Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree (2168 Views)

Hnd/bsc Or IT Certifications / List Of All IT Certifications 1611 / Pls The 5 Most Valuable It Certifications In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by lumide007(m): 9:44pm On Oct 08, 2007
i have a third class degree in industrial chemistry and iam looking forward to obtaining certifications in information technology  with aptech computer education which will last  another 3yrs degree in computing.here is the breakdown of how the certificates will be awarded
  year one; certificate  proficiencyin information systems management.
                  diploma in information systems management.
  year two:higher  diploma in software engineering.
  year three:advanced  diploma in software engineering
  please advice me on what to do
Re: Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by AhmedGuru(m): 7:03pm On Oct 17, 2007
With the look of things, Aptech is trying to groom you to be a software developer. But, alas my friend you don't have to go and spend 3 years in learning how to program. The question is if you spend 3 yrs on training, when will you start the real profession and when will you accrue experience.

If you really want to be a programmer, all you need is readiness to learn with strong mindset; a PC and books on your programming language of choice. However, if what you want to learn is not programming (may be network/database admin), then you can consider Aptech training

For your 3rd class issue, as far as IT profession is concern, most especially software development we are not interested in what you graduate with but what you can do as at present. So don't let that bother you. Just concentrate on your new chosen field and try to become a master.

Good Luck.
Re: Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by IykeD(m): 10:02am On Oct 18, 2007
Well said, needless to add more
Re: Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by dasersoft: 1:07pm On Oct 18, 2007
AhmedGuru, you have really impress me with your response to this future programmer. Class or no Class we are more interesting in your script. the better guys are classless people. Third class is good for certificate but you must make first class in your personality. Programming is an art, it makes you create your own world. be ready to read more than you did in industrial chemistry. i hope ahmedguru has convinced you a lot?
dasersoft
Re: Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by ritchboy(m): 7:56pm On Oct 18, 2007
apteks tuition fees are off the charts!!! 60 grand a month.i did d math n discovered its about 5 grand a class(3 classes a week).Dats 15 grand a week! I'm also interested in learnin IT, considering hiit or niit.
Re: Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by Essien56(m): 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2007
If you can afford the fees, go for it. At the end of the programme, you will become a Software Developer based on industry standard rather than the cut and join approach of reading books and listening to CDs on your own. Am not saying with this programme you wont read books. Infact, IT requires a lot of reading for you to be up to date. There is an extent to which you can go on your own. Am telling you this from experience. Am going for a BEng Software Engineering course in the UK next year for two years in spite of the cost.

Don't allow anybody to confuse you. Find out from them how far they have gone with their programming career as cut and join developers. Go for the best if you can afford it.

Take care.
Re: Can IT Certifications Get Me a Profitable Job With My Third Class Degree by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Oct 23, 2007
I happen to have gotten my undergraduate in both BioChemistry and Computer science and then while I was working on my Masters in Chemistry Focused on a career in IT. MOre and more IT is not always about how much education you have but how skilled you are. I am not certified in anything yet and do not see myself getting one of those till maybe 2 years from now but I work as a software engineer and have been able to keep my job cause I have been able to show that I have the skills needed. I believe having samples of work and being able to produce as needed is key when it comes to a career in IT. There are many people out there who claim to be IT pros and have certificates and all to offer but when put to work can not deliver. Know your work and when you go for work prove yourself over those who have more degrees than you do and you might get the job.

There are many IT pros here who never went to college or had to get any certificate, they leant on their own and they are getting paid even as much or sometimes more than those who had to deal with school.

(1) (Reply)

Computer Based Test (cbtest) In Django (opensource) / The Most Awesome Screen Recorder For Chrome – Vidmore Screen Recorder / Database Normalization (help Please)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.