Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? (9195 Views)

Spirit Husband And Wife - A Scaring Issue Within Our Christian Youth. / To Our Christian Brothers... / What Do Our Christian Sisters In The House Have To Say About This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by kaykaybaba(m): 5:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
musKeeto:

How do you mean?

Apparently all the OP cares about is criticizing a particular set of people. I gave him links and proof that at least 1 pastor had condemned the fuel hike (in fact in the example I gave the Pastor said it as far back as october 2011); OP then immediately switched and said it was not enough. My question is: what will be enough? And what has the OP done personally to contribute positively to the issues on ground? To be fair, I criticized some of the men of God privately as well, but I have since found out that a lot of them have 'chosen sides' in this battle. I think encouraging people (from the pulpit) to protest peacefully is a giant step forward.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 07, 2012
NO wahala. Thanks for clearing that up.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 6:17pm On Jan 07, 2012
@kaykaybaba
In the OP I gave an example of Martin luther king a baptist PASTOR who championed the civil rights movement in the States and even eventually paid with his life dying that millions of 'coloured' americans would live a better life. He didn't stay on the comfort of his pulpit and encourage people to protest peacefully. He lead by example and that is what I am talking about. The top pentecostal pastors in Nigeria have a large mass of follower ship and if a pastor in the mould of Adeboye should decide to stand with the people and personally lead a protest against the mis management of our resources by govt, I am sure it would have a lot of impact.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by kaykaybaba(m): 6:23pm On Jan 07, 2012
@OP what I'm trying to tell you is that you're making an assumption. When Pastor Okotie and later on Pastor Tunde Bakare contested for the presidency they were met with stiff and harsh criticism nationwide. What makes you think that people won't do the same if any pastor leads a protest now? A great percentage of people will tag them irresponsible, trust me. The situation is not as black/white as you're making it out to be. By the way your post makes no mention of Muslim leaders as well? (I say that solely for the purpose of balance and not to antagonize anyone)
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Ayoobscom(m): 6:23pm On Jan 07, 2012
They are worse than the federal gov't,,,, any organization that can oppose non-interest banking then it's a gallery of hypocrites
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by jiz: 7:02pm On Jan 07, 2012
Act! Act!! Act!!!
Are we acting for the sake of the gospel or our own selfishness?
If we act dis matter, it shows dat we can handle d situation it by ourselves or we should report NIGERIA back to her MAKER.
Remember, be gentle as dove and wise as sapent!
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Baraac(f): 8:01pm On Jan 07, 2012
Pastor Kun, You have condemned these pastors and why do you claim them to be your Christain leader. I think we need better posts on nairaland or you find something else to do. Please do not take it as insult.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by AmeboAjela(f): 8:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
mbulela:

@OP, because they are not 'area boy' pastors like[b] Tunde Bakare.[/b]
They are too refined for such.

He is about one of the very few that speaks the TRUTH!,
By the way if you are a representative of CHRIST there is nothing to be refined about. Was John the Baptist refined? He was as RAW as you can get, a Fire Brand that is not afraid to speak against the rulers of his time. Pls spend time reading your Bible instead of waiting for someone called a Pastor/Bishop to read and interpret for you.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by AmeboAjela(f): 8:42pm On Jan 07, 2012
Are you people saying the facts mentioned by the OP are not relevant just because he mention the names of some of your idols? Does it matter which names were mentioned? Truth is the names mentioned are the biggest in the country and he couldn't have mentioned any other to buttress his points so I don't know why you are derailing the post and changing what this is really about. People need great men/women with clout, huge followings to led successful protest whether they are pastors, imams or native doctors. What is so difficult to understand about this is something I just don't get. I wish you will all defend Jesus Christ the way you defend your Idols maybe, just maybe Nigeria might be a better place cos with the woes the country is facing it is evident you worship men rather than God and you wonder why your prayers are not heard. Return back to God and stop Idolizing any human o!
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 9:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
AmeboAjela:

