Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,710 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Addicted To Music - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Addicted To Music (3768 Views)

Effects Of Reciting The Qur’an In Comparison To Music / How Can I Stop Listening To Music? / Do You Still Listen To Music? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Addicted To Music by IbroSaunks(m): 7:09pm On Dec 28, 2011
Islam has influenced me in many positive ways behaviorally. however, ever since i found out music is haram, its been a constant battle trying to comply. Iv quit at least 3 times, deleting all the music on my phone and my laptop. After a while though, i find myself listening to music again and downloading all the same songs i deleted. Its really difficult, because music has a deep root in my life. I have songs for every moment!! Even my signature is a song!

How do i erase it from my head? How do i stop listening to music?? Is there anyway to cure my addiction Help me nairalanders!!
Re: Addicted To Music by deols(f): 7:40pm On Dec 28, 2011
hmmn! its pretty hard changing some habits. I wish I can help but will wait for other people's responses.
Re: Addicted To Music by IbroSaunks(m): 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2011
I quit everytime. Last ramadan, i lasted like the first 15 days! But sometimes, due to many stuff, i feel sad and all, and i just find myself singing a particular song in my head, and then i REALLY want to listen to it, and then i find myself listening to it, and then i feel much better!, and then i feel guilty a while,
Re: Addicted To Music by tbaba1234: 8:25pm On Dec 28, 2011
Baby steps, I have given up music and have no urge to return, But you have to start gradually,

Move to nasheeds with music, then those without music; Remember that the speech of Allah is still the best, If you like a reciter's voice, Download his recitation,

Make dua and with time, you will look forward to listening to Quranic recitation.
Re: Addicted To Music by olawalebabs(m): 8:41pm On Dec 28, 2011
This thread will be beneficial to me.
Re: Addicted To Music by IbroSaunks(m): 8:49pm On Dec 28, 2011
olawalebab:

This thread will be beneficial to me.
do u like music too?
Re: Addicted To Music by olawalebabs(m): 8:55pm On Dec 28, 2011
Capital YES, it serve as my 'drug' whenever am working.
Re: Addicted To Music by IbroSaunks(m): 9:12pm On Dec 28, 2011
olawalebab:

me too, sad . our society has a large role to play too. How can i help it when i hear it everyday around me? Classmates, roommates, every other time!!
Re: Addicted To Music by tbaba1234: 9:24pm On Dec 28, 2011
olawalebab:

Switch to nasheeds or Quran recitation
Re: Addicted To Music by olawalebabs(m): 9:44pm On Dec 28, 2011
I have Zain Bhika collections which i listen to.
Re: Addicted To Music by tbaba1234: 9:49pm On Dec 28, 2011
olawalebab:

I have Zain Bhika collections which i listen to.

Make the intention, make dua and work towards it, Take it one step at a time,
Re: Addicted To Music by maclatunji: 9:57pm On Dec 28, 2011
tbaba1234:

Baby steps, I have given up music and have no urge to return, But you have to start gradually,

Move to nasheeds with music, then those without music; Remember that the speech of Allah is still the best, If you like a reciter's voice, Download his recitation,

Make dua and with time, you will look forward to listening to Quranic recitation.

This is the best advice. However, I think with all of the lewd and useless lyrics in most songs nowadays, it should be easier to delete half of the songs on your phone at the moment without suffering from too many withdrawal symptoms. It is the songs that seem to make sense that are more difficult to let go. I have done a good job of not having songs on my phone over time. It is the radio that is my arch-tempter coupled with my need to be up-to-date with the latest news (it is my job that has limited my listening to the BBC World Service).

This topic is a popular one with some of us giving-up on living a life completely devoid of Music but effort should be made to limit it to the inescapable.
Re: Addicted To Music by IbroSaunks(m): 10:15pm On Dec 28, 2011
The main problem for me is regression. iv done it all before, replacing all the rock songs with yusuf islam and zain bhikha. Itll all be ok for a while, then all of a sudden i go back. how do i stop going back?
Re: Addicted To Music by maclatunji: 10:31pm On Dec 28, 2011
IbroSaunks:

The main problem for me is regression. iv done it all before, replacing all the rock songs with yusuf islam and zain bhikha. Itll all be ok for a while, then all of a sudden i go back. how do i stop going back?

