aren't the same just as well as all Americans aren't the same. We need to judge each person individually which could be hard for many but that is the truth.

Secondly, You are in a friendship with a guy who is a student most likely he doesn't have a job or sustaining income so he is looking for "relief" from you. You guys aren't dating, exclusive, engaged, nor married YET he feels comfortable enough to ask you for things KNOWING your situation. That's insensitive and disrespectful.

Third, he REFUSES FREE GIFTS BY ASKING FOR EXPENSIVE GIFTS. WTF. Seriously! That's inconsiderate for your feelings and a slap in the face. He has taken you for granted that you are willing to pay for his time and half.

Fourth, the sister isn't looking out for HER BROTHER, she is looking out for HER POCKET. She has the nerve to suggest what type of gifts you should give him then IN RETURN asked YOU TO BUY HER GIFTS. WTF. Seriously! Do she have a man OF HER OWN that she should be asking? Just saying.

Fifth, the fact that you felt compelled enough to come on a world wide web and asked faceless chatters if your thoughts were right tell me that you have already made up your mind about what you should do but AFRAID to do so and need encouragements. It is good that you have recognized the bullshit and should deal with your ex-friend accordingly because if he can act like this as a friend, he would definitely act like this as YOUR HUSBAND.

Don't be a fool and there are plenty of limp noodles out there that will appreciate your cologne and shirt. Good luck!
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by Flashaldrin(m): 9:07am On Dec 19, 2011
dump him already!
make it painful!
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by slimyem: 9:48am On Dec 19, 2011
Flashaldrin:

dump him already!
make it painful!
strongly agree!!
op,you are being USED but its not an ethnicity thing.happens everywhere.heed the above sad sad sad sad
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by cynthiafred67(f): 12:46pm On Dec 19, 2011
Drop him like a bad habit.
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by bekay911(f): 1:15pm On Dec 19, 2011
Just leave d dude and walk away but.All nigerians are nt d same sha
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by AndreUweh(m): 8:28pm On Dec 19, 2011
Shanay:

I am in a friendship with an Nigerian guy. His ethnic group is Ibo. He is a first year medical surgeon. I am African American with a regular paying job. We have only been friends for 1 month in a half. He had a birthday recently and I offered to by gift of cologne or shirt, which he declined and ask for expensive 300.00 USD gift. cry Which I did not buy. Then I ask his sister What would be inexpensive gift for him for Christmas. Thinking that she is woman with family she would understand times are hard and have better understanding of inexpensive than he. She gives me ideas of 200.00, 300.00, and 450.00 USD gift. Then she request a gift for herself that cost over 100.00 USD. cry Is this normal? This kind of behavior is frowned upon in the US. When I refuse these gifts he calls me stingy. I am the most giving person, but I feel like they are trying to take advantage of me. Am I wrong in my thinking?
It is not certain that the dude is Igbo. If at all he is Igbo, do not use his case as a generalisation of Ndigbo. Any dude that behaves as such does not worth you be him Igbo or Nigerian etc.
What do you mean by the bolded?.
Re: Gift Giving In Igbo Culture by Shanay(f): 12:08am On Dec 20, 2011
@Andre Uweh He has told me that this is his first year working in his profession.  Thank you for all of your responses. I do know that people are different and I am certain that everyone in Nigeria is not like this guy and his family. I just so wanted to believe the sister when she told me that they were good people. I am a person who always looks on the bright side, but I guess I have fool written across my face. Oh well. Thank you again for all of your help, I greatly appreciate all of your comments.

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Speak And Write Urhobo Language / Why Are Ijebu People Always Stingy / Amazing Japanese Names That Are NIGERIAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.