Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,225 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... (3888 Views)

10 Tips To Keep Your Phone Safe And Private / Phone Etiquette: Do You Say Your Name When You Answer The Phone? / The Ten Commandments Of Cell Phone Etiquette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by dominobaby(f): 9:51am On Apr 19, 2005
Phone Etiquette ...

Hi all,

Just wondering what our phone etiquettes (the conduct or procedure required by good breeding or prescribed by authority to be observed in social or official life) really are.

When your phone rings with a call either from a registered or unregistered number, how do you go?
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by dominobaby(f): 10:28am On Apr 19, 2005
Well, whenever I receive a call from an unregistered number, sometimes I say "hello" and other times "hello, good morning/afternoon/evening". And most recently, because of my job description in which I offer support to clients, I almost include my company's name!

If it is a call from a registered number, I don't think he/she needs such formality. I just go ahead and either say [I]hi[/I], [I]'sup[/I], or call the person's name. Or what do you think? wink
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Angelgirl(f): 11:05am On Apr 19, 2005
Well I think the only time one should be formal is when he/she is recieving a call from an official line. I am not formal on my mobile line, just a "hello" or the caller's name if I see it flashing on my set as it rings, though due to the nature of my work, I talk to clients a lot on official line, and because of that, once or twice I have made a mistake of picking a personal call on my mobile as an official call, with all the introductions, can you imagine? grin I laughed at myself that day.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2005
Hey, I believe we discussed abit about this on mobilenigeria. Check out: http://www.mobilenigeria.com/viewtopic.php?id=165

Anyway, I'm always polite when answering my calls. You know, the usual "hello" stuff.

At times I go a little crazy and shout out "waz uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup" like in the scary movie film.

If the number's not in my phonebook at times I'm all Hip Hop and go "who this?"

What more can I say?
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by dominobaby(f): 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2005
Trae, that was "Telecrastination" which I believe is somewhat differerent from "phone etiquette"

There is something so common these days especially with the female folk, some guys do it too. What I mean is people trying to speak [I]phonetics[/I], what you hear them say is "hello" pronounced as 'hella' repeatedly. rolleyes
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by tayotina(f): 5:51pm On Apr 19, 2005
Whenever my phone rings and the caller is a known person, I mention his or her name in addition to my hello. If it is an unknown caller, I am always like, hello, sorry who is this?
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Ra(f): 10:19pm On Apr 20, 2005
I should think it really depends on who the caller is actually and the level of familiarity between us. Some callers don't even get 'hello' from  me. Most times I simply go, 'hey, what's up?' to my friends or 'Monkey, na now you just dey call' or 'hello darling' deservedly reserved for my darling embarassed, you know, ..... it depends.

For people who withold caller's ID, I simply go, 'hello, who is this please?'.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by eolutosin(m): 2:57pm On Apr 25, 2005
Hm... I guess it is no hard fast rule to this. I used to mention my name whenever I am answering a call from unknown number but I had to stop that 'cos of some funny things happening around. I mean some people who just got your number somehow and will like to get your details. So, I believe that it is really not a problem if you answer the call coming from an unknown number with a question requesting to know the identity of the person calling.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Seun(m): 8:39pm On Apr 25, 2005
If you call me and I don't know who you are, I just say "Hello" in a rather musical voice and wait for you to talk.

1 Like

Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by shallar1(m): 4:50pm On May 17, 2005
I Picked up my call and simply say hello, if it is unknown, but in case of a stored number, I will call your name straight and started gisting.
I believe in respect a lot.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Greatpeter(m): 5:15pm On May 17, 2005
Whenever I receive calls 4m unregistered number i simply say Hello good morning, afternoon or evening depending on the time. and if the call is 4m a registered number and the caller is older than me i still greet the caller as above + sir or ma. But if a friend i will just say Y"hello my guy or my babe and conversation begins.
Great Peter
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by bussy(f): 2:13pm On Jul 25, 2005
when u pick up the phone from an unknown caller what i feel u should say is
hello, Good Morning/afternoon/evening
My Name is ..............
who is on the line pls or who am i speaking with
u may never know it could ur boss from headoffice of an employer u just sent ur resume to
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by bongay: 1:35pm On Sep 12, 2005
If I get a call from an unknown number, I just say "hello good afternoon" or "hello! bongay..." so the caller can quickly know who's picked the call.  But if it is from a registered number, I just say "hey guy", "hey man", "sup baby girl" "dearie" for a girl who's deserved that.  Just as simple as that.  What do you think?
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by hotangel2(f): 7:27am On Sep 14, 2005
When my phone rings.. I know who's calling by the ringtones.

My dad's ringtone is mariah carey's "shake it off". I know it's my dad when shake it off is singing, i pick it by saying "hi daddy".

When my friends (girls) call it rings Fat joe's "get popping", so when that sings, i just pick the phone and say "hey biatch".. or "wat's up"... or maybe if it's my nigerian friends i say "kila tun ri gbo ooo"

When my friends (guys) call, it rings Bow wow's "like you". So when that sings i am like, "yo", "wats up", "hi sweet thing", or something masculine like "dude, wat's up".

When a private number is calling me, it sings Missy's "lose control". So i am like "hello, who's this?".

