Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage (1435 Views)

What Islamic Books Are You Currently Reading? / Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do / Islamic Scholars Angry As Wahhabi Preacher Say Prophet (sa) Was Alcohol Seller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 29, 2011
througout the year or for a particular season in the out going year, we have dwelt so much on this topic (inter religious/interfaith marriage) and its important for us to note that the issue being a very controversial one and technical, it can never be over emphasized even if we kept discussing same everyday.                                                                                                               During most of the discussions, i have always maintained that no where in the Quran did God stated unequivocally that there shouldnt be interfaith marriages. However men out of their own selfishnes, chose to brainwash others by preventing them from seeing the light and having independent minds of their own. Yet they prefer to twist what has been written in the quran to suit themselves                                                 

This isnt about me but about the generality of the voiceless that have been illogically deceived and denied having the free will to choose what they feel is right for them.                             

I have consulted google as usual to seek divergent views from islamic scholars so i wouldnt be accused of being biased. Lets see what they have to say regarding the subject.

please read for your self.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Imam Khaleel Mohammed’s Defense Of Inter-Faith Marriage                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Imam Khaleel Mohammed’s Defense Of Inter-Faith Marriage

"The verse that is traditonally used by imams to prohibit an inter-religious marriage is Qur'an

5:5, which states: 'This day, all innately good things are lawful for you,  Lawful to you are the

chaste women from among those who have been given the Book before you
, ' Traditional

imams contend that since women are mentioned, and men are not, then it must be understood

that the marriage of Muslim women with non-Muslim men is forbidden.

This, however, is problematic. For the Qur'an is addressed, because of the custom of the time,

to men. It is for this reason that the Qur'an says, for example, "And when you divorce your

wives, " or "During the nights of fasting [Ramadan] you may Be Intimate with your wives, " What

do I mean by the custom of the time? In the tribal context, the woman, once married, accepted

the husband as master. He, in turn, accepted the religion of his tribal chief.

Given that reality, a whole host of issues arose for Muslim scholars -- issues that made them

oppose inter-religious marriages for women. One issue was, whereas Muslims honor the non-

Muslim prophets, followers of the other two monotheistic religions do not honor Muhammad,

and that would put the Muslim woman in the terrible position of having her prophet

disrespected. Another issue was that most Christians see Jesus as God, and for a Muslim to

atribute divinity to a human in unthinkable. Then, too, there was the problem of the children

from such a marriage, who would presumably be brought up in the religion of the male spouse.

But remember that all of these 'issues' assume the woman must take the faith of her non-

Muslim husband, and that is clearly not the case in your relationship. You live in a different time

and a different place.

To be sure, most Muslims would argue that the Qur'an is true for all time and all places. If we

go by that logic, then we must acknowledge that the Qur'an is still sympathetic to your dream

of marrying a Christian man. Even though he is a Christian, the Qur'an does not hold that

against him. For while mentioning that there are Christians who take Jesus as God, Islam's main

document calls this 'kufr' (disbelief/ingratitude) rather than 'shirk' (polytheism). It's a significant

distinction because, in another verse, the Qur'an also states that Christians who do good deeds

have the right to enter heaven. Christian creedal beliefs are the same for both male and female

followers of Christianity, so how can the Qur'an allow marriage to the Christian woman but not

to the Christian man?

The evidence indicates that the main hang‐up is the problem I emphasized above ‐‐ that the

religion of the male spouse becomes dominant (as also evidenced in the Book of Ruth in the

Hebrew Bible). In our day, since Qur'anic Islam (as opposed to the Islam of the male jurists)

must acknowledge the radical notion that women are equals of men, that women have legal

rights, and that those rights include placing conditions on the marriage (what you and I would

term a 'pre‐nuptial agreement'), then an inter‐faith marriage can take place on condition that

neither spouse will be forcibly converted to the other's religion. As long as that condition is

respected, you and she have my blessing.

On the question of children, certainly there will be some religious confusion. But as a Muslim

scholar, I can tell you that the Qur'an advocates the use of the heart and mind in forming

opinions. If both parents are faithful to their interpretations of the Creator's will, then the

children will make informed decisions when they come of age.

I would be happy to officiate at the ceremony depending on my availability. You may reach me

through www.forpeoplewhothink.org.

