Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,227 members, 7,839,205 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? (6128 Views)

99% Of Nigerians Can't Pronounce Leicester And Tottenham - See How To / 'Am And I'm': Many Nigerians Can't Differentiate Between The 2 On Social Media / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Dec 23, 2011
Is it just being able to read english?
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Orikinla(m): 6:56pm On Dec 23, 2011
The figure is actually more than that.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by sebastinta(m): 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2011
Okija_juju:

22 Million of them are from Ekiti State or have Ekiti blood in them! angry

guy most of our prof nd doc r from ekiti, stop sayin stuffs u dnt knw
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Afam4eva(m): 7:08pm On Dec 23, 2011
sebastinta:

Give proof and stop making bogus statements.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Sike(m): 7:19pm On Dec 23, 2011
wazobia-ng:

it should actually be more than 44 million
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by SaintTee: 7:48pm On Dec 23, 2011
44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ?

Can't read what?

alphabets?
in what language?

Assume they can't read in English language

What's the breakdown on state level?

etc, etc
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 23, 2011
Omo men, on the contrary, i believe the number is a conservative figure, in d core northen states, a significant percentage of those there can't speak or hear english (d most they understand is 'cut and join hausa'). D states in question are zamfara,sokoto, kebbi, borno and some other northern states. Frm their perspective, not being able to communicate in hausa makes you the 'illiterate'. I never believed this until i got a first hand encounter (all thanks to nysc).
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Ayoolu12: 8:56pm On Dec 23, 2011
Judging by the grammatical blunders regularly made by nairalanders (the people one would assume are educated), i totally believe this.
Let us not forget our 'first lady' either. She is a raw illiterate.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by AreaFada2: 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2011
Poster,

Do they even know the population of the country?

A place where ordinary census cannot be reliable.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Roland17(m): 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2011
Everytime am unlucky to read comments from Nairalanders, am tempted to believe its worse than 44 million.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by KokoBeware: 9:33pm On Dec 23, 2011
it is faaar more than 44million oooooo, faaarrr moooreeeee
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by AjanleKoko: 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2011
32% of 160 million = 51.2 million.

That's how many people in Nigeria can't read, according to various sources.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Nobody: 2:56am On Dec 24, 2011
It's going to be definitely more than that!
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 24, 2011
80%(my guess) of that should come from Northern part of the country.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by omoredia: 6:57am On Dec 24, 2011
That's the Truth and honsestly I think the real figures are higher than that. Its very common in the north to see people come into the banking hall but can't read and write.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by chibest5(m): 7:59am On Dec 24, 2011
Is more than that trust me
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by ceejayluv(m): 10:47am On Dec 24, 2011
1 out of 4 Nigerians is illiterate? Of course its believable, An illiterate cannot even read and write his mother tongue. We are better off than Sudan where 3 out of 4 are illiterate!
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by EfeEkarume(m): 2:27pm On Dec 24, 2011
Yes of course!
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by dasparrow: 3:10pm On Dec 24, 2011
Yes, I believe this stats. Its probably even more considering that there are Nigerians who passed through the Nigerian educational system and yet cannot comprehend what they read. Just look at Nairaland for instance. So much back and forth bickering and verbal abuse just because people will not take their time to read and comprehend what a fellow nairalander is pointing out.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by austin2002: 2:54am On Dec 25, 2011
Did you count the cattle rearers in the north (muslims) as those that can't read? If so you made a huge mistake because it's their nature not to read nor write.How could you count them as humans? Look at their behaviour and tell me the difference between them and bush animals,even bush animals respect one another. You are Insulting the real humans in nigeria if you count them as people who don't know how to read nor write.It's about time we recognize that these parasites in the north called muslims are not part of human race.Just come closer to them and see the stench coming out of their bodies and tell me if there is any human race that smell like that. It's time we Isolate them and put them where they belong.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by sniperwolf(m): 7:36am On Dec 25, 2011
What % of 150million is 44million. That is about 30% I think I believe that stat
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by aurenflani: 8:19am On Dec 25, 2011
there are a lot of ppl in d north who read & write in arabic script. also all over the different regions in nigeria, u will find quite a lot of ppl who could read and write in their native languages using d roman script especially among christians.

this so called 40 million illiterates could be maybe 10 40 is too much.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 25, 2011
If you have ever been to Northern Nigeria, then you will know that its quite true. 90% of Northerners aren't educated or have little or no formal education.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by jude2011: 11:47am On Dec 25, 2011
Here in eastern nigeria the literacy level is about 95% or more for those below 50yrs of age. For those that are above 50yrs it should be around 75% .most people that can't read in the east are the old people who dwell in the rural areas. This figures are for those that can read english. For those that can read igbo, the % is higher e.g my great grand father and most old men in my village know how to read and write in igbo but when it comes to english, they can barely read a sentence.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Oletunow(m): 7:14pm On Dec 25, 2011
If you add the ones on Nairaland who can't read, that number is grossly underestimated,

You will notice those in this category on Nairaland by their replies and responses, Their replies are totally unrelated to the subject or topic of discussion and it makes one concludes that, they could not read, sarcasm implied, smiley

Your reaction or reply to this post will determine if you fall into this category, so unload the return fires,
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:14am On Dec 29, 2011
sebastinta:

Professors of what?! angry

How has their professorship stopped Ekiti State from training Primary school girls to be Pros'titute just to increase their internally generated revenue?!

Abeg drex go far jor! angry

afam4eva:

Give proof and stop making bogus statements.

Dont mind the Ekiti Professor of illiteracy. angry
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Natasha2(f): 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2012
Nice cheesy so over 100 million can read
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by EfeEkarume(m): 11:40pm On Jan 04, 2012
Natasha,,:

Nice cheesy so over 100 million can read
. . . and am part of the 100 million. How cool.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Akolawole(m): 12:41am On Jan 05, 2012
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Natasha2(f): 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
EfeEkarume:

. . . and am part of the 100 million. How cool.
ta sharrap who tell you grin why MTN dey cheat you if you sabi read? grin grin
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by EfeEkarume(m): 1:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
Natasha,,:

ta sharrap who tell you grin why MTN dey cheat you if you sabi read? grin grin
Em. . . Uh. . . I don't really know.
Re: 44 Million Nigerians Can't Read ? by Natasha2(f): 1:41pm On Jan 05, 2012
^ehen you see yourself? you sef dey among the 44 million , e be like say na you be the 44th million person grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Inspirational Stories That Touch The Heart / Horrible World Histories In Pictures II / Nigerians In University Of Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.