I dont normally check my caller ID. Just hear the ringtone and greet, after greeting.. you know who's there!
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by layi(m): 6:07pm On Sep 14, 2005
hot-angel:

........or maybe if it's my nigerian friends i say "kila tun ri gbo ooo"
"Gossips of the same feather rant together"

I store the names with a voice message so once it rings all i hear if the caller's name twice then my lovely tune - Backstreet boys "Quit playing games" starts. How i respond depends now depends on who's callin. Most times its "wazup Bleep?" (friends and family)

If its an unknown caller. It just rings (no names) and i'm go like- "Hello" . Nothing else until the caller talks.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by hotangel2(f): 7:21pm On Sep 14, 2005
layi:

"Gossips of the same feather rant together"

Amen!
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Scorpio(f): 2:37am On Sep 18, 2005
It depends on who calls me. i've got every person that i know, male/female's number on my cell, so most of d time, i know who's callin me. so if it's momsie, it's basically hi mom, if it's a friend, it could b n e thing from waz happening to ''i'm listening'',''talk to me'' etc. Most tymes, when i dunno who's callin(say it's a prof), i just say hi, who's speakin pls.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by nike4luv(f): 10:09pm On Sep 18, 2005
i think HA said mine..different tones for different people

when its my best friends (girl)..i go "heyyyyyyy" in a loud crazy voice
when its a boi..Demi here
if its my mum "i use somming really wierd and she says de same bk to me"..we r like girlfriendz
if its my dad i say.."Sam"
brother or sister ..wats up..kilo sele
unknown person..hello whos this..do i know u
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by layi(m): 10:25am On Sep 19, 2005
nike4luv:

unknown person..hello whos this..do i know u.......

Demi..methinks that aint too good.. embarassed
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by angelak(f): 12:03pm On Sep 19, 2005
When i get a call from an unknown number, i pick it up but say nothing immediately. Rather i listen to the voice too determine if i can recognize the voice. If i do, and it's someone i am avoiding i simply cut the call off embarassed

but if i don't recognize the voice, i will simply use a sexy, bedroom voice 'hello' please whose on the line? wink
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by nike4luv(f): 1:22pm On Sep 19, 2005
layi:

Demi..methinks that aint too good.. embarassed

layi..i dont say it in rude voice and i dont say them all at once lol..

helo..hey dis is...
where u gat my number from..i gat it from...
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by tally: 2:18pm On Sep 19, 2005
When my phone.....if its a person know cool, I either say "Hey wassup" or hail the person n a manner pecular to us ....if its a number dont know, say hello n a very cautious guarded way....!!
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Latoya(f): 5:15am On Sep 20, 2005
if my phone rings i just picked it up and say:

Hello aisha speaking,that is if its an unknown number,but if my Bro or sis calls me if just pick it up and YO!
My friends i go[b] wassup,or whats cracking[/b].If it my mum i go Yes mum and hummmmm if its him i go Hey babe in a sweet sexy voice
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by dbosa187(m): 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2005
I dont really have a format of answering calls but i guess because i'm used to taking more of personal calls it has my attitude on the fone during official calls tend to be inclined/tilted towards the way i answer personal calls...ciao[b][/b]
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by dbosa187(m): 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2005
i'm not really worried if it's a number i'm conversant with. i ain't hurt anyone so i see no reason y i should be paranoid wen a strange number calls.[b][/b]
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by angelak(f): 10:36am On Sep 22, 2005
dbosa187:

i'm not really worried if it's a number i'm conversant with. i ain't hurt anyone so i see no reason y i should be paranoid when a strange number calls.[b][/b]

Come on! you mean you have not hurt anyone before? No heart breaks? rolleyes
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by tamia(f): 9:31pm On Nov 13, 2005
when i pick up the phone the first thing i say is "hey" or hey whaddupp
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Rolly: 1:30am On Jan 19, 2006
ok. when my phone rings....

my close friend(girl)..... "hey sweetie, whats up?"

My close friend(boy)...... " yo, whats up? how u dey?"

Mum....... "Hello ma,"

Brother........ " hey"

Unknown....... "Hello, whos this?"
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Chidi4u(m): 7:03pm On Jul 01, 2008
Simply and short dont shout
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by just2nice(m): 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2008
I guess we shud be seeing of this informative threads and posts instead of d 'free browsing' shit which is now d norm.The phone section is gradually losing its value with threads being created at a whim and some clowns like s**k,f**i,s**y and others turning every thread into a chatroom.A return to the good old phone section days is of great necessity.
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by MrInfo1(m): 9:54pm On Jul 01, 2008
@ Just2nice

You mean no more Mtn Rocks! ? shocked
Re: Phone Etiquette: When Your Phone Rings ... by Esss(m): 10:28pm On Jul 01, 2008
When my phone rings, this is how I answer;

1. My Girlfriend; Hello love, Hi hun, sweetheart how r u?? Wats up honey??

2. Hoodrats; Hey babe, O girl how fa??

3. My Hommies; Wither, wetin dey, oboy how fa?? Which levels??

4. My dad; hey pops

5. My mum; Hi ma

6. My siblings; Yes?? What is it??

7. Unknown Caller; Hello, whos speaking please? Na who be this?? Onye na ekwu?? Ibu onye?? Ogini (Depending on my mood)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls With 50k To 70k Budget, Whch Phone Should I Buy? Ur Kind Advice Pls / Tecno Upcoming Camon X Takes Better Selfie Than Iphone X Camera [ Photos ] / Which Phone Can I Buy With A Budget Of 25k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.