Do a little research on the lifestyles of some of your favourite rock bands and see if on the day of judgement you would want to be placed in the same category with them based on how they live. That should make you somber enough to start distancing yourself away from them by not listening to their Music. You should also find something permissible to replace the Music. Try poetry, blogging or writing in addition to tbaba's advice of course.
Re: Addicted To Music by IbroSaunks(m): 10:36pm On Dec 28, 2011
owk, i do blog sometimes,
Re: Addicted To Music by tbaba1234: 10:40pm On Dec 28, 2011
check out this thread for poetry: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-812617.0.html

Take it step by step,
Re: Addicted To Music by tpia5: 11:53pm On Dec 28, 2011

ever since i found out music is haram

what type of music is haram.

i'm not aware of any islamic country where there's no music at all.

so, the scholars in such places are aware there's music there i'm sure.

op are you referring to western music, nigerian music, all music or just non-islamic music.

or you mean hiphop.
Re: Addicted To Music by tpia5: 12:00am On Dec 29, 2011
Permissibility of music

The question of permissibility of music in Islamic jurisprudence is historically disputed.

Some jurists of the classical era of Muslim scholarship opined that music is forbidden both by the Qur'an and by the Hadith. The chapters of Luqman and Al-Isra in the Quran in particular are used to support this view.[1] Those who do not allow music also believe that Muhammad censured the use of musical instruments when he said: "There will be among my Ummah people who will regard as permissible adultery, silk, alcohol and musical instruments".[2] Islamic scholars of the past who agreed upon this include Abu Hanifa, Al-Shafi'i, Malik, Ahmad bin Hanbal, Al-Tabari, Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Al-Bukhari, Al-Tirmidhi, Al-Nawawi Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Tahawi, and Al-Qurtubi.[citation needed]

Others, however, permit music stating that the prohibition of music and instruments at the time of the Prophet related to usage—at the time the polytheists used music and musical instruments as part of their worships. Those who saw the permissibility of music include Abu Bakr ibn al-Arabi, Ibn Sina, Abu Hamid al-Ghazali, Rumi, Ibn Rushd, and Ibn Hazm. Al-Ghazali also reports a narration from al-Khidr, where he expressed a favorable opinion of music, provided it be within the usage limitation of virtuous areas.[citation needed]

Many modern Muslim interpretations allow music and singing under certain conditions, mainly if they do not encourage committing sinful acts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_music
Re: Addicted To Music by tpia5: 12:08am On Dec 29, 2011
history of the guitar

While the precise lineage of the instrument is still unclear, historians believe that the guitar is the descendant of several ancient instruments. These ancient instruments from which the guitar has evolved include the Greek kithara, gittern, lyre, European and Middle Eastern lutes, and the Spanish vihuela. The guitar is first mentioned in literature in the 13th century. The poem El Libro de Buen Amor by Juan Ruiz describes two early instruments, guitarra morisca and guitarra latina.

Allí sale gritando la guitarra morisca,
de las bozes aguda e de los puntos arisca.
El corpudo laúd que tiene punto a la trisca,
la guitarra latina con ésos se aprisca.

“Then came out, with a strident sound, the two-stringed Moor’s guitar,
High-pitched as to its range, as to its tone both harsh and bold;
Big-bellied lute which marks the time for merry, rustic dance,
And Spanish guitar which with the rest was herded in the fold.”[1]

What still remains unclear is whether the guitar is indigenous to Europe or rather it was brought to Europe by Arabs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_classical_guitar
Re: Addicted To Music by olawalebabs(m): 5:49am On Dec 29, 2011
Tpia it'll be better you take a spectator or an observer stand on this issue instead of 'spaming' the thread.
Re: Addicted To Music by deols(f): 6:40am On Dec 29, 2011
tpia@:
what type of music is haram. i'm not aware of any islamic country where there's no music at all. so, the scholars in such places are aware there's music there i'm sure. op are you referring to western music, nigerian music, all music or just non-islamic music. or you mean hiphop.

Not the singing itself but the use of musical instruments. You are permitted to sing lullaby for example and poetry is allowed. poetry or any other form of singing(even without the instruments) but with unIslamic contents are also to be avoided.

Now, if only u wld stop talking of Islamic countries. differentiate Islamic teachings from Muslim practices and maybe, u'd understand.

and about d guitar, I once read about the musical notes starting from Arabs. understand again, they could av had arab names wvout being Muslims and may  have been Muslims without a vast knowledge of  Islam. Also,  dey could just av bn scientists whose works were later modified to produce musical Instruments.
Re: Addicted To Music by tpia5: 1:14pm On Dec 29, 2011
^They were the muslim moors who invaded and conquered europe.

As to their level of religion, well i think the fact that they brought islam to europe, speaks for itself, so i dont think one should assume they werent devoted enough just because they introduced a musical style which took root and grew.

Even hiphop is said to have some origins in arab street dancing.
Re: Addicted To Music by tpia5: 1:18pm On Dec 29, 2011
Olawalebab

is what i posted not relevant to the topic?

Why are you calling it spamming?

Learn to be tolerant of others plz.

God created all of us differently and did not make everybody the same.

That should tell you he wanted humans to learn to work with each other's differences.

