Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,577 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? (5787 Views)

Suggestions: What Would Be The Minimum Hourly Pay Rate For The Nigerian Workers? / FG Rejects Plans By Multichoice To Sack Nigerian Workers / See What Nigerian Workers Did To Their Boss Who Owed Them 4 Months Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by pocohantas(f): 8:39am On May 01, 2019
Today is Labour Day and I can't seem to find a single thread celebrating our workers.

Even on my WhatsApp, everyone just went on like nothing is happening.

Are Nigerian workers unhappy or did they forget what day it is?

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by pocohantas(f): 8:51am On May 01, 2019
Brief History of Workers Day;

Working people around the world have always had to struggle to win decent wages, and safe working conditions.

In the 1860’s they campaigned for shorter working hours in many countries.

On May 1, 1886, workers in Canada and the United States, held peaceful strikes and rallies to demand an eight-hour work day.

Two days later, Chicago police killed several demonstrators at a clash between workers and scabs in that city. A rally was held in Hay market Square to protest the killings, and when the police tried to forcibly disperse the crowd, a bomb was thrown. Seven policemen were killed; dozens in the crowd were injured.

Although, none had thrown the bomb, eight leaders of the Chicago workers movement were charged with the death of the policemen. They were all convicted. Four were executed, one died in custody, and three were given life imprisonment, but were eventually pardoned.

In memory of this struggle and the struggle of all workers for better conditions, May 1 was declared an eight-hour holiday in 1889, by the International Workers’ Congress in Paris.

In many countries May 1 is a workers’ holiday celebrated every year.

In Nigeria, May Day as a holiday was first declared by the People Redemption Party (PRP) Government of Kano State in 1980.

It became a national holiday on May 1, 1981.

https://www.informationng.com/2016/05/brief-history-of-workers-day-may-day.html

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by lilmax(m): 9:03am On May 01, 2019
90% of people work to survive, 10% are happy to work

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by pocohantas(f): 9:20am On May 01, 2019
Highlights on Unemployment Report in Nigeria (Q3 2018) by NBS

1. The overall unemployment rate is 23.1%. This comprises of people that are willing to work but can't find a job. 60% of these Nigerians fall within the age of 18-35years.

2. Nigeria's underemployment rate is 20.1%. People that work less than 8hrs a day.

I always thought underemployed are people who work plenty for little pay grin. I will stick to my definition.

3. During the quarter Q3 2018, 26.6% of women within the labour force (aged 16-64 and willing, able, and actively seeking work) were unemployed, compared with 20.3% of men within the same period.

4. The highest unemployment rate is in Akwa Ibom at 37.7%.

5. The lowest unemployment rate is in Osun State at 10.1%.

6. The region with the lowest average unemployment rate is the South West at 14.3%.

7. Region with the highest average unemployment rate is the South South at 31.29%.

8. The South East has an average unemployment rate of 23.41%.

9. North West has an average unemployment rate of 23.29%.

10. North Central has an average unemployment rate of 23.34%.

https://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/

https://www.proshareng.com/news/Nigeria%20Economy/Labour-Day-Celebrations--NBS-2018-Figures-Reveal-A-coming-Job-Market-Distress/45135

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Bossjakande: 9:38am On May 01, 2019
pocohantas:
Highlights on Unemployment Report in Nigeria (Q3 2018) by NBS

1. The overall unemployment rate is 23.1%. This comprises of people that are willing to work but can't find a job. 60% of these Nigerians fall within the age of 18-35years.

2. Nigeria's underemployment rate is 20.1%. People that work less than 8hrs a day.

I always thought underemployed are people who work plenty for little pay grin. I will stick to my definition.

3. During the quarter Q3 2018, 26.6% of women within the labour force (aged 16-64 and willing, able, and actively seeking work) were unemployed, compared with 20.3% of men within the same period.

4. The highest unemployment rate is in Akwa Ibom at 37.7%.

5. The lowest unemployment rate is in Osun State at 10.1%.

6. The region with the lowest average unemployment rate is the South West at 14.3%.

7. Region with the highest average unemployment rate is the South South at 31.29%.

8. The South East has an average unemployment rate of 23.41%.

9. North West has an average unemployment rate of 23.29%.

10. North Central has an average unemployment rate of 23.34%.

https://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/

https://www.proshareng.com/news/Nigeria%20Economy/Labour-Day-Celebrations--NBS-2018-Figures-Reveal-A-coming-Job-Market-Distress/45135
baby d truth is most are in pains and not happy. is DAT life most cant afford a car most can Neva become a landlord or ur boss owe u. see barstard govt DAT owe for months. is yaya bello not a fool how can u owe 38month and expect God not to purnish u. we all attack Regina Daniel and others but dey take d easy way in life. dont blame them. Nigerian workers are not happy simple.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by pocohantas(f): 10:06am On May 01, 2019
Bossjakande:
baby d truth is most are in pains and not happy. is DAT life most cant afford a car most can Neva become a landlord or ur boss owe u. see barstard govt DAT owe for months. is yaya bello not a fool how can u owe 38month and expect God not to purnish u. we all attack Regina Daniel and others but dey take d easy way in life. dont blame them. Nigerian workers are not happy simple.

Lol @pains.

While this is true, the total indifference to today calls for concern. I pray we eventually get it right as a nation.
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Bossjakande: 10:13am On May 01, 2019
pocohantas:

Lol @pains.