By the way if you are a representative of CHRIST there is nothing to be refined about. Was John the Baptist refined? He was as RAW as you can get, a Fire Brand that is not afraid to speak against the rulers of his time. Pls spend time reading your Bible instead of waiting for someone called a Pastor/Bishop to read and interpret for you.
Amebo, i don't enjoy getting into all these free for all fight homepage threads, but i should add one or two things to what you've said. One, what is TRUTH? Saying your opinions on the politics in nigeria in all your messages? Or saying God told you to be the next vice-president by joining CPC? Two, what is the meaning of the words 'refined' and 'RAW'? Can you supply Bible passages that say/show that John the baptist was RAW? Was John influential? Did he lead a revolt or a protest? What did he say against the rulers of his time?
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Amalaaba: 9:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
I just had a report of killing of Hausa somewhere at Rumumasi, Portharcourt. The Northerners are leaving PH now in trailers, buses and any means they can get. Its horrible! I hope GEJ would help us in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by mickydu(m): 6:37am On Jan 08, 2012
After all people must Pay their tides. So no need for mobilising anybody to go against anything wrong in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by inedi: 7:02am On Jan 08, 2012
I think the major reason why Christian leader are quiet over this is simple, there economy is not of this world, there supply is from above, " when the world will say there is casting down we will say there is a lifting up" (job 22:29)
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 08, 2012
LMAO,
Their supply is not and never has been from above. Their supply has been from the congregation. If the congregation doesn't give, where would they be? Can they try that? Can they hurt their congregation?

I find myself having to repeat this verses on NL a lot these days.
Jeremiah 14
13 But I said, “Alas, Sovereign LORD! The prophets keep telling them, ‘You will not see the sword or suffer famine. Indeed, I will give you lasting peace in this place.’”
14 Then the LORD said to me, “The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries[a] and the delusions of their own minds. 15 Therefore this is what the LORD says about the prophets who are prophesying in my name: I did not send them, yet they are saying, ‘No sword or famine will touch this land.’ Those same prophets will perish by sword and famine. 16 And the people they are prophesying to will be thrown out into the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and sword. There will be no one to bury them, their wives, their sons and their daughters. I will pour out on them the calamity they deserve.

Image123:

Amebo, i don't enjoy getting into all these free for all fight homepage threads, but i should add one or two things to what you've said. One, what is TRUTH? Saying your opinions on the politics in nigeria in all your messages? Or saying God told you to be the next vice-president by joining CPC? Two, what is the meaning of the words 'refined' and 'RAW'? Can you supply Bible passages that say/show that John the baptist was RAW? Was John influential? Did he lead a revolt or a protest? What did he say against the rulers of his time?
Funny you should ask what is TRUTH? Trying to set up a trap for him? Any answer he gives you would probably get a 'I am the way, the truth and the light' respons.

When did GOD tell Bakare to join CPC? I may not know what TRUTH is but this is definitely the opposite of that.

Refined and raw? LMAO

7 As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 8 If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings’ palaces. [/b]9 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is the one about whom it is written:

“‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way before you.’[c]
11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence,[d] and violent people have been raiding it. 13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. 15 Whoever has ears, let them hear.

[b]16 “To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:

17 “‘We played the pipe for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

Oh my,

14 King Herod heard about this, for Jesus’ name had become well known. Some were saying, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”
15 Others said, “He is Elijah.” And still others claimed, “He is a prophet, like one of the prophets of long ago.”
16 But when Herod heard this, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has been raised from the dead!”
17 For Herod himself had given orders to have John arrested, and he had him bound and put in prison. He did this because of Herodias, his brother Philip’s wife, whom he had married.
[b]18 For John had been saying to Herod, “It is not lawful for you to have your brother’s wife.”
19 So Herodias nursed a grudge against John and wanted to kill him.
But she was not able to,
20 because Herod feared John and protected him, knowing him to be a righteous and holy man. When Herod heard John, he was greatly puzzled[c]; yet he liked to listen to him.
21 Finally the opportune time came. On his birthday Herod gave a banquet for his high officials and military commanders and the leading men of Galilee.
22 When the daughter of[d] Herodias came in and danced, she pleased Herod and his dinner guests. The king said to the girl, “Ask me for anything you want, and I’ll give it to you.”
23 And he promised her with an oath, “Whatever you ask I will give you, up to half my kingdom.”
24 She went out and said to her mother, “What shall I ask for?” “The head of John the Baptist,” she answered.
25 At once the girl hurried in to the king with the request: “I want you to give me right now the head of John the Baptist on a platter.”
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by sylve11: 7:37am On Jan 08, 2012
@poster, 60 million naira is enof 2 keep u silent 4 almost the rest of ur life. . .or wht do u think? cool
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by lastpage: 9:10am On Jan 08, 2012
The irony of the whole sad situation is that with the removal of fuel subsidy, THE CONGREGATION HAS JUST BECOME POORER!