You should ask yourself why God did not make us all clones of one another- would that have been impossible for him to do?
Re: Addicted To Music by mukina2: 1:24pm On Dec 29, 2011
Re: Addicted To Music by deols(f): 6:55pm On Dec 29, 2011
tpia@:

^They were the muslim moors who invaded and conquered europe.

As to their level of religion, well i think the fact that they brought islam to europe, speaks for itself, so i dont think one should assume they werent devoted enough just because they introduced a musical style which took root and grew.

Even hiphop is said to have some origins in arab street dancing.

so are u suggesting we take their words over those of the prophet for the reason above??

mukina2:

you all should read this : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-148527.0.html

thanks Mukina, checking it out already.
Re: Addicted To Music by Araboy(m): 8:30pm On Dec 29, 2011
There is no clear cut religious fatwa (ruling) that singing and music are not permissible in Islam

Since long time it has been subject matter of controversy wether music is halal or haram

Islam is a broad religion with people of broad minds you guys with extreme views and salafi aqeedah should stop meddling

in fatwas about music

Music  is a sign of civilization and progress of any society according to Muslim scholars Ibn Rumi and Ibn Al arabi

I  would rather listen to Adewale Ayuba or Terry G than   those Arabic Anasheeds
Re: Addicted To Music by deols(f): 8:43pm On Dec 29, 2011
u av come again. well, whenever anything gets controversial, u'd agree the best thing is to leave it abi??

there are many hadiths against the use of musical instruments. It sure doesnt fall under things that come up wv civilization especially when it was condemned by d prophet himself.

Scholars do make mistakes and they make it knwn in their various works that when we find out at later times that they've been wrong, we should leave what they said and go for what the prophet said.
Re: Addicted To Music by olawalebabs(m): 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2011
@tpia that's one thing with 'ahlu kitab' always reading meaning to issue and being suspicious. Am only expressing my sincere opinion and nothing more. My being tolerance does not mean we'll always agree on issue. Anyway, is a 'free' world.
Re: Addicted To Music by Araboy(m): 9:34pm On Dec 29, 2011
Here some proof from hadith that music is halal

Aisha says  the Habasha (Abyssinians ) were performing in THE MOSQUE on the day of eid I looked over the Prophet's

shoulders and he lowered them little so I could see them until I was satisfied and left this hadith was related by Ahmed

Albukhari and Muslim

another hadith narrated by Aisha " That once Abu bakr came to her on the day of eid while The Prophet with her and there

were two girls singers with her singing Abu bakr says twice "Musical instruments of Satan " but The Prophet said leave

them Abu bakr every nation has an eid (festival) and this day is our eid  related by Albukhari

The Famous Muslim Scholar Ibn Hajar wrotes in his famous book Fath Albari that Music is permissible and back up his claim

by many sahih Hadiths BTW this book is a reference to Many Muslim Scholars in matters of Fikh and Ahkam
Re: Addicted To Music by tbaba1234: 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2011
Araboy:

Here some proof from hadith that music is halal

Aisha says  the Habasha (Abyssinians ) were performing in THE MOSQUE on the day of eid I looked over the Prophet's

shoulders and he lowered them little so I could see them until I was satisfied and left this hadith was related by Ahmed

Albukhari and Muslim

another hadith narrated by Aisha " That once Abu bakr came to her on the day of eid while The Prophet with her and there

were two girls singers with her singing Abu bakr says twice "Musical instruments of Satan " but The Prophet said leave

them Abu bakr every nation has an eid (festival) and this day is our eid  related by Albukhari

This does not prove the permissibility of musical Instruments, The prophet allowed it because it was Eid celebration. The is way more evidence showing that certain musical instruments and types of songs(those containing vain speech) are impermissible.

Evidence of prohibition in the Qur’aan and Sunnah:

Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…”
[Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The interpretation of the Sahaabah and Taabi’in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur’aan)?

And you laugh at it and weep not,

Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”

[al-Najm 53:59-61]

‘Ikrimah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that al-sumood [verbal noun from saamidoon, translated here as “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)”] means “singing”, in the dialect of Himyar; it might be said “Ismidi lanaa” [‘sing for us’ – from the same root as saamidoon/sumood] meaning “ghaniy” [sing]. [/b]And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)” – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

[b]“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

Shaykh al-Islam (Ibn Taymiyah) (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This hadeeth indicates that ma’aazif are haraam, and ma’aazif means musical instruments according to the scholars of (Arabic) language. This word includes all such instruments. (al-Majmoo’, 11/535).

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The view of the four Imaams is that all kinds of musical instruments are haraam. It was reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that there would be among his ummah those who would allow zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments, … None of the followers of the imaams mentioned any dispute concerning the matter of music. (al-Majmoo’, 11/576).

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The four madhhabs are agreed that all musical instruments are haraam. (al-Saheehah, 1/145).

