Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do (1015 Views)

Reactions To Westgate Murders By Muslim Scholars/imams / Islamic Scholars Angry As Wahhabi Preacher Say Prophet (sa) Was Alcohol Seller / For Deols,sweetnect &co. What Islamic Scholars Says About Interfaith Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by Kingspin(m): 7:17am On Aug 20, 2013
I, was watching a documentary, on Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him on one Muslim channel Peace TV.
According to them, Prophet Muhammad was born in Mecca,570CE.
He was an orphan.Under the guardianship of the Uncle who raised him as a business man in Mecca, to Syria.
Muhammad, first, marriage was Lady Khadijah, his exployer.They had four children.Muhammad, also, has a Christian cousin.
At forty, 610CE, Muhammad received the first revelations when praying inside the Cave of Hira in Mecca.
Most Meccans ignored him & maltreated him along his fellowers.The rulers of the city accused him of threatened to overthrow their religious & governmental activities.
The Prophet,left Mecca to Madina, after the city of Mecca & their allies made a decision to eliminate him.
Muhammad, & his fellowers escape from Mecca to Madina.
He continued his message in Madina.And categorical told his followers not to refer him as the Abraham,Moses and Jesus Christ.
He ruled and controlled the social,economic,political lives of the people in Madina.
Also,after migration to Medina,Muhammad at his fifties married several women & gave birth to many children.
According to the documentary,Muhammad, perceived ill-treatment from non followers, at that point, he considered war(Jihad) to press strongly his message & struggle to those enemies of his teachings.
In, 623CE.The Prophet enjoined the community to avoid wars & violence as far as possible,& it should only be the absolute last resort,when all other avenues have been exhausted.He also told them not to draw their swords except in dire need.
Later,the Muslims, led by Prophet Muhammad have to fought a number of battles with the Meccans & their allies armies.They won & lost some.
On eighth Ramadan year, friday,The Prophet of Allah took with him all the muslim troops which numbered ten thousands to arrived Mecca,in the evening.It is reported the Meccans were concerned & feared that muhammad has come with full force & might attack them.They quickly surrender to Muhammand & his fellowers who than enter the city and ruled them.
The word Jihad appears 41 times in Quran.
The most liberal Muslim
intellectuals who have focused
on religious reform of Islam, include Muhammad Ali, Sayyid al- Qimni, Nasr Abu Zayd, Khalil Abdel-Karim, Abdolkarim Soroush, Mohammed Arkoun, Mohammed Shahrour, Ahmed Subhy Mansour, Edip Yuksel, Gamal al-Banna, Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im , Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri, Javed Ahmad Ghamidi, Ahmed Al-Gubbanchi , Mahmoud Mohammed Taha, and Faraj Foda. The last two of these, Taha and Foda, were
killed in the wake of claims of apostasy, while most of the others have been accused of
apostasy by traditional Islamic scholars.
What is your stake on this?
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by PastorOluT(m): 9:07am On Aug 20, 2013
What exactly do u have in mind?
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by usermane(m): 11:04am On Aug 20, 2013
enilove:

Forget this Islam , it is a way of destruction.

