Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,649 members, 7,958,965 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 08:23 AM

Moving From Here To There – Pt2 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Moving From Here To There – Pt2 (856 Views)

Necho,the Demon Unleashed. Pt2 / Moving From Here To There - Pt1 / Moving Objects In The Body & Strange Afflictions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving From Here To There – Pt2 by mute4real: 2:06pm On Dec 23, 2011
In the first part of this note I shared with you how procrastination steals dreams. I narrated the story of a friend who always has dreams for the future but has never taken a step towards actualizing any and how many of us fall into that category. I also proffered some ways of how you can start something of interest to you while retaining your regular job.

In this part we are going to go a little deeper on the steps to take in moving from here to there. “Here” being your current reality which may or may not be comfortable but at least you know what you are dealing with. And “There” being a place of uncertainty, only existing in the mind. So what do we need to do to get us up on our feet and start on the journey of moving from here to there?

Destroy where you are

As long as you see where you currently are as the best you can have, you will never find a reason to move from here to there. People who take the plunge to uncharted waters always found a reason why where they were was not good enough, no matter how rosy it looked.

You must also find reasons why where you currently are is not good enough. The reason could be that you want another car so your wife does not have to be going for her post natal checks by public transport, you want a higher position at work so you can buy that dream car, whatever; I’m not really interested in that. Bottom line is that you find a reason why you need not rest on your oars.

Apart from having reasons that are of the future, you could also find reasons from the present situation. The current level of injustice in the system could motivate you to go into politics so you can promote bills that will fight imbalances in the system. You could even find a reason from your past. Like an experience you had in your childhood and you don’t want to see other children go through such experience.

Destroying where you are can take from seconds to days to months to years. It differs from person to person and depends on the dream the person wants to achieve.

Pay the fee

Nothing is free in this world. If you are getting anything free it is because someone else has paid for it. In his book Something For Nothing, Brian Tracy quoted Thomas Jefferson who said, “The worst day of a man’s life is when he sits down and begins thinking about how he can get something for nothing.”

In moving from here to there you must come to terms with what it is going to cost you. In this age only a very few people are willing to pay the price. I always say “if you pay the price you will earn the prize.” When things are offered for free, a lot of people gather around, but the moment a fee is attached, it becomes a different ball game.

I learnt this for myself when I decided to facilitate an online School for Personal Leadership. I had been having lots of appreciation as well as coaching request from people who read my notes. And a lot of people do read them. But it will be shocking to know that when I attached a fee to my school, less than thirty people enlisted for it.

It is easy to say you are going somewhere in life, but if you are not willing to pay the price, then you are really going nowhere. The costs of moving from here to there are personal leadership, self improvement, trainings, skills acquisition, participation in social groups, volunteerism, etc. And all of them cost time, effort, and money. So, if you think you are going somewhere and you are not willing to give up some of your time, effort, and money, think again.

Embrace change

There are different levels in life. The dynamics surrounding each level differs from one level to another. As you journey from here to there you will have to believe certain things you never believed before, accept certain things you rejected before, become friends to certain people you criticized before, and a whole lot of other changes. Sometimes these changes are difficult, but then how badly do you want to get there? Even some of your values may have to change.

Until you climb the platform your scope of vision is limited. Have you ever wondered why it is that when a junior staff becomes a management staff everything about him changes? His language, his opinions, his behaviors, even the colleagues he used to hang out with, changes. You cannot be in the conference room with the mindset of the production floor. I have been in both worlds, so believe me when I tell you, you must make that transition.

So, if you really want to move from here to there, know that you must shed away certain things that you loved before. And this includes people. When seasons are changing, trees shed their leaves. You may no longer be able to buy mama put anymore no matter how much you love it. Now, that was just a joke. But on a more serious note, be willing to embrace change as you move from here to there.

Repeat the process

The beauty of life is in the journey, not the destination. Every “There” is a goal you aim to achieve. And every “Here” was once a goal. So, what is “There” today will become a “Here” tomorrow. When you arrive at “There,” it becomes a “Here” for you. So you have to create another “There” for yourself and repeat the process all over again.

It is this continuously moving from “Here” to “There” that makes you enjoy the journey of life. This is when you can say you are really living. There is more to life than bathing in a swimming pool. It’s good. I love swimming, but there’s much more to be done.

Now, it takes personal leadership to be able to go through these steps successfully because while they may just look like mere steps to be applied, the process itself is not funny. That is why I encourage people to get involved in Personal Leadership. I run an online Personal Leadership School and in the present session that is currently on, people from four different countries in two continents are participating. The lectures are explosive and right from the first week testimonials were already coming in.

School for Personal Leadership is not free but the value far outweighs the fee paid. Two days after my first lecture in the present session one of the participants credited my account with NGN20,000. Mind you, registration for the current session was NGN5,000. That alone is proof that what I write has power backing them. Other participants were sending me testimonials of how the lectures changed their outlook on life within days of being in class. So I encourage you to participate in the next session. The procedure will be in the footnote of this note.

Let me end with a quote by Abraham Lincoln “And in the end it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.”

If you loved this note why not drop a word or two, send me an sms, or give me a call. I’d love to get your feedback. But above all, share this note with a friend. Knowledge increases when it is shared. Thank you.

Mute Efe,
+234-803-874-9796

Warning:         All articles written and published by Mute Efe are the intellectual property of the writer, reproduction of the writer’s articles either in part or whole must be done with the prior consent of Mute Efe.
Re: Moving From Here To There – Pt2 by mute4real: 7:57am On Dec 28, 2011
Hey,

I am relatively new here. Is there something I am supposed to say or do before people post their response to the note? Is there like a passcode or something? A little help will go a long way.

Thanks.
Re: Moving From Here To There – Pt2 by collinsfbi(m): 9:41am On Dec 28, 2011
Hey,

I am relatively new here. Is there something I am supposed to say or do before people post their response to the note? Is there like a passcode or something? A little help will go a long way.

Thanks.

Definitely, nothing like passcode, pple only reply to posts they feel concern about, in short replying to posts is of individual willingness and nothing more.

Gbammmmm over and out
Re: Moving From Here To There – Pt2 by iice(f): 3:12pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nice write ups you have.

I don't like procrastinations. I'm not really a planner either. I kinda like to do things on the spur of the moment because that works for me. If i plan, it doesn't always happen. So if i have an idea, i go with it. But no matter how flighty that may sound, it usually comes with/from sound judgement.

I do so agree that the beauty of life is the journey and not necessarily the destination. Yet some go through the journey without really experiencing it. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Living In Crazyland / Untold Story Of A Dark Nation- A Must Read Novel! / Twinkle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.