Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? (5795 Views)

The Crazy Experience Of A Bank Contract Staff / Doctors' Call Duty Bed At UDUTH Accident & Emergency Department!!! / Sack Looming In Nigerian Banks - 5 Things To Do Now If You Work In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by showstopa: 10:12am On Oct 08, 2007
i want to find out stuff from u

if i wanted to consider an IT field in the banking industry what certifications do u think i need

that is to work in any of their IT sections

i m expecting a reply from u
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by eko4show(m): 11:23am On Oct 08, 2007
mcse, ccna, mcdba, oca,ocp , cisa , cissp are all relevant to the banking industry.

i worked in the IT dept of a leading bank in naija for about five years so trust me on this.
the only issue would now be your area of interest, but suffice to say that whichever ares you choose to pursue, the banking sector has a lot of opportunities for seasoned /aspiring IT professionals.

again, be prepared to sacrifice most of your weekends and holidays. that was what really put me off eventually.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by saintchux(m): 11:33am On Oct 08, 2007
u want to be in communication unit - ccna/ccnp
IT security - Cissp,CISA
Engineering/support - MCSE.MCSA
DB Unit - MCDBA/OCP
Software unit - MCSD & Java

don't make the mistake someone made. by going certification crazy, go 4 the one that will be relevant to the area u want to be
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by deekseen(m): 1:21pm On Oct 08, 2007
I always trust Nairalanders for their prompt, precise and well articulated responses.
I like Saintchux' breakdown.
Now lets try that on Oil and Gas. Certification and breakdown please.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by smartsoft(m): 1:59pm On Oct 08, 2007
it's almost same thing if you wanna work in the oil and Gas industry
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by cecegorz(m): 3:25pm On Oct 08, 2007
U can take Saint Chuks' breakdown to d court. it's d best advice u can get. i'm in d IT dept. of d leading bank and i can tell u it's highly fulfilling if u have the passion. the bottomline is u must decide what u want and stay focused.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by Geezle(m): 3:47pm On Oct 08, 2007
ORACLE 11i or CISA? Which should I do? [flash=200,200]http://URGENT[/flash]
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by gabng(m): 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2007
All said i have only one question.

Is it compulsory that i have a degree in the sciences or engineering (plus the certifications) before i can work in the IT Dept of the Banking Sector. Or will any degree do (Considering what jamb has done to some of us)

Need a response soonest. Cos i need to make a life changing decision
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by saintchux(m): 5:43pm On Oct 08, 2007
gabng:

All said i have only one question.

Is it compulsory that i have a degree in the sciences or engineering (plus the certifications) before i can work in the IT Dept of the Banking Sector. Or will any degree do (Considering what jamb has done to some of us)

Need a response soonest. Cos i need to make a life changing decision

There is a big discrimination in degree and HND in banking sector. Have the whole IT certification with HND some bank will not look at u, but with degree in engineering, computer science and related course will do. I don't want to list any bank here. If u want to know more of those banks send me mail. my address is on my profile. IT certification is more of an added advantage to the place am working, not compulsory.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by ishmael(m): 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2007
saintchux:

There is a big discrimination in degree and HND in banking sector. Have the whole IT certification with HND some bank will not look at u, but with degree in engineering, computer science and related course will do. I don't want to list any bank here. If u want to know more of those banks send me mail. my address is on my profile. IT certification is more of an added advantage to the place am working, not compulsory.

Please what are those related courses?? could they be Mathematics, Statistics, Physics etc.??
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by benlay(m): 4:48am On Oct 09, 2007
the issue of sacrificing weekends & public holidays has got me thinking,i'm hoping to get a transfer to my office I.T dept,whc cert. will be the prioty now cos i'm already reading 4 CCNA/
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by McOmo(m): 6:27am On Oct 09, 2007
Dont deceive urselves ! There are so many certified people dt r jobless cos of what ? Experience ! The banks want u to have had a few yrs experience and aw do u do dat without 1st getting started ? Look 4 contract jobs or volunteer jobs initially then use dis as a medium to project what u want ur future employers to see u would be adding to the coy . . .
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by deekseen(m): 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2007
I was expecting stuffs like NDT and the rest when i mentioned certifications required in the oil and gas sector.

Can someone give me a list of these certifications please.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by timadel(m): 5:17pm On Oct 09, 2007
hi guys,i learnt the syllabus for ccna will be changed very soon.pls when exactly will this be?.also pls what is the current exam fee?
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by timadel(m): 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2007
hi fellas,is doubledating good or bad? pls candid opinions are required
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by whatnext: 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2007
Mc Omo, u talk well! No one wants a rookie, except if you wanna take the offer for free.

timadel:

hi fellas,is doubledating good or bad? please candid opinions are required

Double dating ke? Under Career.  Well, it's ok in as much as it's Oracle and Microsoft!  tongue