Dr. Khaleel Mohammed studied Sharia at Muhammad bin Saud University in Riyadh (Sunni) and

the Zeinabiyya in Damascus (Shia). He holds a Ph.D. in Islamic law from McGill University.
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Sweetnecta: 11:42pm On Dec 29, 2011
2:221; "Nor marry your girls to unbelievers until they believe. A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, "

No exception is given for women to marry Jews and Christians, so the law stands that she may only marry a believing (Muslim) man.

As head of the household, the husband provides leadership for the family.

A Muslim woman does not follow the leadership of someone who does not share her faith and values.
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by tbaba1234: 11:56pm On Dec 29, 2011
Dr. Khaleel Mohammed has some controversial views, It is clearly stated in the Quran,
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 5:26am On Dec 30, 2011
Im not sure if u guys read and understood the scholar well before responding.

we need to be guided on this very controversial subject. The man clearly stated that in the spirit of equality, women should have minds of their own.

Also like most of u guys erroneously state that christians are polytheists, that was also faulted that even though some xtians regard Jesus as God, yet the God headship still stands firm.

Also no where did God categorically prohibits women from marrying non muslims.

Also the quran didnt tell u that xtians are hell fire candidates.

pls we need to be guided before responding.

I'll urge u guys to review his post once again and deduce logically.

There are many scholars who shared his views. Some even compared the either of preventing women as a tradition that existed back then which doesnt hold. If truly it was tradition, then its not of God but of men.

Do ur research properly.

Im traveling now and when i return by Gods grace, we shall continue
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Sweetnecta: 1:48pm On Dec 30, 2011
if you intend to become muslim, then the Word of Allah is Purest and Most accepted than the opinion of the greatest scholar. Did you see the verse that i quoted from chapter 2, telling us who can be husband of muslim wife?

Your heart is like hard following deceit instead of leaning towards guidance.

Which true muslim woman wants rebellious soul and kafr to be her husband?
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2011
Afa, taking it easy we are learning from each other. What the scholar who's a PHD holder said that its wasnt categorically stated by God that muslim women shdnt marry outside of Islam.

What most pple are hanging on is deductive reasoning which can swing both ways.

The dont marry belongs to the old saudi tradition and we are in the jet age.

I dont think women should be treated as slaves and as pple who doesnt have minds of their own.

FYI, im not a kuf
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Sweetnecta: 8:19pm On Dec 30, 2011
There is no ambiguity in what Allah clearly states.

No muslim woman must marry non muslim man. Period.

In case you miss the verse of the Quran from Baqarah, here is it;

2:221; "Nor marry your girls to unbelievers until they believe. A man slave who believes is better than an unbeliever, "

Toba, you seem to be working overtime on the woman.

She will not marry you if you are the last single man standing because I am certain she knows better. When you become Muslim, I will assist you from a, "B" c, d. . . x, y, z of Islamic cooperation of getting a wife. You are not ready by the way you are going.
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by deols(f): 8:22pm On Dec 30, 2011
toba, u gv me laffs all d time. tongue

anyone can add d word scholar to d beginning of their name. Doesnt make dem d voice for Muslims. that guy is misguided. such pple make deductive reasonings(like u want it called) that are not in sync wv d teachings of Islam. Do not be surprised when you read an article from him tomorrow telling u a woman can be the head in her home. May God save us from such misguidance.
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2011
SMDBH

u guys are so adamant and holding firmly to ur views.

The man is making sense.

he's actually interpreting the quran according to his revelation which is exactly what u guys are doing.

I still dont agree.

i will post what another AFA had to say on the subject as u guys arent satisfied with the first scholar
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2011
The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Sun, 04/24/2005 3:14 PM |

Life The Jakarta Post,
Jakarta In a recent media workshop on pluralism and cross-cultural understanding, the participants shot up their hands, like a bunch of second graders competing for candies to answer the teacher's question.

Only, it was not a question that prompted them to raise their hands and ask permission to interject.

It was a statement from speaker Siti Musdah Mulia, an Islamic jurisprudence researcher and gender expert, who claimed that, contrary to common perception, Islam actually does not forbid interfaith marriage.

A disapproving journalist said that as he would like to have a wife and children, to pursue heaven and the same God together, it would be impossible if his wife was of a different religion. Musdah said that it was as if the journalist was playing God, as God Himself did not require that. ""Do you think there are many Gods? Do you think that people of different religions do not want to pursue heaven?"" she said before the workshop sponsored by the International Center for Islam and Pluralism (ICIP) .

