Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,822 members, 7,813,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market (1078 Views)

Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market / How Relevant Are "Business Intelligence" IT Persons In The Nigerian Job Market? / Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by ManOMan8: 8:45am On Dec 26, 2011
I am looking for help and advice on how to best approach the Nigerian job market. I have a master of science and work in consulting in the US (major Big 4 firm) with about 13 years of total experience. I am moving back home for family reasons and I am trying to find a job in Lagos. Tried the multiple sites out there but no luck in cracking the "code". Can anyone provide help or advice?
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by yamakuza: 9:53am On Dec 26, 2011
We all do, actually.

Unfortunately, the HR Managers and/or recruiters on here dont talk much.

It would be helpful if they could all help crack the code.

ManOMan8:

I am about to start the salary discussion with the Lagos office of a large global consulting firm and need to know what's the minimum salary to ask for.
I have a Master on Science in Information Technology and I am a Senior Manager currently leading a practice in the US and I have over 12 years of experience in the US.
What is the minimum amount to have a good life in Lagos?
How much does a Manager in Consulting make in Nigeria? and a Senior Manager?
Keep in mind, Senior Manager ( the level before Partner) is equivalent to Senior Director or Vice President level outside of of consulting.
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by AjanleKoko: 10:03pm On Dec 26, 2011
^^
Looks like he cracked the code already.
Or maybe he keeps making offers that simply have to be refused wink
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by yamakuza: 10:18pm On Dec 26, 2011
Looks that way, but thats just one offer so far.

I remember you talking about sending 3000 applications in the UK. The surprising thing is you get responses to all of them, even if negative.

Unfortunately, Nigeria isn't wired like that. Maybe thats the code he/we need(s) to crack?

A structured application and recruitment system, as found abroad.
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by ManOMan8: 11:00am On Dec 27, 2011
that was supposed to be a transfer from the US and it doesn't look like it will pen out. So will appreciate some serious replies to my posting,
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by yamakuza: 12:11pm On Dec 27, 2011
^ maybe u need to throw more light on what you mean by "cracking the code" ?

Or maybe highlight the challenges u've encountered and we can throw some light?
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by DisGuy: 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2011
Networking will surely crack the code especially for experienced folks

and also Face to face as in boots on ground, emails and phone calls dont cut it

take some time off visit get some contacts then follow up aggressively
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by AjanleKoko: 9:20pm On Dec 27, 2011
yamakuza:

Looks that way, but thats just one offer so far.

I remember you talking about sending 3000 applications in the UK. The surprising thing is you get responses to all of them, even if negative.

Unfortunately, Nigeria isn't wired like that. Maybe thats the code he/we need(s) to crack?

A structured application and recruitment system, as found abroad.

You actually don't get responses to all job applications in the UK. Not so different from Naija.
You can also send up to 3,000 job applications in Nigeria. Just buy Guardian every Tuesday for one year wink
Re: Need Help/advice In Penetrating Nigeria Job Market by ManOMan8: 6:42pm On Dec 28, 2011
yes, I guess all I have been doing so far is emailing my resume and reaching out to friends. But it doesn't look like this is getting anywhere.
1- I am being told more and more that I am over qualified and people are afraid that I will take their spots once I get in. How do I pass that hurdle of overqualification?
2- I am also being told that for resumes like mine, I better work with headhunters. But I don't know any in the Lagos area. Few name suggestions will help.

(1) (Reply)

Am Being Underpaid As A Web Developer / 10 Tips For A More Successful Small Scale Business / Thread Closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.