Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO (13803 Views)

NYSC Rejects Illiterate Graduates Of Enugu University (ESUT) / 10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / Rebecca Chinyelu-Chukwuanukwu (UNIZIK) Wins Unesco Prize In Geneva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by HungerBAD: 4:01am On Oct 02, 2015
The result of a survey tracking illiteracy has revealed that about 65 million Nigerians are still illiterate, National Programme Advisor on Education, UNESCO Regional Office in Abuja, Dr. Mohammed Alkali, disclosed.

Dr. Alkali, who made this known during an advocacy visit to Governor Aminu Bello Masari, said people can be lifted out of poverty if they are empowered with basic reading skills.

According to him, “just nine months of literacy increases a person’s earning by up to 10 per cent.”

He also revealed that UNESCO in collaboration with National Mass Education Commission (NMEC) embarked on a project to revitalize adult and youth literacy in Nigeria with the target of reducing Nigerian illiteracy rate by between five to six million youths and adults.He, however, pointed out that the Non-Formal Education sector has suffered very low funding and political will in Nigeria, urging states to fulfill their mandates by recruiting and paying UNESCO trained facilitators.

He also revealed that UNESCO in collaboration with National Mass Education Commission (NMEC) embarked on a project to revitalize adult and youth literacy in Nigeria with the target of reducing Nigerian illiteracy rates by between five to six million youths and adults.

Dr. Alkali further stated that the project was developed with “strategic partnership initiatives sharing responsibilities between UNESCO, Federal Government, states and local government areas to achieve the target results.”

The Advisor, however, lamented that mass literacy facilitators in Katsina State were the least paid in the country with remuneration below the national benchmark of N7,500 per month for part-time facilitators.

Responding, Governor Aminu Bello Masari ordered an audit of the mass literacy facilitators and pledged that none of the actual facilitators in Katsina would henceforth be paid less than the national benchmark.

The governor, who extolled the ability of adult education to increase a person’s quality of life and skills acquisition, promised to ensure that local governments improve their funding of non-formal education and fulfill their roles for the success of the project.
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/65-million-nigerians-still-illiterate-says-unesco/

2 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by HungerBAD: 4:01am On Oct 02, 2015
I first said to myself, there is no way UNESCO can be right on this.

And then i logged on to Nairaland, and started reading all the write ups of Wailers, and i am like, you know what UNESCO?you might just be right on this one.

37 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by BALLOSKI: 5:20am On Oct 02, 2015
Gadamit! I can see illiteracy as displayed on NL on a daily basis, so I don't doubt this.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 5:27am On Oct 02, 2015
nd so
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tyson99(m): 5:29am On Oct 02, 2015
hmmmmm
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by BALLOSKI: 5:45am On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:
I first said to myself, there is no way UNESCO can be right on this.

And then i logged on to Nairaland, and started reading all the write ups of Wailers, and i am like, you know what UNESCO?you might just be right on this one.
wailers have chronic amnesia and agnosia, their problem is beyond illiteracy.

10 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Decibel: 5:59am On Oct 02, 2015
Out of the 65 million, North has 35million, SW has 25 million while Eastern region has 5million in that order. The rating from UNESCO is based on certificate racketeering(Oluwole &Toronto) in the South West in addition to almajiri system in the North.#Fact

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Decibel: 6:02am On Oct 02, 2015
Meanwhile Fulani herdsmen on rampage vow to abduct more Obas in Yorubaland.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Sanchez01: 6:10am On Oct 02, 2015
All these international organizations and their lust for unverified statistics. It still baffles me on how they drew their conclusion based on survey tracking, with the mention of Katsina as probable case study.

65 million is really on the high side and it's indeed scary... Hungerbad and Balloski, the wailers you're referring to are not stark illiterates, some, though not all are educated but not enlightened. A case study of a chief wailer accusing the opposition for chasing him from Facebook, whereas he was only asked by Facebook to verify his accountundecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by khassy(m): 6:31am On Oct 02, 2015
what's their source cus the didn't interview me abi dem interview anybody here to know if he intelligent or not undecidedundecided

in other news
Today's my mom's birthday

can I get some likes for her

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by InvertedHammer: 6:32am On Oct 02, 2015
Of course.