That means "church income will naturally dwindle" but our MOG will "PROTEST" this action with a lot of "Biblical Verses" and invocation of hell-fire and some phantom devourer! grin grin.

At the end of the sermons, our GULLIBLE BRETHREN will dip further into their pockets and offer more to the fine Pastors!

What a shame, the poor will always get poorer indeed!

So, using 'guy-man sense", Jonathan wants to make more money.
using the same guy-man sense, MOG's want to make more money too.

Now they are "agreed in principle", WHY THEN DO YOU THINK ONE WILL DISTURB THE BUSINESS OF THE OTHER? shocked shocked wink

Fuel subsidy or not, my offering will no longer be subsidized" and no amount of "Thanks giving dance" can love-vendor my pocket further. grin grin

Lastpage
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by newmi(m): 10:44am On Jan 08, 2012
inedi:

I think the major reason why Christian leader are quiet over this is simple, there economy is not of this world, there supply is from above, " when the world will say there is casting down we will say there is a lifting up" (job 22:29)
As much as respect your thoughts and agree that as christians our supply and sustainance is from above (frm God)
James 1:17
Every good gift and every perfect gift is
from above, and cometh down from the
Father of lights, with whom is no
variableness, neither shadow of turning.
but l absolutely disagree with you when you suggest it a an basis for their holding back on the issue of subsidy.
The bible say that the church is the ground and pilar of truth

1 Timothy 3:15
15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by newmi(m): 10:48am On Jan 08, 2012
^^^^^
as the light of the world we as christians and our church leaders have a significant role to play in nation building so am of the opinion that they are only acting out in wisdom by perfecting their approach within the context of hte parametres the word of God provides
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorKun(m): 2:57pm On Jan 08, 2012
The insignificant and insincere 'cuts' in expenditure as announced by GEJ yesterday does not even begin to scratch the surface of the problem yet some people are applauding for 'taking a step in the right direction'. Any step short of withdrawing the 2012 appropriation bill currently before the NASS and replacing it with one in which recurrent expenditures has been slashed to not more than 30% of budget as opposed to the current 70% and capital expenditure increased in the same proportion while also capturing the savings to be made from subsidy removal as an addition to the capital vote, would be totally unacceptable to Nigerians. This should not be a fight to retain an abusive and cancerous subsidy but rather a fight for good governance, prudent management of resources and accountability from our leaders so that we can all be collectively better off as a nation.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorAIO: 6:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
So AIO, in other words, you're saying Jesus would today mobilize the people to protest against a 'democratic' government's policy?

@Image123

What a loaded statement? You must think that I'm as daft as your followers. In spite of your subtle suggestion above, the protest is not AGAINST DEMOCRACY. In fact democracy has nothing to do with it so whatever the insidious reason is that you have inserted 'democratic' into your statement above let me quickly dismiss it as irrelevant. People are protesting against a government policy (whether democratic or not is not the matter) that seeks to oppress them.

When the People of Israel first settled in Canaan there were many attempts to oppress them and each time god would raise up a Judge from amongst the people to throw off the shackles of the oppressors. That suggests to me that political freedom is very much on God's agenda.

Jesus definitely concerned himself with the welfare of his people. Today's G.O's are only concerned with the welfare of people to the extent of telling them how to pay their tithes in order to attain prosperity. But if they have to work or fight for that prosperity there is no G.O to encourage them. Haba, that is not fair na!
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
AmeboAjela:

muskeeto, i believe you should learn to put apply context, not jumping in from previous argument as it were. l've asked amebo questions based especially on the bolded statements above, not to trap her or anything of such. her answering the questionS would give her better understanding of what she's written. I'm not asking to know per say, thanks for your effort.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 8:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
AIO, in a response to alethia, you said

For Jesus to do so would be for him to
send the people to their death. In
fact the Jews did 'go out into the
streets to protest' a few decades later.
That was the end of Israel as a
country up until 1948. The Romans
massacred them. Jesus did not live
under the government by the people
for the people so the people airing
their voices was not a viable political
option.
to me, that seems to IMPLY that Jesus did not lead a revolt because it wasn't' a democratic setting. That's why I asked a QUESTION, A QUESTION. that's a question mark, not a smiley or concluded opinion. Plus I don't have followers. What is all this nonsense about daft followers, and anti-tithers always subtly inserting a tithe argument in every discussion. if you have no peace not giving your tithes, no need spreading your worries to everyone else na
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by PastorAIO: 8:56pm On Jan 08, 2012
Image123:

