Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% (3083 Views)

Reduce Your Fuel Consumption By 20 To 50% On Your Car, Generator, Cooking Gas... / SOLD.Neat Nigerian Used END OF Discussion ** MANUAL Drive.less Fuel Consumption. / 9 Tips For Saving On Fuel Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by Cargoed: 12:30pm On Jan 02, 2012
In this season, here are some Basic Steps to Reduce fuel consumption

1. Air Conditioning
Having your air-conditioning switched on can add as much as 14% to fuel consumption.

2. Drag Factor
Effects of drag and increase fuel consumption. For this reason don't have windows open over 40mph.

3. Tyre Pressure
Under-inflated tyres have increased rolling resistance and increase fuel consumption - Also, increased wear

4. Green Credentials
Buy a car, which gives a good energy efficiency rating and the running cost that an owner can expect over a year
Also run a scan on your car to make sure it does not have any fault codes related to emissions and check that your exhausts has no licks.

5. Drive Gently
Avoid harsh acceleration and heavy breaking. Taking of too fast uses up to 60% more fuel.

6. Gear Changes
Changing gear at a modest engine speed - between around 2,000 and 2,5000 rpm - reduced fuel consumption by up to 15% So generally automatic transmissions consumes more but manual will consume much more if handled by a bad driver

7. Speed Limits
Make your fuel go further. Driving at 7mph uses 30% more fuel than at 50mph. Driving at 70mph along an expressway instead of 80mph can save[b] 40%[/b] every ten miles.

8. Start Up & Go
Drive off immediately when starting from cold. Idling to heat the engine wastes fuel and causes rapid engine wear. "Don't let your mechanic hear this he wil not believe". grin grin cheesy

9. Avoid Short Journeys
A cold engine uses as much fuel and catalytic converters can take miles to become effective

10. Switch Off
Stuck in traffic? Turning off the engine after two minutes will save fuel and cut all emissions

Okay lets hear yours which car has the greenest credential? i.e the cheapest to run.
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by purefella(m): 2:35pm On Jan 02, 2012
To me your post rated 90% out of all other posts have read on NL , nice posts well i like toyota avalon i think it consumes less fuel and Honda element is great too
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by chelseabmw(m): 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2012
A very good innovative post
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by Gentlejack: 8:38pm On Jan 02, 2012
When thinking of fuel subsidy plz think of buying a toyota corolla because its the only No 1 fuel friendly car ever.
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by temmyhorla(f): 9:00pm On Jan 02, 2012
@100+
Gentlejack:

When thinking of fuel subsidy plz think of buying a toyota corolla because its the only No 1 fuel friendly car ever.
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by Cargoed: 11:29am On Jan 03, 2012
Yes thanks for the response so far, Just to add that if your car is "drinking" fuel, you may need to scan it too. i.e if the check engine light is on

Mr Paul

Contact 0706 357 8028

With your own Laptop N22K

You can then diagnose/scan all cars from 1996+ to today
Very much User friendly learn how to diagnose cars free in 30mins
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by gbonsalifus(m): 7:56am On Dec 12, 2012
Here's an article that explains drag and AC use and encourages you to use your AC.
Re: Reduce Fuel Consumption By 75% by gbonsalifus(m): 7:56am On Dec 12, 2012
Here's an article that explains drag and AC use and encourages you to use your AC. http://101carsense..com/2012/12/air-conditioner-fuel-consumption.html

(1) (Reply)

i / Extremely Neat BMW X5 2002/3 With Navigation And TV@2.6M(08096577304) / Toks 2006 Toyota Avalon MINT Condition. American Spec

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.