Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,890 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa (10135 Views)

Kenyan Muslims Shield And Protect Christians In Mandera Bus Attack / The Question Most Christians Fail All The Time / Why Are Most Christians Stingy When It Comes To Church Offerings? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by rover321: 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2011

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by LagosShia: 1:44pm On Dec 22, 2011
i know for sure that Nigeria does not have up to 50% christians in its population.

understanding the demographical make up of the six geo-political zones will make you see that.one thing that is good with this report,is that the confession comes from the horse's mouth that Nigeria does not have a clear-cut christian majority as some blind and fanatical christians believe.

let us examine the geo-political zones:

South-west- Mixed

South-East-Christian Majority

South-South-Christian Majority

North-West-Muslim Majority

North-East-Muslim Majority

North-Central-Muslim Majority

out of six regions only two have a christian majority population in general.and those two happen to be the smallest regions.three regions are majority muslim.and the south-west is mixed and many including the yoruba indigenes of the south-west will confidently contend and reveal that the muslims in the south-west are more than their christian counterparts.

the only thing christians have more than muslims are places of worship.figuratively there are more churches than christians for instance as the case is in lagos.we muslims on fridays are forced to pray outside the mosques and spread our mats on the streets to pray because of lack of space.you can see that for yourself on a friday afternoon jum'ah service in Agege or Lagos Island.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by LagosShia: 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
frosbel:

How many are Born again undecided undecided

only "frosbel"-the only 'true' christian in the world! grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:39am On Dec 23, 2011
you forgot us! filthy biased source. angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 23, 2011
@lagos shia

Who told u d southwest is majority christian? U r seriously dreaming.even in regions were muslims r in d majority we still have 20-30 percent xtian population whereas in christian dominated regions u hardly find up 2 5 percent muslim population
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 23, 2011
@lagos shia

Who told u d southwest is majority christian? U r seriously dreaming.even in regions were muslims r in d majority we still have 20-30 percent xtian population whereas in christian dominated regions u hardly find up 2 5 percent muslim population
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by LagosShia: 9:07pm On Dec 23, 2011
chukwudi44:

@lagos shia

i said by observation and according to the yoruba indigenes of the South-West,we cannot even say the south-west is mixed but that the South-West is majority muslim.

the only place where you have heavy christian populations are in the two smallest regions in nigeria which are the south-south and south-east.outside those two areas,you must be seriously drunk to say that muslims make up 2-5% in any of the four other geo-political zones.
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by godspeed: 3:07am On Dec 24, 2011
lagoshia who told u that the north central are predominantly muslims?they are xtians.from taraba to adamawa,plateau to benue and gombe.these have sizable number of xtians
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by LagosShia: 11:34am On Dec 24, 2011
godspeed:

lagoshia who told u that the north central are predominantly muslims?they are xtians.from taraba to adamawa,plateau to benue and gombe.these have sizable number of xtians

i said "majority muslim" in the north-central zone.i did not say "predominantly muslim" or that there are no christians found there.
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by mandarin: 12:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
LagosShia: i know for sure that Nigeria does not have up to 50% christians in its population.

understanding the demographical make up of the six geo-political zones will make you see that.one thing that is good with this report,is that the confession comes from the horse's mouth that Nigeria does not have a clear-cut christian majority as some blind and fanatical christians believe.

South-west- Mixed

out of six regions only two have a christian majority population in general.and those two happen to be the smallest regions.three regions are majority muslim.and the south-west is mixed and many including the yoruba indigenes of the south-west will confidently contend and reveal that the muslims in the south-west are more than their christian counterparts.

the only thing christians have more than muslims are places of worship.figuratively there are more churches than christians for instance as the case is in Lagos Muslims on Fridays are forced to pray outside the mosques and spread our mats on the streets to pray because of lack of space.you can see that for yourself on a friday afternoon jum'ah service in Agege or Lagos Island.

My contest is not about what Christianity or Islam is in terms of faith or whether citizens are ,born again or not but your assertion as stated above.
Permit me as someone who ,knows Nigeria a little bit to dispute your clarifications on Geo political zones and religion prominence. The only Muslim dominated regions in Nigeria are Northwest and Northeast.In ,the Middle Belt it is not so :
Niger - more Muslims than Christians
Nasarawa - Mixed
Benue - christian dominated
Taraba - more Christians than Muslims
Adamawa - mixed(more christian and atheists)
Plateau - christian dominated
In the southwest it will be a honest confession that this region has the highest number of christian converts in Nigeria and the base of evangelical ,movements its a much christian majority zone but the culture above religion of the people relegate religion to a second level.
In the Northwest, there are still christian population in all the states and a place like southern Kaduna is christian dominated. I know christian indigents of Kano and had relationship with a few of them at a time.
The Northeast has more Christians than the northwest. Southern Bauchi, Gombe,are shining examples while Borno state has high percentage of Christians especially in southern Borno. I presently work with a Borno state man and i ,know quite a number of them.
All the noise making about Muslim majority in Nigeria are mere politics of population and religious superiority contest. While I would not want to dwell on areas of sincerity in faith I will be open to a contrary opinions on these.
Mind you, the Nigeria population figures are ruse meant to achieve political dominance of the north in resource sharing formula and i can bet it that if satellites aided computers are used in head count the outcome will stun you. Yoruba is the largest single ethnic group in Nigeria and Igbo is second largest ethnic group followed by Hausa(group not speakers or Muslims) and may be Fulani if all are to be treated separately.
Nigeria can never be sincere about this and any such result will be discarded as not reflecting growth on previous dubious data.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by saintvc(m): 3:12pm On Apr 24, 2013
Naija has more churches only

