Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,803 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose (3383 Views)

What's The Best IT Professional Course For Study In Nigeria / The Best I.T Course To Study.... / Course To Choose From. Niit Student Check This Out. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by johnpeace(m): 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2007
Good and happy day to all programmers in the house.
Actually friends, i am a computer scientist. But, i just don't want to be a "computer scientist", but a professional in that choosing field. That is the reason, why i am making this move, which i know is right, for you guys to list and explain in details some professional courses related to my choosing field, which i can start with and why i should start with it.
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by buyolala(m): 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2007
Hi Guy

I think you are both right step and channel. Though I mayn't seem to have solution to your request at this time but I will like to encourage you to look forward for numerous lists anytime from now.

Guy, know you that it requires strong determination to follow and achieve one's objective. Why?.There are 1001 reasons for not doing something but only 1 reason for doing it.

Hoping with for the countless list.

Good luck
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by johnpeace(m): 6:09pm On Oct 04, 2007
Hello friends,
"A true friend is somebody who can make us do what we can". Pls friends, i need your opinion more than ever. Try as much as possible to counsel me on the above topic.
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by Cactus(m): 9:22pm On Oct 04, 2007
you are a computer scientist and you do not know what you like.

from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_scientist

Computer science, or computing science, is the study of the theoretical foundations of information and computation and their implementation and application in computer systems.[1][2][3] Computer science has many sub-fields; some emphasize the computation of specific results (such as computer graphics), while others relate to properties of computational problems (such as computational complexity theory). Still others focus on the challenges in implementing computations. For example, programming language theory studies approaches to describing computations, while computer programming applies specific programming languages to solve specific computational problems. A further subfield, human-computer interaction, focuses on the challenges in making computers and computations useful, usable and universally accessible to people.

# 4 Fields of computer science

* 4.1 Mathematical foundations
* 4.2 Theory of computation
* 4.3 Algorithms and data structures
* 4.4 Programming languages and compilers
* 4.5 Concurrent, parallel, and distributed systems
* 4.6 Software engineering
* 4.7 System architecture
* 4.8 Communications
* 4.9 Databases
* 4.10 Artificial intelligence
* 4.11 Visual rendering (or Computer graphics)
* 4.12 Human-Computer Interaction
* 4.13 Scientific computing
* 4.14 Didactics of computer science / Didactics of Informatics
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by johnpeace(m): 9:26am On Oct 05, 2007
Thank you cactus, i am delighted for your contribution and the wikipedia link.
Still, the main question have not been answered.
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by npang(m): 12:21pm On Oct 05, 2007
Hi johnpeace, i doubt there is any such thing as a professional computer scientist because computer science as a discipline is very very wide and vast. If there is, it may take you a lifetime to achieve such. You have to choose one of the subfields of computer science and be a professional in that. e.g a professional Software developer (and again software development can still be broken down into different fields) or a professional Systems analyst or a Network/Communications expert e.t.c
So do more research on the subfields of computer science and choose one. Goodluck!!
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by johnpeace(m): 1:33pm On Oct 08, 2007
Thanks for your contribution npang. npang post made me to understand that i did not structure my topic content properly.
Actually, it has been my long time objective to be a very good programmer and i have been working towards this great and unrelenting achievement. Now, i want to put in for one professional programme, but, i don't know the actual one to start with. That is the reason why i want you friends to explain in details some professional courses related to my choosing subfield, which i can start with and why i should start with it.
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by npang(m): 3:30pm On Oct 08, 2007
Hi johnpeace, since you've decided you want to be a programmer, welcome to the club. I hope you are prepared to drink a lot of coffee and read lots of books.
I believe that by professional courses, you mean a certification. If that is what you mean, you can prepare for any certification exam of your choice and then register for and write it at the nearest prometric testing center to you. If you can't do that you'll have to go to a computer school (not just any computer school) where you'll be specifically trained for the exam of your choice. The most popular ones are NIIT and APTECH.
Popular certifications for a programmer are SCJP (First Stage for a Java Programmer), before SCJD and other sun microsystems based certifications. There is SCJA which is before SCJP but SCJA is not a prerequisite to SCJP. However SCJP is a prerequisite to SCJD and other sun certifications.
There is also MCSE which is a microsoft certification you'll need to do more research on that. I think(I'm not sure) MCSE is the prerequisite to other microsoft programming certifications. With this, you'll be developing applications based on the .NET development kit.

Others are MCDBA (Microsoft) and OCA which is a prerequisite to OCP and OCM (Oracle) for database administrators.

There are also other certifications for Web developers, sun has its (SCWCD).

Other certifications are also available for hardware technicians and Network administrators e.g A+ CCNA,
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by johnpeace(m): 1:39pm On Oct 11, 2007
Thank you npang for your concern and your great contributions. I think there are other programmers in the house, please take a step to express your feelings about this topic as npang did. Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Need Some Good Advice On Professional Course To Choose by BlkRaven(f): 4:18pm On Oct 13, 2007
Johnpeace

Asking advice on the direction you should take will leave you confused because developers here will have different views based on their own experiences. There's a lot of information about certifications and different programming languages on the internet. Why not do a bit of research on different programming languages and the market for them? It will make it easier for you to decide.

Once you've decided on the language, learn to use it properly. Programming is very involved and can be very frustrating hence the need for coffee, tea or paracetamol. The key is to learn the basics and then practise a lot using small projects and working your way up. After that, you can consider certification. Certification, without experience, has little value. There are too many certified professionals who know all the basic concepts but find they are out of their depth when it comes to solving real business problems.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

Programming: Which Is Most Lucrative? / .net Programmers I Need Your Help O / Developers Check These Freebies ASAP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.