Do you want more evidence
Re: Addicted To Music by Araboy(m): 10:47pm On Dec 29, 2011
Another rant from another fanatic

If the above hadith from Sahih Al  Abukhari doesn't prove the permissibility of music for you what else you want ?

If the Prophet allowed Aisha to listen and watch a group of African men singing and dancing is not enough to convince you ?

you suggested the four Madhabs of the sunni school agreed that music is harm yet you still didn't bring any proof from other

schools except the Hanbali one which is  exclusively followed in Saudi Arabia

Ibn teymiyyah views are at the origin of the terrorism in  the Muslim word and his famous Fatwa Mardini has encouraged

muslims terrorists to kill innocent people even in their place of worship

I have no respect for Ibn teymiyyah or the wahhabi doctrine these people are nothing but bigots extremists terrorists

No one in Africa follows their Hanbali Madhab or care about their views except boko haram murderers and few hardcore

African salafis
Re: Addicted To Music by tbaba1234: 11:52pm On Dec 29, 2011
Araboy:

Another rant from another fanatic

If the above hadith from Sahih Al Abukhari doesn't prove the permissibility of music for you what else you want ?

If the Prophet allowed Aisha to listen and watch a group of African men singing and dancing is not enough to convince you ?

you suggested the four Madhabs of the sunni school agreed that music is harm yet you still didn't bring any proof from other

schools except the Hanbali one which is exclusively followed in Saudi Arabia

Ibn teymiyyah views are at the origin of the terrorism in the Muslim word and his famous Fatwa Mardini has encouraged

muslims terrorists to kill innocent people even in their place of worship

I have no respect for Ibn teymiyyah or the wahhabi doctrine these people are nothing but bigot extremist terrorist

No one in Africa follows their Hanbali Madhab or care about their views except boko haram murderers and few hardcore

African salafis

I am as far away from a "fanatic" as they come,

The hadith you presented only showed the rasul permitting music on EID!! He specifically mentioned eid,

I am amazed that you quote as evidence for allowing listening to sophisticated songs the report about how two young girls who were below the age of puberty sang to a young woman on the day of Eid some verses of Arab poetry about bravery in war and other noble characteristics. How can you compare this to that? What is strange is that this hadeeth is one of the strongest proofs against Music. The greatest speaker of the truth [Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq] called them musical instruments of the Shaytaan, and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of that appellation, but he made an exception in the case of these two young girls who had not yet reached the age of responsibility and the words of whose songs could not corrupt anyone who listened to them on the day of EID. Can this be used as evidence to allow what you do and what you know of listening (to music) which includes (bad) things which are not hidden?! Subhaan Allaah! How people can be led astray! (Madaarij al-Saalikeen, 1/493).

Is Ibn Abbass (RA) a fanatic too?? You have to be careful the way you throw words around,

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, explaining the view of Imaam al-Shaafa'i: His companions who know his madhhab (point of view) stated that[b] it is haraam and denounced those who said that he permitted it.[/b] (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/425).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The madhhab of Abu Haneefah is the strictest in this regard, and his comments are among the harshest. His companions clearly stated that it is haraam to listen to all musical instruments such as the flute and the drum, even tapping a stick. They stated that it is a sin which implies that a person is a faasiq (rebellious evil doer) whose testimony should be rejected.(Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/425).

Imaam Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) [/b]was asked about playing the drum or flute, if a person happens to hear the sound and enjoy it whilst he is walking or sitting. He said: He should get up if he finds that he enjoys it, unless he is sitting down for a need or is unable to get up. If he is on the road, he should either go back or move on. (al-Jaami’ by al-Qayrawaani, 262). He (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The only people who do things like that, in our view, are faasiqs.” (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 14/55).

[b]ARE YOU SATISFIED NOW

The same ibn Tamiyyah you disrespect; Al-Bazzar says, 'Once the people had heard of his death, not a single person in Damascus who was able to attend the prayer and wanted to, remained until he appeared and took time out for it. As a result, the markets in Damascus were closed and all transactions of livelihood were stopped. Governors, heads, scholars, jurists came out. They say that none of the majority of the people failed to turn up, according to my knowledge - except three individuals; they were well known for their enmity for Ibn Taymiyyah and thus, hid away from the people out of fear for their lives."

Your basis for understanding Ibn Taymiyyah has been skewed; On the mardin fatwa, please check this link http://muslimmatters.org/2010/06/29/the-mardin-conference-%E2%80%93-a-detailed-account/

Al Wahab is the name of Allah, the use of this wahhabism term is totally wrong, Wahhabism as a concept is a myth.

Even if Ibn Tamiyyah made errors in anything, he is human, he also contributed a lot to the ummah, May Allah forgive him any shortcomings.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Ways To Forgiving Others In Islam / Focusing On Our Salat And Prayers / Men: Dont Wear Gold Chain Or Dont Wear Chain At All?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.