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by KnowAll(m): 2:18am On Apr 25, 2013
The town of Biu in Southern Borno State is majority christain, so is the zuru area of kebbi state and obviciously southetn Kaduna state.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by 9jakool: 6:52am On Jul 13, 2013
Christian to Muslim to muslim ratios:
Kwara- 45:55
Niger- 35:65
Kaduna- 40:60
Plateau- 80:20
Nassarawa- 50:50
Kogi- 60:40
Ekiti- 70:30
Oyo- 50:50
Borno- 20:80
Abuja- 50:50
Ondo- 65:35
Lagos- 50:50
Osun- 50:50
Benue- 95:5
Ogun- 50:50
Adamawa- 50:50
Taraba- 55:40
Bauchi- 30:70
Gombe- 30:70

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by italo: 8:48am On Jul 13, 2013
Imo - 100:0

Anambra- 100:0

Enugu - 100:0

Abia - 100:0

Ebonyi - 100:0
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by mazaje(m): 9:28am On Jul 13, 2013
As a northerner i can clearly tell you that the north central is majority christian. . .The only regain that is majority muslim in Nigeria is the north west and north east. . .Am not saying that Nigeria is a christian majority nation, just correcting lagos shia's error about the north central states. . .

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by mazaje(m): 5:14pm On Jul 13, 2013
9jakool: Christian to Muslim to muslim ratios:
Taraba- 60:40
Gombe- 50:50

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:38pm On Jul 13, 2013
italo: Imo - 100:0

Anambra- 100:0

Enugu - 100:0

Abia - 100:0

Ebonyi - 100:0

In your dream.

You'll be amazed the number of Satanists in those states.
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by italo: 6:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

In your dream.

You'll be amazed the number of Satanists in those states.

Tell me.
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by dabrake(m): 11:26pm On Jul 14, 2013
Preferably, Nigeria has the highest number of church goers in Africa. Do they exhibit the Christlike attitude amongst them?
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2013
dabrake: Preferably, Nigeria has the highest number of church goers in Africa. Do they exhibit the Christlike attitude amongst them?

Most of them do not.

smiley
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:44pm On Jul 14, 2013
mandarin:

My contest is not about what Christianity or Islam is in terms of faith or whether citizens are ,born again or not but your assertion as stated above.
Permit me as someone who ,knows Nigeria a little bit to dispute your clarifications on Geo political zones and religion prominence. The only Muslim dominated regions in Nigeria are Northwest and Northeast.In ,the Middle Belt it is not so :
Nasarawa - Mixed
Adamawa - mixed(more christian and atheists PAGANS)
In the southwest it will be a honest confession that this region has the highest number of christian converts in Nigeria and the base of evangelical ,movements its a much christian majority zone but the culture above religion of the people relegate religion to a second level.
In the Northwest, there are still christian population in all the states and a place like southern Kaduna is christian dominated. I know christian indigents of Kano and had relationship with a few of them at a time.
The Northeast has more Christians than the northwest. Southern Bauchi, Gombe,are shining examples while Borno state has high percentage of Christians especially in southern Borno. I presently work with a Borno state man and i ,know quite a number of them.
All the noise making about Muslim majority in Nigeria are mere politics of population and religious superiority contest. While I would not want to dwell on areas of sincerity in faith I will be open to a contrary opinions on these.
Mind you, the Nigeria population figures are ruse meant to achieve political dominance of the north in resource sharing formula and i can bet it that if satellites aided computers are used in head count the outcome will stun you. Yoruba is the largest single ethnic group in Nigeria and Igbo is second largest ethnic group followed by Hausa(group not speakers or Muslims) and may be Fulani if all are to be treated separately.
Nigeria can never be sincere about this and any such result will be discarded as not reflecting growth on previous dubious data.

