Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

What Language should I start with? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Language should I start with? (2063 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Language should I start with? by brightk(m): 8:29pm On Dec 25, 2011
HI NAIRALANDERS,

i want to begin a career in programming. but i choose for now  to design standalone apps(desktop with or without database) for system, final year school projects,  create server/client based (simple and advanced, cross platforms, web servers app) .Not bad if am dreaming big, i have the patience and the zeal.

what language do i choose from

i just dived into visual basic 6.0 since but piple are saying its obsolete.

so many languages are on the move. i just want to be acquainted with the best programming language that will stand out in all ramifications, something that will never fade away.

Thanks and God bless
Re: What Language should I start with? by Fayimora(m): 10:05pm On Dec 25, 2011
Use what is necessary! Use what YOU THINK works best. How do you know what works best? You research and READ! 99.8% of threads like this don't help. They always end up in some parallel world, if you know what i mean

To get you started, I wouldn't really advise visual basic. Not because I don't program in VB but because it is windows centric. You most likely would want to develop cross platform apps.

Goodluck!
Re: What Language should I start with? by kodewrita(m): 7:19am On Jan 02, 2012
if u already have a lot invested in vb6 you don't have to lose all that. just move over to vb.net and master it. I believe in seeing people gain mastery in one language before moving around. once that is done, other languages are a cinch.

besides your focus on desktop apps suggests you are interested in Rapid Application Development for business purposes. Vb6 and Vb.Net are not the most elegant languages around but they are unquestionably the most productive. more RAD apps are done in some VB variant than other languages and there are oil companies running on VBA-powered spreadsheets.

gain mastery, then explore everything else (you won't be a great programmer or a useful one if you can't write at least in one scripting language e.g python/php/ruby and one crossplatform language e.g java)

all the best in your programming career.
Re: What Language should I start with? by megatran(m): 8:26pm On Jan 02, 2012
bright thanks a lot for ur post,,,i happen to be wearing the same size of ur shoe as i am also interested in getting aquainted with programming. u knw wat struck me was dat u reside in warri and fortunately i am also a resident of warri. 08134502092 is my number,,if u dnt mind i would want u to tutor me
Re: What Language should I start with? by Nmeri17: 4:23pm On Nov 09, 2015
I hear the Dothraki language is the fad deez days
Re: What Language should I start with? by danidee10(m): 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2015
I would say python...because if u learn it l, you can use it for a wide range of applications, desktop apps, mobiles, functional programming, Web design, os scripting all you need is to master various frameworks that do what you want. I personally don't like vb sha
Re: What Language should I start with? by isocroft: 5:15pm On Nov 12, 2015
Look, i have been coding and building stuff since 2008. I have also taught people how to code. One thing i can tell you (in my experience) is that people are

1) attracted to this career path (software development) primarily because of financial rewards and not because of passion. Much of the talk i have
heard is (which programming language will make me money very fast?). This attitude is bad as most often than not, you will be half-baked in the essentials of the art of programming/software development (NOTE: software development isn't programming as the former involved a whole lot more than the latter). I hope you have the passion. If you do i bet you that the financial rewards will come!

2) There is a big difference between programming and being skillful in a particular programming language (Java, PHP, C#.NET e.t.c). Programming involves a very good understanding of how 3 things work together to act on computer instructions.
1) Processor Chipsets
2) Memory
3) OS

For instance, when i talk about "variable scoping" or "memory leaks". These are not things that are taught extensively by any programming language, but are used by most if not all programming languages.This is the reason why one person can learn as many as 20 computer languages
without getting confused. Why? because at the heart of developing (creation), running (giving life to programming code so it works) any software, you find the 3 things i listed above being part of the whole process. "variable scoping" have to do with execution stacks created in the RAM monitored by (a CPU component called) the stack pointer and "memory leaks" have to do with RAM memory used to store variables and not reclaimed or emptied for reuse. These things i have just talked about are really important to understand to become a really good programmer. I am not asking you to go into Embeded Systems programming but i am saying you grasp the basics of these component processes.

Also, you need to know stuff like flow of control, data structures and algorithms (data strutures: ARRAYS, TREES, B-TREES, BINARY HEAPS, LINKED LISTS, QUEUES, DEQUEUES, STACKS) and algorithms (Levensthien distance, binary search, backtracking, depth-first search). Knowing these things helps you get ahead when you start learning any language. For me, i will advise you start with Java It will discipline you on certain basics and allow you fuller understanding of things in general

You can find more here on http://blog.coolandcodes.com and also follow up here @coolandcodes or @chritz_n

1 Like

Re: What Language should I start with? by pythonkid(m): 1:31am On Nov 14, 2015
I'm going to give you steps i think will good for you ;

1. Start with python and know the basics ( just the basics , as it will give you insights to other programming languages )
2. Learn a low-level programming language like "C" and know the concepts
3. you can learn php for server side programming

Note: I mentioned C because it is best for memory management but far harder than most high-level programming languages.
Re: What Language should I start with? by kamajor: 6:58am On Dec 30, 2015
bros am a robot programmer i use c++,simatic manager,epas4 and twincat there are many languages for your stage i recommend u start with something small

(1) (Reply)

Resources To Learn Recursion In Java / My Php Diary / HELP!!! I Need Help On Installing "MECHANIZE" For Python..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.