Another journalist insisted that Islamic law did not condone interfaith marriage, forgetting the fact that Musdah has experience and expertise in Islamic jurisprudence.

This is just a little illustration of how interfaith marriage remains one of the most complex and sensitive issues in Indonesian society, involving a potential tinder box of emotion-laden questions of right and wrong, the state and the individual's right to choose a partner.
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2011
deols and sweetnecta. take note of the emphasized texts.

We need to be extremely careful so we wouldnt be assuming God's role
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by hymen(f): 12:09am On Dec 31, 2011
I completely agree with the OP.

Pre-islam patriarchial customs have somehow found their way into islam.

If indeed ,men & women are equal in Islam,why would it be fine for men to marry non-muslims(people of the Book),but women cannot?

Is God almighty some kind of confused bigot?

This reasoning has no place in Islam & is borne out of male-dominated customs ,which see women as 'communal property',pure and simple !

You can decide to believe these arab customs if you like,no basis in Nigerian (Yoruba) culture .
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Nobody: 8:13am On Dec 31, 2011
hymen:

I completely agree with the OP.

Pre-islam patriarchial customs have somehow found their way into islam.

If indeed ,men & women are equal in Islam,why would it be fine for men to marry non-muslims(people of the Book),but women cannot?

Is God almighty some kind of confused bigot?

This reasoning has no place in Islam & is borne out of male-dominated customs ,which see women as 'communal property',pure and simple !

You can decide to believe these arab customs if you like,no basis in Nigerian (Yoruba) culture .

God bless u. Our pple have chosen to be sentimental rather than being logical.

This practise has no basis in Islam.

As the scholar rightly said. Christians serve one God who have sent christ to the world. Muslims choose to believe and follow christ as the christians does yet choose to separate themselves from the God of Jesus christ. its illogical.

We need to start thinking outside the box and let objectivity take over our minds
Re: For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage by Sweetnecta: 11:25am On Dec 31, 2011
Hymen forgot she still has her hymen because she is not married, yet. Thats a good thing, until she is married for few months; it will become a bad thing. Is there any confusion or bigotry in this statement of fact? No.

Now Allah made man different from woman, in some aspects and then same and equal in others.

In marriage, while man has to dominate in their sexual relationship, we can see reason a woman can only be dominated by a single man, instead of many, while the man can dominate up to 4 in a single household/family.

The clothing of muslim woman is different from that of muslim man.

The family role of man is different from that of the woman.

Even in salah; there are days a woman can not pray and she will not be a rebellious soul, but truly obedient. And she does not have to make them up, while in fasting she will have to make them. She may make salah in the house while her husband is supposed to go to the mosque.

She may not seek outside employment. She can keep all her earnings. She may not cook, clean, etc for the husband, but concentrate on her children, instead.

While Hymen is criticizing Islam, she forgets that Onisango in Yorubaland will not marry Olosun. Each will go after their own kind of worshipers. The african pagans are very strict in marriage ritual specificity including what they want in spouse[s]. Even the christian bibles have the same concept, except the christians throw all of that in their back, not following or honoring the author of the bibles. Thats some serious confusion there.

Not all that is pre-Islam of Muhammad [as] is bad among the Makkans, indeed the arabs and the world in general. Among humans, we have good people, based on the instinctive nature of man. In Islam we called it Fitra. And many who say they are believer do things of disbelief; Boko Haram is an obvious example of evil deed.

Allah restricts believing woman from becoming a woman to be dominated by disbelieving man, in direct way, if you will [His Command] by His Order as He has restricted us from alcohol, eating of pork, food offered to gods or idols, man not having uncountable women just because of Oju kokoro of Kari Kara, indeed a test as He Only can test.

Who ever this woman that toba is after is, she must a gem. I am not suspecting or even trying to guess. If toba is a believer in his heart, he would have been soften enough to have gone for Islamic salah, learning hard and finally becoming muslim, returning to his Creator, instead of being stuck in giving his life to Jesus, who in turn gave his own life to God.

When toba slows himself up, some strong believer will come for the sister because she is meant for a believer.

(1) (Reply)

Proof That Allah Is NOT Moon God / A Glimpse Into The Khawaarij / How Do We Know That There Is A God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.