1 Like

Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by McOmo(m): 1:07am On Oct 10, 2007
Lmao . . Double dating indeed ! ask pple doing CCNA and MCSE !
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by benlay(m): 8:05am On Oct 10, 2007
it's better you're through with one before taking the other
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by McOmo(m): 10:54am On Oct 10, 2007
Talk of being 'unfocused' ! Hands on experience is priceless . . .
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by cecegorz(m): 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2007
It's good to get these things straight. Even if you are a graduate of your local dialect, you can enter and still excel in the IT world. The key word is passion. Don't be ashamed to start with a cafe in your vicinity, even it means working for a low wage or even free, you are only developing yourself for the big opportunity, with the experience and then the certifications, you get to move on from there. As a fresh graduate, you don't need any experience, you only must write and pass the bank's aptitude test first, followed by the oral interview(s), and then you are in.
The first few months in the banking, you are called an Executive Trainee(ET), meaning they are watching you to see where your skills and adaptation lies, this is when you need to buckle up with your certifications and start pushing up for the IT department.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by agursu: 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2007
Hey!
Could anyone here throw more lights to Rufus Giwa polytechnic Study centres in Lagos .
I learnt they were not given the accreditation to run HND programme while some were doing that. Pls this is very confusing.
can anyone help.
moreso, what did you guys know about columbus international university UK a distance learning programme that has study center in Lagos and p/H?
Are this people real?
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by DoubleN(m): 11:48am On Oct 12, 2007
Guys i have a question.I have gotten my CISSP certification, i will be writing my CCNA this week and i hope to get a Comptia Security+ certification by the end of the year.I'm really passionate about network security and i have some practical knowledge.I read Biochemistry in school, i will be going for service next year.My question is how do i break into the IT industry?Where do i get relevant work experience?
Please guys i really need your help!!!!
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by oIo(m): 4:14pm On Oct 12, 2007
Double N:

Guys i have a question.I have gotten my CISSP certification, i will be writing my CCNA this week and i hope to get a Comptia Security+ certification by the end of the year.I'm really passionate about network security and i have some practical knowledge.I read Biochemistry in school, i will be going for service next year.My question is how do i break into the IT industry?Where do i get relevant work experience?
Please guys i really need your help!!!!

This is the funniest post i have seen in a long while!!!
How on earth did you get CISSP and you dont have relevant work experience or u dont know where u are going, this is funny, CISSP before CCNA

1 Like

Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by gabng(m): 9:25pm On Oct 12, 2007
How about a degree in Education and an MCP, CCNA and CISSP?

Waiting for una reply
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by McOmo(m): 11:08pm On Oct 12, 2007
Double N . . .na Oluwole u get those palis 4rm ? Yeah rite !
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by iyererob: 2:09pm On Oct 13, 2007
hi saintchux,pls i need ur opinion on whether 2 wrk in bank or an oil firm because am a graduate of electrical electronics engineering.if am 2 work in a bank which dept wil i bst fit in an the necessary certification will need?thanx.
-Rob.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by saintchux(m): 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2007
iyererob:

hi saintchux,please i need your opinion on whether 2 wrk in bank or an oil firm because am a graduate of electrical electronics engineering.if am 2 work in a bank which dept wil i bst fit in an the necessary certification will need?thanx.
-Rob.

to work in a Bank or oil firm, choice is urs! ur career goal should be ur watch word. If i am in ur shoe, i will go for commuincation / telecom industries, that is where u belong. go for cisco certification and u will see that MTN, GLO & co will be looking for u. A friend of my who is an engineer was employed as a teller in a bank, from there to fund transfer and now to marketing. He is making money but he is complaining everyday about his career. But he don't want to resign b/c of d money.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 15, 2007
whats ur question about NDT? Shoot, perhaps I will have an authoritative answer 4 u
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by dskj56: 8:42am On Oct 16, 2007
Nairaland people, I have a complete[b] M.C.S.E(Microsoft certified systems engineer e-book) and dumps[/b] you can call me on +2348037376680 or +2348025401890 for more details.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by DoubleN(m): 2:44pm On Oct 16, 2007
@Mc Omo and oLo, The Cert no be Oluwole.I actually got my cert this year.The prob is that i actually put the wagon before the horse.As for the 5 years experience stuff,what i have is not working experience it's just stuff iv learnt by helping people out and doing some voluntarywork.If i was not serious about this i wouldn't have sent the post.Guys i really need some advice!
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by agursu: 5:48pm On Oct 17, 2007
hi folks, i really appreciate what you gys are doing as regards response to any topic raised by any member of the group.i will really appreciate if somebody can tell me what i need to know here.You discussed IT and its prospects in the employment market and all have contributed one way or the other.Pls help to address this issue for me.There exist a distance learning institution in Nigeria with regional head office in portharcourt and study center in Lagos.The name of the institution is Columbus international university, uk.I need to know if this school is real as there website is not functioning www.columbusiu.co.uk.

Pls help out so i can know if i can enrol for their programmes.
Re: Certifications Required For Job In IT Department Of A Bank? by scorpio1(m): 2:59am On Oct 20, 2007
I am currently doing MCSE with NIIT, but actually i graduated from Geology.
I need a pro in that field to take me up as my mentor.
Also saintchux have you got any concept for recruitment into the communications sector,i do not really like banking.
I also want to know if MCSE certifieds stand a chance in oil companies and what is really their function there.
Cheers grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? / Learn Basic And Survival Swimming (p.h Residence Only) / Nigerian Civil Defence Recruitment 2016 – NSCDC 2016 Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.