with due respect,enilove. Its not as simple as making such a hasty conclusion. Enilove,the OP got a point. I agree islam need reform. And there is a way out, am frank about this. All we need is to put aside our ego and be open minded.
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by usermane(m): 11:12am On Aug 20, 2013
Kingspin: I, was watching a documentary, on Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him on one Muslim channel Peace TV.
According to them, Prophet Muhammad was born in Mecca,570CE.
He was an orphan.Under the guardianship of the Uncle who raised him as a business man in Mecca, to Syria.
Muhammad, first, marriage was Lady Khadijah, his exployee.They had four children.Muhammad, also, has a Christian cousin.
At forty, 610CE, Muhammad received the first revelations when praying inside the Cave of Hira in Mecca.
Most Meccans ignored him & maltreated him along his fellowers.The rulers of the city accused him of threatened to overthrow their religious & governmental activities.
The Prophet,left Mecca to Madina, after the city of Mecca & their allies made a decision to eliminate him.
Muhammad, & his fellowers escape from Mecca to Madina.
He continued his message in Madina.And categorical told his followers not to refer him as the Abraham,Moses and Jesus Christ.
He ruled and controlled the social,economic,political lives of the people in Madina.
Also,after migration to Medina,Muhammad at his fifties married several women & gave birth to many children.
According to the documentary,Muhammad, perceived ill-treatment from non followers, at that point, he considered war(Jihad) to press strongly his message & struggle to those enemies of his teachings.
In, 623CE.The Prophet enjoined the community to avoid wars & violence as far as possible,& it should only be the absolute last resort,when all other avenues have been exhausted.He also told them not to draw their swords except in dire need.
Later,the Muslims, led by Prophet Muhammad have to fought a number of battles with the Meccans & their allies armies.They won & lost some.
On eighth Ramadan year, friday,The Prophet of Allah took with him all the muslim troops which numbered ten thousands to arrived Mecca,in the evening.It is reported the Meccans were concerned & feared that muhammad has come with full force & might attack them.They quickly surrender to Muhammand & his fellowers who than enter the city and ruled them.
The word Jihad appears 41 times in Quran.
The most liberal Muslim
intellectuals who have focused
on religious reform of Islam, include Muhammad Ali, Sayyid al- Qimni, Nasr Abu Zayd, Khalil Abdel-Karim, Abdolkarim Soroush, Mohammed Arkoun, Mohammed Shahrour, Ahmed Subhy Mansour, Edip Yuksel, Gamal al-Banna, Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im , Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri, Javed Ahmad Ghamidi, Ahmed Al-Gubbanchi , Mahmoud Mohammed Taha, and Faraj Foda. The last two of these, Taha and Foda, were
killed in the wake of claims of apostasy, while most of the others have been accused of
apostasy by traditional Islamic scholars.
What is your stake on this?
You r right,kingspin, islam of today need reform. The question is why is the reform needed and how could the reform b attained?
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by usermane(m): 11:15am On Aug 20, 2013
Pastor Olu T: What exactly do u have in mind?
Dont mean to interrupt,but what can u say about OP. I mean dont u agree?,Why ?
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by BetaThings: 12:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
"O you who have believed, enter into Islam completely [and perfectly] and do not follow the footsteps of Satan. Indeed, he is to you a clear enemy."
Qur'an 2: 208

"There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing."
Qur'an 2: 256
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by Kingspin(m): 1:13pm On Aug 20, 2013
Pastor Olu T: What exactly do u have in mind?
The reform is long over due.
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by usermane(m): 3:54pm On Aug 20, 2013
@Betathing. Good thing, u shared some Verses with us. Now is the time to shed light directly on d OP
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by BetaThings: 2:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
usermane: @Betathing. Good thing, u shared some Verses with us. Now is the time to shed light directly on d OP
It should be obvious what I think
People should not adapt islam to themselves. They should adapt themselves to Islam
It is not compulsory to enter Islam (not compulsory to apply to Harvard)
But when you are a Muslim (Harvard student), you obey the rules

Nothing to reform - follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW)

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by siddiq202(m): 2:52pm On Aug 21, 2013
BetaThings:
It should be obvious what I think
People should not adapt islam to themselves. They should adapt themselves to Islam
It is not compulsory to enter Islam (not compulsory to apply to Harvard)
But when you are a Muslim (Harvard student), you obey the rules

Nothing to reform - follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW)
I wish I could like this reply 1000 times.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by usermane(m): 5:03pm On Aug 21, 2013
Well, then BetaThings. I respect ur response. It aint as simple as that, though. The million dollar question is, what is qur'an and sunnah and what are muslims practising today? Now u don't have to answer that if u desire not but u will agree with me that a religious reform is recommended if adherents deviate from original teachings of their scripture,when their beliefs and approach to circumstances antagonise morality,logic and reasoning. However, it all comes down to an individual level and just as u believe no sort of reform is needed, some others believe something is wrong with the system and a reform is needed. The same applies to christianity.
Now, i don't expect u to agree with me, that is the point of the OP afterall.
I ,however got 2 admit the best way to look into this topic is to approach it with an open heart, putting away one 's biase, one 's ego, one 's defiance to new infos,one 's sentiments. Then going back to GOD, Scriptures and Islamic history during and after the lifetime of the deliverer of the Qur'an. For the Muslims in particular, it aint unfair to also try view your beloved religion through another pair of eyes, i mean a fresh pair.
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by BetaThings: 9:28am On Aug 22, 2013
usermane: Well, then BetaThings. I respect ur response. It aint as simple as that, though. The million dollar question is, what is qur'an and sunnah and what are muslims practising today?

