Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,131 members, 7,821,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

"Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? (9967 Views)

She Can't Stand His Family,what should she do? / This Happened In My Family. What Would You Have Done / Finding It Difficult Managing N80k Salary In Lagos With Family.what Shall I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by LaParisienne(f): 5:53pm On Jan 13, 2012
As we just passed that "time of year", some of us felt excited; others became sad and a little bittersweet.Some lucky people had gorgeous Christmas celebrations with their loving families/loved ones and others opted to stay on their own.

Whether we like it or not, we often spend time during this time of year reflecting upon the relationships we have with our families/loved ones.

So, what does the word “family” mean to you? Not just during Christmas, but overall. How do you feel about your family?

-Are they loving and supportive?
-Do they measure up to your expectations and more?
-Are you disappointed with them?
-Is there something about your family that bothers you and you wish it would change?
-Is Nairaland your only family?
-What's your remedy for a better child/parent or sibling relationship?

Here’s your opportunity to let it all out and share your loving stories and/or grievances with the rest of us.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by LaParisienne(f): 6:14pm On Jan 13, 2012
I am not married yet. For me, family means: my parents,, my sister, my brothers, a few uncles, a few aunts and a handful of cousins. I had a tough relationship with my parents when I was growing up for some reasons. But that's all in the past because they realised their mistakes and started showing us love, especially my mum. Although it came late, it's better than nothing.
My sister is my best friend, she understands me more than anyone else. My first brother is very intelligent, I love him dearly. My last brother is like my son, I was there when he was born and I love him more than anything in this world. I also have a wonderful uncle, he's more than a father to me. I always tell him that he's the best uncle ever.
These people are the most important people in my life. I miss them so much when I don't see them often and I communicate with them everyday.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by ronkebp(f): 7:46pm On Jan 13, 2012
Family= nuclear + extended.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by LaParisienne(f): 8:24pm On Jan 13, 2012
ronkebp:

Family= nuclear + extended.

Ofcourse weall know the meaning of family as we were taught in Elementary school. If you read my post, you would what I'm refering to.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by ifyalways(f): 8:53pm On Jan 13, 2012
Nuclear family=Topmost priority,after God na dem.

Extended family(mine,in laws,uncles,aunts,cousins etc)=love them all equally.Would always be there for them and vice versa.

Close friends=Extension of extended family.sink or sail,boundaries exist but we are closely knit.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 13, 2012
1. Hubby - Role model, friend and confidant, would be lost without him. My first consideration in all circumstances
2. Kids - Centre of my world, having known the unselfish love of children, life would pretty much be meaningless without them
3. Parents/ parents' in law, siblings, siblings in law - Wonderful lot, the bitter-sweet journey of life wouldn't be same without them
4. Extended family & loyal friends - Life companions,they simply make life beautiful

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by ronkebp(f): 10:07pm On Jan 13, 2012
La Parisienne:

Ofcourse weall know the meaning of family as we were taught in Elementary school. If you read my post, you would what I'm refering to.

Was just stating what the word meant to me in literal and simple terms, the figurative meaning will not end if i start to type, moreso, i don't like typing much. wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Callimo(m): 1:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
Family means everything after God.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On Jun 01, 2012
Family nowadays means NOTHING . . Just some bunch of people that ought to have your back, but they are the one that will sell you out to the highest bidder, that is what they are NOW.
But Family ought to be:
Supportive
Loving
Caring and have your back at all times.

2 Likes

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by kilimanjaro(m): 4:28pm On Jun 01, 2012
It means where to go when u have problem
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Fhemmmy: 4:28pm On Jun 01, 2012
kilimanjaro: It means where to go when u have problem

That is what is is supposed to mean, not what it mean

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by miteolu(m): 4:29pm On Jun 01, 2012
Family is what family does.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:39pm On Jun 01, 2012
It means send us money till you get old and dont achieve anything!!!!

2 Likes

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 01, 2012
Family means people who ride for me...

If you can ride or die for me, you're my family - if you can't, you're just anybody...
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Afam4eva(m): 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
To me, Family is anybody that's close to me. Whether my immediate family, friends etc.

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Okeycima: 4:43pm On Jun 01, 2012
Entire Family=nuclear +extended family family=nuclear family only
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 01, 2012
NRI PRIEST: It means send us money till you get old and dont achieve anything!!!!