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by 9jakool: 4:58am On Jul 15, 2013
It's amazing how many Christians are in Borno state. Out of 27 LGAs 18 northern and central lgas R dominated by the Kanuri muslim while the 9 southern lgas are inhabited by the christian dominated marghi and other small minorities. These 9 lgas are pushing for a new state called the Savanna state. Other regions that R christian dominated include mainly Gwari northern half of Niger state( southern half is mainly inhabited by the mainly muslim Nupe). Tangale in southern Gombe(form well over 25% of Gombe state pop. and R dominant in akko, biliri, Shangom, kaltungo & Balanga lgas- 5/11 tot LGAs). In Bauchi christian dominated lgas and groups are the sayawa in Taf Bal & bogoro, tangale in alkeleri and the afizere in toro. In fact the capital Bauchi and Gombe are cosmopolitan cities just like Kaduna and the religion is more of a 50/50. I can analyze other states if u guys want smiley wink
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by tbarrister(m): 7:53am On Oct 18, 2014
[quote author=9jakool post=16772772]Christian to Muslim to muslim ratios:
Taraba- 55:40
Gombe- 30:70

guy u must be high for saying dat xtians re more dan muslims in kogi state, in d kogi central senetorial district muslims are d majority with a ratio of 70:30, in d eastern senetorial district we have a slight muslim majority of 55:45, in d western senetorial district we have a christian majority of 70:30(smallest district)...check 4 facts b4 spilling trash
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by elmourtal(m): 3:01am On Feb 21, 2015
[quote author=mandarin post=15394971]

Nasarawa - Mixed
Adamawa - mixed(more christian and atheists)

@mandarin
you are lying there are more muslim in adamawa than christian infact 70-30

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by tbarrister(m): 3:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
[quote author=elmourtal post=30931803][/quote],,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Nw and Ne is clearly dominated by muslims, The Se and Ss is clearly dominated by Christian s. we all know that the Nw and Ne is far more populated than the Ss and Se. Then the southwest is splited by both Muslims and Christians 50/50 and some elders in yorubaland will tell you that the muslims are more. The last zone which is also known as Nc is equally splitted between Muslims and Christians, lets take it state by state. plateau is Christian dom..., kwara is Muslim dominated, nasarawa is a kind of split, kogi is Muslim dominated, benue is Christian dominated, niger is muslim dominated.....LETS BE TRITHFUL , MUSLIMS ARE MORE THAN CHRISTIANS IN NIGERIA, ALTHOUGH THE DIFFERENCE IS CLOSE
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by Unequallyoked: 5:59am On Nov 11, 2015
You forgot Plateau which is predominantly Christian. The South West is not equally split, as it is subject to the largest evangelical movement in West Africa. There are more converts to Christianity in the South West than any region in West Africa. Let's break it down, in the South West: Lagos is predominantly Christian (let's not forget, Igbos make up 30% of the population in Lagos already) leaving the remaining 70% of Yorubas and other tribes, out of which at LEAST half are Christian, making Lagos AT LEAST 65% Christian. Oyo is 50/50, Osun is slightly more muslim dominated, about 55/45, Ondo is Christian dominated 60/40, Ekiti is Christian dominated 70/30, Ogun is Christian dominated (but only slightly) 55/45. The Southwest is therefore Christian dominated (Lagos's large population and foreign influence gives it an edge). The Middlebelt is Christian dominated, Plateau, Benue and Kogi are majority Christian. Even Nasarawa can be said to have a Christian Majority, but only slightly, but for the sake of argument we'll say its mixed. That leaves only Kwara with a muslim majority population in the middlebelt. Read any history book, even Lamido Sanusi's essays refer to the middlebelt as the "Christian middlebelt". That means out of 6 zones, 4 are Christian dominated. And let's not forget the fact that Taraba in the North east is Christian Dominated, Adamawa is half/half and Borno has a 30% Christian population (the marghi).
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by fuckerholic(m): 3:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
LagosShia:
i know for sure that Nigeria does not have up to 50% christians in its population.

South-west- Mixed

the only thing christians have more than muslims are places of worship.figuratively there are more churches than christians for instance as the case is in lagos.we muslims on fridays are forced to pray outside the mosques and spread our mats on the streets to pray because of lack of space.you can see that for yourself on a friday afternoon jum'ah service in Agege or Lagos Island.
Stop saying what you don't know just to praise Moslems.south east and south south are 95% Christians,southwest are 60% Christians, north central are 40% percent Christians,others are 80 percent.now tell me how Tue moslem are the majority. And who told you southwest has more Moslems than Christians ? Try and always be saying why you know.
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by fuckerholic(m): 3:57pm On Nov 28, 2015

How many are Born again undecided undecided
Meaningless and nonsensical !
Re: Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa by praxs(m): 12:12pm On Jan 06, 2016
[quote author=elmourtal post=30931803][/quote]
You are the biggest liar on earth.am from adamawa state.. Adamawa state is a state one cannot authoritatively state the religion with the highest number of people. Coming from northern adamawa, we have: madagali, michika, maiha, and mubi... First three are christian dominated while mubi is mixed. Central adamawa: hong, gombi and song are christian dominated while girei, yola north, yola south and fufore are muslims dominated. Southern adamawa: demsa, lamorde, numan, ganye, jada and toungo and christian dominated while mayo belwa is muslim dominated. Do the mathematics yourself

(1) (Reply)

Another One: Redeemed Pastor Arrested Over N8m Fraud / 20 Richest Pastors In The World Updated (with Seven Nigerians) / Death Is Not The Worst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.