The answer can be given by a teenager who has never seen N1m before let alone
All it requires is for him to have studied very well the reasons for revelation of the verses of the Qur'an and
study books by muhadditun
I don't interprete the Bible. I don't debate the Bible with Christians. Because some of them have spent years doing that
While some people (no intellectual midgets) are spending years studying the Qur'an, some people pull verses out at random and start making interpreations

usermane:
Now u don't have to answer that if u desire not but u will agree with me that a religious reform is recommended if adherents deviate from original teachings of their scripture,
I don't agree with you
Some are deviating and some are not deviating. So do we reform to please the deviants and antagonise the conformists?
This is religion. My understanding is that it is divine. I am inferior to the Author of the Qur'an so I will not contest it
As for the reform, it is the attempt by man to fiddle - since I don't see myself as inferior to the proponents I feel qualified to disagree with them
GM foods are being questioned ins some places

usermane:
when their beliefs and approach to circumstances antagonise morality,logic and reasoning. However, it all comes down to an individual level and just as u believe no sort of reform is needed, some others believe something is wrong with

Whose morality? Whose logic?
That homosexuality was a disease 100 years ago and it is a right now?
That wearing the hijab was a right in some countries several years ago and it is a crime now?
That wearing the hijab is a sign of oppression when the wearers (some of whom are older and more educated that the people shouting "you are oppressed, you are oppressed"wink say that I am not and I am old enough to vote?
But being able to walk in various states of unclad or even being completely unclad in some places is not oppression?
That we have 1min of silence for victims of terrorism and none for the innocent victims of drone strikes?
Or that marrying a 14yr old girl 100 years ago (in the US) was right but is pedophilia now and
marrying an 18 yr old is right now but might be pedophilia in 50yrs hence?
and that incest might also be traced to a gene and become lawful in 30 yrs time?
And the we celebrate affairs with "royalty" by writing books about them is moral?
usermane:
the system and a reform is needed. The same applies to christianity.
I again, I disagree FIRMLY!
It is right there in the Qur'an : to you your religion, to me my religion
How many posts of mine have you seen in the religion section
I have no interests whatsoever in what Christians do. I am just interested in my soace to practise my religion without let

Now, i don't expect u to agree with me, that is the point of the OP afterall.
usermane:
I ,however got 2 admit the best way

Your own way you mean?

usermane:
to look into this topic is to approach it with an open heart
I will not imperil my operating system by opening it up to any virus

usermane:
, putting away one 's biase, one 's ego
Your bias is to have a reform; mine is not to have it. Who will put his away?
And will your ego allow you put your bias away?

usermane:
one 's defiance to new infos, one 's sentiments
I am not in defiance of Allah's written words
The proponents of reform are in defiance of Him (swt).

usermane:
Then going back to GOD,
How do you propose to do that? I see no new Prophet around

usermane:
Scriptures and Islamic history during and after the lifetime of the deliverer of the Qur'an.

Same as what any serious muslim should do and that is what I recommended to the teenager

usermane:
For the Muslims in particular,

I see! I see!!

usermane:
it aint unfair to also try view your beloved religion through another pair of eyes, i mean a fresh pair.
We have our eyes.
Whose fresh pair do you propose? atheists' deists' etc?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by usermane(m): 6:55pm On Aug 23, 2013
Saw it coming BetaThings....So typical of any theist. Well, a Reform isn't about changing the Creator 's rules, neither is it modifying the laws. It is about questioning our beliefs,our existence,about verifying the TRUTH, it is about confirming GOD 's TRUE commandments. And that 's why i love Detectives, guys, their job is all about a relentless quest for truth.
Re: Do You Think Islam Need A Reform? As Some Islamic Scholars Do by BetaThings: 2:35am On Aug 24, 2013
@Username
Thanks for typically seeing it coming!
You are free to do as I wish
I reserve the right to do as I wish

(1) (Reply)

A Messenger was Born by Sheikh Abu Eesa / Naat Sharif – Mp3 Collection / Non- Believers Food: Kindly Read The Tafseer Of Surah Al-ma'idah Quran 5 V 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.