AIO, in a response to alethia, you saidto me, that seems to IMPLY that Jesus did not lead a revolt because it wasn't' a democratic setting. That's why I asked a QUESTION, A QUESTION. that's a question mark, not a smiley or concluded opinion. Plus I don't have followers. What is all this nonsense about daft followers, and anti-tithers always subtly inserting a tithe argument in every discussion. if you have no peace not giving your tithes, no need spreading your worries to everyone else na

Okay, I was unaware of the context of your question. I apologise.

However, 'airing their voices' is not the same thing as a revolt.

What is going on in Nigeria is not a revolt. What Martin Luther King did in the civil rights movement was not a revolt. In fact he was actually seeking for the constitution of the US to be properly upheld and applied to all it's citizens.

Nigerian pastors and G.O-s have already gotten themselves deeply involved in the politics of Nigeria. Always praying for this or that leader, endorsing this or that candidate, etc etc etc . . . They are always 'speaking out against corruption' but never acting out against it. So all of a sudden the country is up in protest and they keep strangely quiet. They are not involved. Wassup?

ps. Sorry about the 'daft followers' part.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by Image123(m): 1:53am On Jan 09, 2012
^
apologies accepted.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by jascon1(m): 8:51pm On Jan 09, 2012
i share same thot with u, mr poster, its so obvious they are political boys cheering the presidential seat, they praise men in power and decline to face them with the truth about actualities of life and salvation. God and Caesar stand parallel and those "leaders" idolize and respect power and control rather than spiritual leadership. they ask us to fast and pray,but how come the average member go thin during fasting and they grow fattened and robust? lol, only fools can be fooled, am not ignorant and hypnotized, they are politicians wearing pure garments, christ, paul, true christians et al faced arrest and torture for their faith, how many so called "men of god" have been arrested for standing up for the truth these "leaders" pally with top governmental bodies and take side with them, and deceive the common masses
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by vedaxcool(m): 9:26pm On Jan 09, 2012
It is glad to see that Nigerians are beginning to see that because one is a religious leaders does not confer on him any form of infallibility.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by lastpage: 9:48pm On Jan 10, 2012
Like Fela Anikulapo Kuti Sang:

[size=14pt]"Na Paddy-Pady Government we dey Ooooo, Egbami Ooooo, Na Arrangee Government we dey Oooooo, Yeparipa Ooooo"[/size]

What do you expect?

Lastpage!

Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by plaetton: 2:40am On Jan 11, 2012
I think you people are giving these so called MOG more credit than they deserve. These people are showmen. They are master illusionists. They are pulpit pimps selling bling bling theology. They do not and can never be expected togenuinely empathise with their flock. They are just another face of the same rapacious elite/ cabal that feed fat on the misery of the masses. Wake up.
If the fuel subsidy removal will render their captive flock poorer, more miserable and confused , then its praise the lord for these MOGs, because their power and their pockets will surely increase.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by jascon1(m): 6:11am On Jan 12, 2012
they aren't from God, they thrive on power n fame, Jesus condemned it when he was adorned with, but these men build flambo houses and expensive schools wiith money generated from the church and yet they refuse to help the poor, they will not fight for us, they are just same ppl as the cabal, we fool ourselves blindly appraising and according them extra reverence
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by ichuka(m): 9:31am On Jan 12, 2012
@op
The "GRAPES" some of them collected and ate from the politicians have turned "SOUR".(Eze18:2).
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by manmustwac(m): 10:47am On Jan 12, 2012
They should be leading the masses like Moses who lead the Israelites through the desert. But then they are the biggest hypocrites.
Re: Why Are Our Christian Leaders Quiet On This Fuel Subsidy Issue? by fumisko(f): 7:23pm On Jul 10, 2012
Don't you think it's misplace meant of priorities for those men of God? The would only talk on political issue affecting the Christians like boko haram stuff not like those things. The we're called to ministry not politics remember

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do We See People Who Are Already Dead And Buried? / Vocalize Your Faith - Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / Let's Identify The Ways Satan Fight Christian Faith And Profer Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.