Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,009 members, 7,821,544 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

The 'other' Side Of The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 'other' Side Of The Bible (770 Views)

What's Your Favourite Verse(s)/chapter(s) In The Bible? / Decoding The Visions In The Book Of Daniel (Islam in the Bible) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 'other' Side Of The Bible by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2011
Don’t cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)

People who are blind or lame cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)

If you find out a city worships a different god, destroy the city and kill all of it’s inhabitants… even the animals. (Deuteronomy 13:12-15)

Kill anyone with a different religion. (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)

For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death. (Exodus 35:2)

If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his Cores, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity. (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

If anyone, even your own family suggests worshipping another God, kill them. (Deuteronomy 13:6-10)
Re: The 'other' Side Of The Bible by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
Not only did the biblical god sanction slavery, he laid out rules on slave acquision, treatment and ownership.
Exodus 21:1 “These are the laws you are to set before them:
Hebrew Servants
2 “If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything.3 If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.
5 “But if the servant declares, ‘I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,’ 6 then his master must takehim before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life.
7 “If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free asmenservants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith withher. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rightsof a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

20 “If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, 21 but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.
Lev 25:1 The LORD said to Moses on Mount Sinai…
Lev 25:39 ” ‘If one of your countrymen becomes poor among you and sells himself to you, do not make him work as a slave. 40 He is to be treated as a hired worker or a temporary resident among you; he is to work for you until the Year of Jubilee. 41 Then he and his children are to be released, and he will go back to his own clan and to the property of his forefathers. 42 Because the Israelites are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt, they mustnot be sold as slaves. 43 Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fearyour God.
44 ” ‘Your male and female slavesare to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.
47 ” ‘If an alien or a temporary resident among you becomes rich and one of your countrymenbecomes poor and sells himself to the alien living among you or to a member of the alien’s clan, 48 he retains the right of redemption after he has sold himself. One of his relatives may redeem him: 49 An uncle or a cousin or any blood relative in his clan may redeem him. Or if heprospers, he may redeem himself. 50 He and his buyer are to count the time from the year he sold himself up to the Year of Jubilee. The price for his release is to be based on the rate paid toa hired man for that number of years. 51 If many years remain, he must pay for his redemption alarger share of the price paid for him. 52 If only a few years remain until the Year of Jubilee, he is to compute that and pay forhis redemption accordingly. 53 He is to be treated as a man hired from year to year; you mustsee to it that his owner does not rule over him ruthlessly.
54 ” ‘Even if he is not redeemed in any of these ways, he and his children are to be released in the Year of Jubilee, 55 for the Israelites belong to me as servants. They are my servants, whom I brought out of Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
The bible permits slavery with direct commandments from God. The rules are somewhat complicated, with differences between Hebrews vs. gentiles and men vs. women. The verses above are not all the rules on slavery, but they are direct quotes from God if you believe the bible to be literal.
For Hebrews, slavery was a way to pay off a debt. After 6 years of work, a Hebrew slave would be set free in the year of Jubilee – aslong as the slave is male. A father has the right to sell his daughter into slavery. Exodus 21:7-11 describe rules for selling a daughter as slave, but the verses seem to interchange female slavery and marriage.
Exodus 21:20-21 permit slave owners to beat their slaves so that they are unconscious for 2-3days!
Leviticus 25:44-45 describes how gentile slaves are to be treated, which is very different from Hebrew slaves. Gentile slaves are not to be set free in the year of Jubillee but are passed from father to son as an inheritance.
Re: The 'other' Side Of The Bible by Image123(m): 2:46pm On Mar 22, 2012
What's 'other' about it? The Bible is the Bible, the Word of the living God.
Re: The 'other' Side Of The Bible by Whymee: 4:34am On Mar 24, 2012
These of cause are not the words of God, but words of historian, every historians revelation according to Christian have been guided by HOLY SPIRIT.
HOLY SPIRIT INDEED.
Re: The 'other' Side Of The Bible by Callotti: 4:45am On Mar 24, 2012
I don't care about the one side I am familiar with. . .not to mention the 'other' side.
Good riddance to both!

(1) (Reply)

Is God Omnipotent? / Can Somebody Tell Me The Meaning Of The Name Of This Church? / If There Is No God....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.