Nemzyseries is a good example
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by SouthernBreeze(m): 6:32am On Oct 02, 2015
Of Course. A good example is the auto pilot of arewastan grin

5 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by JumpingChicken(m): 6:32am On Oct 02, 2015
Change is here.

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Republlican(f): 6:32am On Oct 02, 2015
That's a big lie embarassed tongue

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Dominionng(m): 6:32am On Oct 02, 2015
UNESCO got it wrong this time. Just 65million?

7 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by khassy(m): 6:32am On Oct 02, 2015
booked
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Akinz0126(m): 6:33am On Oct 02, 2015
Speaking of which north and East are the majority grin

5 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Elummah(m): 6:33am On Oct 02, 2015
I'm sure a greater percentage of this figure consists of people from the North.
NB: I am a Northerner but we must stop pretending as if all is well with us.

7 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by politricks: 6:33am On Oct 02, 2015
Decibel:
Out of the 65%, North has 35%, SW has 25% while Eastern region has 5% in that order. The rating from UNESCO is based on certificate racketeering(Oluwole &Toronto) in the South West in addition to almajiri system in the North.#Fact
Is 65 million same as 65%?.

Dont smoke mosquito coil again you wouldn't listen.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Amack(m): 6:34am On Oct 02, 2015
In wailers voice, Jonathan is clueless.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 02, 2015
VERY TRUE☆ 95%→ Fulani and Muslims (abbokkis, mallams, truckpushers)

5%→ BUHARI

7 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 02, 2015
MANY OF THEM ARE IGBOS. THAT'S WHY THEY WANT BIAFRA SO IGBO CAN BE THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGE SINCE THEIR TONGUE IS TOO TWISTED WITH AKPU AND OGBONO SOUP undecidedWHICH MAKES ENGLISH SPEAKING SO HARD FOR THEM.

EVEN THEIR SUICIDE MISSION LEADER NNAMDI KANU PRONOUNCED OIL AS "OYEL" ON RADIO BIAFRA undecided

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Sweetguy25: 6:35am On Oct 02, 2015
So that means about forty to almost fifty percent of adult Nigerians are illiterate? Lol. Is there any modicum of hope for this country called Nigeria?
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by anonimi: 6:36am On Oct 02, 2015
Thanks to the NEGLECT of education by APCheat leaders in particular such as Buhari.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2066181_109315253423544626188034164921766947151069n_jpegacb37fe73c651f856a3f80eea0cac2b7

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Sultanchidi(m): 6:36am On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmmm c wahala, they might be right

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by kulbethrand(m): 6:36am On Oct 02, 2015
Sanchez01:
All these international organizations and their lust for unverified statistics. It still baffles me on how they drew their conclusion based on survey tracking, with the mention of Katsina as probable case study.

65 million is really on the high side and it's indeed scary... Hungerbad and Balloski, the wailers you're referring to are not stark illiterates, some, though not all are educated but not enlightened. A case study of a chief wailer accusing the opposition for chasing him from Facebook, whereas he was only asked by Facebook to verify his accountundecided
i'm a wailer but this got me laughing. baaaadt mouth

2 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Jarus(m): 6:37am On Oct 02, 2015
How many of them are on NL? grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by kenoz(m): 6:37am On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by kurt09(m): 6:37am On Oct 02, 2015
Okay
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by kurt09(m): 6:38am On Oct 02, 2015
khassy:
booked
Elummah:
ok
Mprepz:
do
uselessgoat:
b
uselessgoat:
b
Okay
Dominionng:
UNESCO got it wrong this time. Just 65million?
Okay
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by kelvyn7: 6:38am On Oct 02, 2015
I didn't even know we have gotten dis far. so more than half of the population is educated. It wasn't so in the last decade

3 Likes

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 02, 2015
So far they can speak their dialect, to me they're not illiterates

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

National Open University(noun) Admission First List Is Out: / Name Your School And Course. / JAMB: Police Smash Akwa Ibom Syndicate Attempting To Hack Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.