Boi, I didn't know okija_juju was a parasite.. shocked shocked

I feel for you, bruv. sad
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Okeycima: 4:45pm On Jun 01, 2012
Entire Family=nuclear +extended family family=nuclear family only and pls am new to dis forum i need guide and friendz to help me to settle down
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by BBDelta(m): 4:46pm On Jun 01, 2012

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by crackhouse(m): 5:39pm On Jun 01, 2012
Means Group of people with the same blood group & genotype and that's why we always say that sth "runs in their blood" which equally means "it runs in their family".
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by kemiola89(f): 5:39pm On Jun 01, 2012
Family! as in my nuclear family means the whole world to me! This world wouldnt have been a better place for me without them! I always look up to them whenever i feel down and depressed, and there've always been there for me most especially my sweet, loving, and caring mum.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by sophy09: 5:51pm On Jun 01, 2012
To me family is mum, dad, brothers and sisters. Although there were aunts and uncles, I saw them as fair weather. Through my ups and downs they happen to be the only ones who stood by me. Although we have our grievances whereby you are mad at each other and you never want to talk to each other again. You will be surprised when one is down the other is there to lift you up.

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by bayulll01(m): 5:59pm On Jun 01, 2012
for me family are those who watch your back,those that stay with you during trials and tribulations not haters,to be precise anybody that love and cares for me is my family.remember yoruba proverb,kosi alajobi mo,alajogbe lowa,love my nairaland family,but hate beef,okija juju lmao.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by dayokanu(m): 6:02pm On Jun 01, 2012
It might include your pet too
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by bayulll01(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2012
dayokanu: It might include your pet too
u are ryt
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2012
shymmex:

Boi, I didn't know okija_juju was a parasite.. shocked shocked

I feel for you, bruv. sad

You dont understand what am saying; I have never depended on anybody in my whole long suffering life!

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by sucezTP(f): 6:26pm On Jun 01, 2012
La Parisienne:      As we just passed that "time of year", some of us felt excited; others became sad and a little bittersweet.Some lucky people had gorgeous Christmas celebrations with their loving families/loved ones and others opted to stay on their own.

Whether we like it or not, we often spend time during this time of year reflecting upon the relationships we have with our families/loved ones.

So, what does the word “family” mean to you? Not just during Christmas, but overall. How do you feel about your family?

-Are they loving and supportive?
-Do they measure up to your expectations and more?
-Are you disappointed with them?
-Is there something about your family that bothers you and you wish it would change?
-Is Nairaland your only family?
-What's your remedy for a better child/parent or sibling relationship?

Here’s your opportunity to let it all out and share your loving stories and/or grievances with the rest of us.

Family, to me, is a grp of pple bounded by happinez, love, unity....

Weneva i find mysef among pple dat make me feel happy, i see dem as my family.

My personal family though, have been so supportive n loving.. I'm glad to b born in dat family...
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 01, 2012
NRI PRIEST:
You dont understand what am saying; I have never depended on anybody in my whole long suffering life!

I understand what you're saying, bruv.. I was just playing with you. grin grin

Same here, I was a raised as the 'black sheep' in my 'family', and I have been independent since I was 16..

The widely accepted definition of 'family' is also bogus to me.. Though, I love my blood 'family' to death and would die for them, but my real 'family' would always be anyone who can shed blood and tears for me... Mutual feelings, brother.. cool

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 01, 2012
Notable quote

"Blood family, but can they shed their blood for you??- if they can't testify with you, they're not fit to be called your family.. " - Shymmex (circa 2012)

1 Like

Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by emmyitodo: 6:44pm On Jun 01, 2012
My family is my source of strenght and my hiding place during dificult times. They stick by me no matter d circumstances. I take pride knowing these God's gifts to me are my friends also, their success is my great delight and my alter ego.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by Orikinla(m): 7:49pm On Jun 01, 2012
My family comes next after my faith in God.
I don't expect perfection from them, just HONESTY at all times. And I will do my best for them.
I love every member of my family.
I love my family more than my country.
Re: "Family"- What Does This Word Mean To You? by slimyem: 8:47pm On Jun 01, 2012
my family-just nuclear!
They are not perfect though but I love them to pieces.
will do almost anything for them and so will they...for me!
I care about a few cousins and aunts too but the rest can go fcck themselves!cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Family Budget That Works - updated with spread sheet. / How To Reduce Your Prepaid Meter Credit Consumption / How Do You Punish Your Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.