While this is true, the total indifference to today calls for concern. I pray we eventually get it right as a nation.
we are different from other country dear. I other African country are getting beta while we are getting worst. we have resources but dont use of well. it is well

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by tstx(m): 10:51am On May 01, 2019
No they aren't
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by vizkiz: 10:52am On May 01, 2019
Being a Nigerian in Nigeria is enough to make you unhappy.

This country is full of shìt

10 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Lotel: 10:52am On May 01, 2019
Most of them aren't happy and that's the truth
Entrepreneurs are still the happiest jare

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Uyi168: 10:52am On May 01, 2019
Are there reasons for them to be happy??

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Poorboy: 10:52am On May 01, 2019
No
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by tiredoflife(m): 10:52am On May 01, 2019
U no say dem no happy
U dey still dey ask
Which kind mumu question be dis

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by tstx(m): 10:53am On May 01, 2019
Bossjakande:

Never take any Nigerian stats seriously.... All na trash
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Bizibi(m): 10:53am On May 01, 2019
They are happy!!! What sort of question is this.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Akuruoulo(m): 10:54am On May 01, 2019
no citizen is happy. so tell me if the workers aren't citizens too .
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by uuzba(m): 10:55am On May 01, 2019
pocohantas:
Today is Labour Day and I can't seem to find a single thread celebrating our workers.

What I need now, is your house address.
Your head needs to be konked for asking this type of question.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Nobody: 10:55am On May 01, 2019
How will a state owe the workers 38 month salary shocked

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Chukwurah003: 10:55am On May 01, 2019
pocohantas:

How can anyone be happy after enduring 16 years of PDP?

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by omoadeleye(m): 10:57am On May 01, 2019
We need good rewards for our work
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by luluman: 10:57am On May 01, 2019
Only senators & politicians are happy o.
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by lucy000: 10:58am On May 01, 2019
LET ME TEACH TO BE A DIGITAL MEDIA MARKETER EMPLOYERS AND CLIENTS WANT TO HIRE IN 4 WEEKS NO BULLSHIT 100% PRACTICAL

I am ZENOS. A Certified Digital Media Marketing professional with several years of practical experience, project portfolios and awards when it comes to Digital Media Marketing.

I have trained hundreds of individuals and corporate staff in the field of DIGITAL MARKETING as well as developed various Digital solutions for Organisations - large and small scale entrepreneur.

Let me and other DIGITAL MARKETING professional train you to be the Digital Media Marketer Employers and clients want to hire - how to implement the digital media marketing mix - paid and guerilla marketing, social media management, build inbound traffic, content creation for Ads, create designs needed for your Ads campaign and email marketing etc

AREAS TO BE COVERED IN THIS INTENSIVE TRAINING

The Breakdown of Curriculum that covers EVERYTHING you would practically learn during the training period can be obtained on the website link in banner or better still reach our customer care to request for curriculum sent to you via email

FEES: N28,000 - DISCOUNT FOR EARLY PAYMEN and N30,000 - PAYMENT ON TRAINING DAY

CLASS COMMENCEMENT DATE: Monday, 25th of March, 2019

TIME (10am – 2pm) – Time subject to changes for flexibility

PERIOD: 4 Weeks Marathon Training (Weekends and 3 times a Week training available but with higher charges)

CERTIFICATION: Certificates issued At End of Training at a little extra cost

VENUE: IKEJA LAGOS (UNLIMITED INTERNET WIFI AVAILABLE!)

REQUIRED: Just Your Laptop and passion for online and digital media

OUR FIRM GUARANTEE: THIS OUR GUARANTEE - WE WONT TRAIN YOU THE WAY EVEN SOME OF THE BIGGEST ICT TRAINING CENTERS & NAMES IN NIGERIA DO (SOME USUALLY TEACH NONSENSE, IF YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW) - WE WILL TRAIN AND IMPACT YOU TO BE AN ICT PROFESSIONAL WITH JOB-READY KNOWLEDGE DURING AND AFTER GRADUATION - YES, WITH 1,000% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Angelfrost(m): 10:59am On May 01, 2019
uuzba:

Very weird and pretentious question... Between those that support the continued failings of the government, and those that pretend that all is well with the nation, I wonder who is worse

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Miracle4Sure: 11:01am On May 01, 2019
tongue
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by pocohantas(f): 11:01am On May 01, 2019
uuzba:

Ahnahn, calm down Sir.

It is a rhetorical question na.
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Athena4: 11:05am On May 01, 2019
What is there to celebrate. Today is just like any other.Tomorrow the struggle continues.
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by Nobody: 11:10am On May 01, 2019
Expression of Interest is needed for the supply of the following:

1. Palm oil; red_oil (budget amount,$225,000)

2. Cow Horns ((budget amount,$285,000)

3. Kerosene (budget amount,N2.500,000)

4. Cassava (budget amount,$255,000)

5. Cow Skin;fresh pomo, (budget amount,$100,000)

6. Charcoals (budget amount $500,000

7. Timber (budget amount $1.5m)

8. Gas; liquids cooking gas (budget $3m)

9.Skilled workers; Computer programmers ~to create/ develops software (budget amount $35,000)

Buyers are in Nigeria,Ghana,Dubai, Kenya, China, Egypt and Malta.

Call 08162504225 to view quantities and buyers info.
Re: Are Nigerian Workers Unhappy? by raphy(m): 11:12am On May 01, 2019
when they owe you ur salary what is there to be happy for. staying home while hunger is beating you like thief.

you only need to be happy that you are alive and see a new month while others are unfortunate.

thats all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn Basic And Survival Swimming (p.h Residence Only) / Nigerian Civil Defence Recruitment 2016 – NSCDC 2016 Recruitment / Second Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.